10-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #45
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
^ Never mind, I see you missed the key points of the posts. I wish you the best in the future. Good luck.
Thank you, but I don't think I have, at least the ones I could find in your response. You however seem to be ignoring my points. That said, I appreciate your attempt at communicating
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
Thank you, but I don't think I have, at least the ones I could find in your response. You however seem to be ignoring my points. That said, I appreciate your attempt at communicating
I was ignoring your points since they are meaningless at this time. Personally I don't believe you were told that you can make any changes you wanted to after you changed the leather (at time of the change not afterwards when you wanted to make the second change, not sure what timeframe you are referring to) but it makes no difference whether you were or not. At some point in the build process everything would have been locked, that could have happened a few days after your order or a few weeks. No matter what you say to BMW they are not going to change their policy for you.

So the points were:

1. In the future try and not make rash/rushed decisions. Do your due diligence so when the decision is made it will result in the best possible outcome. Obviously in this situation you did nothing close to that. You made a fairly major change one day after you placed the order and then three weeks later wanted to make another change. There is no excuse for that, it is just poor planning/thought process/indecision etc. If it sounds like I'm picking on you I guess I am. You are coming off as a bit childish blaming others for a situation you ultimately caused.

2. Just cancel the order and move on. Why give yourself the grief of trying to change a policy that is not going to get changed? You and your wife will never truly enjoy the vehicle, the color will always be a sore point with you. Given this market it is likely the dealer will sell yours and give you another allocation. Even if you lose the $2k, that is a small price to pay for alleviating the unhappiness/dissatisfaction you will have as long as you have that X5.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 10-09-2021 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: timing clarification
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #47
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was ignoring your points since they are meaningless at this time. Personally I don't believe you were told that you can make any changes you wanted to after you changed the leather but it makes no difference whether you were or not. At some point in the build process everything would have been locked, that could have happened a few days after your order or a few weeks. No matter what you say to BMW they are not going to change their policy for you.

So the points were:

1. In the future try and not make rash/rushed decisions. Do your due diligence so when the decision is made it will result in the best possible outcome. Obviously in this situation you did nothing close to that. You made a fairly major change one day after you placed the order and then three weeks later wanted to make another change. There is no excuse for that, it is just poor planning/thought process/indecision etc. If it sounds like I'm picking on you I guess I am. You are coming off as a bit childish blaming others for a situation you ultimately caused.

2. Just cancel the order and move on. Why give yourself the grief of trying to change a policy that is not going to get changed? You and your wife will never truly enjoy the vehicle, the color will always be a sore point with you. Given this market it is likely the dealer will sell yours and give you another allocation. Even if you lose the $2k, that is a small price to pay for alleviating the unhappiness/dissatisfaction you will have as long as you have that X5.
Ok, so I stopped reading after 2nd sentence. That pretty much invalidates everything else you have to say and turns your verbiage into BS, and waste of my time to read it or care.

If you don't believe what I say, why would you choose to respond? I know what happened and asked for reports of possible precedent, opinions and ideas how to deal with the situation. You on the other hand decided to respond to fictional version of events apparently concocted by your mind rejecting the only source of fact in this situation, which is my report of the situation I found myself in.

You are essentially calling me a liar, and then proceed to point out life's lessons based on what you believe really happened - which is the figment of your imagination. Take my advice and don't do that in the future. It doesn't make you look credible, lucid or reasonable. If you don't believe someone, that's your right, but it doesn't make them a liar. You do have the option to not respond.

Speaking of... I think we are done here.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #48
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Well, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Hopefully one day you sit back and look at your behavior, things will likely improve for you on various fronts.
      10-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #49
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Hopefully one day you sit back and look at your behavior, things will likely improve for you on various fronts.
Likewise 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #50
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

So the reason this is BMW's fault imo, is ... The answers I had from both the sa and the geniuses were that I have plenty of time ... and it's really hard to just conjure this kind of information on my own
Just FYI, it's actually not hard "to conjure up this kind of information", since, after a single post here, within 12 hours you had answers from multiple people with accurate information.

LESSON: neither BMWNA nor dealers have perfect information (be it out of ignorance, laziness, or both), thus whenever possible one should always validate what you're hearing before planning on it. In law this concept is known as "Caveat Emptor", i.e., "let the buyer beware"

Given you've made your thoughts on this lesson clear, and because it's after the fact for you, this post is more for others open to the notion and who may run across this thread prior to ordering. Quoting you was purely to summarize your opinion of the issue.

In short, if I was new to BMW ordering & reading this thread I'd appreciate a summary post of the issue, the opinions, and the solve.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #51
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X6 40i, ‘14 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
May or may not help: pics of an X5 M in Carbon Black
Super nice!
      10-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #52
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Just FYI, it's actually not hard "to conjure up this kind of information", since, after a single post here, within 12 hours you had answers from multiple people with accurate information.

LESSON: neither BMWNA nor dealers have perfect information, thus whenever possible one should always validate what you're hearing before planning on it. In law this concept is known as "Caveat Emptor", i.e., "let the buyer beware"

Given you've made your thoughts on this lesson clear, and because it's after the fact for you, this post is more for others open to the notion and who may run across this thread prior to ordering.

In short, if I was new to BMW ordering & reading this thread I'd appreciate a summary post of the issue and the solve.
That much I agree with. Definitely be careful assuming you can change things even if both the dealer and bmw geniuses claim you can. Maybe you can maybe you can't. Based on my experience with this specific order it's safer to assume that you can't.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:18 PM   #53
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Had a few carbon blacks before...and yes, dark dark sparkly BLUE in the sun. Loved the color...typical dark car issues having to keep clean...but lovely color.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #54
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Had a few carbon blacks before...and yes, dark dark sparkly BLUE in the sun. Loved the color...typical dark car issues having to keep clean...but lovely color.
I honestly find myself liking it I think now again after the pics posted in this thread and some sleuthing on the forum and Google. So my issue is more of a marital nature at this point. So thinking about the avenues in front of me.
Appreciate 1
MIKE_M2C144.00
      10-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #55
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

I see a lot of time wasting back and forth here. I totally get the anxieties of ordering a car and second guessing your decisions. Hopefully by now, you have driven down to your local dealer to look at the Carbon Black in person and decided it's awesome and you are good to go, OR you need to cancel your order and find an new Allocation ASAP. It's as easy as that mate. Good luck!
FYI: I Currently own a black sapphire X5, I'm going Blue on my order

Quote:
I honestly find myself liking it I think now again after the pics posted in this thread and some sleuthing on the forum and Google. So my issue is more of a marital nature at this point. So thinking about the avenues in front of me.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
kyrocks1070.50
      10-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #56
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

The black Sapphire vs Carbon Black saga continues. Good problems to have in life. Black sapphire = black, carbon black = dark blue in the sun. Both great colors, just personal preference. One thing to note, carbon black is only available on msport package while black sapphire is available on all trims. I chose black sapphire as I wanted a true black color, in sunlight and shade.
      10-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #57
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
So then, you're going to keep the car and get rid of her? That may turn out to be an expensive BMW! Nothing many of us here haven't done before though
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #58
Luminor513
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Quote:
So then, you're going to keep the car and get rid of her? That may turn out to be an expensive BMW! Nothing many of us here haven't done before though
Lol The BMW will never talk back or be unappreciative.
bandersen545.50
      10-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #59
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
I've found the secret to a long marriage is realizing that you'll be appreciated if & when you ever do something worth appreciating.
Appreciate 2
bandersen545.50
Gstahl18.00
      10-10-2021, 07:45 PM   #60
Luminor513
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
I've found the secret to a long marriage is realizing that you'll be appreciated if & when you ever do something worth appreciating.
Thank you Sir for the kind words of wisdom.
      10-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #61
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Just an FYI, when submitting an order in the system if you choose something individual (like trim or ivory white / night blue leather) there is a block date. So you'll have time to modify up until that day. Otherwise the order is locked and there are no more changes possible. So make sure you ask about that and make sure your dealer understands that lock date.
Attached Images

Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:44 PM   #62
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Just an FYI, when submitting an order in the system if you choose something individual (like trim or ivory white / night blue leather) there is a block date. So you'll have time to modify up until that day. Otherwise the order is locked and there are no more changes possible. So make sure you ask about that and make sure your dealer understands that lock date.
I'd say sort of ... there are really 2 things to worry about:

(1.) The "special request" field
If you have "Individual" in there, then you can't change the exterior paint color even if you're prior to the block date. I did this live with my dealer and we *could* change the wheels & interior trim, but *couldn't* change the exterior color, even though we were prior to the lock date (Sept 7th in this case was when we made the changes). There may be other things that lock, but for sure the exterior does.

(2.) The block date
Like you said, no changes whatsoever after this date
Appreciate 2
taek291.00
5pacey55.00
      10-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #63
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, so I started this bruhaha, might as well at least come clean at the end...

Was dropping the Mrs. off at the airport today... and lo and behold, here's a G05 M50 in Carbon Black with 740M wheels parked right next to an empty spot... It was dirty'ish and paintwork pitted and scratched... a bit rough for however long this car's been around but hey, its life.

The important bit was that the color was APPROVED. And so were the wheels. It looks damn good! I am glad they blocked me. Soo... I am in "Production Begins" status for the past 3 days or so... with an actual VIN number

I can blissfully resume my intense focus on getting a normal sounds system installed, rubber floor mats, silicon oxide vs silicon carbide marketing literature and whether to spend 1.5k on a wax job. Also should I or shouldn't I drop 2.5 k on saran wrapping parts of the car. Oh and of course lets not forget about the 25% room for tinting the front side windows here in VA lol
Appreciate 2
omasou2079.50
TurtleBoy12880.50