BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Is lawyering any different that medicine, engineering or accountancy? There are doctors who have not passed their medical board exams. There are accountants who are not CPAs or CMAs. There are engineers who are not P.E.s. In the legal profession, is it any different? Can one not appoint whomever one wants, regardless of their having passed the state bar or not, to represent them in court?

Off Topic:
It seems to me that if one can act as one's own attorney, one can also designate some other "fool" to do so as well.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
bd5400
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Is lawyering any different that medicine, engineering or accountancy? There are doctors who have not passed their medical board exams. There are accountants who are not CPAs or CMAs. There are engineers who are not P.E.s. In the legal profession, is it any different? Can one not appoint whomever one wants, regardless of their having passed the state bar or not, to represent them in court?

Off Topic:
It seems to me that if one can act as one's own attorney, one can also designate some other "fool" to do so as well.

All the best.
No, you cannot appoint whoever you want, regardless of their having passed the state bar. Passing the bar gives you permission to appear before the court. If you show up in court and you are not admitted to the bar, the court will not allow you to represent someone.

Generally, the only way to be admitted to the bar (and thus be a licensed attorney) is to hold a J.D. and to have passed a bar exam. There are a few exceptions. In Wisconsin, if you go to one of their two law schools, you do not need to sit for a bar exam and are automatically admitted upon graduation. This is because they build Wisconsin law directly into the curriculum at the two schools. Additionally, there are exceptions for being admitted into some states if you are already a practicing attorney. Experienced attorneys can often be admitted without a bar exam but they must have sat for one previously (ruling out Wisconsin attorneys who were auto-admitted) and they usually must demonstrate some level of advanced work history.

Then of course there are some reciprocal states as well as the UBE, which allows you to sit for a single exam and transfer your score to a handful of states so long as it is high enough. That's really handy for new graduates who are open about where they want to practice.

You don't have to be a licensed attorney to work in the legal field however. While most are licensed, in-house counsel and some legal HR roles do not necessarily require you to be admitted to the bar (or at the very least, they want you to be admitted to a bar, but not necessarily the state you are in). If you aren't going to ever appear before a court, or serve clients, then you do not need to be admitted. It is just a good idea to maintain your licensed if you plan to stay in the legal field.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #25
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd5400 View Post
No, you cannot appoint whoever you want, regardless of their having passed the state bar. Passing the bar gives you permission to appear before the court. If you show up in court and you are not admitted to the bar, the court will not allow you to represent someone.

Generally, the only way to be admitted to the bar (and thus be a licensed attorney) is to hold a J.D. and to have passed a bar exam. ....[and following which has been deleted for space]
TY. I didn't know that. So it's similar in some ways to other professions and different in other ways. TY for the explanation.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #26
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Bar or no bar.......I refer to all of them as douchebags

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My dad has both a JD and passed the bar in CALIFORNIA. I also have a friend who has only passed the bar, no JD, in CALFORNIA. They can both represent me in court, and can call themselves either an attorney at law, or a lawyer, in CALIFORNIA
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #28
bd5400
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My dad has both a JD and passed the bar in CALIFORNIA. I also have a friend who has only passed the bar, no JD, in CALFORNIA. They can both represent me in court, and can call themselves either an attorney at law, or a lawyer, in CALIFORNIA
This is news to me (regarding the no JD thing). If they are both admitted they are both attorneys and technically your friend can call themselves a lawyer since they've still studied law, they just don't possess a J.D.

Apparently there are a few states (including California) where you can do an apprenticeship to take the bar rather than obtain a J.D. degree (though a couple require you to have a partial law school education). Allegedly, there were only 60 people in the country who did this in 2013 (out of nearly 84,000 people who took bar exams). A large majority of them failed the exam.

I'm assuming most of them have apprenticeships with people who intend to hire them once admitted because good luck showing up to an interview without a J.D.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #29
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My friend was a cop, then switched gears. He was an apprentice with one firm, he seemed to know the owner well. After about 3 tries, they sorta gave up on him. He took it a fourth time and passed, then another firm picked him up. He has shown up, on his own, to represent some criminal defendants at prelims when the primary defender had other commitments.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:26 AM   #30
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Isn't that what is sometimes called "reading the law?" IIRC from high school American history classes (and I may not for that was some 45+ years ago) that is how Abraham Lincoln became an attorney. All in all, it strikes me as the legal world's equivalent of St. John's College "Great Books" approach to higher education, but I don't know any lawyers who've "read the law."

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #31
FJJB
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 - 6MT & ZCP

Certain states allow you to sit for the bar exam and practice via an apprenticeship route (as opposed to law school).

And not to get overly technical, but some (not all) states allow you to sit for the bar with foreign (non US) law degree and a 1-year US Masters of Law (LLM) degree.
Appreciate 0