08-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #45
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Does the lease on one of those include leasing the charging station for your house???
I actually have a charging station at work I would use. 4 people in my office drive a Tesla. So #freeenergy

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #46
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

...I'll just leave this here...670 miles on a single tank of fuel
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #47
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Predicted.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #48
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
to go from crude to pump gas requires refining.

gas companies have been clamping down on refining output to keep prices high.

for example, i read sunoco recently shut down a refinery (during the high driving summer season) for "unspecified repairs".

so simple supply/demand.

and yes, we are getting bent over. oil companies/execs making record profits. and they still get subsidies / tax break. f-ing bullshit.
Most oil companies are not engaged in refining operations.
      08-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #49
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
to go from crude to pump gas requires refining.

gas companies have been clamping down on refining output to keep prices high.

for example, i read sunoco recently shut down a refinery (during the high driving summer season) for "unspecified repairs".

so simple supply/demand.

and yes, we are getting bent over. oil companies/execs making record profits. and they still get subsidies / tax break. f-ing bullshit.
This statement is completely false....oil companies are
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #50
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
This statement is completely false....oil companies are
...actually...most oil companies are shell companies that have subsidiary companies exclusive for refinery, others for R&D, etc...
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #51
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
...actually...most oil companies are shell companies that have subsidiary companies exclusive for refinery, others for R&D, etc...
Not true, there are more than 6,000 producers in the US. The majors engage in refining operations but most of the oil and gas (natural gas) companies do not. They find, extract/produce the raw product and sell it to a transporter and/or midstreamer or refiner.

Exxon, Shell, BP, Marathon, a few others all engage in refining ops but the majority of companies in the E&P business do not.
      08-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #52
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Not true, there are more than 6,000 producers in the US. The majors engage in refining operations but most of the oil and gas (natural gas) companies do not. They find, extract/produce the raw product and sell it to a transporter and/or midstreamer or refiner.

Exxon, Shell, BP, Marathon, a few others all engage in refining ops but the majority of companies in the E&P business do not.
Let me clarify my comment - the largest producers of oil in the world maintain a corporate structure of the nature I specified.

While the industry of oil/gas production is highly fragmented in sheer number of companies - the actual volume of production is controlled by a few...

Source: First Research Industry analysis, NAICS Code 21111
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #53
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Gas prices moderating here already after a huge first-day spike. Gas here went from $2.33/gal to $2.83 in one morning. Now it's back down to $2.69/gal. On the one hand I'm glad we're still well below last year's prices. One the other it burns me that it cost $7 more to tank up at lunch than it did at breakfast. That $7 could be better spent on a six pack.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #54
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Let me clarify my comment - the largest producers of oil in the world maintain a corporate structure of the nature I specified.

While the industry of oil/gas production is highly fragmented in sheer number of companies - the actual volume of production is controlled by a few...

Source: First Research Industry analysis, NAICS Code 21111
Ah, that's very true. But lumping in "oil" companies as being in on some scheme is not correct. The vast majority of these companies....thousands of companies literally right now are struggling mightily because they lack the integrated structure you mentioned.

Also Sunoco has a very small E&P footprint if any now, their refinery outage might boost their cash flow or it might not, you'd have to look at the rest of their capacity and utilization which I do not know off the top of my head.

Gas prices here are higher than they should be but I suspect that will begin changing in Sept or Oct after refiners switch to winter blends.
      08-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #55
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Ah, that's very true. But lumping in "oil" companies as being in on some scheme is not correct. The vast majority of these companies....thousands of companies literally right now are struggling mightily because they lack the integrated structure you mentioned.

Also Sunoco has a very small E&P footprint if any now, their refinery outage might boost their cash flow or it might not, you'd have to look at the rest of their capacity and utilization which I do not know off the top of my head.

Gas prices here are higher than they should be but I suspect that will begin changing in Sept or Oct after refiners switch to winter blends.
due to the highly fragmented issues of large # producers....not likely to fall quick enough however. Plus as others have mentioned - a refinery can have 'routine' maintenance when supply's are too large...
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #56
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Hmm I have x5d with jbd and make around 300/525. We also have a new sportwagen tdi but haven't tuned it yet.
This is a pic of the DPF off the Treg...imagine trying to run a marathon while breathing through a straw...
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #57
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
Jaw drops.......... I'd go drive around just to burn a tank for fun! Haha. I keep track of my fuel, and I spent a little over $3100 in the past 100 days, that's just sad. Since I shorted oil, I think that paid for the fuel though. So there is some light.
Frankly, even though I'm guilty of making gasoline one of my favorite "whipping boys," I really don't know why. It's entirely illogical.

Consider this:
  • 2012 avg. price/gallon: $3.62
  • 2013 avg. price/gallon: $3.51
  • 2014 avg. price/gallon: $3.36
Source: http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...es-since-1990/
Assuming 1200 miles of driving per month at 18 miles per gallon, that amounts to 66.67 gallons of gas used each month or expenditures of:
  • 2012 -- $241.35/month
  • 2013 -- $234.01/month
  • 2014 -- $224.01/month
That means in 2012 one would have spent $17.34 more per month on gas, or ~$208 for the year.

Now far be it from me to decide how much "hurt" or "boon" to one's budget be rising and falling gas prices. But in a BMW forum? Come on people. It's not as though money consciousness is a critical factor in our car buying decision making process, no matter that it may play some minor role. There are vehicles that are both more and less pricey to drive than are BMWs, but BMWs are not low cost cars to buy, operate or maintain. And they are far from the most frugal means of transportation one can employ.

I can relate intellectually to the impoverished mothers of my mentorees when they sigh in relief over the added $17/month. Money's already "too tight to mention" for them, and $17/month actually matters. I dare ask, however, if $17/month matters, was a BMW the best choice one could have made when selecting a car?

So what really are we griping about here? Surely the actual price of gas cannot be it?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-24-2015 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #58
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Frankly, even though I'm guilty of making gasoline one of my favorite "whipping boys," I really don't know why. It's entirely illogical.

Consider this:
Assuming 1200 miles of driving per month at 18 miles per gallon, that amounts to 66.67 gallons of gas used each month or expenditures of:
  • 2012 -- $241.35/month
  • 2013 -- $234.01/month
  • 2014 -- $224.01/month
That means in 2012 one would have spent $17.34 more per month on gas, or ~$208 for the year.

Now far be it from me to decide how much "hurt" or "boon" to one's budget be rising and falling gas prices. But in a BMW forum? Come on people. It's not as though money consciousness is a critical factor in our car buying decision making process, no matter that it may play some minor role. There are vehicles that are both more and less pricey to drive than are BMWs, but BMWs are not low cost cars to buy, operate or maintain. And they are far from the most frugal means of transportation one can employ.

I can relate intellectually to the impoverished mothers of my mentorees when they sigh in relief over the added $17/month. Money's already "too tight to mention" for them, and $17/month actually matters. I dare ask, however, if $17/month matters, was a BMW the best choice one could have made when selecting a car?

So what really are we griping about here? Surely the actual price of gas cannot be it?

All the best.

Your logical display of facts has no place on the internet! How am I supposed to stay mad at oil companies with all this reasonable information! lol

Good points for sure.
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #59
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

Consider this:
  • 2012 -- $241.35/month
  • 2013 -- $234.01/month
  • 2014 -- $224.01/month

All the best.
If the price of milk or coffee tripled tomorrow it wouldn't make a bit of difference to anyone's budget here but the reason for this price increase still might irritate many. Odd that only price increases that realistically affect your budget matter to you.

Based on the above, BMW should double the selling prices on all parts under $100. Won't make any difference to the people buying their cars.

Last edited by David70; 08-24-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #60
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canukgtp View Post
Your logical display of facts has no place on the internet! How am I supposed to stay mad at oil companies with all this reasonable information! lol

Good points for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
If the price of milk or coffee tripled tomorrow it wouldn't make a bit of difference to anyone's budget here but the reason for this price increase still might irritate many. Odd that only price increases that realistically affect your budget matter to you.
Say what?

I'm not sure what aspect of your final sentence reflects the thrust of its intended meaning:
  • Is it that you're surprised that the "only price increases that realistically affect [one's] budget...matter?"
  • Is it that you believe that price increases that have little to no "realistic" impact on a person/most people should nonetheless matter to that person or to people in general?
  • Is it that you believe I care only about price increases if and only if they have a "realistic" impact on my budget?
All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0