BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #67
Bimmelim
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
The question that i have is why do you guys buy 45e in the first place?

-Not enough money (like buying M50i instead of M despite some voices worrying about firmness of M50i) ?
BTW, it's me...i'm going with M50i.
-Gas price (you already spent $80k), so what's the yearly diff between big-ass engine consumption and that one?
-If money is not the issue, because of its "hybridness" and eco-friendliness?

Something else?
Quote:

-Not enough money (like buying M50i instead of M despite some voices worrying about firmness of M50i) ?
BTW, it's me...i'm going with M50i.
-Gas price (you already spent $80k), so what's the yearly diff between big-ass engine consumption and that one?
-If money is not the issue, because of its "hybridness" and eco-friendliness?

Something else?
In Norway price is a big one..

140.000usd - My X5 45e
150.000usd. 40i with same spec
210.000usd. M50i
275.000usd X5M

And with gas prices of 6-7usd/gallon we prefer less fuel and more electric range ( i manage 50 miles electric with europe spec)
Appreciate 1
1230vani647.00
      04-02-2021, 01:24 AM   #68
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
When I can afford this, I won't be so worried about gas money LOL
Shoot, even then. Technically, I have enough liquid funds to easily pay cash for one. No way in hell is it financially prudent (even with stocks doing bad right now). In the end, save a little here, save a little there... it all adds up.

I think when I have enough passive income to afford one every year, then I'll consider it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #69
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

One thing i’m with you - Tesla is a bucket of nuts and bolts with no glue. Everybody knows that.
Appreciate 1
BMWMico172.00
      04-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #70
HybridLA
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

About to receive my xDrive45e in late April. I’m in West Los Angeles and been driving a 2018 xDrive40e for almost 3 years. I’ve kept good records and been averaging 43 MPG (mostly city driving 15-20 miles with 4-5 trips to Palm Springs and San Francisco). Charging the car has been a religion with level II charger at home and work and on business trip destinations.

Can’t wait for the xDrive45e to get 100% to 150% more electric battery range. Aiming to average 65 MPG!

Last edited by HybridLA; 04-02-2021 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #71
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I'm averaging about 67mpg on mine so far. My use case is that I'm mostly running around locally at 40-55mph speed limits, and sometimes, as low as 25mph. Most of my trips would be a long ways from fully warming up the ICE (your gauge may show it's warm, but it can take 15-20 miles to actually burn out all of the moisture and crud), so that should save deposits in the oil and exhaust system, too. It all depends, but for many people, the PHEV can be quite a savings and in most situations, has more oomph than the 40i...not as much as the M, but way more efficient. It depends on what you want...nobody 'needs' an M, but life shouldn't be limited when you can satisfy your desires without compromising other things. Personally, I do feel better not burning all that fuel, and you're lucky if your energy efficiency gets over 50% in an ICE. Stationary power plants generally are much more efficient, and there's not that much lost in transmissions, and if you have access to green energy, it's even better.

We won't be around in 100-years, but the coastline will likely look way different if the CO2 discharges keep going in the same direction that they are now. 65,000 sqKms in the Barents sea were ice free earlier this winter, and it dumped record quantities of snow in parts of Europe...the UK in places, saw 25' snow drifts! Russia has played with the northern passage with ice breakers where required for most of the year now where that hasn't been possible in recorded history before - the extent of the ice was either to great, or too thick.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #72
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
No carpool lane restrictions in California until 2025 (can drive in carpool lanes solo).

Subsidies for purchase of both vehicle and charging infrastructure.
EV torque in conjunction with ICE is close to V8
Smooth/silent operation when desired. Driving around in EV mode is very relaxing.

$4.50/gal in San Francisco adds up. 45e gets over 3x the milage when driving in the city - particularly with all of the hills, stop/go, etc.
Really don't want to get into politics about CA...:-)
Musk barely escaped it in his Tesla !
Tesla is the most valuable car company. If not for CA and Fed policies he'd be bankrupt. He moved to Austin, which is basically CA with fewer taxes. Austin, TX is not what you think…politics aside.

Things we enjoy like the internet and GPS were also a result of govt policies. FWIW, being able to write off your lease on a luxury SUV that you use for personal use as a business expense is also a type of subsidy for fossil powered vehicles (in case you are worried about EV rebates etc).

FWIW, we have a Tesla MY and X5. Both have their pros and cons. For city driving and commute no comparison the MY is better suited for our family needs.

I have found that the only people who don't care about expenses are those who are very wealthy or deep in debt living pay check to pay check. I was surprised to see the number of people go to food banks last year in new luxury cars in the US. To each his own I suppose.

To me the 45e is the best value in lux mid-size SUV. It's a super package.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #73
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
Just floating this question out there to any 45E owners. As I contemplate taking advantage of high used car rates right now and putting in a new build for an X5, I am intrigued by the hybrid. For the most part my commute is about 25 miles each way, mostly highway. I am wondering if anyone has regrets choosing a hybrid versus the regular gas 40i. I have never owned a hybrid before so I'm a little bit cautious.
Absolutely NO regrets. Here's example data for your consideration. Trip yesterday, mostly highway, Hybrid Adaptive. Since I last filled up, reflecting my daily local trips (I'm retired so short trips, some highway, usually just Hybrid). All miles since I got the car mid-January. Totally happy with the car. Only wish - 7.7kWh charging for when I'm not home for overnight charging. Sorry photos are out of order, but each is labeled.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #74
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Tesla is the most valuable car company. If not for CA and Fed policies he'd be bankrupt. He moved to Austin, which is basically CA with fewer taxes. Austin, TX is not what you think…politics aside.

Things we enjoy like the internet and GPS were also a result of govt policies. FWIW, being able to write off your lease on a luxury SUV that you use for personal use as a business expense is also a type of subsidy for fossil powered vehicles (in case you are worried about EV rebates etc).

FWIW, we have a Tesla MY and X5. Both have their pros and cons. For city driving and commute no comparison the MY is better suited for our family needs.

I have found that the only people who don't care about expenses are those who are very wealthy or deep in debt living pay check to pay check. I was surprised to see the number of people go to food banks last year in new luxury cars in the US. To each his own I suppose.

TX is CA with lesser taxes you say?
God bless!

I want to leave Tesla alone in this discussion.
Remember, it’s the least reliable car of all ages.
We know it. Consumer Reports knows it.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      04-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #75
MAWGinMD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 x45e

The attempted elitism here is adorable. I guess the proper response is, why would you want to just throw thousands of dollars into the trash even if you have more than you need?

Answer: you wouldn't, it's stupid. But unless you have a very one-off scenario where the 45e impedes it, that's exactly what you're doing if you buy the non-hybrid...you're choosing to pay more for less.

It's 2021, facts are back in style.

Quote:

BTW, it’s me...i’m going with M50i.
-Gas price (you already spent $80k), so what’s the yearly diff between big-ass engine consumption and that one?
-If money is not the issue, because of its “hybridness” and eco-friendliness?

Something else?
Appreciate 1
Go FasTA231.00
      04-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #76
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWGinMD View Post
The attempted elitism here is adorable. I guess the proper response is, why would you want to just throw thousands of dollars into the trash even if you have more than you need?

Answer: you wouldn't, it's stupid. But unless you have a very one-off scenario where the 45e impedes it, that's exactly what you're doing if you buy the non-hybrid...you're choosing to pay more for less.

It's 2021, facts are back in style.
None attempted.
45e is a wonderful car. I just see too many one-offs.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 09:45 PM   #77
Quaze22
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5-45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Question for for existing owners..
Curious how longs trips go where charging isn't an option at any point? Driving 100+ miles to a destination then driving around for days (beach/slopes/etc). I am thinking about the usual family weekend away or weeklong vacation.

Does driving the car in hybrid mode in a situation like this function like a non-plug-in hybrid? Where the car will maintain the battery to some extent and optimize when to use each? Or does it just deplete down to 0 and you are stuck in ICE once depleted?

I am fine with paying a few mpg on the highway/higher speeds if it means I could keep the battery for assistance in traffic/low speeds but I wouldn't want to keep fiddling with modes
I'd say mode-fiddling is both inevitable, and part of the fun! As far as I can tell so far, the Adaptive and Hybrid modes don't actually recharge the battery; that's only for the Battery Control mode, which significantly eats into your mileage. However, compared to charging at 110 v, it's dramatically faster—you probably gain 5km range for every 10 km driven, compared to over an hour's charging on Level 1 to achieve the same range. I do not have much experience with it yet, so I hope I'm wrong and Adaptive really would charge the battery—but I haven't seen it do that yet. Anyone else know better?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 10:31 PM   #78
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaze22 View Post
Quote:
Curious how longs trips go where charging isn't an option at any point? Driving 100+ miles to a destination then driving around for days (beach/slopes/etc). I am thinking about the usual family weekend away or weeklong vacation.

Does driving the car in hybrid mode in a situation like this function like a non-plug-in hybrid? Where the car will maintain the battery to some extent and optimize when to use each? Or does it just deplete down to 0 and you are stuck in ICE once depleted?

I am fine with paying a few mpg on the highway/higher speeds if it means I could keep the battery for assistance in traffic/low speeds but I wouldn't want to keep fiddling with modes
I'd say mode-fiddling is both inevitable, and part of the fun! As far as I can tell so far, the Adaptive and Hybrid modes don't actually recharge the battery; that's only for the Battery Control mode, which significantly eats into your mileage. However, compared to charging at 110 v, it's dramatically faster—you probably gain 5km range for every 10 km driven, compared to over an hour's charging on Level 1 to achieve the same range. I do not have much experience with it yet, so I hope I'm wrong and Adaptive really would charge the battery—but I haven't seen it do that yet. Anyone else know better?
My assumption was that hybrid mode would function like a non plug in, essentially battery neutral. Use some battery to boost ICE mpg when it's weakest, from starts or accelerating and regenerate somewhat during braking, coasting, or at highway speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:27 AM   #79
Quaze22
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5-45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaze22 View Post
Quote:

My assumption was that hybrid mode would function like a non plug in, essentially battery neutral. Use some battery to boost ICE mpg when it's weakest, from starts or accelerating and regenerate somewhat during braking, coasting, or at highway speed.
There is some regeneration, of course, when braking or coasting. But the battery is boosting the ICE at highway speeds, so it's a net drain. It seems to recharge significantly only with Battery Control, so far as I can tell.
Appreciate 1
viperdoc364.00
      04-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #80
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you were to turn on battery control BEFORE you reach the threshold desired, it shouldn't be a big power drain on the engine as it's then not trying to push a bunch of energy into the batteries...but, if say you wanted it at 50% when approaching a city where you need the EV mode, and it was down to 10%, that energy will be a much bigger hit on the ICE...the energy isn't free, but holding it isn't a big deal.

As I read the description between adaptive and hybrid, hybrid tries to stay in EV mode a bit more, and will turn on the ICE when you exceed the ability of the EV motor to respond to your foot on the pedal. Adaptive takes into account your intended trip (assuming you've set a destination) and the type of road and terrain you're on and likely to encounter, and then adjusts when and where to turn the ICE on in anticipation of the need, not the actual demand at that instant. SO, at least in theory, Adaptive mode should seem a bit smoother, and it will try to keep some charge in the vehicle until you've reached your destination.
Appreciate 3
viperdoc364.00
Quaze2231.50
volodp196.50
      04-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #81
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

TX is CA with lesser taxes you say?
God bless!

I want to leave Tesla alone in this discussion.
Remember, it’s the least reliable car of all ages.
We know it. Consumer Reports knows it.
It is also the most liked. When CR says reliability they consider a transmission failure and headlight not blinking properly as 1 defect each. As a car manufacturer you're making cars to please your buyers, not win a reliability score on CR.

You're just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #82
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is also the most liked. When CR says reliability they consider a transmission failure and headlight not blinking properly as 1 defect each. As a car manufacturer you're making cars to please your buyers, not win a reliability score on CR.

...as long as the roof doesn't fly off on a highway and your screen does not get frozen on you.
Other than that it's a lovely car with no buttons and a giant Space-X screen. It also autopilots itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #83
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Real world road trip range for the 45e?

Like most people, the majority of my driving is local errands, etc. However, I do love me a road trip
My man math suggests that with some smart driving someone could get close to 600 miles of range on a 40i with its large 22 gal tank.
Given the fuel tank capacity is smaller on the 45e, and it weighs more... what are owners seeing in the real world for range on a road trip. not driving 60 mph the whole way, but more like a realistic 75mph highway drive?

Lastly, when in electric-only mode around town - is the 45e super quiet inside? Like quieter than the X7 40i? Looking for S-class levels of quiet in our next car.
      04-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #84
e61it
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 545it

Very quiet in town

Just got my 45e a few days ago. Today did 20 miles of ejuice driving. Very quiet in town and also quick enough to be pleasant to drive without the gas engine kicking in. If it does, it's also very quiet.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #85
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

...as long as the roof doesn't fly off on a highway and your screen does not get frozen on you.
Other than that it's a lovely car with no buttons and a giant Space-X screen. It also autopilots itself.
Applies do the new BMWs as well that use all digital screens.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #86
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

THe extra weight in the 45e is a factor when accelerating...getting it moving is the major cost in energy. It can recover some when you slow down, but your best mileage will be when it's just cruising at a steady speed. Then, the hit for the extra weight isn't as big a deal. Cruising at a steady speed, the energy required is from drag, which, could be higher, but may not be much depending on the tires and their inflation levels.

Drag from the wind goes up exponentially with speed. A little increase can make a big difference in the drag factor.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #87
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Applies do the new BMWs as well that use all digital screens.
Any deaths?
Fires?
Flying roofs?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #88
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Any deaths?
Fires?
Flying roofs?
I'm not sure what your obsession with Tesla is. Is it perfect? No. But it's nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Since you mentioned those things and drive a Ford, an easy response is:

Pinto
Explorer (Firestone)
Crown Victoria

Hell, you drive a Ford truck. There've been recalls for faulty hoods. Hood flutter/flex ring a bell on your Fix Or Repair Daily vehicle? Not sure why you've got such a high horse with the cars you drive.
Appreciate 0