BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #1
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

How much worse is your mpg with 21" wheels?

So I've been driving an F15 since 2015. With optional fancier wheels - 20" staggered 275/315, vs 19" symmetrical. The mileage I get is 15.7 mpg from an x35i. This is way below the advertised mileage of 20-25 mpg if I recall. I was told by numerous mechanics as well as google that this is due to larger wheels. This is also apparent when you configure a Tesla, select the optional cooler wheels, which are also larger, and you get a hit in the car's range.

So... Has anyone compared mileage between the stock 20" wheels and the optional 21" wheels on a say x45e ? (disclaimer - i have an x45e on order and can still tweak the options)

Last edited by 5pacey; 10-05-2021 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

I'm in the same boat as you...debating wheels on prebuild. I've asked this of several members and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference per several folks...but I'd love to hear more. Though intuition would tell me, you might see some fractional differences if tested in a vacuum.

I have a xDrive50i with the same 20" staggered and get closer to 17+mpg all around....as low as 15 pure city/stop/go and high as 21mpg on a all freeway road trip cruising 80. BTW, How are you at 15mpg on your 35i? You are either driving super hard all the time, haven't calculated something properly over a full tank (double check with old school fill up and reset mileage vs looking at dash computer?) or something is off? Anyway, good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
So I've been driving an F15 since 2015. With optional fancier wheels - 20" staggered 275/315, vs 19" symmetrical. The mileage I get is 15.7 mpg from an x35i. This is way below the advertised mileage of 20-25 mpg if I recall. I was told by numerous mechanics as well as google that this is due to larger wheels. This is also apparent when you configure a Tesla, select the optional cooler wheels, which are also larger, and you get a hit in the car's range.

So... Has anyone compared mileage between the stock 20" wheels and the optional 21" wheels on a say x45e ? (disclaimer - i have an x45e on order and can still tweak the options)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

I have a M50i, averaging 18.5mpg over 3k miles on the 21s. Can't imagine in this case the 21s are hurting at all, in EV mode maybe a little for you but your EV range on a 45e is so short to begin with I doubt its a big impact.

On my former Tesla 3 I ran 20s and 18s, the range difference was fairly negligible, it was there but not meaningful IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

I have 4.0 with 21". The paper says 23mpg combined, 21 city, 26 highway. I drive "friendly", sometimes S+ entering freeway/changing lanes. Comfort most of the time. Those numbers are very close. I tell you though. I'm glad I got 21". 20" and 19" look tiny for the G05. Even 21" looks small imo. Not so much about the rims but the whole thing. I lost some comfort but I got used to it.
Appreciate 1
5pacey56.00
      10-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you...debating wheels on prebuild. I've asked this of several members and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference per several folks...but I'd love to hear more. Though intuition would tell me, you might see some fractional differences if tested in a vacuum.

I have a xDrive50i with the same 20" staggered and get closer to 17+mpg all around....as low as 15 pure city/stop/go and high as 21mpg on a all freeway road trip cruising 80. BTW, How are you at 15mpg on your 35i? You are either driving super hard all the time, haven't calculated something properly over a full tank (double check with old school fill up and reset mileage vs looking at dash computer?) or something is off? Anyway, good luck...
So good question about how I know... I actually didn't calculate. Just looking at the average overall MPG on the computer. Its been stuck at 15.7 for couple years now. I don't know how accurate that thing is though... so my quited # is just what the car says.

I live the burbs so not city, but not all hwy either. But its more hwy than city. The car is regularly looked at by my mechanic buddy who specializes in euro cars and has his own shop, so he knows what he is talking about and has no reason to lie to me. And also the tesla numbers do seem to back the notion that larger wheels (or maybe wider) do take more juice to push, but give you more stability and tracktion in return, and arguably look better.

What does your computer say about the average?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
I have a M50i, averaging 18.5mpg over 3k miles on the 21s. Can't imagine in this case the 21s are hurting at all, in EV mode maybe a little for you but your EV range on a 45e is so short to begin with I doubt its a big impact.

On my former Tesla 3 I ran 20s and 18s, the range difference was fairly negligible, it was there but not meaningful IMO.
So to be honest I always suspected tha the 8 banger probably has better mileage, ironically, and cursed that I should have gotten the 5.0 instead. 15.7 is attrocious, I feel guilty driving it actually.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #7
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

5pacey If you are interested, I'd recommend a simple reset of you MPG and Average Speed on the default computer. Fill your tank and note your odometer. Drive a normal full tank, then upon refueling, check your old school calculation vs the computers.
Appreciate 1
5pacey56.00
      10-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
I have 4.0 with 21". The paper says 23mpg combined, 21 city, 26 highway. I drive "friendly", sometimes S+ entering freeway/changing lanes. Comfort most of the time. Those numbers are very close. I tell you though. I'm glad I got 21". 20" and 19" look tiny for the G05. Even 21" looks small imo. Not so much about the rims but the whole thing. I lost some comfort but I got used to it.
Hmmm... so I am not sure comfort would be an issue for me or a factor. The 20" staggered wheels on the F15 are rather sporty ... so used to that. Two things bother me about the 21" wheels -

1. Hit on the mileage - main reason I am getting the hybrid is to reduce the coal burning steam engine aspect of daily transportation.

2. There don't seem to be any All Season run-flat tires around in 21" size, and I live in Northern Virginia so we get enough shit weather in the winter that I either need All Seasons, or need a set of winter wheels, which is another $2k+ probably and a PITA to change it 2x year. I also read somehwere that the lower profile the rubber the less real protection you get from the run-flats. And x45e doesn't come w/a donut spare.

Otherwise, I like the 740M wheels. They are cool enough looking, IMO, unlike the standard wheels on the F15 at the time which were just plain ugly and cheap looking. The 741s are cool too... and I like the staggered look naturally, and am used to the ride quality. I am not sure I agree that the 740's look too small. I've been checking them out on diff G05 models and think they are ok size wise... though I would prefer if they were 315s in the back. The 741 wheels are cool, but not sure "that" much cooler, and they do have the downsides.

Another thing I just "discovered" but don't really know how real of an idea it is... - wheel spacers ... they cost $150,- and basically move your wheels by a 0.5 - 1" out. So if you install them your wheels look like they are staggered, even though they are the same size. But like I said... not sure what the consequences of wheel spacers are so don't necessarily know if its a real option.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #9
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
5pacey If you are interested, I'd recommend a simple reset of you MPG and Average Speed on the default computer. Fill your tank and note your odometer. Drive a normal full tank, then upon refueling, check your old school calculation vs the computers.
... indeed... I should probably do that.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #10
10101X5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Another thing I just "discovered" but don't really know how real of an idea it is... - wheel spacers ... they cost $150,- and basically move your wheels by a 0.5 - 1" out. So if you install them your wheels look like they are staggered, even though they are the same size. But like I said... not sure what the consequences of wheel spacers are so don't necessarily know if its a real option.
The 21” are staggered.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
5pacey56.00
      10-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #11
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The 21” are staggered.
Indeed they are. My 20" on the F15 are as well. Def, look nicer, but PITA dealing w/tires. The rears always wear out faster for some reason. And you can't rotate them, obviously.

But the wheel spacers make it possible to move the rear wheels out a little so the car is wider in the back. Sor of a cheated staggering setup on the cheap. Not sure what, if there are any negative consequences to doing that. Driveability, axels wearing out faster, warranty going bye bye on something etc...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #12
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Quote:
Quote:
The 21” are staggered.
Indeed they are. My 20" on the F15 are as well. Def, look nicer, but PITA dealing w/tires. The rears always wear out faster for some reason. And you can't rotate them, obviously.

But the wheel spacers make it possible to move the rear wheels out a little so the car is wider in the back. Sor of a cheated staggering setup on the cheap. Not sure what, if there are any negative consequences to doing that. Driveability, axels wearing out faster, warranty going bye bye on something etc...
Honestly, if you are worried about all these mpg and all… maybe it's time to go buy Prius… haha jk

21" 20" it doesn't matter. Rolling diameters are similar and only difference will be weight depends on what kind of tires….

I have both 20" and 21" and no major difference… do I really constantly looking at MPG? Not really…

F15 and g05 are completely different though … weight is different… engine is different…. And more…

If your MPG hasn't changed, that means those numbers are just huge accumulation…. It's like GPA when you are freshmen, GPA fluctuate so much then later it doesn't….

But remember those advertised mpg are using specific weight of person, amount of fuel, tire pressure and AC settings and outside temperature… so it will be off always….

But didn't you said you are getting 45e? That is already better gas mileage than non e version….
Appreciate 1
5pacey56.00
      10-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #13
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwerks View Post
Honestly, if you are worried about all these mpg and all… maybe it's time to go buy Prius… haha jk

21" 20" it doesn't matter. Rolling diameters are similar and only difference will be weight depends on what kind of tires….

I have both 20" and 21" and no major difference… do I really constantly looking at MPG? Not really…

F15 and g05 are completely different though … weight is different… engine is different…. And more…

If your MPG hasn't changed, that means those numbers are just huge accumulation…. It's like GPA when you are freshmen, GPA fluctuate so much then later it doesn't….

But remember those advertised mpg are using specific weight of person, amount of fuel, tire pressure and AC settings and outside temperature… so it will be off always….

But didn't you said you are getting 45e? That is already better gas mileage than non e version….
Yes x45e... hoping for 50mpg + avg... w/the F15 though I found out by experience that apparently larger wheels = lower MPG. Which again, is corroborated by the Tesla configurator if you ever go there to play.

That said, the whole conversation sounds like may be moot for me, because apparently due to the fact that I ordered the 2 tone interior, any changes to my build have been blocked as of 9/16 ... thats at least according to the dealer when I tried to change the color from CB to SB. According to them BMW blocks changes to builds with Individual options, and the 2 tone leather is apparently one such option - which nobody told me about. In fact BMW genius'es to this day swear that I can make changes until the production starts, and even then some after. Certainly paint color until the car gets to the paint shop.

Have a separate thread going on this in the Ordering forum... not sure thats a real state of things or the dealer is making shit up for some reason, although I am not sure why they would. They don't really have a reason to my knowledge to not want to do this.

In any case... I think the MPG I might "get over", the biggest problem I think I see is non-availability of RunFlat All Season tires for the 21" wheels. They are all summers... which means I'd have to now get a winter wheel/tire combo and start dealing with that PITA. I would be a LOT closer to getting them if AS Run Flats were available.

Last edited by 5pacey; 10-06-2021 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 03:25 PM   #14
10101X5
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I had staggered on a different vehicle and they wear much faster than this G05. Stock staggered too. I’m getting near 10k but the tires don’t seem to wear as I anticipated. You rotate left right. I would rather not use spacers on a vehicle this heavy. A spacer will reduce the number of threads on the bolts. Maybe I’m over conservative. FYI if you run on gas 45e is worse than 40.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #15
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwerks View Post

Yes x45e... hoping for 50mpg + avg... w/the F15 though I found out by experience that apparently larger wheels = lower MPG. Which again, is corroborated by the Tesla configurator if you ever go there to play.

That said, the whole conversation sounds like may be moot for me, because apparently due to the fact that I ordered the 2 tone interior, any changes to my build have been blocked as of 9/16 ... thats at least according to the dealer when I tried to change the color from CB to SB. According to them BMW blocks changes to builds with Individual options, and the 2 tone leather is apparently one such option - which nobody told me about. In fact BMW genius'es to this day swear that I can make changes until the production starts, and even then some after. Certainly paint color until the car gets to the paint shop.

Have a separate thread going on this in the Ordering forum... not sure thats a real state of things or the dealer is making shit up for some reason, although I am not sure why they would. They don't really have a reason to my knowledge to not want to do this.

In any case... I think the MPG I might "get over", the biggest problem I think I see is non-availability of RunFlat All Season tires for the 21" wheels. They are all summers... which means I'd have to now get a winter wheel/tire combo and start dealing with that PITA. I would be a LOT closer to getting them if AS Run Flats were available.
Well

It is probably because they are already in process of building… I heard sometimes status does not get changed quickly..

Did you say you live in NOVA? If so you shouldn't worried about having RFT…. You have BMW assist and if any issue, just call them….

But if you want more tire option, 20" is what you need…

I took my 20" off and got 21" on. Do I regret any? Nope…
Appreciate 1
5pacey56.00
      10-19-2021, 01:50 AM   #16
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A wider tire will have more drag, and the weight will slightly affect things, but the difference isn't much. The larger wheel/tire combination usually comes with shorter life, and higher initial costs. Mine is parked in the garage so I can't see it when walking up to it, and I can't see the tires when driving either, so I could really care less what others think when they look at it! Now, could I afford larger wheels and tires, yes, but I see no really good reason to change. To each his own...

In many situations, the 45e will be more efficient than the 40i, even if you can't recharge it...slowing down or going down an incline will add some energy to the battery, so you'll almost always get a little boost from the EV motor, just not be able to run entirely on it. Because of the extra torque, the I6 on the 45e turns slower from the different gear ratios, and that helps it keep the efficiency up...while the engines are the same displacement, they have different turning and different gear ratios, while the 45e weighs more, the power-weight ratio is nearly identical, plus, the torque is instant from start while the turbo needs to spool up first (admittedly, it's fast, but not as fast as the EV motor).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #17
AdamJ80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2021 M440

Quote:

I had a 2019 50i with the 20", I upgraded to a 2021 M50i with 22". Even with the 70hp increase, the gas mileage difference hasn't been noticeable. I still get about 13-14 mpg.
Appreciate 1
5pacey56.00
      10-20-2021, 10:41 PM   #18
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ80 View Post
I had a 2019 50i with the 20", I upgraded to a 2021 M50i with 22". Even with the 70hp increase, the gas mileage difference hasn't been noticeable. I still get about 13-14 mpg.
Well at least you get the enjoyment of M50... mine is x35. Def not the same as the 8 banger. And still get shit mpg.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #19
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

I can't say I have ever truly checked my millage. Mine stays in sport plus mode 85% of the time. I'm not real sure I want to know how bad it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:49 PM   #20
AdamJ80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2021 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
I can't say I have ever truly checked my millage. Mine stays in sport plus mode 85% of the time. I'm not real sure I want to know how bad it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
I agree there. At the end of the day, I want to enjoy the vehicle. I hate the orange gauge cluster, so I keep mine in Sport or a Sport Individual setting that falls in between Sport and Sport+. The throttle response and transmission settings in Sport + are amazing on an open road but are slightly aggressive in the Costco parking lot. 😂
Appreciate 1
Burnt C6257.50
      10-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #21
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ80 View Post
I agree there. At the end of the day, I want to enjoy the vehicle. I hate the orange gauge cluster, so I keep mine in Sport or a Sport Individual setting that falls in between Sport and Sport+. The throttle response and transmission settings in Sport + are amazing on an open road but are slightly aggressive in the Costco parking lot. 😂
yea but it's fun to drive thru it in M1 at 4500 RPM with people thinking you are hauling ass yet see you crawling. I had someone gripe at me one day for doing it. they said I was going to fast. yet they were walking and leaving a gap on me.
Appreciate 0