BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
siddharth99
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Angry X5 doesn't start up; fuel pump issue

Hi, I got a new X5 last year but have been facing issues with the vehicle. Within a couple of months (Sep'2020) I ran into an issue where the car shutdown and it wasn't starting up. You could her the ignition and engine starting up but it would shut back down.

The car was towed to bmw and they found an issue with ekps supply module, fuel pump and connector. The explanation I got was that the supply module went rogue and it wasn't supplying fuel to the engine. The car worked fine since but I still ran into odd issue where the engine would shut down itself (not the auto on/off when your speed reaches 0) say when I stop at a red-light but the car started up fine so I never bothered. It also felt at times that on low speeds the engine is much less responsive as if it's not getting enough fuel.

Yesterday again, the same issue happened; I took the car out of parking and within 20-30 metres it stopped and wouldn't start up. It's likely the same issue, a fellow gentleman helped plug a bluedriver scan tool and it said something about fuel pressure. Note, I was low on fuel too but still had 40 miles before running out of fuel.

The car was towed again to the service center; I am not sure what's going on and looking for advise how to go about this. At this point both me and my wife feel that the car is proving unreliable and we would not like to be stuck on a mountain with a baby on board. If something similar has happened to anybody or if anyone can give an idea how best to go forward it would be great.

Also, to add in both cases when it was towed the car did start up if left alone for more than a few hours; maybe some sensor data or something gets reset when car is locked for an elongated period of time.

2020 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Last edited by siddharth99; 08-17-2021 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

Sounds like someone needs to start keeping good documentation and either try the BBB reconciliation process (https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all...s/bbb-autoline) or reach out to a lemon lawyer if you want someone to handle it all for you.

In my experience, lemon lawyers usually take ~2k out of the final settlement from the manufacturer (I.e. you don't have to pay anything up front if they think you have a case and take you on as a client). I can recommend one in the Northeast (US) via PM if needed, but checking Yelp and Google Local reviews also can do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
siddharth99
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5MC View Post
Sounds like someone needs to start keeping good documentation and either try the BBB reconciliation process (https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all...s/bbb-autoline) or reach out to a lemon lawyer if you want someone to handle it all for you.

In my experience, lemon lawyers usually take ~2k out of the final settlement from the manufacturer (I.e. you don't have to pay anything up front if they think you have a case and take you on as a client). I can recommend one in the Northeast (US) via PM if needed, but checking Yelp and Google Local reviews also can do the trick.
Thanks, I will start keeping better documentation now onwards but was really hoping if there's some easy solution to get out of this mess. Maybe someone faces this issue and found a good trick to avoid this or on how to get the car started when this happens.. but yes we are fast approaching the point where need might need to escalate soon.
Appreciate 1
DG-X5166.50