BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #45
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post

Note: GIA means jack shiet as they are forged very very easily. After purchasing your diamond, go to a REAL INDEPENDENT jewelry appraiser. This appraiser should have all the necessary certifications (GG, GMJ, AGA, RMV, etc.). Once you have an official appraisal, get it insured.
This is wrong. How do you forge a GIA document? You can forge a US Passport, birth/death certificate, doesn't mean anyone will accept it (there is a shortage of the needed paper in CA).

Also, the appraisal is jacked. Now why would that happen. Hmmm.

Let's say you paid $25,000 for the ring, full on discount. Every appraiser under the sun will appraise it for $40,000. You go to do the rider and lo and behold, your insurance co. insures you for $40,000.

You lose the ring? They will replace it, according to the GIA report, costing them around 9 or 10k. The 40k figure jacks up the premium well beyond what the ring is even worth at full retail (31k).

It's all good though we all have an opinion
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #46
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
This is wrong. How do you forge a GIA document? You can forge a US Passport, birth/death certificate, doesn't mean anyone will accept it (there is a shortage of the needed paper in CA).

Also, the appraisal is jacked. Now why would that happen. Hmmm.

Let's say you paid $25,000 for the ring, full on discount. Every appraiser under the sun will appraise it for $40,000. You go to do the rider and lo and behold, your insurance co. insures you for $40,000.

You lose the ring? They will replace it, according to the GIA report, costing them around 9 or 10k. The 40k figure jacks up the premium well beyond what the ring is even worth at full retail (31k).

It's all good though we all have an opinion
I should've worded it correctly. The GIA report can sometimes not be accurate to the associated diamond (even if both the stone/document have the same number). If there are shady dealings, the documents can be tampered with and someone inexperienced with purchasing the diamond can be duped. It's a rare occurrence, and like you said, many documents can be forged. I guess buyer beware... ask me how I know.

And again, it depends where you get an appraisal. If a person were to purchase a diamond and get an appraisal at any jewelry store (or the one they bought it from), then yes, jacked. They hand out generic certificates printed from Staples. They do not mean anything. If you do get your appraisal from a proper gemologist with all of the right certs/credentials (as I had mentioned earlier), the insurer will go by the appraiser's numbers and not the GIA report it comes with. Of course, due to "market" fluctuations, an appraisal should be done every three years. Also, I wouldn't go through an jewelry insurance company like Jewelers Mutual. Their policy is not that great and does what you describe above (they will cover the cost of getting you the exact same diamond and pay the jeweler), even if the selling price is less than the appraisal. A separate valuable item's rider to your home/renter's insurance should cover the entire appraisal cost at a much cheaper price compared to Jewelers Mutual.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper83 View Post
Seems like all the local places (Kenosha & Milwaukee, WI) don't have what I'm looking for in the store. Too yellow, not a great cut, etc.

The following would be minimum requirements on a GIA rating scale:

Size: .90 ct
Color: F
Cut: Excellent (ideal)
Clarity: SI1

I know there is a lot more that goes into diamonds than the specs, you really need to see it and there are other categories like scintillation to think about. I'm really looking to see if anyone has recommendations for a quality source that offers good pricing.

Thanks.
In all honesty, in my experience, I call bullshit on almost all of that. Women know fuck all about diamonds except how big they are. Yeah don't go super cheap with visible yellow but so long as the colour is good, just buy the biggest one you can afford, they all dull anyway after a few weeks unless you polishing the dang thing.

I bought the mres an outstanding diamond at a touch under one carat for our engagement and honestly, all her friends went with a much larger lower quality diamond, the girls cannot tell the difference.

Think about it, how many women do you know that still watch SD and only watch HD if you force them??

See .. .that's my point.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #48
Stage1
Curiosity Killed the Cat
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [8.00]
2016 Cayman GT4  [0.00]
2016 Wrangler  [0.00]
I bought my fiance's diamond from Blue Nile. I was very happy with the stop, the setting was not up to par for me and has already been sent back once. But their sig ideal diamonds are awesome. Details are: 1.04carat, H, vs1. Also look at the table and depth. A lot of larger stones (carat-wise) can hold their weight in the bottom. The stone I got appears much larger than it really is due to a big table

I'M BACK - 2016 M4 GTS
I'M BACK AGAIN - 2021 M4 COMP FPB
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #49
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Jamesallen and enchanteddiamonds are where I'm shopping - both offer photos, videos, hearts & arrows etc. I recently read an article which shopped the same exact diamonds on those sites and blue Nile and blue Nile was the most expensive of the three without the availability of imagery.
Appreciate 0