BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-29-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Just floating this question out there to any 45E owners. As I contemplate taking advantage of high used car rates right now and putting in a new build for an X5, I am intrigued by the hybrid. For the most part my commute is about 25 miles each way, mostly highway. I am wondering if anyone has regrets choosing a hybrid versus the regular gas 40i. I have never owned a hybrid before so I'm a little bit cautious.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Highway isn't what this car is designed for. You can do it, but you'll probably use up the battery on your trip to work and have to use gas on the way back. The gas mileage isn't as good on the 45e as on the 40i.

I don't have any regrets though. The battery has been awesome for running around town.
Appreciate 2
BAO_7237.50
JALS26.50
      03-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Highway isn't what this car is designed for. You can do it, but you'll probably use up the battery on your trip to work and have to use gas on the way back. The gas mileage isn't as good on the 45e as on the 40i.

I don't have any regrets though. The battery has been awesome for running around town.
I have seen some videos showing that in hybrid mode the car will use gas or electric depending on what's most efficient at the time. So it won't just run down the battery and then have to resort to gas. On the highway it apparently will preferentially use the gas as it's more efficient. Is that your experience on longer trips?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There are various modes:
- EV
- Hybrid
- Adaptive
- Eco
- SPort

They each play with the two motors and can combine them as long as there's still some battery capacity left (or, you can tell it to retain some, but it then uses the engine more).

About 65% of my miles so far are from the electric motor, and I just looked which showed my current MPG is 67.4mpg since new. If you can't recharge at work, you'll likely end up with an empty battery each day, and may put 40% of the miles on from gasoline...still, with the price of fuel and electricity, you'll probably come out ahead. On a long road trip, the 40i may end up better because it is lighter. So, it comes down to what is your anticipated use pattern. Mine is mostly shorter trips and I can nearly always start out with a full battery. If you're depleting the battery each day and then need to use gasoline, your results won't be as good. Adaptive mode, especially if you put in a destination to the nav system, looks at the terrain, the speed limits, and decides which mode is the most efficient, and is the mode I am in most of the time.

Keep in mind that this is the third model year for the thing, so most of the teething problems have been worked out, it's just that it's the first year for US sales.
Appreciate 3
jphcbpa314.50
Quaze2231.50
GordoCLM214.00
      03-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I haven't driven much highway so I don't have an assessment for that, but the 45e completely fits my use case (daily work commutes are 20 miles round trip). I got so excited using electric from the get-go that I'm only now breaking in the ICE.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #6
sunfarm
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021Tesla Model3LR,BMW X5 45e

I am own 45E just 4 days and was driven only electric mode. 29 miles total on a one charge and back to full charge ( Level 2 ) 4h 50min. For me 29 miles(47km) more than enough. Tomorrow will paint rims (black) and PPF + ceramic coating. Will put pictures of my beast when job complete!
Appreciate 4
      03-29-2021, 11:17 PM   #7
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Question for for existing owners..
Curious how longs trips go where charging isn't an option at any point? Driving 100+ miles to a destination then driving around for days (beach/slopes/etc). I am thinking about the usual family weekend away or weeklong vacation.

Does driving the car in hybrid mode in a situation like this function like a non-plug-in hybrid? Where the car will maintain the battery to some extent and optimize when to use each? Or does it just deplete down to 0 and you are stuck in ICE once depleted?

I am fine with paying a few mpg on the highway/higher speeds if it means I could keep the battery for assistance in traffic/low speeds but I wouldn't want to keep fiddling with modes
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #8
AlZ4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Question for for existing owners..
Curious how longs trips go where charging isn't an option at any point? Driving 100+ miles to a destination then driving around for days (beach/slopes/etc). I am thinking about the usual family weekend away or weeklong vacation.

Does driving the car in hybrid mode in a situation like this function like a non-plug-in hybrid? Where the car will maintain the battery to some extent and optimize when to use each? Or does it just deplete down to 0 and you are stuck in ICE once depleted?

I am fine with paying a few mpg on the highway/higher speeds if it means I could keep the battery for assistance in traffic/low speeds but I wouldn't want to keep fiddling with modes
Yes, it behaves like a non-plug-in hybrid when the batter shows depleted. You only have access to 17kw (US model) of the battery and it's a 24kw battery so there is a large reserve. You can set a maximum discharge percentage as well, if you want, but I have not had a reason for that.

I have had the X5 for 2 months. 670 miles on electric and 30 miles on ICE. Will be taking a 400 mile road trip next month.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #9
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

For me it seemed like a no-brainer... same performance, and less fossil fuel. I believe the 40i is rated at 23mpg while the 45e is 20mpg, without electric assist. Assuming at least 26 miles of pure electric driving, you should be better off in the 45e for any trip less than 200 miles, at a minimum. That would be literally running it electric until a dead battery and then all gas for the remaining 174 miles. But with the hybrid and navigation calculating the best combination of gas to battery, it should provide even better efficiencies. I would imagine that the 45e with a full charge, would be more efficient for a full tank of gas. The problem is when you can't recharge on the return trip. But in those limited cases, the shorter trips should more than make up for it over the life of the 45e. I'm not factoring electric cost, as that isn't important to me. If I can afford this car, I can afford the cost to run it. What is more important is reducing fossil fuel consumption and engine pollution. I feel like stop and go traffic would be really pleasant in a full electric mode, an added benefit. The only downside to me, was the loss of some storage space. I guess there is some weight performance hit, but I'm not looking to hit the track in it. If they had included fast charging it would have been the perfect car, but then BMW needs to keep you on the hook for the next improved model

I don't take delivery until the end of April, so none of this is first hand experience.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      03-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
Just floating this question out there to any 45E owners. As I contemplate taking advantage of high used car rates right now and putting in a new build for an X5, I am intrigued by the hybrid. For the most part my commute is about 25 miles each way, mostly highway. I am wondering if anyone has regrets choosing a hybrid versus the regular gas 40i. I have never owned a hybrid before so I'm a little bit cautious.
I would take the 45e 100% of the time over the 40i.
Appreciate 3
      03-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #11
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I have a PHEV, they are great. I never drive in electric only, if I wanted to do that I would have bought a BEV. A PHEV works best in Hybrid mode, I am returning around, 43% driving in electric, and 30mpg on a 455hp vehicle, and I use the power.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #12
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, it tries to charge the battery but depending on the roads, it may not be able to charge much. But I specifically bought a plug in to go places where there is no good charging infrastructure. That's what the gas engine is for.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #13
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

I am close to ordering one. At first I was concerned about depreciation but I looked at the comparable numbers of the 2018 x5 hybrid vs the gas 35i and they were almost exactly the same.

The only that actually really bugs me is no spare can fit in it. And I really hate run flats. And also if I go up to 21 inch wheels there are no all season run flats in those sizes!

For the owners with 21s, what are you going to do for winter tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #14
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

I picked mine up in Mid January. Have driven from Ohio to Florida and back. My office is 3 miles from home so I last filled up 2/15/21 and still have over 3/4 tank of gas. Installed a level 2 home charger and it charges from empty to full in a hair over 5 hours. I pay .045 per Kwh, so it only costs me .80-.90 cents for a complete charge.

Bottom line is that it depends on your driving. If you work 10-15 miles from home it would be perfect. As long as I stay under 65mph on the highway, it will mostly be using electric.
Appreciate 2
viperdoc364.00
jphcbpa314.50
      03-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #15
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post
I picked mine up in Mid January. Have driven from Ohio to Florida and back. My office is 3 miles from home so I last filled up 2/15/21 and still have over 3/4 tank of gas. Installed a level 2 home charger and it charges from empty to full in a hair over 5 hours. I pay .045 per Kwh, so it only costs me .80-.90 cents for a complete charge.

Bottom line is that it depends on your driving. If you work 10-15 miles from home it would be perfect. As long as I stay under 65mph on the highway, it will mostly be using electric.
Thanks that's helpful info. I live in Florida at the moment and my commute is about 25 miles each way. Even if half my trip is taken up using electric only I would cut my gas use in half easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #16
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I am actually considering it for my son going off to college. Only concern on my end is the recalls already for the car.
      03-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #17
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

How much is gas in Florida? It's just under $4 here in California. Pretty easy to make up that 3mpg highway difference btw the 40i. If you run errands around town and use that battery, you'll notice a dramatic difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #18
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
How much is gas in Florida? It's just under $4 here in California. Pretty easy to make up that 3mpg highway difference btw the 40i. If you run errands around town and use that battery, you'll notice a dramatic difference.
Premium is around $3, slightly less at most pumps (2.87-2.95)

I've never owned a hybrid so a bit nervous, though the reviews are stellar and I think I would see a big savings in gas. Also seems like I would have the same driving experience. I am not an aggressive driver, but like the car to feel good while driving. I like the drivability of the 40i and am nervous about ordering a car I haven't driven. But it is impossible to find one to drive in the panhandle
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

No regrets

- And very, very happy. I surely try to drive mostly in electric mode around the town for shopping etc as it surprises me how OK with power it is only from the electric motor. It shouldent be like this looking at the spec only with 113 BHP .Additionally you may get "addicted" to the electric mode also - it's very comfortable. And then - no worries if it's a few miles extra home and the batt. is out - you will always get home as opposite to a pure electric car.

That said, for us - we didn't initially really order this car to look at the few $ (Norwegian kroners that is here) we could save in gas - we just looked at the complete pack with the 3L engine, possibilities to charge - soon possible gas car bans in the cities here (so we theoretically could use geocaching and drive in electric city zones etc.) - and then finally the total (again here, HUGE) savings in the buying price.

Very happy,

All best,
BXdriver
In the past: 20 Volvo XC60
In the past: 14 BMW X5 25d
Appreciate 3
viperdoc364.00
volodp196.50
cellarrat517.00
      03-30-2021, 03:25 PM   #20
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
Premium is around $3, slightly less at most pumps (2.87-2.95)

I've never owned a hybrid so a bit nervous, though the reviews are stellar and I think I would see a big savings in gas. Also seems like I would have the same driving experience. I am not an aggressive driver, but like the car to feel good while driving. I like the drivability of the 40i and am nervous about ordering a car I haven't driven. But it is impossible to find one to drive in the panhandle
Oh, you're gonna love the 45e then. One of the clinching things I noticed during my back to back test drive was the electric kick in the 45e. No, it's not the crazy shove of a full BEV (especially a Tesla), but it's noticeable. It really is quite a seemless blend and if you floor it, the electric motor provides a good kick and since it still has a 6cyl, the ICE motor has that lovely inline 6 growl.

Then, when you just wanna cruise along, the silent cruising of electric mode, especially with air suspension, makes it a serene drive.

It does feel like the best of both worlds. The only real downside is that the 40i does feel more tossable. But it's all relative. THe X5 in any trim is a big gal so she's definitely more fullback than ballerina.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #21
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Well, FL is fairly flat, but in most places, it isn't, so you'll get some regeneration as you go down a slope...it doesn't need to be steep. Then, any time you slow down to stop, you'll be putting energy into the batteries so, in reality, there's almost always some battery power available to give you a momentary boost. If you were to be going down from a taller mountain pass (not something most people do that often!), you might actually be able to recharge the batteries fully.

IOW, it is a rare situation where you won't be able to get a short boost from the EV motor while the engine is running. Considering the engine is good for nearly 300-Hp, and it only takes about 50-60 to maintain cruise at most any legal speeds in the USA, that's one reason why the EV motor can get the vehicle up to something like 83 mph alone, without the engine turning on at all.

If you were using your vehicle daily on long distance travel, or, you couldn't recharge the batteries at home or at work (or at an intermediate stop, but you'd have to be there awhile to make much of any difference), the PHEV may not be best. But, consider the buying price IF you can take advantage of the US Federal tax credit of $7500 (see your tax accountant), and if your locale offers either credits or rebates, the selling price to you after all of that may make the 45e considerably less expensive than the 40i.

I may be the exception, but I did not buy any optional wheels or tires...so, have a bit more flexibility on replacements, which also are less expensive. The taller sidewall helps with the ride, and I don't worry about not having a spare. The standard two-axle air suspension on the 45e helps a lot, too.

I could care less what other people think about how the vehicle looks, and I can't see the tires/wheels while driving, so out of sight, out of mind - the inside is more important as you're touching and using it all of the time. The larger tires on the larger wheels tend to also wear out faster...compare the wear ratings...the handling only really matters if you were going to track the vehicle, and that's not something you'd be likely to do on the PHEV. Save your money and use it for some other thing you will actually benefit from, IMHO.
Appreciate 1
viperdoc364.00
      03-31-2021, 01:13 AM   #22
BAO_72
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Mine is in order so dont have any experience apart from short test driving, but I come from a Q7 etron. Wont go into details rehards pros and cons other than whats relevant for the PHEV. The X5 is newer and from what I understand it has approx. 50% longer EV range (Norway), option of re-generating with ICE to preset level and also preheating of the battery whilest charging.
During my time with the Audi Ive never run out of electric "boost" for normal "spirited" driving or towing. The ICE / EM interaction is seamless and really excellent. The Audi is a diesel, but avg. Consumption after 4 years and 55000 km is just below 6L/100km while ICE consumption with empty battery is about 8L/100km so a saving of exactly 25%.

As the X5 has ICE regen, preheating (Audi doesnt) and larger range I am really convinced this is a good package. Even though it has a slow charging rate it doesnt really matter as the cost for high speed charging here is the same as gas or more... . The GLE 350de with 31KWh battery will be more economic but a 2.0L diesel 4 at the same price... Meh...
Appreciate 1
viperdoc364.00