BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
mab21
Rep
Drives: audi q7

Best options other than x5?

So my x5 m50i order keeps getting delayed because I want it fully loaded with every option and the supply chain is not letting that happen. What do people thing are the best cars I should be looking at to replace the x5 if I had to choose a different option? "fully loaded x5 m50i" should give you a sense of the alternatives I am looking for in terms of power, luxury and budget.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

To be honest, I think in this world of chip shortages, you'll probably run into the same issue with most options that have your criteria of power and luxury as they tend to be high tech cars.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Plenty of Range Rover Sports and Cayennes.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
To be honest, I think in this world of chip shortages, you'll probably run into the same issue with most options that have your criteria of power and luxury as they tend to be high tech cars.
This ^^

Your best option but probably impossible to find is look for a 2020 or early build 2021 X5 M50i that was either a dealer used car (good luck there) or someone wanted to trade-up to a X5M or X7 (also good luck there too).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

I think that if you're looking for anything fully loaded, you're either waiting for your car with Company A or you're waiting for another car with Company B.

I know the wait sucks but I think it's going to be the same no matter who you order from.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

You cant get a fully or even partially loaded luxury vehicle from any one now. Its debatable if even standard luxury options are even coming equipped.
Model year 2020 is the GOAT in every luxury brand.
Appreciate 4
      10-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

someone said less options are being cut on Porsche models given that they are much more low volume than BMW. Might be worth a look over there. Although I'm sure you'd be expected to pay MSRP and the wait time to actually get the vehicle will be long.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Depends on how much you want to spend. I got a little impatient waiting for my order and looked into all the other makes and didn't like how much more expensive it was for a similarly equipped SUV. If price is no issue, I would definitely look into Cayenne but as others have mentioned, other makes will have similar delay issues
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
You cant get a fully or even partially loaded luxury vehicle from any one now. Its debatable if even standard luxury options are even coming equipped.
Lol the couldn't agree more on the GOAT year
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

While i get your blight of likely not being able to check off every conceivable feature that was available on the X5...i think the question you have to ask yourself is really what do you want?

Was every feature a must have...or did you just want to have the maximized version of any mid-sized SUV...regardless of the underlying features at play?

IMO, a fully decked out MB GLE vs X5 vs Cayenne vs SQ5 vs RR Sport...they're all different creatures that while they all have overlapping features...they each bring distinctive flavors to the game (franky...i can't stand the GLE's single screen dashboard that looks like a ginormous iPad...which is where BMW seems to be headed). Heck...check every box on the porsche and you might need to mortgage the house to afford that thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:10 PM   #11
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab21 View Post
So my x5 m50i order keeps getting delayed because I want it fully loaded with every option and the supply chain is not letting that happen. What do people thing are the best cars I should be looking at to replace the x5 if I had to choose a different option? "fully loaded x5 m50i" should give you a sense of the alternatives I am looking for in terms of power, luxury and budget.
What options are problematic?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #12
jps3b
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

When I first went shopping for our new X5, there was a Porsche, MB, and Audi dealer within walking distance. It didn't matter where you went. There was zero inventory
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #13
mab21
Rep
Drives: audi q7

I am 99% sure I will just wait for this because I love the car, I was really just wondering if you COULD NOT get this car, what is the most popular #2 option for this forum. And don't ask me smart questions like which options aren't that important to me...I am way beyond asking myself rational questions about this car.
Appreciate 2
drurka21.00
1230vani648.50
      10-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #14
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
The rumor mill says that the B&W will be back in January (apparently per BMWNA Individual) so, if it were me, given what I saw in September when I placed my order, I'd plan on ordering a loaded X5M in early to mid-jan assuming the B&W reappears (or BMW Individual says they can get it for you).

Other than the B&W & wireless charging pad, AFAIK, X5Ms aren't missing any options, so that'd be my plan A.

Plan B could be a higher spec'd Cayenne or Taycan Cross but those will be a good $20k above the X5m price (though arguable retain that value better, so higher up front, but higher resale)

As an FYI, i've also been getting pings from dealers with X5Ms freshly delivered (or allocations for the Black Vermillion!) and they have all the options, but they're asking MSRP or +ADM for them, so my guess is prices will be better in Jan.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:38 PM   #15
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Yep I'm right there with you. Can't find anything. I'm struggling.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #16
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Yep ^^^this
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:53 PM   #17
sebseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
The rumor mill says that the B&W will be back in January (apparently per BMWNA Individual) so, if it were me, given what I saw in September when I placed my order, I'd plan on ordering a loaded X5M in early to mid-jan assuming the B&W reappears (or BMW Individual says they can get it for you).

Other than the B&W & wireless charging pad, AFAIK, X5Ms aren't missing any options, so that'd be my plan A.

Plan B could be a higher spec'd Cayenne or Taycan Cross but those will be a good $20k above the X5m price (though arguable retain that value better, so higher up front, but higher resale)

As an FYI, i've also been getting pings from dealers with X5Ms freshly delivered (or allocations for the Black Vermillion!) and they have all the options, but they're asking MSRP or +ADM for them, so my guess is prices will be better in Jan.
I've spent numerous times staring and playing with Porsche configurator and I just can't get it below $140,000. Adding $14,000 in sales tax comes to $154,000. I think that's easily $50k above an M50i.

I also thought the Cross version was $2K above the sedan right?

Last edited by sebseb; 10-28-2021 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
3Wagon129.00
      10-28-2021, 12:32 AM   #18
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
someone said less options are being cut on Porsche models given that they are much more low volume than BMW. Might be worth a look over there. Although I'm sure you'd be expected to pay MSRP and the wait time to actually get the vehicle will be long.
According to rennlist, the Porsche Cayenne production is hit, as well as things taking way way longer than expected. They are seeing Q2 dates already. In some cases, mostly complete vehicles are being shipped to dealers now with the expectation that parts will be added later before they can deliver them.

It's a shit show with Cayennes too - or I would have likely ordered one. See attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:34 AM   #19
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb View Post
I've spent numerous times staring and playing with Porsche configurator and I just can't get it below $140,000. Adding $14,000 in sales tax comes to $154,000. I think that's easily $50k above an M50i.

I also thought the Cross version was $2K above the sedan right?
A Cayenne S spec'd similarly to even the m50i's in production now w/ driver assistance, etc is so much more than the M50i that I might as well consider stepping up to the X5M. Posches are just option for option more.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:46 AM   #20
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
A Cayenne S spec'd similarly to even the m50i's in production now w/ driver assistance, etc is so much more than the M50i that I might as well consider stepping up to the X5M. Posches are just option for option more.
I'm doing the X5M w/o comp both because I don't want anything in the comp package (17hp+cosmetics for$9k? ), and the X5M is only ~10k more than a M50i (if you don't get the B&W, etc) ... and if you don't use BMWFS you get -$3250 PenFed on the X5M you can't get on the X5MC.

If short, for me, I didn't see a reason NOT to get an X5M over the M50i, plus it had the benefit of not being decontented ... and has the extra bracing, suspension, engine upgrades (not that they matter for me really), engine+transmission mounts, and extra tuning for the trans/engine/diff. So basically, for the extra $10k, you get all the X5M benefits, all of the options that've been removed from other models, and you can still use PenFed.

Thus why, for me, the X5M non-comp would be plan A ... cause it *is* my plan A! But it's not here yet and I"m 1/2 expecting my dealer to change the deal when it arrives soooo... we'll see ...

As for Porsche, yeah, it's pay-to-play ... I spreadsheeted out the 3,4,5 year resale and, before this past 6 months, you do get your money back (not to say you don't any longer, just that the market is bonkers so it's all working out now)... said differently if you look at it more as "what will 3 years of use cost" versus "what will the upfront price be" you can make the case Porsche is the better deal. BUT, they also come with the maintenance factor that BMW makes easier ... thus, for me, due to availability and greater cost / hassle factor with Porsche, I went BMW.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-28-2021 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13433.00
      10-28-2021, 12:56 AM   #21
sebseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
And the option prices don't make sense. $300 to change the color of "Taycan" logo to glossy black...really? I think the Porsche InnoDrive is like $3600.

I was briefly considering the new Macan MY22 with its updated interior but, even then it soon surpassed the $80k price point and it's not even as big as the X5. The Taycan does have many impressive features like it's 800V architecture that allows it to charge faster (Unlike the stone age charger in the 45e) and I love the curved display too.

I'm slowly starting to also consider the Rivian SUV. Similar cost to an X5 45e. Comes with Meridian Speakers, quad motor and more. Rumor is they want to make the "auto pilot" feature a subscription...
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
thorHAM22.50
parkstr8562.00
Jeff661271.00
1230vani648.50
      10-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #22
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb View Post
I'm slowly starting to also consider the Rivian SUV. Similar cost to an X5 45e. Comes with Meridian Speakers, quad motor and more. Rumor is they want to make the "auto pilot" feature a subscription...
R1T reviews are very positive so R1S will potentially be a great SUV but if you browse through the Rivian forums, your realistic delivery date will be 2023. Not to mention some potential issues Teslas had when they were ramping production like service not keeping up with the growing number of cars, parts shortage for repairs, and overall quality control issues in manufacturing.