BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2023, 10:19 PM   #1
karanvir24
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x5m 2021

2021 X5m comp muffler delete?

Hey, I just got a 2021 X5M COMP, i used to have a 2018 C63 and I cut the mufflers and it sounded amazing.

What are some options for making this beast sound deeper and louder?
Muffler Cut? or full straight pipe?

thank you guys
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 10:45 PM   #2
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 911, F95 X5M Competition

Going to go out on a limb here and just say you are going to prob receive some hate for suggesting to cut the mufflers off a 100+K vehicle. Considering some on here have spent in access of 10K for an Akra system with mufflers, TITANIUM mufflers..lol. Anyway, consider these options instead.

Oh boy.

1. Tuning this thing is next to impossible without sending DME to femto oversees. There are other claims out there that state they can activate the crackles by turning it on in the software. This has proven to work for some but cause idrive malfunctions for most.

2. The stock exhaust on the X5M and X5MC is quiet....period. The cheapest and fastest way to wake it up is removing the secondary catalytic converters. This will cause zero CEL's and is relatively easy to do. The next step to make even louder is replacing the catback or chopping into the factory system and installing an axleback. Depends if you want to keep the factory resonators or not. Lastly, if you want the most sound out of your beast. Primary Catalytic converter removal. You will need a CAN-BUS delete to rid yourself of the CEL. LEIB Engineering or G-Power make this module that you wire in. I have this on mine and it has worked with no issues. No CEL.

3. FI Exhaust, Dinan, Eismann, g-power, etc all make great SS exhausts. However, if you have 10K to drop on an Akra, you do you. There are plenty on here that had the coin to have that piece of jewelry. But no, it is absolutely not required to make your X5M sound alive. A great resource is Ben from RGSport. He can help you further.
Appreciate 3
      06-21-2023, 10:46 PM   #3
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

The easy, non-invasive way to have more power is installing the RaceChip GTS Black. This will give you a significant bump in power. Nobody currently makes an intake that really sounds special. However, if you want more jewelry to go with the Akra exhaust, get the Dinan intake. Gorgeous carbon fiber design that sets your engine baby's appearance on fire. However, we are all waiting on the Eventuri intake. It is near production, starting sometime in July. Hope this helps ya.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      07-26-2023, 09:17 AM   #4
akoni210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBeemed View Post
Going to go out on a limb here and just say you are going to prob receive some hate for suggesting to cut the mufflers off a 100+K vehicle. Considering some on here have spent in access of 10K for an Akra system with mufflers, TITANIUM mufflers..lol. Anyway, consider these options instead.

Oh boy.

1. Tuning this thing is next to impossible without sending DME to femto oversees. There are other claims out there that state they can activate the crackles by turning it on in the software. This has proven to work for some but cause idrive malfunctions for most.

2. The stock exhaust on the X5M and X5MC is quiet....period. The cheapest and fastest way to wake it up is removing the secondary catalytic converters. This will cause zero CEL's and is relatively easy to do. The next step to make even louder is replacing the catback or chopping into the factory system and installing an axleback. Depends if you want to keep the factory resonators or not. Lastly, if you want the most sound out of your beast. Primary Catalytic converter removal. You will need a CAN-BUS delete to rid yourself of the CEL. LEIB Engineering or G-Power make this module that you wire in. I have this on mine and it has worked with no issues. No CEL.

3. FI Exhaust, Dinan, Eismann, g-power, etc all make great SS exhausts. However, if you have 10K to drop on an Akra, you do you. There are plenty on here that had the coin to have that piece of jewelry. But no, it is absolutely not required to make your X5M sound alive. A great resource is Ben from RGSport. He can help you further.
if you get the axel back plus the high flow X pipe middle section, does throw a CEL? this goes up to the primary catalytic converters, correct?

We should have a primary o2 and secondary o2... the primary would be on the down pipe, closet to the turbo...then the 2nd being at the CATS...so my assumption is the middle section would delete those causing the CEL

Which one of these do you have? LEIB Engineering or G-Power make this module?
Appreciate 1
GotBeemed415.50
      07-26-2023, 08:09 PM   #5
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

if you get the axel back plus the high flow X pipe middle section, does throw a CEL? this goes up to the primary catalytic converters, correct?

NO. Getting any "cat-back exhaust" WILL NOT THROW ANY FORM OF CEL WHATSOEVER. YOU DO NOT ANY FORM OF CAN-BUS MODULE. SIMPLY REMOVE STOCK EXHAUST AND REPLACE.

We should have a primary o2 and secondary o2... the primary would be on the down pipe, closet to the turbo...then the 2nd being at the CATS...so my assumption is the middle section would delete those causing the CEL

THERE IS A 02 SENSOR BEFORE AND AFTER THE PRIMARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER, WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE FIRST PORTION OF THE DOWNPIPE. THERE IS NOTHING MONITORING THE EXHAUST GAS AFTER THE SECONDARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER WHICH IS THE SECOND PART OF THE DOWNPIPE. THAT IS WHY YOU CAN ALSO ELIMINATE THE SECONDARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER WITHOUT A CAN-BUS MODULE.

OK NOW THAT YOU KNOW THAT. UNDERSTAND THAT AFTER INSTALLING YOUR NEW SHINY CAT-BACK EXHAUST AND ELIMINATING THE SECONDARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER, THERE IS STILL THE PRIMARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER DIRECTLY AFTER THE TURBO. IF YOU REMOVE THIS, THE CAR WILL DETECT THE VEHICLE'S CATALYTIC CONVERTER IS NOT OPERATING AS IT SHOULD AND WILL THROW A HARMLESS CEL TO LET YOU KNOW. THE WAY YOU TRULY ELIMINATE THIS CEL IS BY EITHER SENDING THE DME OVERSEAS TO BE CUSTOM TUNED OR A CAN BUS MODULE. USING ANYTHING ELSE IS A CRAP SHOOT.

YOU CAN RUN EITHER THE LEIB OR THE GPOWER, BOTH WORK WITHOUT ISSUE.

https://www.leib-engineering.de/leib...bmw-x5m-f95-de
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2023, 06:49 AM   #6
akoni210
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

GotBeemed

Thank you for clarifying that. I believe I understand... if you were to replace the down pipes, then you would have your CEL.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/e...arts/D660-0092

Guess what I am just trying to find out is, would this cause a CEL?
Appreciate 1
GotBeemed415.50
      07-27-2023, 10:48 AM   #7
arlind94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoni210 View Post
GotBeemed

Thank you for clarifying that. I believe I understand... if you were to replace the down pipes, then you would have your CEL.

I have the dinan midpipe installed along with a secondary cat delete. No CEL. Will be installing the dahler valve control unit next.
Appreciate 1
GotBeemed415.50
      07-29-2023, 07:32 PM   #8
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoni210 View Post
GotBeemed

https://www.rgsportshop.com/DINAN-HI...0092?limit=100

THIS WILL NOT CREATE A CEL IF INSTALLED BY ITSELF OR WITH REMOVING THE SECONDARY CATALYTIC CONVERTERS AND REPLACING THAT PORTION OF THE DOWNPIPE WITH THIS .....

https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...2032&limit=100

THIS IS WHAT YOU REPLACE WHEN YOU REMOVE THE PORTION OF THE DOWNPIPE THAT HOUSES THE SECONDARY CATALYTIC CONVERTERS.

BELOW IS THE LINK TO THE OTHER PORTION/SECTION OF THE DOWNPIPE THAT REPLACES THE PRIMARY CATALYTIC CONVERTERS. NOTICE THE 02 BUNGS ON THE PIPE. ON THE STOCK PIPE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER WOULD BE LOCATED IN BETWEEN THEM. HENCE THE COMPUTER TAKING A SAMPLE OF THE GAS BEFORE AND AFTER. SINCE THAT HAS BEEN REMOVED, THIS IS WHAT THROWS THE CEL. SO WITHOUT THE CAN BUS DELETE, THIS WILL THROWE THE CEL LIGHT. EVEN IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS LEFT IN PLACE EVEN.

https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...2031&limit=100
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 03:44 AM   #9
MaximK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10- Bimmer Works Car

Quote:

NO. Getting any "cat-back exhaust" WILL NOT THROW ANY FORM OF CEL WHATSOEVER. YOU DO NOT ANY FORM OF CAN-BUS MODULE. SIMPLY REMOVE STOCK EXHAUST AND REPLACE.

THERE IS A 02 SENSOR BEFORE AND AFTER THE PRIMARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER, WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE FIRST PORTION OF THE DOWNPIPE. THERE IS NOTHING MONITORING THE EXHAUST GAS AFTER THE SECONDARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER WHICH IS THE SECOND PART OF THE DOWNPIPE. THAT IS WHY YOU CAN ALSO ELIMINATE THE SECONDARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER WITHOUT A CAN-BUS MODULE.

OK NOW THAT YOU KNOW THAT. UNDERSTAND THAT AFTER INSTALLING YOUR NEW SHINY CAT-BACK EXHAUST AND ELIMINATING THE SECONDARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER, THERE IS STILL THE PRIMARY CATALYTIC CONVERTER DIRECTLY AFTER THE TURBO. IF YOU REMOVE THIS, THE CAR WILL DETECT THE VEHICLE'S CATALYTIC CONVERTER IS NOT OPERATING AS IT SHOULD AND WILL THROW A HARMLESS CEL TO LET YOU KNOW. THE WAY YOU TRULY ELIMINATE THIS CEL IS BY EITHER SENDING THE DME OVERSEAS TO BE CUSTOM TUNED OR A CAN BUS MODULE. USING ANYTHING ELSE IS A CRAP SHOOT.

YOU CAN RUN EITHER THE LEIB OR THE GPOWER, BOTH WORK WITHOUT ISSUE.

https://www.leib-engineering.de/leib...bmw-x5m-f95-de
i prefer disable it without adding 3rd party modules , even no need send the ECU's overseeas
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 12:39 PM   #10
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximK View Post
i prefer disable it without adding 3rd party modules , even no need send the ECU's overseeas
No offense, however, your product/services have not been the most reliable from what I have read on here, and also friends that have hired you. In case of failure, you have refunded their money which is commendable and I hope you continue to improve your services.

Personally, I would gladly install/remove an additional product that is physically tangible to the system by my own hand. Of course, I would like everything to be remotely tunable and customizable, but alas I do not have high hopes that Fempto is going to release the capability because want to control the market.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 03:30 PM   #11
MaximK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10- Bimmer Works Car

Quote:
No offense, however, your product/services have not been the most reliable from what I have read on here, and also friends that have hired you. In case of failure, you have refunded their money which is commendable and I hope you continue to improve your services.

Personally, I would gladly install/remove an additional product that is physically tangible to the system by my own hand. Of course, I would like everything to be remotely tunable and customizable, but alas I do not have high hopes that Fempto is going to release the capability because want to control the market.
Ass i mentioned if car fabrication date is between 2020-2021 has False DTC code display (F95/F96) all other ones after 2021 no issues feel free ask other members
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #12
Cobra_X5MC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F, 2022 X5M Comp

just do restart catless primary and secondary downpipes. i have it on mine and its a BEAST! lol
Marina Bay Blue/Silverstone, Full Car PPF & Ceramic Coating, Exoshield WPF, Forged Vossen EVO 5 in Bronzino, Full RW Carbon Fiber Kit, Carbon Seat Backs, M Performance Carbon Tips, Redstar Primary & Secondary Catless Downpipes, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Stage 1 Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #13
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Will the car still pass emissions after removing the second cat?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-27-2023, 11:19 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Will the car still pass emissions after removing the second cat?
That depending on your state emission requirement.
AFAIK, most states are fine with it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0