BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

2021 xdrive45e powertrain/power issue - roadside assist

I was driving my xdrive45e (thankfully) near my house and ran into what seems like a critical issue - the dash flashed with messages for "power supply issue" and "steering control" asking me to stop driving for safety. I happened to be close to my house and could drive back without incident.

I called BMW roadside assistance and I have to say, the experience left a lot to be desired. First of all, the call dropped when I was sharing the details. The tech did call back in a few minutes, but I then used the SOS button in the meantime. I couldn't figure out any other way to talk to roadside assistance (control messages had disappeared). This is really a system from hell - I asked to be transferred to my original tech and the system put me on hold. The crazy part - there was no way for me to kill this service call!! It seems the SOS calls are routed through a separate system which does *not* obey volume or phone controls. Did I mention that the iDrive display was uselessly displaying "call active" with no way to control the call itself?

Is this normal? The call ended on its own after a few minutes. The volume was loud - I had to step out of the car to take a call from BMW roadside assistance and there was no way for the tech to end the SOS call as well.

I will leave the rant about the lack of loaners at the dealer for some other time and the rude tone of the roadside assistance tech for another time.

Anyone else face similar issues (power supply/SOS call)?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, each thing that uses the audio system has its own stored volume setting, so say you're listening to the radio and the nav talks to you to give an instruction...IF you adjust the volume WHILE that is happening, that new volume for that function will be stored and not affect what was going on previously. Same is true for the phone, and may be separate for the SOS channel as well.

Now, why that happened, no idea.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Sorry that happened it sounds like a poor experience.

The SOS call probably doesn't easily disconnect to give the call center time to verify that you're OK. The SOS call is a lot like calling 911. So they want to be a bit sure you couldn't accidentally end the call in a crash or other scenario.

You can also call Roadside Assistance via the MyBMW app if you have that installed. The number is also on a sticker on your windshield by the driver's side. Hopefully they can sort things out for you though!
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Sorry that happened it sounds like a poor experience.

The SOS call probably doesn't easily disconnect to give the call center time to verify that you're OK. The SOS call is a lot like calling 911. So they want to be a bit sure you couldn't accidentally end the call in a crash or other scenario.

You can also call Roadside Assistance via the MyBMW app if you have that installed. The number is also on a sticker on your windshield by the driver's side. Hopefully they can sort things out for you though!
Definitely agree on the "poor experience" part. If it is an emergency call, you would think they wouldn't keep you on hold for 5-10 minutes! It was just the lack of control that was quite frustrating - no buttons to press, nor did turning off the car help...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
FWIW, each thing that uses the audio system has its own stored volume setting, so say you're listening to the radio and the nav talks to you to give an instruction...IF you adjust the volume WHILE that is happening, that new volume for that function will be stored and not affect what was going on previously. Same is true for the phone, and may be separate for the SOS channel as well.

Now, why that happened, no idea.
In this case, it appeared that the call sound came from near the steering column - pressing the volume buttons while it was active didn't have any effect...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:20 PM   #6
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouscrab View Post
I was driving my xdrive45e (thankfully) near my house and ran into what seems like a critical issue - the dash flashed with messages for "power supply issue" and "steering control" asking me to stop driving for safety. I happened to be close to my house and could drive back without incident.

I called BMW roadside assistance and I have to say, the experience left a lot to be desired. First of all, the call dropped when I was sharing the details. The tech did call back in a few minutes, but I then used the SOS button in the meantime. I couldn't figure out any other way to talk to roadside assistance (control messages had disappeared). This is really a system from hell - I asked to be transferred to my original tech and the system put me on hold. The crazy part - there was no way for me to kill this service call!! It seems the SOS calls are routed through a separate system which does *not* obey volume or phone controls. Did I mention that the iDrive display was uselessly displaying "call active" with no way to control the call itself?

Is this normal? The call ended on its own after a few minutes. The volume was loud - I had to step out of the car to take a call from BMW roadside assistance and there was no way for the tech to end the SOS call as well.

I will leave the rant about the lack of loaners at the dealer for some other time and the rude tone of the roadside assistance tech for another time.

The SOS feature is something of a Pandora’s box

Once you activate it…you can’t cancel the call specifically so the operator on the other end can ensure you’re ok (or not)

Additionally, the call is actually routed via the vehicle’s own cellular connection…not through you phone via Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 11:27 PM   #7
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post
The SOS feature is something of a Pandora’s box

Once you activate it…you can’t cancel the call specifically so the operator on the other end can ensure you’re ok (or not)

Additionally, the call is actually routed via the vehicle’s own cellular connection…not through you phone via Bluetooth
I agree with it being a "Pandora's box". I was unhappy about the "un-cancellable" nature of the system combined with being put on hold for a few minutes... If it was trying to make sure I was OK, it should first ensure that I am connected to a human before ringing continuously!

In any case, the tow arranged by BMW came and the car is being looked at by the dealer I bought it from. The current suspicion is on one of the 2 water pumps.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:

That sounds awful: sorry you had to experience all that, but happy that you're safe.

Just to put it in context, how many miles did you have on the car when this happened?

I hope your X5 gets fixed and returned to you quickly.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 01:52 AM   #9
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
That sounds awful: sorry you had to experience all that, but happy that you're safe.

Just to put it in context, how many miles did you have on the car when this happened?

I hope your X5 gets fixed and returned to you quickly.
I had around 4000 miles on it and it should be ready for me tomorrow - the dealer was able to find the pump!
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 10:51 PM   #10
callouscrab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had around 4000 miles on it and it should be ready for me tomorrow - the dealer was able to find the pump!
The story continues - turns out a fuse box related to the water pump also needs to be replaced as it was blown. This part is expected next week.
Appreciate 0