United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchgate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
any improvement after disabling the VPN?
So far yes actually - probably will require a few more days of wake/sleep cycles to confirm. But ever since I disabled the VPN I've had no problems connecting to CarPlay.
keep us posted. this is something I’ll have to reminder to ask when troubleshooting other’s connection issues
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 08:07 AM   #24
johneric2005
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Just picked up a 50e, 8/10 build date with ID 8.5. I've noticed that CarPlay won't work after the car is locked (and sleeps). Get an error on the iDrive screen that CarPlay can't connect and to check WiFi and Bluetooth settings on the phone. A hard reset of ID fixes it instantly. Hopefully an Apple bug and not BMW!

EDIT: one more thing to note is that when I reset ID, I don't have to delete/re-pair CarPlay. Just starts working almost instantly.
Same is happening to me. What exactly do you mean by a Hard Reset of your ID? Do you mean you Apple ID or your BMW ID and, how is that done?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 08:32 AM   #25
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneric2005 View Post
Quote:
Just picked up a 50e, 8/10 build date with ID 8.5. I've noticed that CarPlay won't work after the car is locked (and sleeps). Get an error on the iDrive screen that CarPlay can't connect and to check WiFi and Bluetooth settings on the phone. A hard reset of ID fixes it instantly. Hopefully an Apple bug and not BMW!

EDIT: one more thing to note is that when I reset ID, I don't have to delete/re-pair CarPlay. Just starts working almost instantly.
Same is happening to me. What exactly do you mean by a Hard Reset of your ID? Do you mean you Apple ID or your BMW ID and, how is that done?
he means iDrive. the only hard reset I’m aware of is factory reset. soft resets involving the radio VOLUME button are iDrive and telematics reboots
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 01:29 PM   #26
johneric2005
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
he means iDrive. the only hard reset I’m aware of is factory reset. soft resets involving the radio VOLUME button are iDrive and telematics reboots
Thanks - seems opposite of what was said in terms of its simplicity. Would love to know more. It happens to me every couple days and can be frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 08:25 AM   #27
couchgate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Turning off the VPN on my phone seems to have fixed things for me. Will require a few more cycles of testing but it's all positive so far
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4655.00
      08-19-2023, 09:16 AM   #28
mbeezy13
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 xdrive50e

Just to recap, my wife is running the latest iOS (16.6) on an iPhone 14 Pro.

She has bluetooth and wifi always on.

Soft reset of infotainment works for a few days (this most recent time 6 whole days without a problem) but the problem reappeared today. Just won't connect.

Car came with iDrive 8.5 already installed. So i have no basis for comparison to prior versions.

Her phone works flawlessly in my audi e-tron GT with wireless CarPlay. I think this is an idrive 8.5 problem.

Not the most annoying thing in the world, hopefully just a software glitch they can work out.

Last edited by mbeezy13; 08-20-2023 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4655.00
couchgate133.00
      08-19-2023, 10:57 PM   #29
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

are you on idrive 8.5? (a bunch of quick access menu button on the bottom row vs. just home and AC for 8)

I had no problem with 8 but had similar issue after upgrading to 8.5
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 12:59 PM   #30
darryls
United_States
Rep

This is very clearly an iDrive 8.5 issue. No issues experienced before the upgrade to 8.5 on either my phone or my wife's phone. Now with 8.5, it happens to both of us every 2 days or so and is resolved by simply rebooting the infotainment unit.

My wife's phone is not using VPN like in the Microsoft Defender case mentioned above. Mine is. Same experience. It ain't a device or VPN issue...it's iDrive 8.5.
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2023, 02:21 PM   #31
vishster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

My dealership is recommending I bring the car in for service to try and fix this issue. I’m not sure that will accomplish much and am concerned it will be a waste of my time. Plus I don’t think they have a loaner for me to use either. Has anyone tried going in for service and did it fix anything?
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2023, 06:49 PM   #32
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 528i (sold); F44 M235 GC (

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishster View Post
My dealership is recommending I bring the car in for service to try and fix this issue. I’m not sure that will accomplish much and am concerned it will be a waste of my time. Plus I don’t think they have a loaner for me to use either. Has anyone tried going in for service and did it fix anything?
So my trip to the dealer fixed my emergency call issue by upgrading to 8.5. And since then, CarPlay does not work correctly. Something in iDrive 8.5 is it as many here have stated, as this was not an issue with iDrive 8 or my previous car, an M235 GC. Once 8.5 drops the CarPlay after a few days, it won’t reconnect without a reboot no matter how many times you try.

End of the world? No. Incredibly frustrating at this price point when a random rental from Hertz/Enterprise does not have this problem? Or any other BMW/Mini product before this upgrade? You betcha!

I’d say your time is better spent elsewhere until 8.5.1 comes out…
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2023, 05:06 PM   #33
charlesey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Add me to the list, I’m experiencing this issue as well with Idrive 8.5. And today I got a “could not connect phone, Bluetooth version not supported”

Just curious for anyone else having the issue, once CarPlay is connected, if you go under Bluetooth in iPhone does your car show “connected” or “not connected” mine says not connected but CarPlay is working.

Just trying to figure out what could it be
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2023, 07:36 PM   #34
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 528i (sold); F44 M235 GC (

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesey View Post
Add me to the list, I’m experiencing this issue as well with Idrive 8.5. And today I got a “could not connect phone, Bluetooth version not supported”

Just curious for anyone else having the issue, once CarPlay is connected, if you go under Bluetooth in iPhone does your car show “connected” or “not connected” mine says not connected but CarPlay is working.

Just trying to figure out what could it be
Will it pair/work with the Bluetooth connection only?

When CarPlay did work, it would show Bluetooth connected…unconnected…then connected when initially pairing, but it was always hit and miss with car play after that, as never went back into the phone menu to look.

Really think BMW will have to push an update here, as the Bluetooth only connection works like a champ - and with comfort access enabled, I’ll open the passenger door to place my work bag on the floorboard, and car/phone link starts right away. When CarPlay was working it was the same. Something about 8.5 isn’t holding the CarPlay side consistently yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 01:29 PM   #35
CEP36
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3 cs

I have the exact same problem on a 24 x5 50e with idrive 8.5

My wife and I have disabled Carplay for our phones and use Bluetooth which works flawlessly. (So far)

I also believe this is an idrive 8.5 issue.

My wife and I do not have a vpn, though I do have one on my phone, I leave it off 100% of the time.

Basically, don't use Carplay until an update is released!
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2023, 01:56 PM   #36
VikesX5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2024 X5 e50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP36 View Post
I have the exact same problem on a 24 x5 50e with idrive 8.5

My wife and I have disabled Carplay for our phones and use Bluetooth which works flawlessly. (So far)

I also believe this is an idrive 8.5 issue.

My wife and I do not have a vpn, though I do have one on my phone, I leave it off 100% of the time.

Basically, don't use Carplay until an update is released!
I tried changing the privacy settings to allow all and so far when CarPlay connects I get Hey Siri and Hey BMW by just speaking. I have found the disconnect to CarPlay happened also when speaking didn’t work and I tried long hold mic for Siri so I turned that off also. I was able to get 3 days of zero issues and will see when I get back from travel if it still works.

Worth a try check that. All all data for analytics and turn off long hold for Siri
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 05:56 AM   #37
nflbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

iDrive reset fixes Carplay issue

In my 2024 X5 50e, Carplay doesn't connect about 1/3 of the time I get in the car. I have found that if I do the soft reset (holding the volume button down to reset iDrive), Carplay works afterwards every time.

It's a very annoying issue but at least the reset fixes it.
Appreciate 1
VikesX529.00
      08-30-2023, 08:40 AM   #38
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

If you have not watched this........it's pretty informative
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 09:25 AM   #39
VikesX5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 e50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nflbmw View Post
In my 2024 X5 50e, Carplay doesn't connect about 1/3 of the time I get in the car. I have found that if I do the soft reset (holding the volume button down to reset iDrive), Carplay works afterwards every time.

It's a very annoying issue but at least the reset fixes it.
I thought I had it fixed because I had almost 5 days of successful connections and then it stopped again. The first time it stopped. I was on the phone walking into the car and it wouldn’t connect so I had to use speakerphone on my car. The second time it was a text message. I was trying to read it disconnected CarPlay and never came back and had to do a soft reset. I was able to figure out that when it is connected I can get “hey Siri” to work and that was with the privacy settings but I still have connection issues. I have not watch the video in this thread and hoping that will be a new solve.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #40
Boardmember
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Add me to this list. I’m heavily reliant on CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
VikesX529.00
      09-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #41
CEP36
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3 cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikesX5 View Post
I thought I had it fixed because I had almost 5 days of successful connections and then it stopped again. The first time it stopped. I was on the phone walking into the car and it wouldn’t connect so I had to use speakerphone on my car. The second time it was a text message. I was trying to read it disconnected CarPlay and never came back and had to do a soft reset. I was able to figure out that when it is connected I can get “hey Siri” to work and that was with the privacy settings but I still have connection issues. I have not watch the video in this thread and hoping that will be a new solve.

I tried what was suggested earlier too and thought it worked, but it failed for me too after a day.

For what its worth, my wife and I both use Iphone 12 pro max's with the latest iOS. (16.6) I am on Verizon and she is on ATT.

I would be interested to know if anyone's is working 100% of the time.
Appreciate 1
VikesX529.00
      09-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #42
VikesX5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 e50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEP36 View Post
I tried what was suggested earlier too and thought it worked, but it failed for me too after a day.

For what its worth, my wife and I both use Iphone 12 pro max's with the latest iOS. (16.6) I am on Verizon and she is on ATT.

I would be interested to know if anyone's is working 100% of the time.
I have an appointment in two weeks to have BMW look at my car and try to replicate the issue. Not sure they will be able to fix or do anything but need to start there. Huge hassle.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 06:14 PM   #43
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Back to the OP's question... does WIRED CarPlay work in this vehicle? I too am having regular issues with CarPlay forgetting my phone and I have to go in and re-select it again or reboot iDrive altogether.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 07:11 PM   #44
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
Back to the OP's question... does WIRED CarPlay work in this vehicle? I too am having regular issues with CarPlay forgetting my phone and I have to go in and re-select it again or reboot iDrive altogether.
no wired CarPlay support
Appreciate 0