BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Dashcam recommendations

I know I know there are several posts about dashcam recommendations but I have a specific need and wanted to know what are the top 3 recommendations based on These factors (in no particular order) - best image quality, ease of transferring videos, best night time resolution and parking mode monitoring without draining the battery. Price is not an issue. I could do a DIY or I can have it professionally installed - either way am ok but top notch performance is key.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
halfbent
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
India
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
I know I know there are several posts about dashcam recommendations but I have a specific need and wanted to know what are the top 3 recommendations based on These factors (in no particular order) - best image quality, ease of transferring videos, best night time resolution and parking mode monitoring without draining the battery. Price is not an issue. I could do a DIY or I can have it professionally installed - either way am ok but top notch performance is key.

Not just saying this because I was thinking of selling my kit, but I recommend the thinkware u1000 along with a battery backup for extended parking recording.

it does 4k, its 2-ch, and all of that fancy stuff. also had hotspot capabilities so you can remotely monitor.

I'm on the edge on whether or not I should sell my kit (it's NIB), so let me know if you decide to go this route after you do your research.

Last edited by halfbent; 10-18-2021 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Name:  IMG_2784.jpg
Views: 5905
Size:  483.1 KB

I have been using dash cams for many years now. Quality is important, but the functionality and reliability of a dash cam are the two most important things to me, personally. A 1080p video and a 4k video will both have enough video quality if you do get into an accident and need the footage for insurance purposes. Yes, a 4k video will have a better quality and it also allows you to zoom in on certain areas of the video without much distortion.
Anyway, I've never been too keen on doing a hard wire installation. I have a BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery and this thing is AMAZING. On parking mode, I can get EASILY 15 - 16 hours out of the battery, which is PLENTY in my opinion. I mounted the battery in my trunk and I turn it off when I park the car in my garage.
I owned a Blackvue dr750s-2ch many years ago. The quality was great, but I did have some issues with overheating. (I'm in FL)
The camera then stopped working about 2 years later.
I tried the Thinkware U1000. GREAT quality, but did not like the software and the design was a HUGE turn off for me.
The Garmin mini dash cam is TRULY great. I used it for a few months till I got my BlackVue DR900X-2CH. The Garmin mini dash cam works flawlessly. Their app is WAY better than Blackvue's and Thinkware's. The thing NEVER crashes. It simply just WORKS. The camera does have parking mode, but you have to hard wired in order to do so. Even if I connected it to my Blackvue battery, the parking mode wouldn't work. Garmin sells a special cable to hard wire it. I did hear issues with the Garmin mini dash cam overheating on parking mode, but I can't comment as I never got to try it.
My recommendation to you would be the BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus.
Mine is not the Plus, which has some minor improvements over the previous model.
Below are the main reasons why it has been my favorite dash cams out of all the ones I have used in the past:

* The shape of the camera is great. I love the cylinder shape as it does give it kind of a stealthy look. It's not too intrusive at all.

* The quality is really awesome. Night video is great as well.

* It seems that Blackvue has done a great job addressing the overheating issues from their previous cameras. I have not had any issues since I got the camera. NOTE: I do take advantage of the climate control that can be run for 30 min. I set it to run twice a day to help minimize the heat in the car.

I have to admit that I'm not crazy about their software/app.
Appreciate 2
DG-X5166.50
GrussGott18113.00
      10-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

Seconded rayusaFL on the BlackVue app leaving some to be desired, but as someone running the new BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus on my F95, I highly recommend the same.

My biggest annoyance is the constant interplay between CarPlay WiFi and the BlackVue Wi-Fi connection switching back and forth when you're trying to connect to the cam - that's more my device and not the camera itself, but annoying nonetheless.

Image quality and features-wise, absolutely phenomenal. Don't get the security mount, though, if you do go BlackVue - easily defeat-able generic 3mm key and it makes connecting everything up a lot more finicky and difficult.

I wired it entirely myself (some electronics experience, nothing automotive before this, though). Took me 75 mins front+rear including the hardwiring to the 12v panel. Glad to answer any questions!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5 View Post
Seconded rayusaFL on the BlackVue app leaving some to be desired, but as someone running the new BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus on my F95, I highly recommend the same.

My biggest annoyance is the constant interplay between CarPlay WiFi and the BlackVue Wi-Fi connection switching back and forth when you're trying to connect to the cam - that's more my device and not the camera itself, but annoying nonetheless.

Image quality and features-wise, absolutely phenomenal. Don't get the security mount, though, if you do go BlackVue - easily defeat-able generic 3mm key and it makes connecting everything up a lot more finicky and difficult.

I wired it entirely myself (some electronics experience, nothing automotive before this, though) and would be glad to answer any questions. Took me 75 mins front+rear including the hardwiring to the 12v panel. Glad to answer any questions!
By the way, I was having issues with the camera wi-fi turning itself off often. It turned out that i had the "Wi-Fi auto turn off" feature on.
Once I switched it to off, it worked perfectly and the wi-fi was always on.
Appreciate 1
DG-X5166.50
      10-20-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Why not use the BMW App (6DR) which uses the 4 surround cameras is it critical to require monitoring when the vehicle is parked ? I have it mainly for incidents I come across and may be involved in. Camera resolution is pretty good in my opinion even at night.
I suggest you trial it for 30 days and see what you think before going down the third party route

I keep asking for the below feature in the My BMW App ie when the vehicle is tampered with it automatically takes a recording in the same way as the App allows you to do a remote view now If we all start asking for it they may do something about it Just my 5 cents
      10-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #7
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
Quote:
Why not use the BMW App (6DR) which uses the 4 surround cameras is it critical to require monitoring when the vehicle is parked ? I have it mainly for incidents I come across and may be involved in. Camera resolution is pretty good in my opinion even at night.
I suggest you trial it for 30 days and see what you think before going down the third party route

I keep asking for the below feature in the My BMW App ie when the vehicle is tampered with it automatically takes a recording in the same way as the App allows you to do a remote view now If we all start asking for it they may do something about it Just my 5 cents
The BMW Drive Recorder is not a replacement for a dash cam, especially when it comes to parking mode.
I have the app on my X6 and it's on, of course. But, I still have my dash cam.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
Quote:

Useless as a dash cam and BMW will not change the 40 second recording length. I have it on my 22 X5. Had a 3 channel hardwired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 03:00 AM   #9
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayusaFL View Post
Attachment 2722865

I have been using dash cams for many years now. Quality is important, but the functionality and reliability of a dash cam are the two most important things to me, personally. A 1080p video and a 4k video will both have enough video quality if you do get into an accident and need the footage for insurance purposes. Yes, a 4k video will have a better quality and it also allows you to zoom in on certain areas of the video without much distortion.
Anyway, I've never been too keen on doing a hard wire installation. I have a BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery and this thing is AMAZING. On parking mode, I can get EASILY 15 - 16 hours out of the battery, which is PLENTY in my opinion. I mounted the battery in my trunk and I turn it off when I park the car in my garage.
I owned a Blackvue dr750s-2ch many years ago. The quality was great, but I did have some issues with overheating. (I'm in FL)
I tried the Thinkware U1000. GREAT quality, but did not like the software and the design was a HUGE turn off for me.
The Garmin mini dash cam is TRULY great. I used it for a few months till I got my BlackVue DR900X-2CH. The Garmin mini dash cam works flawlessly. Their app is WAY better than Blackvue's and Thinkware's. The thing NEVER crashes. It simply just WORKS. The camera does have parking mode, but you have to hard wired in order to do so. Even if I connected it to my Blackvue battery, the parking mode wouldn't work. Garmin sells a special cable to hard wire it. I did hear issues with the Garmin mini dash cam overheating on parking mode, but I can't comment as I never got to try it.
Mine is not the Plus, which has some minor improvements over the previous model.
Below are the main reasons why it has been my favorite dash cams out of all the ones I have used in the past:

* The shape of the camera is great. I love the cylinder shape as it does give it kind of a stealthy look. It's not too intrusive at all.

* It seems that Blackvue has done a great job addressing the overheating issues from their previous cameras. I have not had any issues since I got the camera. NOTE: I do take advantage of the climate control that can be run for 30 min. I set it to run twice a day to help minimize the heat in the car.

This is awesome info and helps me make my decision quickly and easily. One question before I purchase the plus cam - what memory size is enough? I park my car in my garage at night but the parking mode is important for me for when I am parked at the grocery store, overnight at someone's house parked on the street, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 05:26 AM   #10
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

This is awesome info and helps me make my decision quickly and easily. One question before I purchase the plus cam - what memory size is enough? I park my car in my garage at night but the parking mode is important for me for when I am parked at the grocery store, overnight at someone's house parked on the street, etc.
Definitely get a 256gb then, which this model supports.
Ensure it is also a high endurance card. This is what I have.

SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P4HBRMV...SXX2215NWVVVZM

You can always play with the settings for parking mode and adjust the sensitivity, areas where you don't want the camera to sense, such as a high tree, etc…

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
DG-X5166.50
      10-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #11
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

Question... on the blackvue site... it asks for memory size and the what's included says microSD card. The 256GB is $160 more than the 32GB, is that just the card or is there other differences? A 256GB high endurance card is only like $40.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #12
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-M4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P4HBRMV...SXX2215NWVVVZM

You can always play with the settings for parking mode and adjust the sensitivity, areas where you don't want the camera to sense, such as a high tree, etc…

Good luck!
So I can just buy the camera that comes with the 32gb card and then install a new 256gb card that I buy?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #13
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstahl View Post
Question... on the blackvue site... it asks for memory size and the what's included says microSD card. The 256GB is $160 more than the 32GB, is that just the card or is there other differences? A 256GB high endurance card is only like $40.
Their microSD card is a ripoff. Get a high endurance microSD from a reputable brand, such as Sandisk, Sony,etc… and you will be perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #14
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

Good luck!
So I can just buy the camera that comes with the 32gb card and then install a new 256gb card that I buy?
Yep. That's what I did and what most people do.
Be sure to get a HIGH ENDURANCE one though.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 12:35 AM   #15
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

70mai (a xiaomi company) released several affordable dashcams.
Put an order for 2 items on amazon (will check and return based on the experience):
https://70mai.store/products/70mai-d...-pro-plus-plus
https://70mai.store/products/70mai-dash-cam-4k-a800s

They have pretty good feedback everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:22 AM   #16
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

Good luck!
Ok awesome. Getting the same one. Now on the blackvue website it asks me for several options like parking mode add on, lte connectivity module and tamper proof case. What do I do with those? Also, is a battery pack needed for parking mode? I am sorry for the questions but I have no clue about this and a total newbie so trying to get the best product and package.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 05:37 AM   #17
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

Good luck!
Ok awesome. Getting the same one. Now on the blackvue website it asks me for several options like parking mode add on, lte connectivity module and tamper proof case. What do I do with those? Also, is a battery pack needed for parking mode? I am sorry for the questions but I have no clue about this and a total newbie so trying to get the best product and package.
Please, no worries and you can ask away.

I passed on the tamper proof case. That's a personal choice as I didn't want the camera to look bulkier.

Regarding the LTE module, you will need it if you want to have you camera connected to the cloud via a wi-fi hotspot. That way, you can always access your camera and get alerts no matter where you are. I also passed on that.

The battery was a MUST for me as I did not want to hard wire the camera. The battery allows your camera to stay on for almost 24 hours and record in parking mode. It may even last longer depending on use.
If you see the picture I posted, the battery sits in my trunk.
Below is a link for more info on the battery.

By the way, you can always buy the camera on Amazon. Just ensure it is from a reputable seller.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 05:11 AM   #18
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

Good luck!

I passed on the tamper proof case. That's a personal choice as I didn't want the camera to look bulkier.

Regarding the LTE module, you will need it if you want to have you camera connected to the cloud via a wi-fi hotspot. That way, you can always access your camera and get alerts no matter where you are. I also passed on that.

The battery was a MUST for me as I did not want to hard wire the camera. The battery allows your camera to stay on for almost 24 hours and record in parking mode. It may even last longer depending on use.

By the way, you can always buy the camera on Amazon. Just ensure it is from a reputable seller.

Thanks for the detailed info man. So did you get the B-124x battery pack? Shit..that is almost as expensive as the camera itself hahaha. With the install I am looking at $1100 for a dashcam! Lol

Another question - the battery pack is just 6.7 inches tall so could you not have put it in a place where it is concealed? I ask because this is in the trunk and if you have a loaded car or a dog (like I haul my big guy) and something hits it would it not fly out? How have you secured it? So for my purpose on the parking mode is to use it when I am out and about for a few hours but at night the car is garaged so do not need it then - can I set up the cam to use the parking mode for a few hours when I want to and then have parking mode not active at night once I am home?

What is a good spot to install the front and back cams? The front especially in a way that avoids blocking any sensors on the rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #19
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed info man. So did you get the B-124x battery pack? Shit..that is almost as expensive as the camera itself hahaha. With the install I am looking at $1100 for a dashcam! Lol

Another question - the battery pack is just 6.7 inches tall so could you not have put it in a place where it is concealed? I ask because this is in the trunk and if you have a loaded car or a dog (like I haul my big guy) and something hits it would it not fly out? How have you secured it? So for my purpose on the parking mode is to use it when I am out and about for a few hours but at night the car is garaged so do not need it then - can I set up the cam to use the parking mode for a few hours when I want to and then have parking mode not active at night once I am home?

What is a good spot to install the front and back cams? The front especially in a way that avoids blocking any sensors on the rear view mirror.
Yes, the battery is expensive but worth every penny if you don't want to hard wire your dash cam. It indeed performs really well.
The battery is secured with some Velcro. It is nothing going anywhere.
You can always find another spot for you that may work better.
Yes, you can turn the battery on and off. So, I turn it the AM right before going inside the car and then off when the car is parked inside my garage.
Regarding the location of the camera, that's personal. Some may put on the right, left or center. If you google it though, most people put it on the center.
The parking mode on this camera truly works great.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #20
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

Good luck!

Yes, the battery is expensive but worth every penny if you don't want to hard wire your dash cam. It indeed performs really well.
Yes, you can turn the battery on and off. So, I turn it the AM right before going inside the car and then off when the car is parked inside my garage.
Regarding the location of the camera, that's personal. Some may put on the right, left or center. If you google it though, most people put it on the center.
Gotcha. Placed the order directly with Blackvue so let's see once it gets here. Amazon had it for $40 cheaper for 2 day prime delivery but directly with Blackvue there was no tax that I pay so ended up being $25 cheaper than Amazon as a total bundle
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #21
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Attachment 2722865

Good luck!

Gotcha. Placed the order directly with Blackvue so let's see once it gets here. Amazon had it for $40 cheaper for 2 day prime delivery but directly with Blackvue there was no tax that I pay so ended up being $25 cheaper than Amazon as a total bundle
Great.
Let me know how it goes.
Have fun with the installation. 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #22
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I went with the BV900x dual with BL750 battery pack(It's slimmer than the blackvue ) I mounted the BL750 in the rear compartment drivers side behind the the control box. Totally out of site. Also went with a blendmount. I also installed a mylo remote control to turn off and on the camera so I don't have to use battery when my car is parked in my garage and no need for parking mode. I keep 1 remote in the car other in the house.

here a pick of the bl-750 mounted in compartment (F96)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0