BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
sonic1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any thoughts on 2lb 12" Macbook w/ Retina for $1299?

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook/gold-256gb

Any thoughts on this 2lb laptop w/ 9 hours of battery life? Need something more extensive than my tablet to carry around. Looks like a new generation of processors will be avail in 2-3 months, simply tired of the wait and need one now!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

I say wait 2-3 months rather than getting this now and then wanting to buy the new tech later.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

If it's a NEED at this time not a want, then I say go for it. The new Macbook is a beautiful machine but keep in mind it has only ONE connector (USB type C). You need to buy an $80 adapter to connect other peripherals since USB type C is not very common yet - price of being an early adopter!
      08-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

What new generation of processors are you referring to? This laptop has the Core M proc, and it's pretty recent. If you are talking about Intel's next microarchitecture, that is not going to be applied to Core M so it's pointless to wait if this is the model you want.

I think your most important consideration is performance. Do you need a lot of processing power because it's important to note that this runs a processor meant for lightweight, thin, fan-less devices. It will not be as powerful as the Core i series chips.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

ThinkPad T450s, just went through these gymnastics....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
What new generation of processors are you referring to? This laptop has the Core M proc, and it's pretty recent. If you are talking about Intel's next microarchitecture, that is not going to be applied to Core M so it's pointless to wait if this is the model you want.

I think your most important consideration is performance. Do you need a lot of processing power because it's important to note that this runs a processor meant for lightweight, thin, fan-less devices. It will not be as powerful as the Core i series chips.
Core M runs around 1.1 base and will turbo boost to almost 2.4
The problem will be heat as it has no CPU fan running on Intel's latest 14nm architecture.
It is about the same speed as an i3 but in a smaller package.
That 1299.99$ you will be getting the equivalent of a net book with a fancy screen .
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
If it's a NEED at this time not a want, then I say go for it. The new Macbook is a beautiful machine but keep in mind it has only ONE connector (USB type C). You need to buy an $80 adapter to connect other peripherals since USB type C is not very common yet - price of being an early adopter!
Apple needing adapters???? REALTY? I'm stunned, stunned I tell you.

Have nfi why anyone buys apple anything, baffles the crap outta me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

If all you do is surf the Web, watch videos/listen to music, and word processing then it'll be more than powerful for your needs. Also if you don't commonly transfer files via USB (although there are adapters for that) and do everything wirelessly then it will be perfect. It's got a great screen which are your eyes into the Internet so that's a big deal. It's tiny and looks great. Again if you're a lightweight user like a lot of people today it will suit your needs. The MB Air has more power and has more battery life but the screen.. Bleh. Pretty dated.

The 13" MBP is just about the same price and a fantastic portable. But it's not nearly as light and easy to carry as the MB. It really comes down to your needs and wants.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Apple needing adapters???? REALTY? I'm stunned, stunned I tell you.

Have nfi why anyone buys apple anything, baffles the crap outta me.
Go use their products for a week. Then you'll know

The truth of the matter is that people use externals (USB drives etc) less and less these days. Everything is wireless. Most people look at Facebook, Twitter, Amazon and Netflix. No external ports needed for that. Although is seems weird there's only one port on the MB, it'll start making more sense as technology progresses in the direction it's already heading.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

You could find this a bit cheaper online but I'd rather get a Macbook Air instead. Sure it's a bit heavier but it's more functional.
      08-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Core M runs around 1.1 base and will turbo boost to almost 2.4
The problem will be heat as it has no CPU fan running on Intel's latest 14nm architecture.
It is about the same speed as an i3 but in a smaller package.
That 1299.99$ you will be getting the equivalent of a net book with a fancy screen .
Well yes, that's true. Since you mentioned it I looked it up and the best M chip available can actually boost to 2.9GHz. But for the OP's reference, that is NOT the same as an i3 chip that idles at 2.9GHz so buyer beware. With no fans on this Apple, and how people tend to plop down and put their laptop on a pillow or something, temperature is going to be an issue. This chip will likely only begin to "boost" up speeds if it's plugged in and at optimal temperatures. And I for one would be very interested to see some data that shows how much and how often Intel Turbo Boost actually kicks in, considering it's only made to kick in when you already hit the base limits of the chip, which by definition, and physics, will always been when it's running hotter. I think at best these are very short bursts of speed. Intel is not stupid; they are not going to overclock their own chips to the point of failure.

The take away, from my opinion; view the intel boost speed limit with a huge grain of salt. In the real world it will almost never hit that speed, and if it did occasionally, it would be very brief.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

why do people waste so much money on these apple macbooks when they can barely do more than what a windows tablet can do?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #13
sonic1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

+1

Walked into the Apple store and purchased a 12" MB in Gold - haven't had any issues whatsoever, carries a nice 2-week return policy should the power prove to be insufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Go use their products for a week. Then you'll know

The truth of the matter is that people use externals (USB drives etc) less and less these days. Everything is wireless. Most people look at Facebook, Twitter, Amazon and Netflix. No external ports needed for that. Although is seems weird there's only one port on the MB, it'll start making more sense as technology progresses in the direction it's already heading.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #14
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I blacklist Apple for now.....I want Orange instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #15
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
why do people waste so much money on these apple macbooks when they can barely do more than what a windows tablet can do?
Because they just work... period. The touchpads are perfect (use a Mac touchpad for a day and then try to use any PC touchpad... they are jokes). Build is very good. Screens are awesome. Machines don't crash. Everything is fast. Everything integrates well and viruses virtually are non-existent (almost anyway ).

I use PC laptops at work and have owned PC laptops for years. After going to a Macbook Pro I can't ever see myself back in a Windows based machine again. Maybe Windows 10 will change that (to be seen) but the build quality of the Mac is as good or better than ANY PC laptop I've used. YMMV.

OP... I'd wait until the new laptops are released in a couple of months unless you really need it now.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 08-17-2015 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #16
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

My friend just got the macbook, I have a macbook pro and my gf has the air. Personally I was not a fan of the macbook. Specifically the keyboard. Absolutely no feedback at all. I mean laptop keyboards are pretty bad in general but this was even worse.

I love my macbook pro and would totally recommend it to anyone. However if you dont need that kind of power then I would go for an air.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Because they just work... period. The touchpads are perfect (use a Mac touchpad for a day and then try to use any PC touchpad... they are jokes). Build is very good. Screens are awesome. Machines don't crash. Everything is fast. Everything integrates well and viruses virtually are non-existent (almost anyway ).

I use PC laptops at work and have owned PC laptops for years. After going to a Macbook Pro I can't ever see myself back in a Windows based machine again. Maybe Windows 10 will change that (to be seen) but the build quality of the Mac is as good or better than ANY PC laptop I've used. YMMV.

OP... I'd wait until the new laptops are released in a couple of months unless you really need it now.
I was die hard PC fanboy and was looking for a slim powerful laptop with good battery life (this is like 6-7 years ago) couldnt find anything I liked in PC so went with a Macbook Pro. Never looked back. I just build a pretty nice gaming PC and while it is waaaay beyond what PCs were 6-7 years ago, when I have to do work, I still always switch back to my Macbook Pro. At work I use a PC and it works fine, but given a choice I will take OSX over Windows any day.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #18
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

I just wanted to briefly state, for all prying eyes, that this is 90% utter bullshit. They are solid on the outside, yes. Beyond that...nononono

Well, allow me to expand briefly on that thought. If you don't do shit with your computers, yes Mac's "just work".
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #19
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic1 View Post
+1

Walked into the Apple store and purchased a 12" MB in Gold - haven't had any issues whatsoever, carries a nice 2-week return policy should the power prove to be insufficient.
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Put it through its paces and let us know what you think
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #20
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Surface Pro 4
      08-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #21
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
I just wanted to briefly state, for all prying eyes, that this is 90% utter bullshit. They are solid on the outside, yes. Beyond that...nononono

Well, allow me to expand briefly on that thought. If you don't do shit with your computers, yes Mac's "just work".
Over 10 years of Mac experience and absolutely no issues. So I don't know what you are talking about.

I get plenty of exposure to Windows on work PC and aside from drag and drop window resizing in Windows 7, there isn't a single thing to miss.

Besides, you could install Windows on Mac anyway which is absolute blasphemy, but whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #22
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Over 10 years of Mac experience and absolutely no issues. So I don't know what you are talking about.

I get plenty of exposure to Windows on work PC and aside from drag and drop window resizing in Windows 7, there isn't a single thing to miss.

Besides, you could install Windows on Mac anyway which is absolute blasphemy, but whatever.
Well ok, lets start with that. Your exposure to Windows is on a work environment (as is very common with people who swear by mac, yet claim they have "experience" on PC). They have a mac at home for baby shit, and use a PC at work. You do realize how different a work environment is right? There is so much control and security in place, things running in the background, corporate antivirus, company images, possibly web filtering...etc that your PC is automatically doing more work than any standard PC at home. Then on top of that people think it's fine to leave 15 programs open that they aren't even using and wonder why a laptop is struggling. At my last job I would occasionally get people telling me why does their work laptop suck, and at home their laptop runs perfect. And I have to explain this concept to them. You can't just up and install anything on a work computer because it could fuck something else up. That's why IT shops vet software and patches before distribution. Mac's are getting pulled into a domain environment deeper and deeper now, and you will see this more and more with Mac's too. Just as i've been saying for the last 10 years that viruses on Mac's will become more of an issue as more people by Apple products; and now they are.

So to sum up "what i'm talking about": i've been doing IT for a while now. I currently am the sole individual looking over my companies NYC office with about 150-200 people. And as luck would have it for this conversation, I am pretty evenly split 50/50:Mac/PC; possibly slightly more Mac. I shit you not, I am being conservative if I say that 90% of the issues I see on a daily basis are related to the Mac's. I sometimes forget how many people have PC's here. Now let me be clear, I currently don't even use a PC at work, I use a MB Pro and I like it. But you know the main reason I knew to grab a Mac first and set up a PC later is because it was better to have it around for testing the issues I knew would arise.

Oh and yes I committed blasphemy and I have Windows running on it too. Why? Because there are programs out there that only run on PC. Because Outlook/Office is 100% better on a PC than Mac. Things like this. So trust me, in an environment where computers get pushed, network communications are complicated, and processing power is actually utilized, Mac's do not come close to the stability of a PC. Since I don't hate Mac i'll end with a note for them; they do some things well. They process audio superior to a PC (even though my iPhone 6 has crappy sound but I digress), they are easy to use for a lay person doing basic tasks, and they are built solid. It's pretty funny to see straight mac people who probably always said PC sucks begin to use a Mac for real work purposes and see how it's not so smooth of a ride anymore, bow to Lord Jobs just a little bit less.

Edit: Changed Gates to Jobs in that last line. Getting my tech founders mixed up.

Last edited by RedlinePSI; 08-18-2015 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0