BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Bavsound....so underwhelmed...

Sooo bummed. Knew when I ordered in July I was only going to get base HiFi. I'm no audiophile - but I know base Hifi is substandard. So I ordered Bavsound speakers + subwoofers. Know my limits on cars (I can fill the gas tank, change a tire...and now did a beginners Bimmercode)...so I knew I wanted a professional shop to install...

At the end of the day - with a good chunk of $ (added Dynamat)...I get in the car and am totally underwhelmed. We all know we need a more powerful amp...but I expected more. Top it off - the 'check engine' light is on. Car drives fine/reports back to me as all good - I'm hoping tomorrow the light will 'be gone', or else I'll try a IDrive reset.

Oh - and with subwoofers, one must 'break them in' evidently - 15-20 hours - so hopefully, in 20 hours, I'll give a better report. Until then....I'm just bummed. Tops off a long day. I want my 1992 Infiniti G20 back
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41909.50
TheACN104.50
      10-13-2021, 09:47 PM   #2
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Sooo bummed. Knew when I ordered in July I was only going to get base HiFi. I'm no audiophile - but I know base Hifi is substandard. So I ordered Bavsound speakers + subwoofers. Know my limits on cars (I can fill the gas tank, change a tire...and now did a beginners Bimmercode)...so I knew I wanted a professional shop to install...

At the end of the day - with a good chunk of $ (added Dynamat)...I get in the car and am totally underwhelmed. We all know we need a more powerful amp...but I expected more. Top it off - the 'check engine' light is on. Car drives fine/reports back to me as all good - I'm hoping tomorrow the light will 'be gone', or else I'll try a IDrive reset.

Oh - and with subwoofers, one must 'break them in' evidently - 15-20 hours - so hopefully, in 20 hours, I'll give a better report. Until then....I'm just bummed. Tops off a long day. I want my 1992 Infiniti G20 back
Check engine light could be from when they unplugged the seat… happened on my F90. Plugging back in without battery unplugged sparks and shorts out. That was my experience.
Appreciate 1
bandersen587.00
      10-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #3
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

I don't have the speakers but I would say try to reserve judgement until you break them in. I have hi fi and I have to imagine almost anything sounds better.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2021, 11:16 PM   #4
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:

Now that's a bummer, sorry to hear: I had read countless posts about the BavSound upgrade reporting a significant improvement, particularly from base hi-fi, which is something that convinced me to go for it right before the price increase…

We'll see what the fuss is about when I manage to find someone who's willing to install them for me!

To YuicyYumboYack's point, give them some time to settle in and adjust and hopefully things are going to get better soon.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2021, 11:28 PM   #5
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I had a similar experience with a BavSound StageOne (amp only) in my 2018 540i and it was also extremely disappointing. I ended up returning it. Very bass heavy. Loss of clarity. In the smaller 540i, the HiFi wasn't terrible so trying to improve it with the BvSound amp was a mistake, but I am fortunate to have HK audio in my 2020 G05 and I am very satisfied with it. I hope BMW can bring the option back for the 2023s.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #6
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

update the amp
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:20 PM   #7
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

That's a bummer. I think the "issue" here may be the reference point. You didn't get to experience the HiFi but read a bit much about Bavsound and thus had a high expectation esp. if you come from a sedan. If you had not planned for anything higher, trust me, you did yourself a favor. And I don't even have the sub replaced. As I mentioned before, I did in steps and once the center and rears were in, I already noticed a huge improvement. It's not convenient because you had someone do the installation for you. But they give you up to 100 days to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
We'll see what the fuss is about when I manage to find someone who's willing to install them for me!
Fly me over. I'll do it for you.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #8
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:

As is true for nearly any mechanical device, speakers need to break in before they operate at peak performance, BUT it is very unlikely that this will make a day/night difference for you. It seems quite likely that the speakers are just underpowered. Lack of power will undermine SQ even at lower volume levels. I don't know how/whether you can add more power to the base system, but I suspect that is what s missing here
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

There's a phenomenon on forums where someone will install something and be super excited about it, and thus exaggerate the outcome/benefits. Other posters see that response and start repeating it in other threads. Doesn't take long before the general consensus on a product is a bit warped. I see this with the Bavsound....it's a stage 1 upgrade, meaning it will be an improvement but not earth shattering. Bavsound themselves would probably tell you that.
Appreciate 4
omasou2088.00
thereef5101165.00
      10-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #10
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
update the amp
Here you go

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #11
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
There's a phenomenon on forums where someone will install something and be super excited about it, and thus exaggerate the outcome/benefits. Other posters see that response and start repeating it in other threads. Doesn't take long before the general consensus on a product is a bit warped. I see this with the Bavsound....it's a stage 1 upgrade, meaning it will be an improvement but not earth shattering. Bavsound themselves would probably tell you that.
I've seen this behavior since joining after a long absence from BMW forums.

If you believed the hype everyone should…

- PPF as much of their car as they can afford
- replace the stereo system
- install a down pipe
- replace the exhaust
- replace the charge pipe and other one
- replace the inter cooler
- and on and on

Then when someone has a problem with one of these mods like a down pipe you find out just how many folk didn't install one
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #12
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
it's a stage 1 upgrade, meaning it will be an improvement but not earth shattering. Bavsound themselves would probably tell you that.
Well, that's not really true though - this is a direct quote from the BavSound website regarding the stage one upgrade kit:

"Yes, the Stage One really does work and make a dramatic difference in overall sound quality, clarity, and performance, regardless of the type of audio system your BMW was equipped with from the factory (even your "premium" system). […] So no matter which audio system you have in your BMW, the Stage One yields incredible results."

I MAY have found someone who's willing to install the S1 kit for me, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot myself in a couple of weeks and see how my own ears are going to like it
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 07:39 PM   #13
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Quote:
Ha! I will bear that in mind if all else fails!

I have to say that I would never have thought that finding an installer for a plug and play car audio upgrade would prove so incredibly difficult! Just anecdotally, this is a summary of what happened:

1. BavSound's authorized dealer/installer in the part of Connecticut where I live has gone AWOL: no response to email or voicemail, I checked with BavSound and they could not reach out to them either.

2. My ever so helpful local BMW dealer would refuse to install anything on my X5 that is not an OEM part.

3. I have inquired with at least a dozen reputable car audio installers or mechanics in my area and (much to my surprise) most of them said they wouldn't touch a newer German car with a stick, others said they do not do stereo installs and one said they would do it and gave me an estimate of $800-900 just for the install, which is a total ripoff that I of course declined.

4. Now I am clinging to a glimpse of hope as an installer said they would look into it and may be able to do it for a more reasonable price…

We'll see how it goes… :
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:26 PM   #14
GordoNx3o9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F83

I just upgraded my HiFi system with Match speakers from Audiotec Fischer. Definitely a big improvement even during the break in period.

One thing I'm very disappointed at is the lack of rear speakers with the HiFi system. Sitting in the back seat is embarrassing knowing my passengers don't hear any sounds behind them. What is BMW thinking not putting any speakers behind past the rear headrests.

My installer is very knowledgeable. They're in NYC if you guys want to make the trip, DM me.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 10:15 PM   #15
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
Well, that's not really true though - this is a direct quote from the BavSound website regarding the stage one upgrade kit:

"Yes, the Stage One really does work and make a dramatic difference in overall sound quality, clarity, and performance, regardless of the type of audio system your BMW was equipped with from the factory (even your "premium" system). […] So no matter which audio system you have in your BMW, the Stage One yields incredible results."

I MAY have found someone who's willing to install the S1 kit for me, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot myself in a couple of weeks and see how my own ears are going to like it
One just needs to see the speakers sise by side and decide for themselves. Someone here said I had hearing problem because I couldn’t tell how great Wifi audio over bt. But I can clearly hear the improvement even with just center and rears. You won’t be disappointed. Well worth it for 700 bucks. You can do it bro. Just watch the video. Do the center first then rear then front ones. It’s not as complicated as it sounds.

Last edited by 10101X5; 10-15-2021 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18179.00
      10-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #16
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You won't be disappointed. Well worth it for 700 bucks. You can do it bro. Just watch the video. Do the center first then rear then front ones. It's not as complicated as it sounds.
Thanks for the reassurance on the quality of the speakers and also for the vote of confidence, but I am just not good at gently pulling things apart and then putting them back together as if nothing happened - I have watched the video and chickened out!
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      10-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #17
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I installed the BavSound speakers myself in my 2022 40i with HiFi. I am pleasantly surprised with the improvement - its well worth the price. The downside is the amplifier as this system could use a bit more power, and that's been mentioned many times. I haven't taken that step yet as it's costly and has some downside as well with amplified turn signal and warning sounds. I'm still thinking about it, but if you have HiFi, don't hesitate.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #18
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

+1 for Bavsound
I just bought a 2020 X5 with HK, and did the stage 1 upgrade. I did the install myself. The video on their website shows you almost all you need to know. The plastic door retention clips break pretty easily when they are removed. Bavsound gives you some extra ones, but that wasn't enough to replace all the ones that broke. I had a pkg of 20 or so that I bought off of amazon. They came in very handy.
I am impressed with the improvement in sound quality. Fuller, richer sound, clearer bass, softer and clearer highs. For me, well worth the $.
This is the 4th car I put Bav speakers in. Had an f10 535 HK that I did stage 1+subs. That was great! A 2017 X3 with HK, that I just did subs. That was an improvement, but not over-the-top good.
I have an F06 GC with B&O, subs replaced. Definite improvement.
And now the G05 with just stage 1. I don't think I will replace the subs in the X5 due to the hassle of ungluing the factory units.

I am really pleased with how it turned out.
Appreciate 3
      10-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #19
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ha! I will bear that in mind if all else fails!

I have to say that I would never have thought that finding an installer for a plug and play car audio upgrade would prove so incredibly difficult! Just anecdotally, this is a summary of what happened:

1. BavSound's authorized dealer/installer in the part of Connecticut where I live has gone AWOL: no response to email or voicemail, I checked with BavSound and they could not reach out to them either.

2. My ever so helpful local BMW dealer would refuse to install anything on my X5 that is not an OEM part.

3. I have inquired with at least a dozen reputable car audio installers or mechanics in my area and (much to my surprise) most of them said they wouldn't touch a newer German car with a stick, others said they do not do stereo installs and one said they would do it and gave me an estimate of $800-900 just for the install, which is a total ripoff that I of course declined.

4. Now I am clinging to a glimpse of hope as an installer said they would look into it and may be able to do it for a more reasonable price…

We'll see how it goes… :
BMW of Fairfax will do Bavsound install. They have done Focal's for a friend's 45e recently. Even they will openly say that there is a clear audible difference. FWIW, the plug and play updates can be done by any installer.

When I updated my speakers, initially I felt that the audio improvement was just OK. But, when I got into a loaner I realized how much of an improvement it really was. Well worth it IMHO.
Appreciate 3
      10-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #20
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
+1 for Bavsound
I just bought a 2020 X5 with HK, and did the stage 1 upgrade. I did the install myself. The video on their website shows you almost all you need to know. The plastic door retention clips break pretty easily when they are removed. Bavsound gives you some extra ones, but that wasn't enough to replace all the ones that broke. I had a pkg of 20 or so that I bought off of amazon. They came in very handy.
I am impressed with the improvement in sound quality. Fuller, richer sound, clearer bass, softer and clearer highs. For me, well worth the $.
This is the 4th car I put Bav speakers in. Had an f10 535 HK that I did stage 1+subs. That was great! A 2017 X3 with HK, that I just did subs. That was an improvement, but not over-the-top good.
I have an F06 GC with B&O, subs replaced. Definite improvement.
And now the G05 with just stage 1. I don't think I will replace the subs in the X5 due to the hassle of ungluing the factory units.

I am really pleased with how it turned out.
Thank you for input and reassurance on the BavSound upgrade - any chance you would be able to tell me which plastic door retainer clips you bought? I looked them up on Amazon and there's a ton of different types/brands.

I don't want to mess around with the subwoofers either, that's for certain.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #21
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
BMW of Fairfax will do Bavsound install. They have done Focal's for a friend's 45e recently. Even they will openly say that there is a clear audible difference. FWIW, the plug and play updates can be done by any installer.

When I updated my speakers, initially I felt that the audio improvement was just OK. But, when I got into a loaner I realized how much of an improvement it really was. Well worth it IMHO.
Thank you.

My local BMW dealer has consistently been unhelpful and delivered poor service, and their service people are no exception. I spoke to Justin at BavSound, who on the other hand has been super-helpful, and he told me that many (most?) BMW dealers would do the install no problem.

Regarding third-party installers, I was surprised at how many of them said they would not touch a newer BMW.

I now have a confirmed appointment with one installer who said he'd do it in two weeks: fingers crossed that he doesn't cancel on me. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:36 PM   #22
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post

Thank you.

My local BMW dealer has consistently been unhelpful and delivered poor service, and their service people are no exception. I spoke to Justin at BavSound, who on the other hand has been super-helpful, and he told me that many (most?) BMW dealers would do the install no problem.

Regarding third-party installers, I was surprised at how many of them said they would not touch a newer BMW.

I now have a confirmed appointment with one installer who said he'd do it in two weeks: fingers crossed that he doesn't cancel on me. We'll see.
In Northern VA, it's common to see installers working on brand new cars. I got mine done by a Focal dealer (since I didn't know at the time the dealer did it) and right there was a new X7 where they were doing some custom audio job on. I was curious since the X7 at the time could be had with B&W!

I had to wait for a month as well. Most people I know, if they are doing a plug and play just go to the dealer.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1