United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Adding a Sub to Bowers Wilkins

My new M50i is scheduled for production next week and I got the Bowers Wilkins. I'd like to add a 10-12" sub in the back. Has anyone added a sub to their Bowers Wilkins? I see a couple with HK have done it. If so, is there anything I need to know or any suggestions? Would like to be able to adjust and even turn off the sub from the front, too.
      05-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #2
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

I would like to know as well. The bass in the system is lacking
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
My new M50i is scheduled for production next week and I got the Bowers Wilkins. I'd like to add a 10-12" sub in the back. Has anyone added a sub to their Bowers Wilkins? I see a couple with HK have done it. If so, is there anything I need to know or any suggestions? Would like to be able to adjust and even turn off the sub from the front, too.
Check some of the other threads here for how people are handling it. I think the system is overall irrelevant. In all X5s, the battery and RAM are in the back. There is no low-level output, so you'd tap into one of the speaker runs for your source signal on and off. In terms of remote on/off to disable it as desired, you'd probably want an amp with a remote control (and ideally wireless of course).

That said, speakers need time to break in. Listen at different volume levels and different types of music before you start cutting into wires. It may suffice from the factory.
      05-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I have the B&W system in my g05. It's not earth shattering bass, but its very balanced. Definitely the best OEM sound system I've ever heard in a vehicle to date. I wish there was maybe 15% more bass for the things I listen to, but I never thought I'd need to add a sub because its definitely not anemic. Although I dont listen to hip hop, some of my friends played some in my car and the bass was overpowering to me. So depending on what you listen to, you may not need a sub
Appreciate 1
januza56.50
      05-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

You mean like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-04-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Or lit up to match my ambient lights?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

How much did that cost to put in? Do you also have the luggage compartment package that now is covered up permanently?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #8
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
You mean like this?
Yasssss exactly like this!! I saw your thread on this and you have the HK right? Did you need to tap wires like the dude above said? (Why wouldn't there be a low level output for the under seat subs in the first place)?
      05-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #9
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You mean like this?
Yasssss exactly like this!! I saw your thread on this and you have the HK right? Did you need to tap wires like the dude above said? (Why wouldn't there be a low level output for the under seat subs in the first place)?
He has the bowers and Wilkins system in his build
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #10
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You mean like this?
Looks like he said 3k in his thread.

I didn't even know there was a luggage option btw!
      05-04-2021, 11:27 PM   #11
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You mean like this?

That's a very nice looking setup for sure but spending almost as much as the B&W system on a subwoofer and amp is too rich for my blood.

The luggage compartment package is a very cool and extremely over engineered solution to have the privacy screen retract into the body of the trunk or deploy at the press of a button. It was really cool because if you had a large payload you didn't have to worry about stowing the privacy screen somewhere. It also came with these rubber strips that inflated to keep your luggage from moving around during motion. It was unfortunately no longer available past MY2020 due to supply chain shortages
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:34 PM   #12
MatthewDavid
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2012 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You mean like this?

That's a very nice looking setup for sure but spending almost as much as the B&W system on a subwoofer and amp is too rich for my blood.

The luggage compartment package is a very cool and extremely over engineered solution to have the privacy screen retract into the body of the trunk or deploy at the press of a button. It was really cool because if you had a large payload you didn't have to worry about stowing the privacy screen somewhere. It also came with these rubber strips that inflated to keep your luggage from moving around during motion. It was unfortunately no longer available past MY2020 due to supply chain shortages
Yeah, I'm not going to pay $3k either (those his looks sweet). Just want some bass for my occasional hip-hop moods, and want to be sure I can turn it off when I don't want it. Was thinking I should be able to get something between $500-$1000 these days!
      05-05-2021, 12:11 AM   #13
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid
Yeah, I'm not going to pay $3k either (those his looks sweet). Just want some bass for my occasional hip-hop moods, and want to be sure I can turn it off when I don't want it. Was thinking I should be able to get something between $500-$1000 these days!
That's a very reasonable price point for what you want and I'm sure you'll get it. In spite of it lacking some bass, it's a phenomenal system. It sounds tremendous and I'm sure you'll love it
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #14
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How much did that cost to put in? Do you also have the luggage compartment package that now is covered up permanently?
$3,000 and my luggage package works just fine. There is no change to its function.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      05-06-2021, 01:56 AM   #15
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You can have this done for much cheaper, I added lights into the box as well as had it custom painted with an automotive base and clear coat finish. The grills for the sub are a grey metallic with clear coat, if you want to get the parts yourself from Crutchfield it can be done for far less than $1,500. I admit that amp is overkill but I wanted the glowing blue ring to highlight the logo and fit my theme.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      10-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #16
Bearco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
You can have this done for much cheaper, I added lights into the box as well as had it custom painted with an automotive base and clear coat finish. The grills for the sub are a grey metallic with clear coat, if you want to get the parts yourself from Crutchfield it can be done for far less than $1,500. I admit that amp is overkill but I wanted the glowing blue ring to highlight the logo and fit my theme.
Is it easy to pull the sub out for when you need to fold the seats down? How is it secured for when you're accelerating?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #17
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearco View Post
Is it easy to pull the sub out for when you need to fold the seats down? How is it secured for when you're accelerating?
Yes it's easy to move and it doesn't move at all as it's fully carpeted so it binds / sticks to the the floor and sides which is wedged in, it easily rolls out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #18
Bearco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Yes it's easy to move and it doesn't move at all as it's fully carpeted so it binds / sticks to the the floor and sides which is wedged in, it easily rolls out of the way.
How do you control the level or turn it on/off while it’s installed? I would be interested in doing something similar if I feel like it needs it after it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #19
TFresh47
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 m50i

Quote:
Quote:

Hey, I am wanting to do the same.
I'm going to spend $957 and add a sub, sub box, amplifier and amplifier wiring kit.
They are competition subwoofers and can be turned up or down to your preference.
I will also have a quick disconnect to take it in and out when space is needed. The amplifier will be under the back floor, secured in the spare tire area.
Simple, clean and inexpensive.
The box is wrapped in black so it'll match the back too.

And these subwoofers are solid.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:22 AM   #20
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearco View Post
Quote:
How do you control the level or turn it on/off while it’s installed? I would be interested in doing something similar if I feel like it needs it after it arrives.
There's a knob that I install under the drivers seat within reach while driving. I tuned it with the computer program a couple of weeks after it was installed and set the level a few days after. Haven't messed with it since.
Appreciate 0