BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Sport seats...ugh

I know that I'm beating a dead horse here, but I've had my 2022 X5 for a week and a half now, and it has the sport seats...they feel very firm with hardly any give at all, not exactly my idea of comfort...is there any hope that they'll break in and become comfortable?

I'm kicking myself in the rear for not initially going with the multi-contour seats...I tried to add it on a couple days after ordering, but it had already gone into production. Anyway, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50D

I didn't like sports seats I had in my 5 series. This time round I got comfort seats and I have to say they are much better but for some reason I can feel side bolsters of the bottom seat bit narrow still.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #3
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adblue View Post
I didn't like sports seats I had in my 5 series. This time round I got comfort seats and I have to say they are much better but for some reason I can feel side bolsters of the bottom seat bit narrow still.
Oh I see....okay, good to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I think its a highly personal and dependent on your height/build and dimensions.

I find the seats very comfortable, but I'm only 5'10 and 76kgs.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #5
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

I had the sport seats in my 5 series. They were brutal - just brutal. Sorry to say they do not get better and if you have a problem now you will never get comfortable with them. Some people will try and suggest it is your fault - you are too large. That is nonsense. Seriously, they were the the worst seats I have ever experienced. Brutal.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I think its a highly personal and dependent on your height/build and dimensions.

I find the seats very comfortable, but I'm only 5'10 and 76kgs.
This makes sense...we all have our preferences for sure. Nice that they're comfortable for you. I'm also 5'10" ...and about 140 pounds...I'm crossing my fingers that my body adjusts to them and I'm able to find some level of comfort.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #7
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I had the sport seats in my 5 series. They were brutal - just brutal. Sorry to say they do not get better and if you have a problem now you will never get comfortable with them. Some people will try and suggest it is your fault - you are too large. That is nonsense. Seriously, they were the the worst seats I have ever experienced. Brutal.
Ugh...that really sucks...keeping my fingers crossed for now that it gets better for me...and if not, at least I know what direction to go in as to seats for my next vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #8
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Ug... hope it get better for you over time.

Seat comfort was a major factor for me, personally (got multi-contour seats). This was the primary reason I hard-passed on the Lincoln Aviator a while back (I'm a taller person, their idiotic seat design has a bolster pressing into the upper back for no reason, very uncomfortable; designed exclusively for shorter people).
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #9
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi M-Sport

You won’t. Had my X5 for 3 years now. Love the car — love it. Seats make every drive, especially longer ones an awful experience.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
From experience - sports seats and a standard suspension in a BMW =

Appreciate 3
      10-14-2021, 01:18 AM   #11
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
Ug... hope it get better for you over time.

Seat comfort was a major factor for me, personally (got multi-contour seats). This was the primary reason I hard-passed on the Lincoln Aviator a while back (I'm a taller person, their idiotic seat design has a bolster pressing into the upper back for no reason, very uncomfortable; designed exclusively for shorter people).

Thanks....sounds like you made a great decision...comfort is everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:20 AM   #12
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzena View Post
You won’t. Had my X5 for 3 years now. Love the car — love it. Seats make every drive, especially longer ones an awful experience.
That really sucks...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:23 AM   #13
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
From experience - sports seats and a standard suspension in a BMW =

[IMG]https://media5.picsearch.com/is?beYd...#38;height=201[/IMG]
Sounds about right...unfortunately. First time BMW owner here...and learning fast.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15528.50
      10-14-2021, 02:23 AM   #14
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Geez, now I"m paranoid ... though I've been living with M4s for a decade so maybe my butt is broken in ...

Anyway, just went into Quality check! Gettin pumped up ...
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 03:18 AM   #15
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
I like the comfort seats in my X6, but as you say the side bolsters on the bottom seat are a bit narrow. I need to lose some weight....

Rob
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 05:59 AM   #16
Mynoles1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 s40i M-Sport

I am on my 5th BMW, all of which have had the sports seats. Now, this may be due to my physical build, but each seat has been awesome. SO much better than the Audi "sport" seat and right up there with the Porsche 14-way seats I had a couple of years back. I actually opted NOT to get the multi-contour seat as I did not want the ventilation (too many reports that they are firmer than previous MC seats prior to ventilation.)

I do like the feel of being "held" in the seat and not getting tossed around and also don't want to feel like I am driving from my living room couch. I like feeling the support in all all key areas (I have a bad back.)

Don't give up on them, play around with the adjustments. I admit that it normally takes me a while to get it set where I want but once it is there I find it to be the best. Lumbar support height is key, as are the side bolsters.

I am 5-11, 205lbs, fwiw.
Appreciate 3
volodp196.50
sygazelle11329.50
      10-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #17
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

I have to concur w/the bad reviews here. Had sport seats on a 2011 X5d ... the worst seats I've ever had in a car. As luck would have it I sold the car 3.5 yrs into owning it. Missed the car but was so glad I don't have to sit in it and curse every day that I didn't get the comfort seats. I have never ordered another bimmer, nor would ever consider getting one w/out the Comfort seats - whatever the incarnation in a given model. BMW can't make comfortable seats other than the comfort seats period. Never had that issue w/the MB or VW for that matter... base seats are fine, even if they aren't fancy.

I am 6' 230 lbs
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #18
Adblue
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50D

Best seats I tried were in A6 Estate back in 2018, not sure if these were sports or comfort but they did feel best. Didn't find them as comfortable when I was shopping around few months ago, so not sure what changed (and I'm slim build).
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #19
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Geez, now I"m paranoid ... though I've been living with M4s for a decade so maybe my butt is broken in ...

Anyway, just went into Quality check! Gettin pumped up ...
Hopefully the seats will be just fine for you.

Nice, exciting times!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      10-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #20
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynoles1 View Post
I am on my 5th BMW, all of which have had the sports seats. Now, this may be due to my physical build, but each seat has been awesome. SO much better than the Audi "sport" seat and right up there with the Porsche 14-way seats I had a couple of years back. I actually opted NOT to get the multi-contour seat as I did not want the ventilation (too many reports that they are firmer than previous MC seats prior to ventilation.)

I do like the feel of being "held" in the seat and not getting tossed around and also don't want to feel like I am driving from my living room couch. I like feeling the support in all all key areas (I have a bad back.)

Don't give up on them, play around with the adjustments. I admit that it normally takes me a while to get it set where I want but once it is there I find it to be the best. Lumbar support height is key, as are the side bolsters.

I am 5-11, 205lbs, fwiw.
Nice that you've enjoyed them and have had such good experiences. I agree, they are supportive and hold you for sure. I can say that I haven't experienced my pinched nerve pain while driving as I have in my old car, so that's a good sign. Thanks for the advice...I'll keep playing around with the adjustments and see if I can get to a level of comfort.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #21
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
I have to concur w/the bad reviews here. Had sport seats on a 2011 X5d ... the worst seats I've ever had in a car. As luck would have it I sold the car 3.5 yrs into owning it. Missed the car but was so glad I don't have to sit in it and curse every day that I didn't get the comfort seats. I have never ordered another bimmer, nor would ever consider getting one w/out the Comfort seats - whatever the incarnation in a given model. BMW can't make comfortable seats other than the comfort seats period. Never had that issue w/the MB or VW for that matter... base seats are fine, even if they aren't fancy.

I am 6' 230 lbs
The more you know...thanks for sharing this. I now know what direction to go in as to seats in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #22
mar_carol
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Best seats I tried were in A6 Estate back in 2018, not sure if these were sports or comfort but they did feel best. Didn't find them as comfortable when I was shopping around few months ago, so not sure what changed (and I'm slim build).
Sucks...it's always unfortunate when things change, and it's not for the better. :
Appreciate 0