BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Drmroth
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Smile New and need help

Hi. I’ve decided on a mineral white X5 s40i with extended tarftufo and luxury seats. Now what? Do I just call the dealers and ask them to help me with a new build? How do I negotiate? Does it matter if we finance or pay cash (any benefits)? Can I order from someone in another state…

Is anybody having any problems with new builds because of the car part shortages?

I’m new to this … please any help, advice, tips etc is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmroth View Post
Hi. I’ve decided on a mineral white X5 s40i with extended tarftufo and luxury seats. Now what? Do I just call the dealers and ask them to help me with a new build? How do I negotiate? Does it matter if we finance or pay cash (any benefits)? Can I order from someone in another state…

Is anybody having any problems with new builds because of the car part shortages?

Thanks
Ideally... know exactly what you want before you call them. To do that configure a build on the BMWUSA site and save it. You can then give the dealer your build code and they'll be able to retrieve it.

You basically need to call dealers and see where you can get the best deal, which is highly dependent on location if you search the forums here. Some discount a little, some a lot, some don't and some try to charge above MSRP. Also, first thing to ask is if they have available "allocations", which means that they have an available production slot with BMW. Because some will deal with you and if you don't ask at the end will tell you that now you have to wait for them to get an allocation which could be a month out.

Also, if you've never ordered a BMW, go to the PenFed TrueCar buying service. Enter your info and they'll send out emails to dealers in your area before you even know it lol ... then dealers emails you or call. Some times within 5 min. You then deal w/them. Knowing what is a reasonable deal ahead of time helps as well obviously.

Also, you don't need to actually call. In fact I never do until I know the deal I am getting... email works best IME. But that is also probably dependent on location and dealership.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #3
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

Quote:

Thanks

Parts shortages are a real thing. Unfortunately it's not just options here and there. It's affected allocation numbers given to dealers as well. Hence, many dealers want to hold on to them for buyers that don't care about paying a bit more.

That said you can still get discounts. A few of us have contacts like myself. I can't speak for others, but getting you an sDrive allocation is easier for myself because I'm based on South Florida. Sometimes it's less of a hassle to go through a broker (up to $1k fee) or a forum member and have the car shipped.

I think being sDrive your markets are Southern Cali, Florida or AZ. I think the Houston area also gets a good number of sDrive allocations.

Usually the dealer gets some kick back if you take the finance option or they add a number to their step goal. You also get more incentives if you take it (generally).

The market is very wild right now. Get something that makes you happy. sDrive sure maybe 8%, a rare 10% to a loyal customer, but don't be surprised by 0%. I'd say if you can be around 5% that's probably good. It really changes every month, and I'm speaking only for today.

Good Luck and let me know if you need any more help.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
TCBavarian
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M, M2CS, E46 ZHP, E53 X5

Quote:

Thanks

Parts shortages are a real thing. Unfortunately it's not just options here and there. It's affected allocation numbers given to dealers as well. Hence, many dealers want to hold on to them for buyers that don't care about paying a bit more.

That said you can still get discounts. A few of us have contacts like myself. I can't speak for others, but getting you an sDrive allocation is easier for myself because I'm based on South Florida. Sometimes it's less of a hassle to go through a broker (up to $1k fee) or a forum member and have the car shipped.

I think being sDrive your markets are Southern Cali, Florida or AZ. I think the Houston area also gets a good number of sDrive allocations.

Usually the dealer gets some kick back if you take the finance option or they add a number to their step goal. You also get more incentives if you take it (generally).

The market is very wild right now. Get something that makes you happy. sDrive sure maybe 8%, a rare 10% to a loyal customer, but don't be surprised by 0%. I'd say if you can be around 5% that's probably good. It really changes every month, and I'm speaking only for today.

Good Luck and let me know if you need any more help.

edit: in for service and asked my CA. 5% is doable.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

jazzmyn@autopia.com

Here is the broker I used. Customer ordered with a discount. Shoot her a build on bmwusa and see what she can do !
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #6
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
you can also try Next Level Auto Brokers
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 02:53 AM   #7
Drmroth
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
you can also try Next Level Auto Brokers
If the price is the same between dealers, what makes you pick one dealer over another when doing a custom build? Who do I choose? Is there something else I should be looking for in a dealer? Does it make a difference if I use someone local or nationwide, advantage/disadvantage?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:41 AM   #8
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
If the price is the same between dealers, what makes you pick one dealer over another when doing a custom build? Who do I choose? Is there something else I should be looking for in a dealer? Does it make a difference if I use someone local or nationwide, advantage/disadvantage?
Yes, no, & maybe

If you don't pick a local dealer, chances are you'll need to pay for shipping to have the vehicle delivered to you - occasionally dealers can sometimes work around that ("courtesy delivery") but usually not & you have to pay .... so basically that cost becomes part of the deal, as does the hassle.

The way around remote dealer delivery would be if you're able to do Performance Center Delivery in South Carolina - then it doesn't matter who your dealer is as the car will be delivered at the factory ... and it's more/less free (except your travel getting there) and a recommended experience. So if you can do that, do it, even if you order from a local dealer!

There are other reasons, the largest of which are:

(1.) The dealer's - and your salesperson's - experience level with BMWNA processes, ordering, rebates/discounts, etc. You don't want to be dealing with a noob who doesn't know what the PenFed rebate is, or that you can actually order the carbon trim with the sport package even though configurator says you can't or or or, etc.

(2.) The dealer/salesperson's responsiveness. If they're not on it when you email / ask questions and/or take a long time to get back to you, that's a warning flag. The guy I"m using now will return my emails at 10pm & that's worth something to me. He's ON. IT. He turned around order changes almost instantly AND proactively sent me the updated Vehicle Inquires AND instantly agreed to my PDI/delivery requests (no wash, no front plates, no dealership badges, etc). I will give a dealer up to 1% for high levels of service (when comparing dealer pricing). really. I've had some really shitty experiences (coughcoughbmwdavidcoughcough) so a super responsive knowledgeable low friction dealer is worth a lot to me. I'm just not willing to put up with bullshit or work with noobs.

(3.) The dealer/salesperson's financing options. Many times dealers will have other sources of financing than BMWFS and that can be a real benefit. For example if a dealer can get you 1% less on financing, but is charging 1% more, not a bad deal.

And then misc other things like how nice they are, how respectful, any friction in communication, etc.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-28-2021 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0