BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
After spending my first week with the new car, I noticed there a couple things I miss from the outgoing F86 and would like to see what others think or feel about the F95/F96.

- I kinda miss the "rolling" door that was located in the center console of the F86, covering the cup holders when not in use. The material was not slick, shiney, scratch prone and was the perfect place for me to place my phones with minimal slip during spirited runs.

The F96, while the flip door with the X6MC logo is nice to look at in the closed position, I can't seem to find a place to drop my phones now. I won't put them on the slick carbon fiber surface because the phones would just slip and slide right off and I wouldn't want to get scratches on that beautiful finish anyway. For now, I'm storing the phones in the actual cup holders, but still looking for a better solution.

- Another function I realized is gone, is the option to use an external media storage device...? Between my two iPods (I know, get off my lawn) I have roughly 5k tracks of my very valuable (to me) music collection. With the F86, I was able to plug in via USB and cycle through my playlists with ease. Tried plugging in the F96 this morning and cannot find the option to play an external media device in the iDrive system. Am I missing something, or is it because streaming music via Bluetooth is the modern method of playing music, that plugging in an external device is omitted due to being "outdated" at this point?

I'm very happy with the car this far, but curious to see what others may believe should have transferred over, similar to @cmyx6go and I both miss the netting in the trunk area from the previous generation, for example.
      09-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I'm still working with what stuff I miss versus just getting used to the difference. It seems like it's taking me longer to adjust.
      09-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I'm still working with what stuff I miss versus just getting used to the difference. It seems like it's taking me longer to adjust.
I believe we'll grow into it over the next few weeks, lol.

Just like when any of us face a change in our environment, we just have to evolve to survive in the new conditions!
      09-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Quote:

Just like when any of us face a change in our environment, we just have to evolve to survive in the new conditions!
Well, well... let's be a bit more magnanimous about the switch from our F8x to the new F9x!

In my case I instantly hated the new electric lower tailgate of the F95: when loading stuff, my thigh would inadvertently push the electrical closing button, forcing all the half loaded stuff in a mess.

Then the tailgate motor graciously broke and so I'm back to my F85 manual operation, problem solved!

More troubling was the new destination entry method, the iDrive wanted to hear it spoken by me and always misinterpreted my English with a Spanish accent... I live in a small European country and within three drive hours we speak three languages, when vocally entering a destination near Zürich the car stubbornly kept pointing to somewhere in Slovakia...

Then, like the tailgate, this got fixed: the latest software update brought back the former F85 manual destination input, problem solved!

Now, look at the rest of the old-to-new car migration: my F95 is way ahead in suspension quality - firmer but not harsher - in any traffic jam the self-driving aids are amazingly confortable, the new B&W audio system is a BIG improvement, the laser headlights are almost unbelievable when night driving on a country road and the car is perceivably faster... what else can I want?
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Well, well... let's be a bit more magnanimous about the switch from our F8x to the new F9x!

In my case I instantly hated the new electric lower tailgate of the F95: when loading stuff, my thigh would inadvertently push the electrical closing button, forcing all the half loaded stuff in a mess.

Then the tailgate motor graciously broke and so I'm back to my F85 manual operation, problem solved!

More troubling was the new destination entry method, the iDrive wanted to hear it spoken by me and always misinterpreted my English with a Spanish accent... I live in a small European country and within three drive hours we speak three languages, when vocally entering a destination near Zürich the car stubbornly kept pointing to somewhere in Slovakia...

Then, like the tailgate, this got fixed: the latest software update brought back the former F85 manual destination input, problem solved!

Now, look at the rest of the old-to-new car migration: my F95 is way ahead in suspension quality - firmer but not harsher - in any traffic jam the self-driving aids are amazingly confortable, the new B&W audio system is a BIG improvement, the laser headlights are almost unbelievable when night driving on a country road and the car is perceivably faster... what else can I want?
I agree about the upgrade in how the F9x feels, performance wise.

And the laser headlights are definitely an improvement! I really appreciate the visibility these things provide, especially being new to the game and still familiar with the F8x's lighting.

Sorry to hear about the tailgate motor burning out on you. The X540i we have as the same set up and had come in handy on multiple occasions.
      09-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Has anyone found a way to connect an external media device that doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity functions?

Trying to play music from my old ipod had proven to be ineffective so far, even with cable that connects the iPod to the USB port located in the center arm rest.

Please let me know if anyone here had been able to connect an external device without Bluetooth.

TIA
      09-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Came from F30, but miss the self-centering column controls. Took just a bit to get used to turn signals but they felt more premium than the traditional stalks we have now. But worst is automatic windshield wipers. In the F30 they would default to off when you started the car. But now, since you physically raise the control one notch to turn on automatic wipers they stay on so long as they're in that position. Doesn't happen all that frequently but it's so annoying when windshield is dirty and the car decides to turn on wipers. 'Great, now I have smeared bug guts all over the windshield.'
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Has anyone found a way to connect an external media device that doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity functions?

Trying to play music from my old ipod had proven to be ineffective so far, even with cable that connects the iPod to the USB port located in the center arm rest.

Please let me know if anyone here had been able to connect an external device without Bluetooth.

TIA
You can connect a ssd drive (f.i., a Samsung T5) to the USB in the center rest.

Here some info (but search also for better posts):

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27894320
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

TIA

This was very helpful! Thank you.

Seems like a lot of effort, but it would seem I have no choice but to convert all those files from the iPod to an SSD, if I want to enjoy my music collection in the car.

Originally, I figured the iPod would just read like any other external device when plugged in via USB, but the "Device not supported" error message Im getting is proof that wireless streaming is fading out that technology faster than I anticipated...
      09-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #10
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

TIA

This was very helpful! Thank you.

Seems like a lot of effort, but it would seem I have no choice but to convert all those files from the iPod to an SSD, if I want to enjoy my music collection in the car.

Originally, I figured the iPod would just read like any other external device when plugged in via USB, but the "Device not supported" error message Im getting is proof that wireless streaming is fading out that technology faster than I anticipated...
If you have an iPhone just transfer your collection and use Car Play.
      09-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #11
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
After spending my first week with the new car, I noticed there a couple things I miss from the outgoing F86 and would like to see what others think or feel about the F95/F96.

- I kinda miss the "rolling" door that was located in the center console of the F86, covering the cup holders when not in use. The material was not slick, shiney, scratch prone and was the perfect place for me to place my phones with minimal slip during spirited runs.

The F96, while the flip door with the X6MC logo is nice to look at in the closed position, I can't seem to find a place to drop my phones now. I won't put them on the slick carbon fiber surface because the phones would just slip and slide right off and I wouldn't want to get scratches on that beautiful finish anyway. For now, I'm storing the phones in the actual cup holders, but still looking for a better solution.

- Another function I realized is gone, is the option to use an external media storage device...? Between my two iPods (I know, get off my lawn) I have roughly 5k tracks of my very valuable (to me) music collection. With the F86, I was able to plug in via USB and cycle through my playlists with ease. Tried plugging in the F96 this morning and cannot find the option to play an external media device in the iDrive system. Am I missing something, or is it because streaming music via Bluetooth is the modern method of playing music, that plugging in an external device is omitted due to being "outdated" at this point?

I'm very happy with the car this far, but curious to see what others may believe should have transferred over, similar to @cmyx6go and I both miss the netting in the trunk area from the previous generation, for example.
FYI, the phone fits perfectly if you sit it on the top of the cup holder ledge and bottom of center stack leaning against the leather on the right side or under the leather on the left since its tilted.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #12
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
BMW - If it's not broken, don't fix it..........

So it's the time of the year when it's chilly in the morning driving to work and warm on the trek home. It used to be simple, spin the knob to change the temperature, hit the button to shut off the air and another button to change the air flow - at feet for heat and straight out for AC. Not so easy anymore. How many times do I have to hit that damn up/down arrow to change the temp

When did I become my father? This probably belongs in the You know you're old when thread in OT. Rant over.

Happy Friday!
      10-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #13
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
BMW - If it's not broken, don't fix it..........

So it's the time of the year when it's chilly in the morning driving to work and warm on the trek home. It used to be simple, spin the knob to change the temperature, hit the button to shut off the air and another button to change the air flow - at feet for heat and straight out for AC. Not so easy anymore. How many times do I have to hit that damn up/down arrow to change the temp

When did I become my father? This probably belongs in the You know you're old when thread in OT. Rant over.

Happy Friday!
Lol, so true!

Muscle memory helped me with all the functions and interaction methods while driving 5 different BMWs over the past 13 years...

Now, it took me a couple days to get used to working the climate control due to the new button layout.

Also, even after a month of having the new car I still go to push the start button under the steering wheel area, before remembering that is now placed in the center console area, lol.

Having the start option under the mybmw app is very convenient, though...

pros and cons in everything, I suppose!
      10-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #14
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Lol, so true!

Also, even after a month of having the new car I still go to push the start button under the steering wheel area, before remembering that is now placed in the center console area, lol.
I'm so happy I'm not the only one. I attempt to press the button on the dash board

EVERY
SINGLE
DAY
      10-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #15
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Anyone else experiencing tech gremlins? I have the comfort access set to lock and unlock when I touch the door handles. Sometimes it locks as I am walking away.

I set the the car to shut down when I open the door. Sometimes it does but most times it shuts down only after I lock it. Please explain the purpose of this feature. How about the car actually shutting down when I press the button?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Anyone else experiencing tech gremlins? I have the comfort access set to lock and unlock when I touch the door handles. Sometimes it locks as I am walking away.

I set the the car to shut down when I open the door. Sometimes it does but most times it shuts down only after I lock it. Please explain the purpose of this feature. How about the car actually shutting down when I press the button?
I haven't experienced any issues similar to what you mentioned.

It's very possible you can make preferable adjustments in your vehicle settings.

I know we've been experiencing "culture shock" coming out of the F86 to the F96, lol. I actually spent an hour one day during the first week of ownership just cycling through options in all the settings to make my preferred adjustments after becoming familiar with the customization options available to us, now.

It's quite possible you can confirm your settings are satisfactory for you.

Also... I'm sure you're most likely aware of this, but just in case, driver settings are associated with specific key fobs, so to ensure consistency, stick to using one as your primary key fob and avoid alternating between the two fobs.
      10-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #17
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I haven't experienced any issues similar to what you mentioned.

It's very possible you can make preferable adjustments in your vehicle settings.

I know we've been experiencing "culture shock" coming out of the F86 to the F96, lol. I actually spent an hour one day during the first week of ownership just cycling through options in all the settings to make my preferred adjustments after becoming familiar with the customization options available to us, now.

It's quite possible you can confirm your settings are satisfactory for you.

Also... I'm sure you're most likely aware of this, but just in case, driver settings are associated with specific key fobs, so to ensure consistency, stick to using one as your primary key fob and avoid alternating between the two fobs.
I too spent an hour going through all the settings the first day. I have not changed the key fob. I have also gone back into settings to make sure they are set correctly and they are, hence the gremlin question.