08-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #23
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
I just wanted to briefly state, for all prying eyes, that this is 90% utter bullshit. They are solid on the outside, yes. Beyond that...nononono

Well, allow me to expand briefly on that thought. If you don't do shit with your computers, yes Mac's "just work".
Yeah, sure

Show me where 90% was absolute BS. Look at benchmark tests, lab tests, reviews, etc... all consistent with my comments. Lots of Apple haters out there and that's fine

Quote:
Well ok, lets start with that. Your exposure to Windows is on a work environment (as is very common with people who swear by mac, yet claim they have "experience" on PC). They have a mac at home for baby shit, and use a PC at work. You do realize how different a work environment is right? There is so much control and security in place, things running in the background, corporate antivirus, company images, possibly web filtering...etc that your PC is automatically doing more work than any standard PC at home. Then on top of that people think it's fine to leave 15 programs open that they aren't even using and wonder why a laptop is struggling. At my last job I would occasionally get people telling me why does their work laptop suck, and at home their laptop runs perfect. And I have to explain this concept to them. You can't just up and install anything on a work computer because it could fuck something else up. That's why IT shops vet software and patches before distribution. Mac's are getting pulled into a domain environment deeper and deeper now, and you will see this more and more with Mac's too. Just as i've been saying for the last 10 years that viruses on Mac's will become more of an issue as more people by Apple products; and now they are.

So to sum up "what i'm talking about": i've been doing IT for a while now. I currently am the sole individual looking over my companies NYC office with about 150-200 people. And as luck would have it for this conversation, I am pretty evenly split 50/50:Mac/PC; possibly slightly more Mac. I shit you not, I am being conservative if I say that 90% of the issues I see on a daily basis are related to the Mac's. I sometimes forget how many people have PC's here. Now let me be clear, I currently don't even use a PC at work, I use a MB Pro and I like it. But you know the main reason I knew to grab a Mac first and set up a PC later is because it was better to have it around for testing the issues I knew would arise.

Oh and yes I committed blasphemy and I have Windows running on it too. Why? Because there are programs out there that only run on PC. Because Outlook/Office is 100% better on a PC than Mac. Things like this. So trust me, in an environment where computers get pushed, network communications are complicated, and processing power is actually utilized, Mac's do not come close to the stability of a PC. Since I don't hate Mac i'll end with a note for them; they do some things well. They process audio superior to a PC (even though my iPhone 6 has crappy sound but I digress), they are easy to use for a lay person doing basic tasks, and they are built solid. It's pretty funny to see straight mac people who probably always said PC sucks begin to use a Mac for real work purposes and see how it's not so smooth of a ride anymore, bow to Lord Gates just a little bit less.
EDIT: Your post above may be true (or 90% BS ) but we aren't talking about the OP buying a Mac to use in a large scale office, network/enterprise environment. We are talking about a home computer to do all of the stuff people do for personal computing and that is where the Mac is fantastic. Your opinion opinions above are influenced by factors that won't matter to him even if what you say is absolutely correct. The Macbook and OSX work better in the personal/home world than any Windows based PC laptop I have experienced to date... notwithstanding Windows 10 which I have no experience with yet
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 08-18-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #24
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Yeah, sure

Show me where 90% was absolute BS. Look at benchmark tests, lab tests, reviews, etc... all consistent with my comments. Lots of Apple haters out there and that's fine

EDIT: Your post above may be true (or 90% BS ) but we aren't talking about the OP buying a Mac to use in a large scale office, network/enterprise environment. We are talking about a home computer to do all of the stuff people do for personal computing and that is where the Mac is fantastic. Your opinion opinions above are influenced by factors that won't matter to him even if what you say is absolutely correct. The Macbook and OSX work better in the personal/home world than any Windows based PC laptop I have experienced to date... notwithstanding Windows 10 which I have no experience with yet
Absolutely, for home use it's total preference. And I agree that Mac's simplicity for basic home use is great. Also currently viruses are still less common (not absent) on OSX, so that is a plus. I am in no way trying to convince the OP to get a Windows laptop instead. That Mac he picked will probably do him just fine, as long as he doesn't start getting too crazy with what he does on it. But that's related to the processor talk, not whether it's a Mac or PC.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #25
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
I just wanted to briefly state, for all prying eyes, that this is 90% utter bullshit. They are solid on the outside, yes. Beyond that...nononono

Well, allow me to expand briefly on that thought. If you don't do shit with your computers, yes Mac's "just work".
Yeah, sure

Quote:
Well ok, lets start with that. Your exposure to Windows is on a work environment (as is very common with people who swear by mac, yet claim they have "experience" on PC). They have a mac at home for baby shit, and use a PC at work. You do realize how different a work environment is right? There is so much control and security in place, things running in the background, corporate antivirus, company images, possibly web filtering...etc that your PC is automatically doing more work than any standard PC at home. Then on top of that people think it's fine to leave 15 programs open that they aren't even using and wonder why a laptop is struggling. At my last job I would occasionally get people telling me why does their work laptop suck, and at home their laptop runs perfect. And I have to explain this concept to them. You can't just up and install anything on a work computer because it could fuck something else up. That's why IT shops vet software and patches before distribution. Mac's are getting pulled into a domain environment deeper and deeper now, and you will see this more and more with Mac's too. Just as i've been saying for the last 10 years that viruses on Mac's will become more of an issue as more people by Apple products; and now they are.

So to sum up "what i'm talking about": i've been doing IT for a while now. I currently am the sole individual looking over my companies NYC office with about 150-200 people. And as luck would have it for this conversation, I am pretty evenly split 50/50:Mac/PC; possibly slightly more Mac. I shit you not, I am being conservative if I say that 90% of the issues I see on a daily basis are related to the Mac's. I sometimes forget how many people have PC's here. Now let me be clear, I currently don't even use a PC at work, I use a MB Pro and I like it. But you know the main reason I knew to grab a Mac first and set up a PC later is because it was better to have it around for testing the issues I knew would arise.

Oh and yes I committed blasphemy and I have Windows running on it too. Why? Because there are programs out there that only run on PC. Because Outlook/Office is 100% better on a PC than Mac. Things like this. So trust me, in an environment where computers get pushed, network communications are complicated, and processing power is actually utilized, Mac's do not come close to the stability of a PC. Since I don't hate Mac i'll end with a note for them; they do some things well. They process audio superior to a PC (even though my iPhone 6 has crappy sound but I digress), they are easy to use for a lay person doing basic tasks, and they are built solid. It's pretty funny to see straight mac people who probably always said PC sucks begin to use a Mac for real work purposes and see how it's not so smooth of a ride anymore, bow to Lord Gates just a little bit less.
Windows 10 is absolutely awesome! Love it!
      08-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #26
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:

Oh and yes I committed blasphemy and I have Windows running on it too. Why? Because there are programs out there that only run on PC. Because Outlook/Office is 100% better on a PC than Mac. Things like this. So trust me, in an environment where computers get pushed, network communications are complicated, and processing power is actually utilized, Mac's do not come close to the stability of a PC. Since I don't hate Mac i'll end with a note for them; they do some things well. They process audio superior to a PC (even though my iPhone 6 has crappy sound but I digress), they are easy to use for a lay person doing basic tasks, and they are built solid. It's pretty funny to see straight mac people who probably always said PC sucks begin to use a Mac for real work purposes and see how it's not so smooth of a ride anymore, bow to Lord Jobs just a little bit less.

Edit: Changed Gates to Jobs in that last line. Getting my tech founders mixed up.
You do realize you're yelling at the wall here, right? Mac people don't understand anything beyond the Internet, ProTools, and iTunes.

Anyone remember the clown in the last thread claiming Mac's HDD's were somehow superior because, well, they came in a Mac?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #27
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
You do realize you're yelling at the wall here, right? Mac people don't understand anything beyond the Internet, ProTools, and iTunes.

Anyone remember the clown in the last thread claiming Mac's HDD's were somehow superior because, well, they came in a Mac?
Psssss... it's not the hardware that's superior, it's the OS.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #28
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post

Psssss... it's not the hardware that's superior, it's the OS.
I'd take windows 10 over the Mac OS any day/hour/minute.
      08-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #29
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
And some people prefer vanilla over chocolate. However those people are fucking nuts.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #30
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I like mint chocolate chip.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #31
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And some people prefer vanilla over chocolate. However those people are fucking nuts.
I like hot fudge sundaes with nuts. Vanilla, chocolate, and nuts all in one. However, the nuts are not mating.
      08-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #32
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
      08-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #33
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like hot fudge sundaes with nuts. Vanilla, chocolate, and nuts all in one. However, the nuts are not mating.
I don't like sundays they are just vanilla disguised with chocolate! Like when you order a chocolate sunday and they just pour chocolate syrup over VANILLA wtf!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:18 AM   #34
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't like sundays they are just vanilla disguised with chocolate! Like when you order a chocolate sunday and they just pour chocolate syrup over VANILLA wtf!!!!
You are doing it all wrong! That's why. Let me help you out.

You are going to a very poor quality establishment.

I know this because:

-They are spelling 'sundae' incorrectly as you noted above.

-No self respecting ice cream dispenser would EVER use chocolate 'syrup'.

Based on this you have no grounds on making a claim of chocolate being superior to vanilla. You just proved that you, in fact, are the one who is nuts!

08-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #35
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think the real question is... What's better: home made ice cream or good brand name gelato?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #36
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

My issue with apple is the way they forcibly lock you into their ecosystem. They take away all the physical ports and try to ram the absurd cloud idea down your throat.

Managing data on an ipad is obscenely difficult and forces you to use the malware that is itunes.

Well made and beautiful to look at and touch but a monumental pain in the arse to use is my experience, absolutely loathe trying to use apple anything as i am usually left in a rage and want to hurl the device through a window.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #37
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

This sums up Apple to me ....

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #38
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are doing it all wrong! That's why. Let me help you out.

You are going to a very poor quality establishment.

I know this because:

-They are spelling 'sundae' incorrectly as you noted above.

-No self respecting ice cream dispenser would EVER use chocolate 'syrup'.

Based on this you have no grounds on making a claim of chocolate being superior to vanilla. You just proved that you, in fact, are the one who is nuts!

I apologize, I am not well versed in the "sundae" terminology as my experience with them is limited. I prefer my ice cream how I prefer my women, naked.

However please do not get me wrong. Although chocolate is the superior ice cream, vanilla still has a strong place in the dessert world and that is next to apple pie.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #39
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Steve Jobs Vs. Bill Gates

08-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #40
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
I buy a brand new $2K Macbook Pro and Bootcamp Windows 7 on it immediately, what does that tell you?

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #41
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
I buy a brand new $2K Macbook Pro and Bootcamp Windows 7 on it immediately, what does that tell you?
You wasted about $500 on an equivalent Lenovo machine.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #42
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You wasted about $500 on an equivalent Lenovo machine.
Tried that route.. and returned it. It did not do it for me. The aesthetics and the build quality did NOT compare, in my opinion.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #43
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This sums up Apple to me ....

Apart from the CD I'm not even sure what they connected with all those cables. I can't remember the last time I used a CD. I even install Windows off USB.

That being said my Macbook Pro has 2 USB ports, 2 Thunderbolt ports, card reader and HDMI port. I've never been at a Starbucks and thought to myself godammit I wish I had one more port!!!

Plus when I get home I dock it in my workstation and have all the peripherals I have on my full tower PC.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #44
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Right but the pro is not the air is it and does not compete with the X300.
Appreciate 0