BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #1
Hawkeye_K
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Lubrication/WD-40 for Steering Wheel?

My steering wheel makes a squeaking/ grinding noise when it retracts after turning car off. It happens when the car/ weather is warm. I took it to the dealer, and they found PUMA Measure CA-65486141 which advised adjusting the steering column spindle. The noise went away for a few days after adjustment, but it is now back again.

I feel like steering wheel column needs to be lubricated. Can I use WD-40? If not, what kind of lubrication should I use?

Last edited by Hawkeye_K; 05-30-2022 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_K View Post
My steering wheel makes a squeaking/ grinding noise when it retracts after turning car off. It happens when the car/ weather is warm. I took it to the dealer, and they found PUMA Measure CA-65486141 which advised adjusting the steering column spindle. The noise went away for a few days after adjustment, but it is now back again.

I feel like steering wheel column needs to be lubricated. Can I use WD-40? If not, what kind of lubrication I should use?
You need to know the root cause of the noise you're hearing before you can decide on the correct lubricant. WD-40 is an all purpose light oil which may not do anything, long term, for your issue except stink up your car and drip all over the place, especially where you don't want it. If you don't know what is causing the noise, how will you know where to put any sort of lubrication or if lubricating the parts may only mask the root cause which will further deteriorate over time. There are no solutions without first finding root cause.

Go back to your dealer, talk with them about what is causing it and exactly what they did that made it go away short term. Maybe they can even show you what's causing it and once you see what's causing it, talk with them about if lubrication is the right thing to do. Sorry, I'm sure this is not the answer you were seeking

Maybe someone else here has already solved this issue and can tell you what they did.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

There's an SIB on this issue I believe. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...05616-9999.pdf.
Appreciate 2
Ukd X682.50
      05-30-2022, 01:55 PM   #4
Hawkeye_K
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
You need to know the root cause of the noise you're hearing before you can decide on the correct lubricant. WD-40 is an all purpose light oil which may not do anything, long term, for your issue except stink up your car and drip all over the place, especially where you don't want it. If you don't know what is causing the noise, how will you know where to put any sort of lubrication or if lubricating the parts may only mask the root cause which will further deteriorate over time. There are no solutions without first finding root cause.

Go back to your dealer, talk with them about what is causing it and exactly what they did that made it go away short term. Maybe they can even show you what's causing it and once you see what's causing it, talk with them about if lubrication is the right thing to do. Sorry, I'm sure this is not the answer you were seeking

Maybe someone else here has already solved this issue and can tell you what they did.
Thanks, makes sense!
I was thinking to lift up the plastic cover behind the wheel and lubricate that area.

Seems like another visit to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
Hawkeye_K
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
There's an SIB on this issue I believe. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...05616-9999.pdf.
Thanks! I think this is what dealer did.
Strangely enough, the noise is heard only when steering wheel is retracting.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 02:48 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
From reading the SIB, it says that if the adjustment doesn't solve it, then they have to replace the steering column whether your car was built before or after Dec 31, 2020 so it would appear a simple adjustment won't always permanently solve it but the dealer will certainly try that before replacing parts. Yeah, another nice trip to the dealer - ugh. You have to stay on top of warranty paid solutions as one day your car will be out of warranty and then you'll be glad you did all you did while it was still covered
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 03:06 PM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Do not spray WD-40 on your car. "Water-Displacement, 40th formula" was originally developed to prevent moisture from forming (and freezing) on the skin of Atlas missiles and worked rather well for that. But it also contains various hydrocarbons as part of the formula, several of which are unfriendly to some paints and plastics in addition to being a very poor lubricant, and there are many more effective lubricants and protectants, if that's even indicated in this case.
Appreciate 2
SKBSY885.00
      05-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #8
Hawkeye_K
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Do not spray WD-40 on your car. "Water-Displacement, 40th formula" was originally developed to prevent moisture from forming (and freezing) on the skin of Atlas missiles and worked rather well for that. But it also contains various hydrocarbons as part of the formula, several of which are unfriendly to some paints and plastics in addition to being a very poor lubricant, and there are many more effective lubricants and protectants, if that's even indicated in this case.
Oh wow! Thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      06-01-2022, 12:13 AM   #9
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I use wd40 to clean bearings before regreasing/packing with new grease. No way do I use wd40 as a lube
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 1
Paladin15457.50
      06-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #10
Bimmerworld76
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

I feel like steering wheel column needs to be lubricated. Can I use WD-40? If not, what kind of lubrication should I use?
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #11
Bimmerworld76
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 07:07 PM   #12
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Thanks for the insight
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 04:45 AM   #13
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

Steering wheel groan/grind

Hi
I had this with all my x5&X6s, my current car X5 GO5 has just started, it's been in once, so I having to go back again!!
Interesting my car is a June 20 build so armed with your information I speak to dealer!
Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0