United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogysbmw View Post
My tweeter and speaker lights don't shine nowhere near as bright as your image. Am a little disappointed in their lack of brightness compared to the rest of the vehicle
its pretty bright when its dark out, when its not completely dark I would agree the colors not as bright
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 12:26 AM   #156
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Does anyone know a shop in NY/ NJ, Massachusetts or CT area that is able to install this.
I'm not comfortable doing this myself.
Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 12:14 PM   #157
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

I ordered the B&W grills from the aliexpress links posted in this thread. Received the speaker covers yesterday and I'm very impressed with the quality.... they certainly do look OEM quality. Hoping to dig in and install everything over the next few days. FYI, the spelling of B&W is correct on the covers.... I saw some folks asking that in the thread.
Appreciate 1
boneca2015.50
      07-07-2022, 12:35 PM   #158
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
I ordered the B&W grills from the aliexpress links posted in this thread. Received the speaker covers yesterday and I'm very impressed with the quality.... they certainly do look OEM quality. Hoping to dig in and install everything over the next few days. FYI, the spelling of B&W is correct on the covers.... I saw some folks asking that in the thread.
have fun
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 01:52 PM   #159
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Goodluck with the install! Take your time and dont rush
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 07:52 AM   #160
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Goodluck with the install! Take your time and dont rush
Finally finished up the install of the covers and the Focal Inside Speakers in the center and all 4 doors. I took my time and it took me the better part of 2 days. The only thing I broke was the little cover on the side of the door that covers up the screw..... I actually think the window tinter broke it before me.

Anyway, it was not as easy as I thought. It's certainly doable, but you have to essentially take the entire door apart to get the old covers out..... the clip on that light bar was a beeotch. The center was kindof a pain to get that light cable fished through the dash. I found a good video on youtube that showed how to get the front trim piece off.

But end result is good, looks great and I haven't listened to it much, but Focal speakers seem to be a lot clearer and not so muddy sounding. I'm sure they will sound better after break-in. I set the tweeters to -3db on all 4 doors and that seems to be the right setting. I plan on eventually replacing the subs and adding the Match Up 10 DSP Amp but that will come later.

Thanks to everyone in this tread for the advice and tips!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-10-2022, 08:41 AM   #161
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Finally finished up the install of the covers and the Focal Inside Speakers in the center and all 4 doors. I took my time and it took me the better part of 2 days. The only thing I broke was the little cover on the side of the door that covers up the screw..... I actually think the window tinter broke it before me.

Anyway, it was not as easy as I thought. It's certainly doable, but you have to essentially take the entire door apart to get the old covers out..... the clip on that light bar was a beeotch. The center was kindof a pain to get that light cable fished through the dash. I found a good video on youtube that showed how to get the front trim piece off.

But end result is good, looks great and I haven't listened to it much, but Focal speakers seem to be a lot clearer and not so muddy sounding. I'm sure they will sound better after break-in. I set the tweeters to -3db on all 4 doors and that seems to be the right setting. I plan on eventually replacing the subs and adding the Match Up 10 DSP Amp but that will come later.

Looks good Ian

in about a month you will stop noticing this upgrade, its gonna feel as its been there from the beginning, which is great I assume.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #162
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Looks great man! Congrats on completing the beauty
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 03:33 AM   #163
benben19
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e G05

Just got mine from AliExpress and tried on the right front door. Does anyone having trouble clipping the tweeter cover back? Mine doesn’t seem to fit on the top? Also, my car comes with the Hi-Fi tweeter and there is the foam inside the cover behind the tweeter. When I swap the foam into the new B&W cover it doesn’t to fit that well. Does anyone else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #164
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benben19 View Post
Just got mine from AliExpress and tried on the right front door. Does anyone having trouble clipping the tweeter cover back? Mine doesn’t seem to fit on the top? Also, my car comes with the Hi-Fi tweeter and there is the foam inside the cover behind the tweeter. When I swap the foam into the new B&W cover it doesn’t to fit that well. Does anyone else have this problem?
I had the same issues. For the foam, I re-used the foam but you have to trim the bottom of it a little bit so it will clear the light tube and the plug.... after trimming it fits in there great around the tweeter and works fine.

And for the top clip, those new B&W tweeter covers are really tight. They do fit, it just takes a little more massaging to get them on there. Just watch that clip on the top and be careful not to bend it or break it. I had to grab the cover and flex it open while I was installing it and eventually I got it..... just takes a little patience to get it right.

Hope that helps. I switched all of mine out and it took the better part of 2 days. Not hard, but just takes time and I was very careful not to break anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #165
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

I ended up breaking one of the tweeter light tubes that stick out when i tried to put the foam in. My heart sunk, but i was able to use some tape and tape it back as best I can and no issues since. Though i am running without the foam peices in the tweeter pods on both doors... sounds fine. Not sure how much better it would sound with the foam, but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #166
benben19
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e G05

Thanks SpiralOut and elite-fusion . Over the weekend I swapped my left cover and leave the foam out. It is really tight and everything holds together. However, after close comparison I felt my right tweeter with foam sounds more surrounded or maybe just my illusion. Anyway, I end up with trimming the bottom of the foam and put it back, but still stuck on the top. Then I pretty much trimmed the entire foam then it was all good.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #167
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Glad I found this thread! I’m in the process of installing these covers along with my BAVSound stage2 kit.

Question:

- The kit came with (I’m assuming) shitty tweeters. They had what appears to be a diffuser around the tweeter. Should I waste time transplanting this over to my BAV tweeter? The clips don’t hold the BAV tweeter property and I’ll likely need to glue it..

- OP: You mentioned the existing covers are glued in? What did you cut to remove them? Were the original covers permanently damaged as a result?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #168
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Glad I found this thread! I’m in the process of installing these covers along with my BAVSound stage2 kit.

Question:

- The kit came with (I’m assuming) shitty tweeters. They had what appears to be a diffuser around the tweeter. Should I waste time transplanting this over to my BAV tweeter? The clips don’t hold the BAV tweeter property and I’ll likely need to glue it..

- OP: You mentioned the existing covers are glued in? What did you cut to remove them? Were the original covers permanently damaged as a result?
The covers are plastic welded. You should be able to reuse the original ones if you need in the future by using the screws and washers as the new grills will be attached.

The tweeters in the piller of the grills are not glued but the K2 speakers I used were NOT tight but in my case, were tight enough to put them in and forget about them. So far so good with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 03:31 PM   #169
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Question:

The covers are plastic welded. You should be able to reuse the original ones if you need in the future by using the screws and washers as the new grills will be attached.

The tweeters in the piller of the grills are not glued but the K2 speakers I used were NOT tight but in my case, were tight enough to put them in and forget about them. So far so good with no issues.
Thanks!

Are these the plastic welds? What's the best way to break the weld without damaging the oem cover? (See attachment)
Attached Images

08-22-2022, 06:41 PM   #170
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Are these the plastic welds? What's the best way to break the weld without damaging the oem cover? (See attachment)
I dont remember which welds exactly, but yes, those are the type of welds.. Just take a drill bit (dont remember which size exactly, but I posted it somewhere in this thread of which one I used) with a little pressure to break / drill through the weld, and you'll then see under the weld there is a similar hole for a screw as seen in the B&W grills as well, so you'd be able to reattach the original grills back using the screws and washers from the B&W kit if you ever decide to go back.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 11:34 PM   #171
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Man what a huge PITA lol. My biggest hang up was not being able to remove the cover no matter what I did. I literally checked, double checked and triple checked that I removed all the necessary screws and plastic welds.

My issue was that I needed to remove the trim pieces above the speaker cover (The CF trim and the silver light trim).

Hopefully I'll be done tomorrow.. The centre speaker grill looks like a PITA to hook up.
      08-23-2022, 06:36 AM   #172
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Man what a huge PITA lol. My biggest hang up was not being able to remove the cover no matter what I did. I literally checked, double checked and triple checked that I removed all the necessary screws and plastic welds.

My issue was that I needed to remove the trim pieces above the speaker cover (The CF trim and the silver light trim).

Hopefully I'll be done tomorrow.. The centre speaker grill looks like a PITA to hook up.
Yeah it sure is a pain in the ass to remove all the things, especially with the silver trim piece with the light, totally agree lol but worth it in the end.

Center is easy to remove, but yes, a bitch to hookup. You will have to take off the center dash trim piece that goes across with the vents. Once it is off, you need to feed the wire from the top speaker down the vent hole (biggest pita i think) then to the right where the dash trim is and hook it up there, then tuck the wires and place the trim piece back. Remember, there are 2 screws on the right hand side of the dash. Open the passanger door, pop the side trim cover off (where you wpuld noemally find the fuse box in some cars just on the passanger side) and you will find 2 screws to be removed before you can start pulling off the dash cf trim with led.
Appreciate 1
-cj-200.00
      08-25-2022, 04:18 PM   #173
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it sure is a pain in the ass to remove all the things, especially with the silver trim piece with the light, totally agree lol but worth it in the end.

Center is easy to remove, but yes, a bitch to hookup. You will have to take off the center dash trim piece that goes across with the vents. Once it is off, you need to feed the wire from the top speaker down the vent hole (biggest pita i think) then to the right where the dash trim is and hook it up there, then tuck the wires and place the trim piece back. Remember, there are 2 screws on the right hand side of the dash. Open the passanger door, pop the side trim cover off (where you wpuld noemally find the fuse box in some cars just on the passanger side) and you will find 2 screws to be removed before you can start pulling off the dash cf trim with led.
Thanks!! This was very helpful.

I fished some wire down the port and used it to pull the purple led lead. Took 5 minutes! But days of mental preparing for dealing with the center channel hahah!

Question for you. Did you have to transplant your oem clips for the center speaker grill? Mine came with no clips and I'm not sure how easy the oem ones come off (see pic)

Edit: nvm, it was actually very easy to move the clips over.
Attached Images

08-25-2022, 07:00 PM   #174
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I fished some wire down the port and used it to pull the purple led lead. Took 5 minutes! But days of mental preparing for dealing with the center channel hahah!

Question for you. Did you have to transplant your oem clips for the center speaker grill? Mine came with no clips and I'm not sure how easy the oem ones come off (see pic)

Hey, congrats glad it worked out and glad I was able to help!
and yes, you did need to transplant the clips from the stock one to this one
Appreciate 1
-cj-200.00
      08-25-2022, 11:21 PM   #175
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey, congrats glad it worked out and glad I was able to help!
and yes, you did need to transplant the clips from the stock one to this one
So I thought I was done. I did the driver door and proceeded counter clockwise around the car. (Stopping to do the center channel before I continued with passenger side).

Anyways, tonight I finished up on the passenger front side. When I went to test, most of my door ambient lighting strips stopped working.

I remember reading about someone else having this problem but I don't recall the outcome. I know it had something to do with the purple Y cables. I'm drawing power from two different purple connectors, instead of daisy chaining them. Is that the correct approach? I'm going to double check the passenger side tomorrow in case I did something wrong..

I upgraded my speakers and grills at the same time.. this is taking a hell of a lot longer than I planned :

Thanks again!
      08-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #176
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So I thought I was done. I did the driver door and proceeded counter clockwise around the car. (Stopping to do the center channel before I continued with passenger side).

Anyways, tonight I finished up on the passenger front side. When I went to test, most of my door ambient lighting strips stopped working.

I remember reading about someone else having this problem but I don't recall the outcome. I know it had something to do with the purple Y cables. I'm drawing power from two different purple connectors, instead of daisy chaining them. Is that the correct approach? I'm going to double check the passenger side tomorrow in case I did something wrong..

I upgraded my speakers and grills at the same time.. this is taking a hell of a lot longer than I planned :

Thanks again!
I think I may have had a similar issue at one point, and I too replaced the speakers during the same time... PITA is an understatement.

I had one of the doors not work, and what i actually noticed is that I had the ambient lighting interact with other car functions (forgot what its called, but thats when the lighting flashes when something happens or some other things), well anyways, when i plugged it all back in, i noticed the door strip / grill was not working, as if the connector was unplugged or not getting good contact. after playing around with it, i swapped the both Y ends between the two locations they connect to, but that didnt solve the issue, then I turned the car on and the light turned on, so i think it may have to do with the feature mentioned above or the fact that the car was not powered on? I dont remember the exact situation, but it had to do with me swapping the Y ends at one point.

Also, if you get the lights in that single door flashing red as if you did something wrong, thats definitely due to the feature mentioned above. the doors usually flash red if they are open.

I know it may be a bit confusing but let me know if you need any more clarity =P
Appreciate 1
-cj-200.00