BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Laser and standard led high beam

Whats the difference from the standard LED high beam and the laser high beam.

I was driving the other night and I turned on my high beam and it was super bright. Had to turn it off when i see opposing traffic, afraid i would blind the other driver. I was only going about 20mph, not enough for the laser to kick on.

If the standard high beam is this bright, i cant imagine how bright the laser are when it actually kicks on?

Last edited by dream54ing; 04-11-2019 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The lasers are extremely bright. On a trip in bad weather, I could easily see when the lasers kicked on from the led high beams. It would light up so far down the interstate going 80mph that I would see tiny blue and green dots way in front of me. Those dots were road signs being illuminated by the lasers. The light focus was so direct and sharp, it won’t be confused as anything but a laser high beam system. Obviously the laser system is hampered by our current regulations but they still are extremely effective even in their reduced time they are activated.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The lasers are extremely bright. On a trip in bad weather, I could easily see when the lasers kicked on from the led high beams. It would light up so far down the interstate going 80mph that I would see tiny blue and green dots way in front of me. Those dots were road signs being illuminated by the lasers. The light focus was so direct and sharp, it won’t be confused as anything but a laser high beam system. Obviously the laser system is hampered by our current regulations but they still are extremely effective even in their reduced time they are activated.
Thanks, was reading a few older threads AndroidRobot started, but decide to post because now that we actually have ours. I cant even imagine the laser, even if its 25% brighter (from other thread)!

Taking a road trip in a few weeks, so going to test it out!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Thanks, was reading a few older threads AndroidRobot started, but decide to post because now that we actually have ours. I cant even imagine the laser, even if its 25% brighter (from other thread)!

Taking a road trip in a few weeks, so going to test it out!!!
A road trip is the right environment when they kick on you will feel like the laser is a tractor beam pulling you down the road, especially if you get in any fog or bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
A road trip is the right environment when they kick on you will feel like the laser is a tractor beam pulling you down the road, especially if you get in any fog or bad weather.
good to know what to look for! I'm in Arizona so no fog or bad weather probably heading to vegas, so at least there will be some pitch dark areas with good amount of mixed straight flat and curvy inclines roads!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
The main advantage of the laser high beam can only be seen if you re-enable the Non-Glare High Beam function (which was disabled for North America). This can be done by coding.

Though haven't seen laser light in action, but the Non-Glare High Beam from previous gen adaptive LED works pretty amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
The main advantage of the laser high beam can only be seen if you re-enable the Non-Glare High Beam function (which was disabled for North America). This can be done by coding.

Though haven't seen laser light in action, but the Non-Glare High Beam from previous gen adaptive LED works pretty amazing.
Yeah, we have adaptive Led on our 4 and its pretty bright, but the new x5 lights up the whole street and down the block pretty far.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:

Not true.

You cannot code this on the G05 yet.
Appreciate 0