BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

nerded out purchase of the day

Ok, I'm a nerd - yes I admit this as I work in the auto industry as an enginerd.

Have you ever purchased a product that sold you purely based on a technical/engineering/science approach? I should preface that I've owned two pair of sunglasses in my life both produced by RayBan - simply because my father owned them. Until this weekend after watching the below videos. I was impressed by the technical and functional approach versus the fashion end. After watching these two videos, I pulled the trigger on the following to replace my second pair of Rayban sunglasses which I've worn for the past 10yrs plus.

Question to my fellow Bimmer fans - ever had a similar experience? What did you purchase?

http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sungla...goryCode=m0202

Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Motorola Droid Turbo: Fastest processor on the market (when I got it, now I'm not so sure), adaptive fast charging (AKA Turbo Charge), best mainstream smartphone battery life, 565 ppi 4K compatible screen, 21 megapixel camera. Almost all my recent phone purchases were flagship/unique phones (Droid Maxx HD, HTC Nexus, T-Mo G1, HP iPaq).

Verizon Wireless: More 4G LTE coverage and better reception in general. It's more expensive, but the only time I remember dropping a call was impetuously driving into an underground parking lot. F**K Sprint and even T-Mobile; 9 years of loyalty just to either not receive calls or have them dropped in rural Oregon while taking care of my late father's final belongings .

E90: More creature comforts, innovations and controls than a similarly priced brand new Camry (minus rear cam)... But it wasn't as well-researched since CCC is much slower, but that's why I plan on getting NBT (again, for the tech aspect) or even if I somehow get enough money, a fully loaded G12 has enough tech to make my fragile mind explode, despite the fact that it's a frickin' land yacht.

Trivex lenses in my glasses with Crizal anti-glare mounted on Prada frames (until I #*%* lost them but I'm just saying as an example): Improved scratch resistance, fog resistance, oleophobic, almost no chromatic aberration, thinner lenses than plastic, less likely to distort, crack or break for drill-mount rimless. Before that, I got sunglasses from liquor stores and the cheapest options for glasses.

Now if I can upgrade to a Tesla P85D, a smart home where I can turn lights on from frickin' outer space if I wanted to, Alienware laptop AND desktop, I would be so happy...
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 08-13-2015 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #3
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

I bought 4 drones. :/
      08-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I bought one of these recently, book included.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Replying to drexplode directly, I've always bought nothing by Oakleys for sunglasses for the reasons you've listed. I have one pair of RayBans that my GF bought me, they almost never leave their case.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
how many raspberry pi's did you ppl end up with when they first came out?
      08-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
how many raspberry pi's did you ppl end up with when they first came out?
Zero. Fuck those things.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Zero. Fuck those things.
      08-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Oakley glasses are fkn garbage. Put on a set of Costas.....done. It's not even close. Quality and warranty is unprecedented.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i normally buy just the frames and get prescription lenses with all the protection and anti glare goodies. sure it turns $300 prada frames into $700 sunglasses but it's well worth it imo.

fully modded like our rides.
      08-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #11
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Oakley's have a set lifespan. After a certain amount of time, their coating starts to wear off the lenses, pits, or flakes, or all of the above.

I've given up on them and those will be my yardwork glasses lol. I've moved on to Smiths, and might try Costas next.
      08-15-2015, 11:03 PM   #12
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Oakley's have a set lifespan. After a certain amount of time, their coating starts to wear off the lenses, pits, or flakes, or all of the above.

I've given up on them and those will be my yardwork glasses lol. I've moved on to Smiths, and might try Costas next.
Coating degradation happens with any set of lenses though, just some happens sooner than later, but Oakley, IIRC does have a 2 year warranty against coating degradation. My other choice would be Maui Jim; before I quit my job as an optician, I heard that they were very well engineered as well, but their website is undergoing an upgrade and their content is not available, nor do I remember what specific aspects made it stand out.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Maui Jim's are very nice and customer service and warranty are exceptional.

Costas are up there as well.

Oakley are nice. I've never had a problem with them unless i was VERY careless. Like not rinsing them in fresh water after salt water exposure and letting them sit for 2 months. And even then, i relegated those paddle boarding and yard work because i had a scratch in the lenses already from a biking wipeout. But other than that, I've never had a Oakley lens go bad on me.
      08-20-2015, 02:11 AM   #14
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Another one to consider is Tag Heuer; it's the BMW of glasses IMO, where it's high end and has lens colors specifically tailored to certain sports (e.g. with golf it uses a blue that helps you find the ball in the grass), and even this gimmick where it uses the same material for the temples as an F1 steering wheel (I don't remember the name of the type of rubber)... Also speaking of cars, Serengeti has been advertising for years of how they found the right combination of brown and red to be perfect for driving; I replicated it with cheap sunglasses and it did work wonders .
Appreciate 0