10-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #23
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I've had both. Prefer the X6 personally. I can say you don't really lose any space except vertically in the hatch. You'd be surprised how much stuff you can actually cram in there. Before i bought my first X6M space was a concern. The dealer let me take one home for the weekend so I could see if I could cram all my vacation stuff that I would normally take in the X5. Everything fit with a few adjustments. Now I just use a roof box if I need extra space for vacations. The extra cargo in the box wouldn't fit in the X5 anyway. Not a big deal, unless you are moving furniture.... then rent a van.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #24
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
I've had both. Prefer the X6 personally. I can say you don't really lose any space except vertically in the hatch. You'd be surprised how much stuff you can actually cram in there. Before i bought my first X6M space was a concern. The dealer let me take one home for the weekend so I could see if I could cram all my vacation stuff that I would normally take in the X5. Everything fit with a few adjustments. Now I just use a roof box if I need extra space for vacations. The extra cargo in the box wouldn't fit in the X5 anyway. Not a big deal, unless you are moving furniture.... then rent a van.
You’re funny!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #25
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I don't like any of the coupe wannabe SUV's. Besides the rear end of the X6 is just plain ugly. So it's a fail for me.
Couple of dealers near me said they wouldn't ever stock any of the X6 models, but BMW sends them one or two now and then and that they have a real tough time trying to unload them by selling or to trade them with another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #26
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
Anybody done the same? Any regrets? Or loving every minute of it?
I went the opposite direction. I just traded my 2009 X6 x50d for a X5 M50i. I'll never forget the day we walked in on our anniversary to Valencia BMW. We had every intention of trading our 1999 MB S320 for a 740i. When we walked into the show room our jaws dropped. I asked the sales rep "what the heck is that?!?" He said it was the second year production SAV X6. No one never even heard of a SAV at that time. Since the wife and I never had children, what we liked best about the car is that it was a four seater. We could only take another couple and no stinking kids in the back. After the test drive we were sold. The thing looked just as glossy when we bought her with very little issues in almost 13 years. The reason we went with the X5 was a perfect storm of limited inventory, a car that's a little more practical for a couple about to retire in their early fifties, and that we had already owned one. When we were on our way to make the deal with our new X5, I saw that the dealership had a X6 MC in donington grey. Fortunately for my pocket book it was in transit and not on the lot because there's no doubt in my mind that had they had the X6, we would have been driving that instead of our beautiful X5 in Dravit grey. In the end, how can you go wrong with either model…
Dravit on Tartufo! Such a great combo. Not trying to hijack the thread. The TB X6 is nice too, I'm just partial to the X5. Either way, both are great cars, just boils down to personal preference.
jps3b84.00
      10-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #27
jps3b
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
Anybody done the same? Any regrets? Or loving every minute of it?
I went the opposite direction. I just traded my 2009 X6 x50d for a X5 M50i. I'll never forget the day we walked in on our anniversary to Valencia BMW. We had every intention of trading our 1999 MB S320 for a 740i. When we walked into the show room our jaws dropped. I asked the sales rep "what the heck is that?!?" He said it was the second year production SAV X6. No one never even heard of a SAV at that time. Since the wife and I never had children, what we liked best about the car is that it was a four seater. We could only take another couple and no stinking kids in the back. After the test drive we were sold. The thing looked just as glossy when we bought her with very little issues in almost 13 years. The reason we went with the X5 was a perfect storm of limited inventory, a car that's a little more practical for a couple about to retire in their early fifties, and that we had already owned one. When we were on our way to make the deal with our new X5, I saw that the dealership had a X6 MC in donington grey. Fortunately for my pocket book it was in transit and not on the lot because there's no doubt in my mind that had they had the X6, we would have been driving that instead of our beautiful X5 in Dravit grey. In the end, how can you go wrong with either model…
Dravit on Tartufo! Such a great combo. Not trying to hijack the thread. The TB X6 is nice too, I'm just partial to the X5. Either way, both are great cars, just boils down to personal preference.
Thank you. I think if I could only have one, I would take the X5 due to the flexibility and practicality of the options. I saw another member mention the lack of visibility with the X6. I always thought with the cameras and sensors, it wouldn't be an issue. But apparently it still is. When we bought our 2009X6 visibility was a criticism. I always thought if we bought another one the rear view camera would help fix this. But I guess I was wrong
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #28
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I'll admit the X6 has grown on me. Don't own one - I have a MY20 X5 with (nearly) every option available then, but my first impression of the new X6 was "Wait - has that been rear-ended?" Impression has improved since....
Appreciate 1
jps3b84.00
      10-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #29
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Webb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
G05 >G06
Why would you give up the additional space for the same cost?
Because it looks cooler (IMHO), is more unique, and frankly has plenty of space for most all situations.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #30
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The bigger thing on any of the X5/6 vehicles is the tongue weight. I've looked at some various Airstream trailers, and there is a good selection that meet the specs of <551# tongue weight, but by no means all of them. Given that it's prudent to drive a little slower with a big trailer behind you, the X5/6 should handle it fine. Now, if you want to blast by everyone uphill, you may want one of the larger engines!
Appreciate 1
jps3b84.00
      10-26-2021, 10:29 PM   #31
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
I'm not opposed to the concept, and I think the Benz GLE & Cayenne Coupes look great, but the X6 ... while it's an evolution of the OG that started it all, I would say it's gotten worse rather than better.

I wouldn't call the X6 ugly, as much as unnecessarily awkward; as in, if you look at the GLE or Cayenne they simply look like coupe versions of their truck siblings, whereas the X6 looks like designers purposely tried to fuck with the general appearance for the sake of doing it.

It's like that designer who has a great design and then keeps making changes until he no longer remembers what he was trying to accomplish in the first place.

The X6 is the car version of this house:

It's not ugly, it's just not right.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 05:30 AM   #32
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I'm not opposed to the concept, and I think the Benz GLE & Cayenne Coupes look great, but the X6 ... while it's an evolution of the OG that started it all, I would say it's gotten worse rather than better.

I wouldn't call the X6 ugly, as much as unnecessarily awkward; as in, if you look at the GLE or Cayenne they simply look like coupe versions of their truck siblings, whereas the X6 looks like designers purposely tried to fuck with the general appearance for the sake of doing it.

It's like that designer who has a great design and then keeps making changes until he no longer remembers what he was trying to accomplish in the first place.

The X6 is the car version of this house:

It's not ugly, it's just not right.
We know this is ALL subjective and there is no right or wrong answer here.

Some people love the X6, some hate it. Same goes for the X5 and any other car out there.

The Cayenne, in MY opinion, is such a boring and "blah" car.

I respect everyone's comment though.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18179.00
Burnt C6257.50
      10-27-2021, 05:52 AM   #33
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Just curious as to those who have driven equivalent models of both (ie same engine/trim) - is there a difference in how they feel to drive?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:21 AM   #34
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Just curious as to those who have driven equivalent models of both (ie same engine/trim) - is there a difference in how they feel to drive?
Having driven an X5MC and an X6MC back to back on a few occasions (both public roads and tracked), not really.

The only thing that really hits me in the X6 is the change in visibility for the rear-view mirror, but for anyone who's ever had a soft top vert, it's still better.

Performance wise, though, no differences at all to me. Nearly identical amounts of butterflies when launching. 😁

Handling is quite similar as well, though I am slightly curious if the 100 lbs lower weight of the X6 has any meaningful difference in real world performance wet/snowy applications. Nothing as such in my experience.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 06:45 AM   #35
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-M4 View Post
We know this is ALL subjective and there is no right or wrong answer here.

Some people love the X6, some hate it. Same goes for the X5 and any other car out there.

The Cayenne, in MY opinion, is such a boring and "blah" car.

I respect everyone's comment though.
I agree, the longer/harder I look at the Cayenne...it's just meh.

I like looks of the Macan but then remember it's a tarted up Audi.

I do like the GLE but not a fan of the MB interiors and after my C32, I'm never buying another MB.

I really like the G06 but agree that there are some items that can use improvement but overall...if you want/need a BMW truck the X5/X6 are hard to beat. Surprised BMW hasn't released the rumored pickup. That would cause a stir.
Appreciate 1
Rondi143.50
      10-27-2021, 07:23 AM   #36
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

The X6 hate is always amusing to me especially when one guy tells others what their priorities and tastes should be.
The X6 appeals to some of us vs the X5 with not much middle ground on the subject. It does make for some entertaining internet banter.
I would have purchased Escalade #3 if capacity was still a priority.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #37
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Personally I think BMW does the coupe SUV thing better than Mercedes. The GLE has a rounder profile I'm not a fan of.

Appreciate 1
Rondi143.50
      10-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #38
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X6 40i, ‘14 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
Personally I think BMW does the coupe SUV thing better than Mercedes. The GLE has a rounder profile I'm not a fan of.
A tennis friend has a GLE, I have noticed this as well. I perceive the x6 as more agressivo lines, better looking overall.

Last edited by Rondi; 10-27-2021 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Past tense correction
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:37 PM   #39
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I've had too many X5's to count, never an X6 before this one though.

The G06 has so much road presence it is ridiculous - it turns heads everywhere, and I live in a place where every other car is a prestige SUV and a £120k RR is seen so often that no one notices them. That combined with the fact that they are not common at all (because lets face it, the X5 is the 'sensible' choice as its more practical and costs less) makes me love it even more. Its funny because while its a marmite car that some love and some hate, people don't show you their hate in real life, so you just end up hearing the compliments from the people that love it, but I get a lot that. No doubt many still hate it, I just don't hear about it in the real world.

It feels a bit more special to jump in and drive than an X5 for some reason. Not because it drives differently, but it just 'feels' different to be in it. You can certainly feel its a coupe inspiration and I like that. While some complain about the visibility, I have no issues. I like feeling more closed in and I can see around me fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #40
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

It feels a bit more special to jump in and drive than an X5 ... Not because it drives differently, but it just 'feels' different to be in it.
I think this is exactly what BMW was going for: the niche of people who feel this way ... And it's not a small niche or Audi, Benz, and Porsche wouldn't have copied the OG X6.

I've heard a lot of theories on "why is the X6?" and I think it comes down to the simplest one:

The X6 is for people who want the benefits of the SUV size/height, but don't want to feel like they're driving a common SUV.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #41
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
I've heard a lot of theories on "why is the X6?" and I think it comes down to the simplest one:

The X6 is for people who want the benefits of the SUV size/height, but don't want to feel like they're driving a common SUV.
I agree. For me at least, it was exactly this - I've had enough X5's to know which practical features I personally need and which I don't.

I basically need the driver's area to be SUV size/height as I found myself too tall (6'7) for my G30, but didn't need the space behind the driver to be as big as the X5 as everything I need to carry can fit in a standard car boot. And I wanted something that didn't feel like sitting in another X5.

The X6 had what I needed, and sacrificed what I didn't need in order to feel different to an X5 - that was a fair trade for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #42
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I've had too many X5's to count, never an X6 before this one though.

The G06 has so much road presence it is ridiculous - it turns heads everywhere, and I live in a place where every other car is a prestige SUV and a £120k RR is seen so often that no one notices them. That combined with the fact that they are not common at all (because lets face it, the X5 is the 'sensible' choice as its more practical and costs less) makes me love it even more. Its funny because while its a marmite car that some love and some hate, people don't show you their hate in real life, so you just end up hearing the compliments from the people that love it, but I get a lot that. No doubt many still hate it, I just don't hear about it in the real world.

It feels a bit more special to jump in and drive than an X5 for some reason. Not because it drives differently, but it just 'feels' different to be in it. You can certainly feel its a coupe inspiration and I like that. While some complain about the visibility, I have no issues. I like feeling more closed in and I can see around me fine.
Sensible is boring.

I have been driving my x6 for 5 days now, there are no issues with visibility whatsoever. There is window on the back and a mirror that allows the driver, myself, to see all the cars directly behind me. There is only one requirement for the visibility: the driver must not be blind

X6 is a head turner, and all the other competitors copied the design.
      10-27-2021, 10:21 PM   #43
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think this is exactly what BMW was going for: the niche of people who feel this way ... And it's not a small niche or Audi, Benz, and Porsche wouldn't have copied the OG X6.

Wrong here GG, sorry.

X6 is for people who want to drive the coolest, most beautiful, superior aesthetic, outstanding aerodynamics of all SAVs on the roads of the entire world.
      10-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #44
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondi View Post
[/B]

Wrong here GG, sorry.

X6 is for people who want to drive the coolest, most beautiful, superior aesthetic, outstanding aerodynamics of all SAVs on the roads of the entire world.
You're describing Pontiac Aztek owners
Appreciate 1
Rondi143.50