BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
typedcl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e (2023)

45e errors/warnings when EV battery is drained?

Ran into this strange situation with my 45e:

I had just driven a couple hundred miles in hybrid mode and the EV battery was drained (dashboard showed zero and --- for range).

I powered off the car and turned it back on 5 min later. I got a bunch of warnings immediately:
- cont. driving: Drivetrain Malfunction
- cont. driving: all wheel drive
- cont. driving: power steering
- cont. driving: stability control
- cont. driving: reduced power

(Sorry these aren't the exact error messages.)

I was able to drive the car, but it seem to want to upshift at 3000rpm exactly. I get home and charge it up to full, overnight.

The next day, it showed still Drivetrain Malfunction but the other messages were gone. After driving it for a few minutes the drivetrain malfunction went away and the only indicator left was the engine light on the dashboard. After another 15-20 minutes of driving (and another restart), that went away too.

Anyone see this before?

I was always left with the impression that the car would work fine if the EV battery were drained... Maybe HVAC wouldn't work and the power would be reduced.. But it seems like something else went wrong for all these messages to appear.

If it matters, it's a 2023, about 6 weeks old. ~2k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
even when the electric range shows - - - on the cluster, the vehicle should operate seamlessly and without error. that’s been my experience over 2y with mine. I ran it to - - - several times. whether local or highway driving, the vehicle then proceeds to charge the HV battery such that 1-2 miles is seen on the cluster and HVAC continues to function without interruption. I’ve even posted results of a test that showed the ICE will turn on and off cyclically to keep the HV battery charged while the vehicle is idle.

I’d take it to the dealer to see if they can pull any codes. search “drivetrain malfunction” here, and you’ll find some real unfortunate experiences.
Appreciate 1
typedcl25.50
      12-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
typedcl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e (2023)

Got it checked out at the dealership.

They said it needed a software update to fix a message fault between modules.

Hopefully that's it.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4647.50