10-12-2021, 04:01 PM   #23
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Correct; I mentioned the release for NAR here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=41

Essentially all this means is that it will operate as closer to how it has been advertised originally with not much else worth talking about.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #24
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The press release says the s/w update will become available in GERMANY on the release date, with other countries to follow. From previous history, it's likely to be months before it shows up in the USA, and then, it doesn't happen immediately to all at once.

As was mentioned, once it IS available, the fastest way to get the update is to download it to your phone (WiFi is probably the faster way, or cellular if you don't mind the volume of the data), and then have the phone transfer it to the X5...while the X5 will eventually get the update OTA, it will take MUCH longer (many days, potentially) to get it in the vehicle versus getting it onto the phone first. Once it's in the phone, it will transfer when you tell it to while in the vehicle in less than 10-minutes or so if I remember correctly, then once you start the updating process, that may take another 20-minutes. Once it reaches a certain point, you an exit the vehicle, so you don't have to babysit it the entire time.

OTA updates seem to be about one cycle (3-months or so) behind what's available at the dealers. OTA does not get all of the updates that the dealer gets.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #25
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
my vehicle is currently in service to formally diagnose the tailgate issue. what are the chances they'll do the 07/2021 update while it's there?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #26
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
OTA updates seem to be about one cycle (3-months or so) behind what's available at the dealers. OTA does not get all of the updates that the dealer gets.
The dealer will not install an update unless told to by field rep. Field rep will not sign off unless you have an actual issue or glitch. I have this issue currently because my vehicles are stored in a temperature controlled garage and there isn't any service or signal. I miss a great deal of updates and BMW tells me speak to dealer; dealer tells me it is an OTA update that will be sent to me. BMW then states that if one misses the OTA update the dealer has to update the vehicle but then the dealership states they're not able to unless BMW tells them to. BMW will not tell them to update unless there is an issue, conflict or glitch in operation. They will not update just for the sake of being current; which I feel is ridiculous because that is the very basis for OTA... to be current. In the end it is a lot of finger pointing not finger clicking allow me to update. Just another reason why the BMW of yesteryear were better. Less is more.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #27
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The dealer will not install an update unless told to by field rep. Field rep will not sign off unless you have an actual issue or glitch. I have this issue currently because my vehicles are stored in a temperature controlled garage and there isn't any service or signal. I miss a great deal of updates and BMW tells me speak to dealer; dealer tells me it is an OTA update that will be sent to me. BMW then states that if one misses the OTA update the dealer has to update the vehicle but then the dealership states they're not able to unless BMW tells them to. BMW will not tell them to update unless there is an issue, conflict or glitch in operation. They will not update just for the sake of being current; which I feel is ridiculous because that is the very basis for OTA... to be current. In the end it is a lot of finger pointing not finger clicking allow me to update. Just another reason why the BMW of yesteryear were better. Less is more.
When using the APP, if it says an update is available, you do NOT need to have cellular coverage IN the car to update it...get it into your phone, then transfer it to the vehicle as prompted. I'm pretty sure that at least some part of the day you'll either have WiFi or cellular servive to your phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #28
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post
Didn't realize the ATT v. Verizon thing, but you may be able to get it downloaded via your MyBMW app and transfer it from your phone instead? I don't see it yet for my F95 but I'm sure it'll come in due course…
Since you have an F95, if you think of it, let me know that you received the update. I won't hold my breath that I'll get it, but if I do before you, I'll reply that I received it.
Appreciate 1
DG-X5166.50
      10-12-2021, 09:04 PM   #29
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

My X5 should see this by 2024. The software update system remains flaky.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:33 PM   #30
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

@iconoclast The solution to your dilemma seems to by driving your BMW more frequently
iconoclast7262.50
      10-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #31
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Too many cars; too little time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
When using the APP, if it says an update is available, you do NOT need to have cellular coverage IN the car to update it...get it into your phone, then transfer it to the vehicle as prompted. I'm pretty sure that at least some part of the day you'll either have WiFi or cellular service to your phone.
The has has never once stated there is an update for any of my vehicles that are logged in to the app and on my phone. While I understand this is how it works and read that on here many times BMW "Genius" and the dealership state the vehicle needs signal which is why I did not get the surface update either but many others on here have. The settings on the app are set for download automatically and the "wifi only" is disable. We tried forcing updates through the iDrive and nothing. Dealer visit required. Visit the dealer and they state "operating as designed no update available contact BMW Assist" then you contact BMW Assist and they said go to dealer. It is very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #32
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
my vehicle is currently in service to formally diagnose the tailgate issue. what are the chances they'll do the 07/2021 update while it's there?
I got 07/2021.50 as I complained about the HK lack-of-bass problem (they insisted on upgrading the software instead of ordering a new amp for me).

Haven't noticed anything exciting about the new version yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #33
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i'll specifically be testing out the 'improved' steering intervention which i disabled very early on as there were too many false interventions.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #34
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i Pure 2002 JCW Cooper

I have been running 07-21.40 for a while now. Works well. Dealer installed it a few months back. I haven't driven it much so can not comment on steering but I have a happy wife.. Which = happy life.

Apple carplay still needs to press play on Spotify.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #35
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 G06 X40i

Last upgrade ended up closing out all of my coding. This update was summer of 2021. Does anyone know if this will happen with this software update as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #36
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeva381 View Post
Last upgrade ended up closing out all of my coding. This update was summer of 2021. Does anyone know if this will happen with this software update as well?
Probably
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #37
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
very likely some or all previous coding will be erased. hard to know exactly depending on which modules are involved in the update.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #38
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
very likely some or all previous coding will be erased. hard to know exactly depending on which modules are involved in the update.
For this reason I have a complete log of all the changes I've coded. I based it on your list and added my changes
nZtiZia4629.50
      10-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #39
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Quote:
For this reason I have a complete log of all the changes I've coded. I based it on your list and added my changes
yup, I saved mine on a document, too
Appreciate 1
JimVR4337.50
      10-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #40
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post

Conversely, I kept active steering intervention on for blind spot collision warning and I have had no issues with that.
I did the same and it saved my butt this morning on my way to work when some moron in my blind spot decided to come into my lane. I had noticed earlier that the same vehicle was swerving quite a bit. Drunk or texting is my guess, most likely the latter as he/she was driving a work van and it was at 6AM...
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 03:53 PM   #41
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post

Conversely, I kept active steering intervention on for blind spot collision warning and I have had no issues with that.
I did the same and it saved my butt this morning on my way to work when some moron in my blind spot decided to come into my lane. I had noticed earlier that the same vehicle was swerving quite a bit. Drunk or texting is my guess, most likely the latter as he/she was driving a work van and it was at 6AM...
Exactly, those are IMO the situations that make you thank the moment you activated those safety features - it may make the difference between an accident and simply some cursing at the offender
Appreciate 1
john1200c238.50
      10-13-2021, 04:29 PM   #42
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Of the two OTA updates I've received for my X5, both of them were flagged in the app. I do periodically tell iDrive to check for new software, and if the vehicle says there's an update, the app does too and vice-versa. Also note that there was at least one update that never was flagged for my vehicle...it may be that the modules and options that I have would not have been enhanced, so it was never offered. IOW, not every vehicle may get every update. I asked my dealer about that, and he said my vehicle may not have 'needed' that update. Don't' know how true that is.

Note, it took a long time between when the first people said they were getting it before it showed up on mine...it's been discussed before, but nobody seems to know the rationale and timing of when any one individual vehicle might get an update. BMW has said that Germany would be the first to get the latest (this time, and probably previously, but I don't remember) and that it would be rolled out to other markets over time...again, they didn't say when or provide any sort of a schedule.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #43
aceman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550ix, 2008 Corvette

So i've been having issues with the BMW app and my car since July. I just checked and i have sw version 07 21 40.

Interestingly, the BMW app does not update and hasn't since 7/28. When I open the app, it says updating vehicle status then goes to updated from vehicle 7/28/21.

I've rebooted idrive, deleted/reinstalled the app several times.

Call the genius who gave me a ticket# and said someone would call me back - that was a month ago.

Took the car into the dealer, they couldn't figure anything out either.

Interestingly - I can lock the car/honk/climatize - no issues.
I can't get 3d cameras to work - says to check data privacy settings in the car.
When I go to the data privacy setting in idrive, it is literally empty/blank, if i select "Data Privacy" - there is no menu below it.

I think this damn sw upgrade hosed me up and BMW doesn't have a clue.

If anyone has input LMK please!

Thankfully - I can still climatize as the days get cooler up here in the NE.

Aceman
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #44
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
I've rebooted idrive, deleted/reinstalled the app
If anyone has input LMK please!
you've rebooted iDrive (~30 sec VOL hold), but have you rebooted telematics (~70+ sec VOL hold for 3 consecutive iDrive restarts)?
Appreciate 0