BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #23
X5Salty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
If you want to have fun, go play with the options on other country sites and you can see what you’re missing. If you go to Australia, for example, they get almost all options curently for a m50i, including air suspension, B&W, soft close, heated/cooled cup holders, full merino, anti dazzle exterior mirrors (I didn’t know this existed!), rear seat infotainment, display key, acoustic glass, luggage package, m seat belts, ambient air, night vision, M carbon mirror caps, Qi charger.

The list is pretty complete - almost every option. No 20” tires though, and you CAN get a tow hitch as of this morning.

This has to be due to market size. BMW can get parts, just not in quantity. If you live in a smaller market, congrats, you are likely to get a much more kitted out BMW for a few years. ugh.
This is correct. I had a high spec 30D built and landed here in Australia with options that were restricted in the US at the time.

Smaller volume market a factor and also distribution agreements with each country likely to add contractual complications to changing model specs. US factory to US market may not have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

X7 builds on US website still offer hitches.

Ultimately I wouldn't sweat it. As others have said the OEM removes the kick sensor and depending on the body color, does not contrast visually very well. (It's black, and to certain eyes, appears asymmetric and off centered)

The only reason I ordered the hitch was solely because it is cheaper to add it on during the build than to retrofit it (or any other brand hitch) later. Plus I prefer the OEM look and wanted the software to be factory coded.

This is what mine would look like. But in my opinion it doesn't look as good on lighter colors (high contrast) or with no shadowline/M sport (gray bumper guard)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/592410...in/photostream

Here are pictures how it looks on cars with no shadow line and xline or light color bumpers:

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-23-2021 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1947541&stc=1&d=1543720638
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #25
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

THere are mechanical as well as electrical components involved with the OEM hitch that would be VERY costly to replicate with after market devices. The OEM hitch, if you can get it, is way cheaper and more capable than the aftermarket ones as it includes the electrical interface that performs the following functions:
- stability control
- lights along with bulb out detection
- camera changes
- pdc deactivation
and then, you have the increased braking and cooling capacity.

What it does not include is an electronic brake controller that some models provide, but it's not needed for lighter trailers. IMHO, it's all behind you, you can't see it while driving, and I don't think it really looks bad, so the cost/benefit ratio more than makes up for that. The lack of kick to open isn't a big deal to me as I've got comfort access...even with my hands full, I can press the button on the hatch to open it up, so I don't have to put things down. If I had to get the fob out, that might be a different thing, but I doubt it would be enough to sway me.

In many markets, not the US, or at least it's not enforced, putting something like a bike rack on the back that then blocks the lights, requires auxiliary lights on the rack, so having the electrical interface becomes much more important, and the auto shutoff of the PDC means one less thing to deal with manually each time you start the vehicle.

Hopefully, the lack of OEM towing package is only short-lived...it's a bargain.
Appreciate 2
X5Salty32.50
Flying Ace4982.50
      10-24-2021, 07:53 PM   #26
TheWooferson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Yea, no more tow hitches for X5. Ordered mine 3 weeks ago and my sale rep called me right before they placed an order saying the hitch is no longer available.

We decided to swap it for an alcantara headliner on the spot. Hoping no more issues with the build. Stuck in "production begins" for over a week now.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 07:57 PM   #27
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_swammer View Post
Yea, no more tow hitches for X5. Ordered mine 3 weeks ago and my sale rep called me right before they placed an order saying the hitch is no longer available.

We decided to swap it for an alcantara headliner on the spot. Hoping no more issues with the build. Stuck in "production begins" for over a week now.
If an item becomes n longer available after submitting the order, does BMW takes care of their customers with a refund and some additional credit or so to make the customers happy?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #28
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
If an item becomes n longer available after submitting the order, does BMW takes care of their customers with a refund and some additional credit or so to make the customers happy?
Yes, the price tends to get adjusted.

Once the order has been accepted, generally, that means they've been able to source all of the parts (i.e., they've been ordered for that vehicle). But, things are still somewhat fluid, and who knows what may change. Accepted means by the factory, not your dealership...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #29
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

My order is in "Production Begins" status now
and the Hitch is still in the "Added options" section.
Does this mean I will still have the hitch? Or things could change as production going?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #30
Bearco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulu View Post
My order is in "Production Begins" status now
and the Hitch is still in the "Added options" section.
Does this mean I will still have the hitch? Or things could change as production going?
I think you're good. They removed 2 options from my order last week when it changed to "scheduled for production."
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #31
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

If options are deleted from an order does the buyer have the right to cancel with a full refund and no further obligation?

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:12 PM   #32
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFresh47 View Post
Could you tell me where you bout the Stealth Hitch from?

How much to install?
I did it by myself. Took 3 hours, wife helped to remove and place back bumper. There are good videos from etrailer.com:

Since I need it for a bike rack only, I didn't bother myself installing electrical connections to the trailer.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:14 PM   #33
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
If options are deleted from an order does the buyer have the right to cancel with a full refund and no further obligation?
It should be the case.

- Buyer signs a build spec document and expect car to be what he wants to be
- If factory changes build, there should be a right to cancel this order without any penalties (e.g. non-refundable deposit).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:37 AM   #34
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cool cars

Removed from our build… Just got the allocation today and we had to sign off on the new build sheet showing the trailer hitch removed.

Cheaper and get the prettier bumper (plus the kick to open feature), but as pointed out above, gonna be a lot more $$ for a comparable hitch if we decide to install one later.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #35
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Eunos View Post
Removed from our build… Just got the allocation today and we had to sign off on the new build sheet showing the trailer hitch removed.

Cheaper and get the prettier bumper (plus the kick to open feature), but as pointed out above, gonna be a lot more $$ for a comparable hitch if we decide to install one later.
Just got the call from our sales guy and Im not happy, they also removed the hitch from my build that was put in production just on Monday 10/18. Terrible that BMW is doing this.. pisses me off... what are people supposed to do instead use non-oem hitches that reduce the towing capacity from what I have heard?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:55 PM   #36
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The body is the same with or without the factory hitch so that portion of 'strength' is the same, but the OEM towing package also comes with better brakes (and, I think) cooling, so that might lower the max towing capacity. Depending on which brakes on the vehicle, that may not be an issue, and if you're not trying to tow something at the top end of the allowance, probably not an issue, either. On the chassis, the maximum tongue weight would still be 551#, regardless of the hitch you installed. Aftermarket ones may advertise more, but in the fine print, they say it's limited to the vehicle specs, which may be lower.

It's a lot easier to get the ball at the proper height with the OEM receiver than something like the Stealth hitch. THey essentially have three heights, anything in between or beyond the +/- 2.5" from 18" in 2.5" steps will require customization and extra costs. THe ball mount I bought for mine allows a +/- 4" range in 1" increments, and they sell one that has more range, if needed.
Appreciate 0