08-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #45
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Right but the pro is not the air is it and does not compete with the X300.
I dont know much about the X300 but based solely on sheer size from that video looks much closer to a pro than an air.

Plus if you need all that crap you are clearly not the target audience for the air or the new macbook.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #46
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
Tried that route.. and returned it. It did not do it for me. The aesthetics and the build quality did NOT compare, in my opinion.
And THAT right there is where we get to the real reason you bought a Mac...looks. What a waste of $500. Your last sentence is B.S. I've worked with business Lenovo's (ThinkPads) for YEARS and the their build quality\durability is superior to Mac. My T430s could take a beating no MBP could take. I call your Mac fanboi bullshit. And as for the air, bitch please, I have a X1 Carbon for my "wow look at how thin and fast it is" notebook. Cost less than a MBA and performs just as well or better. Runs Windows 8.1 and I've NEVER had a harware or OS issue with it for just doing with it what most Mac owners, in general, do with their Macs...play on the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #47
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

lol I use a T430S. A fucking beast of a thing, built like a tanker.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #48
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
lol I use a T430S. A fucking beast of a thing, built like a tanker.
But still pretty thin and lightweight. Mine runs off a mSATA 256 GB SSD and has a 500 GB mechanical in it for storage. Nvdia equipped and everything. Two year old i5 and still kicks ass.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #49
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

It's the lightest dockable machine i could find, i love me a dock as well as a full suite of ports.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #50
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
And THAT right there is where we get to the real reason you bought a Mac...looks. What a waste of $500. Your last sentence is B.S. I've worked with business Lenovo's (ThinkPads) for YEARS and the their build quality\durability is superior to Mac. My T430s could take a beating no MBP could take. I call your Mac fanboi bullshit. And as for the air, bitch please, I have a X1 Carbon for my "wow look at how thin and fast it is" notebook. Cost less than a MBA and performs just as well or better. Runs Windows 8.1 and I've NEVER had a harware or OS issue with it for just doing with it what most Mac owners, in general, do with their Macs...play on the Internet.
I'm confused. I looked up that X1 Carbon and it's listed for $1,269.00 for the cheapest model. The specs for that model are equal or lesser than that of the $999.00 Air with the exception of a 1" larger screen at least at a glance.

And it seems even you agree on the aesthetics "advantage" of Apple products. So the way I see it you get a better looking, equally equipped laptop for $269 less.

Bottom line is being a "fanboi" of either side is a mistake.

You don't eat soup with a fork and knife and you don't eat steak with a spoon.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #51
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

This Mac vs Window's argument is about as lame as the 335i vs M3 ones. Calling Mac superior "because Mac" is pretty ignorant, just as saying Windows is awesome for reasons.

You really need to look at the specifications of either laptop/desktop you are considering. A lot of the companies use the same stuff inside (Intel CPU, Nvidia graphics), so it really boils down to what you need to get done and the OS you prefer. Mac's get virus's (people program these, so they will make them for Mac), and Mac's break down just as much as a Windows computer can. There are no magical components in a Mac, they all use the same stuff as any other computer out there.
      08-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #52
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
This Mac vs Window's argument is about as lame as the 335i vs M3 ones. Calling Mac superior "because Mac" is pretty ignorant, just as saying Windows is awesome for reasons.

You really need to look at the specifications of either laptop/desktop you are considering. A lot of the companies use the same stuff inside (Intel CPU, Nvidia graphics), so it really boils down to what you need to get done and the OS you prefer. Mac's get virus's (people program these, so they will make them for Mac), and Mac's break down just as much as a Windows computer can. There are no magical components in a Mac, they all use the same stuff as any other computer out there.
But as long as there are two or more major players in the computer world, it will never end. Just like anything else, human beings like to group together, take sides, and defend their opinions whether or not they understand the facts or fundamentals. Religion, racism, mac vs pc, domestic vs import...it's all the same shit. That is why peace on earth is impossible. Happy Thursday! haha
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #53
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm confused. I looked up that X1 Carbon and it's listed for $1,269.00 for the cheapest model. The specs for that model are equal or lesser than that of the $999.00 Air with the exception of a 1" larger screen at least at a glance.
The cheapest model is $1142 and you get a larger screen, so there's your cost difference. At the time of purchase my X1 Carbon was cheaper than a MBA.

Quote:
And it seems even you agree on the aesthetics "advantage" of Apple products. So the way I see it you get a better looking, equally equipped laptop for $269 less.
No, I most certainly don't agree on the aesthetics...IDK where the hell you got that from. I simply stated you think the Mac looks better and that's probably why you bought it. The above statement proves I was right.

Quote:
Bottom line is being a "fanboi" of either side is a mistake.
Not when when one is better than the other. See below...

Quote:
You don't eat soup with a fork and knife and you don't eat steak with a spoon.
Than that would make a PC a spork because you can do everything you can do with a Mac and still take it into the corporate world and function without having to switch operating systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #54
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post

But as long as there are two or more major players in the computer world, it will never end. Just like anything else, human beings like to group together, take sides, and defend their opinions whether or not they understand the facts or fundamentals. Religion, racism, mac vs pc, domestic vs import...it's all the same shit. That is why peace on earth is impossible. Happy Thursday! haha
At least we can agree that M cars are the best!!!
      08-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #55
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Get the Dell XPS13, I have it and its amazing
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #56
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The cheapest model is $1142 and you get a larger screen, so there's your cost difference. At the time of purchase my X1 Carbon was cheaper than a MBA.

No, I most certainly don't agree on the aesthetics...IDK where the hell you got that from. I simply stated you think the Mac looks better and that's probably why you bought it. The above statement proves I was right.

Not when when one is better than the other. See below...

Than that would make a PC a spork because you can do everything you can do with a Mac and still take it into the corporate world and function without having to switch operating systems.
Mkay, well you really did not address my point, you claimed someone was paying $500 more for aesthetics, yet the air and that other laptop have pretty much identical specs except for the 1" larger screen and even at the price you paid it's $142 more than the air. Lets call it even since it is a slightly larger screen. Basically you are paying the same for equally equipped laptops.

As far as your corporate environment comment. I have worked in places where IT so much as sees a mac and they proceed to go on a tirade about how nothing will work on the mac and how much they hate macs and how you can just keep it off the network. I have also worked at places where IT somehow miraculously got all the macs to work just fine.

However given how many of the first kind of IT people there are out there I will just give you that point. PCs work better in a corporate environment. So what? I can't take my Z4 rock climbing, I still bought it though, and it works perfectly for what I use it for. Not everyone works in a corporate environment or even use their computer for work.

And hell I'm arguing just for the sake of it because personally I wouldn't buy an air myself. However I just don't like fanboys on either side.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #57
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mkay, well you really did not address my point, you claimed someone was paying $500 more for aesthetics, yet the air and that other laptop have pretty much identical specs except for the 1" larger screen and even at the price you paid it's $142 more than the air. Lets call it even since it is a slightly larger screen. Basically you are paying the same for equally equipped laptops.
I addressed your point. Now you quote me where I claimed someone was paying $500 for aesthetics??? WTH are you on, man? This is the 2nd time you told me I've said something I haven't.

However, if you want me to tell you a story about a business spending more than that on the "aesthetics" of a Mac just because, I can tell you about a client I had to deal with last week...

Last edited by davis449; 08-20-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #58
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #59
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No touchscreen on a Mac?! /thread

08-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #60
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, ok, you got me for using phrasing from another poster (Alfisti)...you go fanboi:

Quote:
You wasted about $500 on an equivalent Lenovo machine.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #61
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

its $1200.

Buy it, play with it, if you don't like it, sell it. I have more expensive tools I've never used.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #62
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, ok, you got me for using phrasing from another poster (Alfisti)...you go fanboi:
Apology accepted.

Now this fanboi has to go on his Macbook Pro to see if pricing has dropped on the GTX970 so he can purchase another one to run SLI on his PC.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #63
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps
Quote:
Apology accepted.

Now this fanboi has to go on his Macbook Pro to see if pricing has dropped on the GTX970 so he can purchase another one to run SLI on his PC.
That should kick up the FPS above 30!
      08-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #64
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
That should kick up the FPS above 30!
Hopefully. I can run most games I play on ultra no issues with the single 970 at 1080, however on some of the newer graphic intensive games I have issues if I try to run them at 5k (1080 across 3 displays).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #65
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

I got a 2008 MacBook, the first unibody sold, and 7 years and 7 iOS upgrades later it still works like a charm. Show me any windows machine that can do that ...
But haters will hate... No matter what...
      08-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #66
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully. I can run most games I play on ultra no issues with the single 970 at 1080, however on some of the newer graphic intensive games I have issues if I try to run them at 5k (1080 across 3 displays).
Very nice! NVIDIA's cards have come a ling way since the RIVA 128 .

I used to travel all around the country back in the mid to late 90s for tournaments. ID Quake franchise games. Made some good money back then. Man I feel old now!

Keep buying NVIDIA. I have stock in them!