BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2021, 11:56 PM   #1
irpirate
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 x5mc

Subwoofer Install

As amazing as the B&W system is, the low end was a bit lacking for me(basshead). The goal of the install was to retain all cargo space and the spare. Initially I looked at spare tire powered subs but there just wasn't enough depth to be able to close cargo floor while keeping the spare; so I started looking at powered underseat subs. I settled on Kicker mostly because I like the company. Pretty straight forward install, all in all took 3-4 hours.

Kicker Hideaway 10
Technic PnP add a sub harness

Not quite Sema quality lol but I'm just a dude in a garage who likes bass.
Foam insert removed, all the spare tools went into a tool bag.
Maybe someday I'll clean up the wiring if I care enough.

Happy camper for now
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      10-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Looks like fun. Are there any ports or the like from the cabin into that wheel area? Where did you tap into the signal and power?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Looks like fun. Are there any ports or the like from the cabin into that wheel area? Where did you tap into the signal and power?
Easiest install I've ever done. I hate installing haha. No ports or anything. Even with the rubber mat the sound transfers through well. Signal came from the Technic PnP add a sub harness, has connectors for signal wires to LOC. Battery is in the back under the plastic cover.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
MC2002X5MC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC

You have inspired me. I think the B&W sounds great, but it just needs more punch to fit my taste.
Did you get the Bowers and Wilkins (Option 6F1) Add-a-Sub Harness for
OEM Booster 42-pin PnP T-harness only – no LOC-150
or did it also require the LOC-150 : Gain adjustment, signal clipping indicator LOC?
Seems this job should be pretty straightforward to install, any tricks to share, or is this going to be an easy one?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 04:50 PM   #5
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2002X5MC View Post
You have inspired me. I think the B&W sounds great, but it just needs more punch to fit my taste.
Did you get the Bowers and Wilkins (Option 6F1) Add-a-Sub Harness for
OEM Booster 42-pin PnP T-harness only – no LOC-150
or did it also require the LOC-150 : Gain adjustment, signal clipping indicator LOC?
Seems this job should be pretty straightforward to install, any tricks to share, or is this going to be an easy one?
Thanks, the main reason I posted this was when I was researching I couldn't find anything on installs.

I got the LOC-150: gain adjustment since I was using low level inputs (RCAs). If you are using something that has high level inputs you shouldn't need a LOC I believe. Don't quote me on that. The nice thing about the Wavtech Link 2 is that it can use audio detection for turn on which solves the amp turn on; simple remote out from Link 2 to amp.

Very straight forward, the most difficult part was figuring out how to fit it given the space constraints so it all comes down to what you are looking to achieve.

After really listening to it today the floor/mat does muffle the bass quite a bit. Doesn't bother me, just looking for something to blend in with factory. If you want something to really bump I would definitely lean towards a dedicated sub enclosure and amp.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18168.50
      10-19-2021, 06:06 PM   #6
thaddh10
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model X

Nice work.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Did you retain the underseat woofers as well, or took them out?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaddh10 View Post
Nice work.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Did you retain the underseat woofers as well, or took them out?
B&W system didn't change, just added the sub.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #9
Mitchfin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpirate View Post
As amazing as the B&W system is, the low end was a bit lacking for me(basshead). The goal of the install was to retain all cargo space and the spare. Initially I looked at spare tire powered subs but there just wasn't enough depth to be able to close cargo floor while keeping the spare; so I started looking at powered underseat subs. I settled on Kicker mostly because I like the company. Pretty straight forward install, all in all took 3-4 hours.

Kicker Hideaway 10

Happy camper for now
Did you buy the wood plate and harnesses from kicker or did you make them?

2019 X5 40i
CHP | B&W | Executive | M Sport | DAP | Carbon Blue | Tartufo
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchfin View Post
Did you buy the wood plate and harnesses from kicker or did you make them?
The straps came with the amp. Wood plate I made, amp comes with a paper template/trace the amp. Used the factory wing screw to hold the wood plate and to secure the spare.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #11
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Quote:

Kicker Hideaway 10

Happy camper for now
Awesome, I might take this route myself instead of upgrading the flat woofers under the seat this time. I have the Harmon Kardon and in past cars I just upgraded the under seat woofers and it improved the overall all sound a great deal but the bass was still limited as far as its listening volume and bottoming out.
      12-06-2021, 05:44 PM   #12
Mitchfin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Easiest install I've ever done. I hate installing haha. No ports or anything. Even with the rubber mat the sound transfers through well. Signal came from the Technic PnP add a sub harness, has connectors for signal wires to LOC. Battery is in the back under the plastic cover.
What's the benefit of the plug and play vs just nutting the wires together? It seems like a steep price at $150

2019 X5 40i
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #13
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post
Awesome, I might take this route myself instead of upgrading the flat woofers under the seat this time. I have the Harmon Kardon and in past cars I just upgraded the under seat woofers and it improved the overall all sound a great deal but the bass was still limited as far as its listening volume and bottoming out.
They also have the option of powering the underseat woofers with an aftermarket amp on the PnP harness. Adding a dedicated subwoofer is the way to go IMO.

Quote:
What's the benefit of the plug and play vs just nutting the wires together? It seems like a steep price at $150
Ease of install and reversibility. 120k+ car I don't want to be tapping into/cutting wires.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      12-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #14
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

irpirate Great idea, thanks for sharing. The bottom end in my
X4MC is also lacking. I don't have a spare tire but do have space under the floor to try out the kicker option.

So now that you have had it running for a bit how are you liking it? Anything you would change or do differently?

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 12-07-2021 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #15
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
X4MC is also lacking. I don't have a spare tire but do have space under the floor to try out the kicker option.

So now that you have had it running for a bit how are you liking it? Anything you would change or do differently?
Loving it; gained some volume as well as low end extension. Don't think I would do anything different as the space savings was important.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post

Loving it; gained some volume as well as low end extension. Don't think I would do anything different as the space savings was important.
Appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #17
Mitchfin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, the main reason I posted this was when I was researching I couldn't find anything on installs.

I got the LOC-150: gain adjustment since I was using low level inputs (RCAs). If you are using something that has high level inputs you shouldn't need a LOC I believe. Don't quote me on that. The nice thing about the Wavtech Link 2 is that it can use audio detection for turn on which solves the amp turn on; simple remote out from Link 2 to amp.

Very straight forward, the most difficult part was figuring out how to fit it given the space constraints so it all comes down to what you are looking to achieve.

After really listening to it today the floor/mat does muffle the bass quite a bit. Doesn't bother me, just looking for something to blend in with factory. If you want something to really bump I would definitely lean towards a dedicated sub enclosure and amp.
What were you using the RCA cables for? I'm about to pull the trigger but not sure if I need the LOC. If its wired directly to the sub then doesn't that deliver the signal directly?

2019 X5 40i
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
What were you using the RCA cables for? I'm about to pull the trigger but not sure if I need the LOC. If its wired directly to the sub then doesn't that deliver the signal directly?
I believe so, again, don't quote me on that. The good thing about this and some other specific LOC's is the auto turn on feature. Without it, you have to tap into something for your amp remote in.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #19
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

Would that sub fit in the first aid kit compartment to the left if you took off the cover?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:29 PM   #20
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
Would that sub fit in the first aid kit compartment to the left if you took off the cover?
I considered it when I started the project, both the left and right compartment. I believe it would have ended up being more fab work to get it mounted securely; it is a much tighter space to work in as well. The way it is installed is much easier to access and remove if necessary.

I took the obvious easy install
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #21
Mitchfin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Kicker Hideaway 10

Happy camper for now
Ok I got the sub but for some reason it didn't come with straps so I'll have to come up with a different way to secure it. But I'm curious:

1. How did you secure the board to the wheel?
2. Did you have to cut a hole for the tire screw mechanism?
3. Can you still fit all the jack equipment under the floor?

2019 X5 40i
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #22
irpirate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok I got the sub but for some reason it didn't come with straps so I'll have to come up with a different way to secure it. But I'm curious:

1. How did you secure the board to the wheel?
2. Did you have to cut a hole for the tire screw mechanism?
3. Can you still fit all the jack equipment under the floor?

I actually thought about swapping to the mounting feet to make it more secure. It rattles a bit with the straps but you can't hear it when the cover is closed. Will make the removable process longer.

1 & 2. see pictures. The board actually holds the spare down instead of the round metal piece. I sprayed some flexseal on the bottom of the board to give it more some friction.
3. Couldn't, went into a tote that sits in the trunk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0