BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
whoppa
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Unhappy Need winter tires and wheels... please help!

I have a 2021 X5 X40i and can really use some help with figuring out how to prepare for the winter season!

1. This is a lease so I'd like to keep costs down as much as possible (I'll spring for the tires but I'll probably cheap out on the wheels). That said, I'm not sure if it makes sense to look for 22" winter tires so I can use my current rims or buy a set for winter and then try to sell them at the end of the lease. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems to me that getting 22" tires might come out cheaper but it's my understanding that smaller wheels perform better for the winter? And I'm guessing that I'll have a tougher time selling 22" tires later?

2. I have the M Sport package, which includes the M Sport brakes. Can anyone confirm if I can use 19" wheels or if I need to go with 20" wheels?

3. I've never had TPMS on a car before. If I get a winter set, do I need to buy a set of these too?

If anyone has any recommendations for tire shops in and around Toronto, please do share! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

There's heaps of commentary on the forum around this subject. Do a little reading up and you'll get many folks talk about the pro/con of each.
Generally, the gold standard in your situation would be to get a pair of 20" wheels and dedicated winter tires including TPMS (TPMS is not mandatory but recommended and cheap if you buy an aftermarket set). The benefit is, yes, a more narrow 275 square set-up with higher sidewall will preform better vs a staggered set, and in this size you have less expensive and many more choices of quality snow rated tires. Using your 22inch wheels, you risk more wear and tear as in snow/ice covered roads, pot holes, and hazards are less noticeable thereby more likely to be hit, and your 22inch choices will be more limited and a premium. (Do the math on each...might not be a huge diff). That said, if your season is short or if you are usually on dry roads, just occasionally in ice/snow then some of the downsides of the 22 option are diminished...
After a few seasons of winter tires on 22 it's not likely you'll have enough tread to recoup any cost.
This could be a good option for a full wheel set:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1867574

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppa View Post
I have a 2021 X5 X40i and can really use some help with figuring out how to prepare for the winter season!

1. This is a lease so I'd like to keep costs down as much as possible (I'll spring for the tires but I'll probably cheap out on the wheels). That said, I'm not sure if it makes sense to look for 22" winter tires so I can use my current rims or buy a set for winter and then try to sell them at the end of the lease. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems to me that getting 22" tires might come out cheaper but it's my understanding that smaller wheels perform better for the winter? And I'm guessing that I'll have a tougher time selling 22" tires later?

2. I have the M Sport package, which includes the M Sport brakes. Can anyone confirm if I can use 19" wheels or if I need to go with 20" wheels?

3. I've never had TPMS on a car before. If I get a winter set, do I need to buy a set of these too?

If anyone has any recommendations for tire shops in and around Toronto, please do share! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #3
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
There's heaps of commentary on the forum around this subject. Do a little reading up and you'll get many folks talk about the pro/con of each.
Generally, the gold standard in your situation would be to get a pair of 20" wheels and dedicated winter tires including TPMS (TPMS is not mandatory but recommended and cheap if you buy an aftermarket set). The benefit is, yes, a more narrow 275 square set-up with higher sidewall will preform better vs a staggered set, and in this size you have less expensive and many more choices of quality snow rated tires. Using your 22inch wheels, you risk more wear and tear as in snow/ice covered roads, pot holes, and hazards are less noticeable thereby more likely to be hit, and your 22inch choices will be more limited and a premium. (Do the math on each...might not be a huge diff). That said, if your season is short or if you are usually on dry roads, just occasionally in ice/snow then some of the downsides of the 22 option are diminished...
After a few seasons of winter tires on 22 it's not likely you'll have enough tread to recoup any cost.
This could be a good option for a full wheel set:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1867574

Quote:
OP: I recommend either Kipling Tire in Etobicoke or Tires23 in Mississauga. I have a lot of experience with both and between price, selection and product knowledge, they are both top of list.
      10-23-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
whoppa
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Thanks guys! I've been calling around and it looks like a lot of shops have complete packages available. I think I'll be going that route with 20" wheels.
Appreciate 0