BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2021, 11:28 PM   #1
highlandjd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Both Key FOBs Recognized as Same Key

I primarily drive the BMW, but we set up a driver profile for my wife so that when she drives it, it'll recognize her and do its thing to change everything.

Both of our driver profiles are set up and we've been using them for almost 6 months but have been hitting a snag with the driver recognition by key FOB.

My profile is connected to the key FOB that I carry and it recognizes me just fine. The problem is that when we take the key FOB that she leaves in her purse to associate with her driver profile, it says that the key FOB is already associated with a driver profile in this vehicle.

I've swapped the keys around trying to program one before the other, but it always ends in the car recognizing both keys as the exact same key. Of note, I went as far as putting one key in the farthest reach of the house so that there could be no way the car would pick up the second key and associate it that way, so it isn't caused by both keys being near/in the car during key FOB driver profile association.

My primary question: is there a way to change one of the key FOBs so that they are viewed as 2 different keys and let both be associated with 2 different driver profiles?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
you should be able to. this is how I set up two separate driver profiles on one MyBMW account in my wife's G30 before I bought my own bimmer and got my own account.

1) in the MyBMW app on your phone, add your vehicle then associate this as the primary driver.
2) on your wife's phone, download the MyBMW app and log in with your credentials. Add the vehicle then associate this as the secondary driver.
3) go into iDrive and make sure where you associate driver recognition with the key fob and make sure you SYNC the driver profile with the MyBMW account.

i don't know what country you're in, but I recall this isn't possible in the EU (I could be wrong).
Appreciate 0