BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Worth it to do PPF and/or Ceramic coating on a lease?
Yes, worth it to do both 5 19.23%
Ceramic coating only 4 15.38%
Not worth it to do either for a lease 17 65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

06-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #1
iLovePho
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

PPF and/or Ceramic Coating on a lease; worth it?

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts this, especially those who leased. My X5 will be arriving soon and was thinking of getting both a front end PPF and ceramic coating, but was wondering if it's worth the cost since it's just a 3 year lease. For reference, I was given the below quotes from three reputable shops in my area:

Front end PPF (hood, bumper, fenders, mirror caps) - $1950 to $2300
Entire car ceramic coated (5 yr protection) - $900 to $1300

At a minimum I'd want to do ceramic coating I can easier maintain the vehicle's appearance and it does make it look amazing (based on the pics I've seen on this forum).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Most people will probably say that it's not worth it on a lease. I'm OCD so I get PPF on my front bumper a 2-3 protection for a coating.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

I have been leasing cars for 30 years and have never spent a nickel on any of that crap. I do keep my vehicles looking showroom new for the 3 year lease term with regular Adams or S100 Carnauba Wax which gives a deep shine that looks better than any of these whiz bang, nano, BS, ceramic, coatings.
Appreciate 4
DG-X5166.50
FCX52352.00
      07-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
madunn007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5e

I would just use the ceramic-based sealants or protection products for a leased vehicle (unless you plan to buy at lease end). I use mostly Adam's products and really like the performance of them. The Graphene Ceramic Spray is easy to use and inexpensive (relatively). It lasts about a year with proper maintenance and does a good job. Its not a full ceramic coating but does a good job keeping out most of the elements.

I also get the PPF/clear bra. Here in Colorado, we use mostly sand and mag chloride so we get lots of little stones that like to chip paint and windshields in the winter.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I'd typically say no, but if used values keep up (small gamble), it might be worth it to buy it out at the end and sell it private party
      07-10-2021, 10:51 PM   #6
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

I certainly understand your thinking. I leased a 5 series for 4 years and had part of the front end covered with Xpel. I don't regret it for a second. It drives me absolutely nuts to see paint chips all over the front of the hood. Was it financially smart...of course not. But then leasing a 5 series is not financially prudent. In Canada there is tons and tons of sand and little stones all over the roads in the winter. If you don't get ppf, there is a good chance the hood of the car will look like it was sandblasted with the passage of a couple of years. If you live in Florida, probably don't need ppf.

I would put the money towards ppf rather than ceramic coating. Also, don't think you need a complete front end treatment with ppf. You can get good coverage for considerably less than two grand.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #7
Chetak
Private
Rep
Drives: 21X5

I leased my X5 last year Aug and had the same confusion as I do have OCD.

I spent 1200 for cermic-pro coating silver pkg and learnt it is waste of money.

Pros: It improves hydrophobic and acts a sacrificing layer for tree saplings and Bird drops.

Cons: won’t protect from water marks, bug guts baking, rock chips and swirl marks

Until and unless you use your car only on sunny days don’t think much on maintenance.

My routine:
I hand wash my car bi-weekly.
Pressure washer
2 buckets with grits
Brushes for Tires, Wheels, seats and spokes
Shampoo: Adams mega foam car soap
Snow foam canon: Trinova
P&S Detailing Products Xpress Interior Cleaner 1pt
Detail Factory Ultra-Soft Detailing Brush Small, Comfortable Grip and Scratch-Free Cleaning for Exterior, Interior Panels, Emblems, Badges, Gauge Cluster, Infotainment Screen
(10-Pack) THE RAG COMPANY 16 in. x 16 in. Professional EDGELESS 365 GSM Premium 70/30 Blend Microfiber POLISHING, WAX REMOVAL and AUTO
The Rag Company (5-Pack) 16 in. x 16 in. Black Diamond Professional Microfiber Glass - Window - Mirror - Chrome Towels for Detailing

Recommendation: Don’t waste money for these fancy stuff as we cannot keep the car as factory new

Reasons: Unprecedent events can cause any issues and make us to spend again

Advice : Wash the car biweekly and don’t worry about swirl marks which can’t be avoided
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
skyliner10004
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 x5

I voted incorrectly. If its a lease, i wouldn't do anything. Maybe wash your car by hand to your desired levels of cleanliness.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
I would personally note that ppf and ceramic coatings don’t have the same purpose.

Ceramic coatings are a peace of mind alternative to waxing to make your life easier when cleaning.

PPF is to protect your car from physical damage.

So I mean, I don’t see how leasing precludes ceramic coating but I can see how ppf on a lease could be not worth it.
Appreciate 1
CGG156.50
      11-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Neither PPF nor ceramic is something that increases your car value, which is meaningless on a lease anyway, unless you plan to buy it out at the end. So, from purely financial/value POV it makes no sense at all. BUT, if it will give you enough personal satisfaction over the period of a lease and you don't mind dropping several thousand $ for said satisfaction then there is nothing wrong w/that. Whoever ends up w/your car after you turn it in will get free PPF + Ceramic, unless the dealer is smart and will charge extra for it. So... You are essentially gifting it to the dealer or the future owner.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 02:18 AM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
I would personally note that ppf and ceramic coatings don’t have the same purpose.

Ceramic coatings are a peace of mind alternative to waxing to make your life easier when cleaning.

PPF is to protect your car from physical damage.

So I mean, I don’t see how leasing precludes ceramic coating but I can see how ppf on a lease could be not worth it.
I'll stick with:

(1.) PPF and/or ceramic is purely a cosmetic mod that's valueless to resale

(2.) New car financing instrument also has no impact on resale

(3.) Regardless of new-car financing instrument, if you ever sell the car, the next owner is getting free PPF/ceramic

PPF/ceramic's biggest $$ benefit is to your detailer: both in initial install and/or the monthly subscription fee you pay them to do their job, which is now way easier ... so basically you paid $$ to make your detailer's job easier, but not any less expensive to you.

If you maintain the car yourself, then, in general, PPF/Ceramic might make your job easier but it doesn't materially change it - and, if you do maintain the car yourself, then you probably enjoy it, so PPF/ceramic was probably a waste.

All of this changes, of course, if it's just emotionally important to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 11:13 PM   #12
Nuke88
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 M50I

I was quoted $2500 for full ceramic pro on my entire X5 M50i. Located in LI NY. That a fair price?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke88 View Post
I was quoted $2500 for full ceramic pro on my entire X5 M50i. Located in LI NY. That a fair price?
Sounds a bit high... but it depends on the locality I guess. I've had several quotes for $1200 and $1700 for OptiCoat Pro and OptiCoat Pro+ respectively, also entire car. In DC area.
Appreciate 1
Nuke888.00
      11-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke88 View Post
that's pretty high. My detailer in Virginia Beach pricing is considered high, and full exterior body ceramic for longest 5-year application is under $2k
Appreciate 1
Nuke888.00