BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #111
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
521 was the number that didn't work. It's 971 now.
My changed to an area code in my state.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #112
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 G05

Garage List
They're passing my VIN off to the department that contacts ATT so this will go on for at least a few more days.
      01-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #113
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstyler View Post
They're passing my VIN off to the department that contacts ATT so this will go on for at least a few more days.
After a couple days you should see the vehicle mobile number change, hopefully your other sim functions still work at that point. If not, try what I did. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #114
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeya2006 View Post
Quote:
After a couple days you should see the vehicle mobile number change, hopefully your other sim functions still work at that point. If not, try what I did. Good luck!
Thanks! Actually got an email associated with my ATT ticket this morning. If anything changes I'll let you all know.
      01-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #115
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Heard back from AT&T, but they were just doing data collection to work the case further. No crazy progress to report.

I did happen to have a few text messages arrive while attached to the hotspot and I confirmed I wasn't connected to another beacon so it was a little encouraging. However once I started trying to browse to att.com/Bmw or myvehicle.att.com neither sites would come up.

When more happens I'll report back.
      01-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #116
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Heard back from AT&T, but they were just doing data collection to work the case further. No crazy progress to report.

I did happen to have a few text messages arrive while attached to the hotspot and I confirmed I wasn't connected to another beacon so it was a little encouraging. However once I started trying to browse to att.com/Bmw or myvehicle.att.com neither sites would come up.

Were you able to find out the IMEI number from Bmw? Did it match with ATT's info?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #117
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Heard back from at&t and the need the sim number to activate. said i needed to take to the dealer. Going to post the forum if there is a way to get into the tech menu. all my other cars had a cheat. push this and that and touch here and so on. Not sure if that is still possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #118
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
Heard back from at&t and the need the sim number to activate. said i needed to take to the dealer. Going to post the forum if there is a way to get into the tech menu. all my other cars had a cheat. push this and that and touch here and so on. Not sure if that is still possible.
This is not possible and doesn't work. You have to call BMW Genius and they will take care of it with AT&T. They did it for me and many others on here.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #119
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeya2006 View Post
Quote:

Were you able to find out the IMEI number from Bmw? Did it match with ATT's info?
I was told by BMW that they cannot and will not provide the IMEI. This is all handled via backchannels between AT&T and BMW. You need to call the Genius hotline or email BMW Genius to get it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #120
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is not possible and doesn't work. You have to call BMW Genius and they will take care of it with AT&T. They did it for me and many others on here.
That is what started this. i called genius and after being put on hold they said they needed to transfer me to at&t. AT&T got on the line and after some discusion they said they were opening a ticket this was saturday morning.
Today i get this email

This is Frank from AT&T Connected Car regarding Ticket 419275

We have gotten word back from the back office team and they requesting the SIm card # for the vehicle. It starts with 89011... and is 20 digits long. You will have to head to the dealership to procure it.

You can respond to this e-mail and/or contact us at 1-866-595-1222. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #121
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That is what started this. i called genius and after being put on hold they said they needed to transfer me to at&t. AT&T got on the line and after some discusion they said they were opening a ticket this was saturday morning.
Today i get this email

This is Frank from AT&T Connected Car regarding Ticket 419275

We have gotten word back from the back office team and they requesting the SIm card # for the vehicle. It starts with 89011... and is 20 digits long. You will have to head to the dealership to procure it.

You can respond to this e-mail and/or contact us at 1-866-595-1222. Thank you
Yep, I know Frank well. I've been through all of this. He can't help you. Only Genius can. I even spoke to BMW reps at CES. Genius has to solve it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #122
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep

ok thanks i will call again tomorrow. is there a way to get to someone smarter. I so far have not been that impressed with who i have been getting.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:53 PM   #123
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ok thanks i will call again tomorrow. is there a way to get to someone smarter. I so far have not been that impressed with who i have been getting.
Email seems to get the most knowledgeable response. I've been getting the same person via email and he's been great. He's also the one who would call me weekly with updates, to let me know it was fixed, sent me instructions, and has followed up with me a couple times since including when I emailed some more questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:39 AM   #124
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I was told by BMW that they cannot and will not provide the IMEI. This is all handled via backchannels between AT&T and BMW. You need to call the Genius hotline or email BMW Genius to get it resolved.
They must have changed their procedure, I had no problem getting both IMEI and SIM ICCID numbers when I called BMW Assist. I explained that when my vehicle mobile number changed, the car lost all sim functions so I suspect their must have been an information mismatch between BMW and AT&T, then I asked if I could have my current IMEI number so I could find out if the number is the same with AT&T.

From what I understand, BMW Genuis only have access to your vehicle mobile number, they do not have any other sim information.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:44 AM   #125
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You shouldn't need to give AT&T you sim information. They should be able to look up your information by the vehicle mobile number that was assigned to you by BMW. If they couldn't find your info with that number, you need to contact BMW to change the number. Many of us that had a number starting "521" at delivery had to change to another number. BMW Genius should be able to help you change the number. Once the number is changed, call AT&T, they should be able to look up your info with the new number.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #126
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey, everyone. BMW is working the PUMA case and AT&T is working their case. So far nothing. Will check back in again soon.
      01-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #127
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
Hey, everyone. BMW is working the PUMA case and AT&T is working their case. So far nothing. Will check back in again soon.
So is the general consensus that it requires that all owners contact BMW to "start the ball rolling"? Do you think within 6 mos. that everything will be ironed out and new owners will work on day 1 and existing owners will also work? It seems like a lot of work on everyone's part if all xxx thousands of owners have to do these genius/CA/AT&T acrobatics!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #128
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusecks View Post
Quote:
So is the general consensus that it requires that all owners contact BMW to "start the ball rolling"? Do you think within 6 mos. that everything will be ironed out and new owners will work on day 1 and existing owners will also work? It seems like a lot of work on everyone's part if all xxx thousands of owners have to do these genius/CA/AT&T acrobatics!
I would think they're working it out bc multiple forum members hot spots started working after I got the call that they fixed mine. If you call Genius they put you in a list and keep following up with you until they resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #129
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Do you have the PUMA case number. Want to follow up with my dealer.

Genius and assist are not willing to help. Called them multiple times over the past 3 weeks - they sound more annoyed now when you call. Saying: we know we know. but do not want to open the case or deal with it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #130
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Quote:

Genius and assist are not willing to help. Called them multiple times over the past 3 weeks - they sound more annoyed now when you call. Saying: we know we know. but do not want to open the case or deal with it
Don't have a PUMA case number, but my CA was in touch regarding the open case when someone from up the chain needed more info.
      01-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #131
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

My dealer IT guy claims he has been referred to "the PUMA bulletin boards" but no update from him for 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #132
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

Try calling ATT at 1866-595-1222 and give them your vehicle mobile number.

If they can't find the number in their system, then the problem is with BMW, then call BMW Genius, they should be able to take your Vin and submit to a department to update the number.

If ATT was able to find the mobile number, then you should be able to activate hotspot with them on the phone.
Appreciate 0