BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #45
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Three questions:

- Do you have to recode everything everytime you take it to the dealer/update the car software? Does it reset back to default settings whenever these are done?

- Isn't there a code for anti-dazzle headlights? IMO this is the biggest reason why people code, correct?

- What's the point of activating the B&W sound options on a vehicle not equipped and B&W speakers?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #46
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkrups20056 View Post
Three questions:

- Do you have to recode everything everytime you take it to the dealer/update the car software? Does it reset back to default settings whenever these are done?
- Isn't there a code for anti-dazzle headlights? IMO this is the biggest reason why people code, correct?
- What's the point of activating the B&W sound options on a vehicle not equipped and B&W speakers?
1) having to recode after an update isn't cut and dry. the number of recodes depends what modules the update affects. one can expect to recode some as they reset to default.
2) coding anti dazzle onto US headlights does not make it function 100% like the EU because the hardware have some differences. it's not a simple code either. actually, very few US folks have coded this because of that fact. coding popularity varies: instrument cluster logo, layout, startup screen, alarm sounds, ASS, windows interrupter, remote tailgate, seat belt reminder… the list goes on.
3) if I recall correctly, B&W and HK share the same amp, but other than the obvious speaker differences, the intimate differences escapes me. one can take advantage of B&W's DSP options. I noticed an improvement in my HK system, but it likely won't improve the HiFi system because of its inherent limitations.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 08:09 PM   #47
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
1)
3) if I recall correctly, B&W and HK share the same amp, but other than the obvious speaker differences, the intimate differences escapes me. one can take advantage of B&W's DSP options. I noticed an improvement in my HK system, but it likely won't improve the HiFi system because of its inherent limitations.
The 2 systems can't share the same amp. The HK is about 700 watts and the B&W is about 1500 watts. Huge difference.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4696.50
      07-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #48
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
The 2 systems can't share the same amp. The HK is about 700 watts and the B&W is about 1500 watts. Huge difference.
you're absolutely correct. thanks!

in my search to confirm they share one thing similar, I found that both amps are made by HK.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 03:11 AM   #49
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
ADVANCED CRASH SAFETY MODULE
• initial seat belt reminder after start NOT ACTIVE

BODY DOMAIN CONTROLLER
• auto mirror tilt value 60%
• brake force display 10km/h
• fog light off with high beams NOT ACTIVE
• window lifter interruption NOT ACTIVE
• rain-light-sensor sensitivity NORMAL

HEADUNIT
• EXPERT MODE: B & W sound settings: 3002 AUDIO_BROADCAST > AUDIO_SYSTEM > alev4_ram
• EXPERT MODE: B & W sound profiles: 3000 HMI_SPEECH > HIGH_END_AUDIO_B_UND_W > volle_insz
• iDrive startup animation M VARIANT 1
• one-touch turn signal 5 times ACTIVE
• tire pressure control PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE
• video in motion ACTIVE
• warning at start-up NOT ACTIVE

ROOF FUNCTION CENTER
• alarm sound EU

SEAT MODULE DRIVER/PASSENGER
• seat heating/cooling setting memory UNLIMITED

TAILGATE FUNCTION MODULE
• close tailgate with remote without long press NOT ACTIVE
• tailgate via remote OPEN AND CLOSE
• warning sound when closing the tailgate with remote ACTIVE
nZtiZia which ones of the above have been changed from default vaues? Also, what is this "window lifter interruption" option?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 05:02 AM   #50
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
nZtiZia which ones of the above have been changed from default vaues? Also, what is this "window lifter interruption" option?
all of them. the purpose of coding is to change things. this is my list of changes.

by default, the window will stop closing if you open the door while it's closing using the auto-close function. i coded it to continue closing if i open the door.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #51
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
all of them. the purpose of coding is to change things. this is my list of changes.

by default, the window will stop closing if you open the door while it's closing using the auto-close function. i coded it to continue closing if i open the door.
Yes, that's what I thought. So, "close tailgate with remote without long press" is active by default?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:27 PM   #52
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
coding anti dazzle onto US headlights does not make it function 100% like the EU because the hardware have some differences.
Are there any hardware differences anymore? Canada allows anti-dazzle now and from my understanding the same part number is used for Canada and US headlights and only the software differences remain.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #53
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Are there any hardware differences anymore? Canada allows anti-dazzle now and from my understanding the same part number is used for Canada and US headlights and only the software differences remain.
the full performance of anti-dazzle occurs in EU models, so the correct question to ask is if Canadian anti-dazzle performs exactly the same as EU anti-dazzle despite hardware differences between these two markets. (i wouldn't compare with the US where anti-dazzle isn't supported as evidenced by both hardware and software differences from the EU.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
Yes, that's what I thought. So, "close tailgate with remote without long press" is active by default?
nope, by default we can't close the tailgate with the key fob at all.

closing the tailgate with the key fob requires 2 codes:
• tailgate via remote OPEN or OPEN AND CLOSE
(the default is OPEN)

the second code is responsible for specific button-tailgate closure behavior.
• close tailgate with remote without long press ACTIVE or NOT ACTIVE
ACTIVE = after a long press of the key fob tailgate button, the tailgate closes, and you can't stop it mid-travel even if you release the button.
NOT ACTIVE = after a long press of the key fob tailgate button, the tailgate closes, but you can stop it mid-travel by releasing the button
**the wording of the second code is not intuitive, likely lost in its translation to English (the main developer is from EU)

Last edited by nZtiZia; 07-28-2021 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
4ML INC65.50
      07-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #54
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the full performance of anti-dazzle occurs in EU models, so the correct question to ask is if Canadian anti-dazzle performs exactly the same as EU anti-dazzle despite hardware differences between these two markets. (i wouldn't compare with the US where anti-dazzle isn't supported as evidenced by both hardware and software differences from the EU.

nope, by default we can't close the tailgate with the key fob at all.

closing the tailgate with the key fob requires 2 codes:
• tailgate via remote OPEN or OPEN AND CLOSE
(the default is OPEN only)

the second code is responsible for specific button-tailgate closure behavior.
• close tailgate with remote without long press ACTIVE or NOT ACTIVE
ACTIVE = after a long press of the key fob tailgate button, the tailgate closes, and you can't stop it mid-travel even if you release the button.
NOT ACTIVE = after a long press of the key fob tailgate button, the tailgate closes, but you can stop it mid-travel by releasing the button
**the wording of the second code is not intuitive, likely lost in its translation to English (the main developer is from EU)
Thanks. Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #55
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
the full performance of anti-dazzle occurs in EU models, so the correct question to ask is if Canadian anti-dazzle performs exactly the same as EU anti-dazzle despite hardware differences between these two markets. (i wouldn't compare with the US where anti-dazzle isn't supported as evidenced by both hardware and software differences from the EU.)
Now that NewTIS is gone I can't do a quick part number search to compare, but I'm curious to know the reality here. If the part number is the same between EU LHD and NA markets then there isn't a hardware difference and it is purely in software.

What would the hardware difference be that you think is present? The primary feature of the anti-dazzle is headlight swiveling to move the beam away from the view of other drivers and the other is turning beams on and off. We have 4 lights in the US and each support movement as shown by the movement taken during startup.

Although it is possible BMW makes a US specific (or NA specific) headlight it seems less likely to me. As then why would they have to decode the cars when they could just skip adding the hardware features that aren't needed and skip decoding altogether?
Appreciate 1
4ML INC65.50
      07-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #56
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For those who haven't coded, something to think about

you could be right! I don't really follow this feature so I may have glanced through applicable threads incorrectly. maybe I got confused in the functionality of anti dazzle between standard LED headlights and the laser headlights. maybe LexxM3 or @ifr can set me straight

Last edited by nZtiZia; 07-28-2021 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #57
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Thanks. It looks like two pieces - the ENET adapter is one and the Ethernet to USB adapter is the second one. Either BimmerCode or BimmerLink apps could be used with your hardware.

Looks like the OBDLink CX is about $60. This cable is linked on the Bimmercode site Ethernet to OBD Cable and I found this one to convert to USB Ethernet to USB Adapter
Seems cheaper and faster to go with the cables instead of the Bluetooth OBDLink CX
Anker is a good brand. Make sure your phone or tablet has a USB-C connector to use this adapter.
I have the cables and got Ethernet tethering to work but can't figure out which adapter to set in Bimmercode. NVM, when I scrolled up the ENET option appeared
      08-06-2021, 12:48 AM   #58
jakenstein
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lexus RC F, 2022 BMW X5

Light on - light off, I don't think I would care. ASS sounds like it is a pain in the ass and turning it off permanently will be high on my list when I receive my 2022 X5.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #59
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Now that NewTIS is gone I can't do a quick part number search to compare, but I'm curious to know the reality here. If the part number is the same between EU LHD and NA markets then there isn't a hardware difference and it is purely in software.

What would the hardware difference be that you think is present? The primary feature of the anti-dazzle is headlight swiveling to move the beam away from the view of other drivers and the other is turning beams on and off. We have 4 lights in the US and each support movement as shown by the movement taken during startup.

Although it is possible BMW makes a US specific (or NA specific) headlight it seems less likely to me. As then why would they have to decode the cars when they could just skip adding the hardware features that aren't needed and skip decoding altogether?
I believe the difference between European and NA specs have to do with light intensity. From a AAA report (it 68 pages long) European low beams are a couple percentage point dimmer than NA but European high beams are up to 15% brighter than NA. I would have to assume rest of mechanical feature should be same in both markets, like you state, dealership have to decode or basically turn off anti-dazzle before we take delivery. I have the Laser type head lights and they all swivel significantly in the morning when I leave for work (at 5AM). My neighbors garage door is directly across from mine at about 80 yards and my headlights must move to full up and down as well as left to right and it really lights up his door once they go to home position.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 06:35 AM   #60
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
you're absolutely correct. thanks!

in my search to confirm they share one thing similar, I found that both amps are made by HK.
To follow up on this particular piece of this thread. I had previously noticed while coding other items, an option under head unit control unit something about B & W coding. So, I went back and connected up to my X5 and sure enough there was a coding option related to B&W. But I have HK system. So, I went in it and there was a note stating that in order to this to work you had to have the HK system. I had to assume that when the BimmerCode read my contents within my VIN number vehicle or it would not be there. So, I selected the “active” option and coded it. What it did was to add five dynamic listening selection to my sound screen. And in fact, they seem to work really well. I can’t remember exact words, but they were to effect of “Studio, Concert, On Stage, Theater, and Lounge”. Actually, the whole HK system seemed to improve sound quality. Equalizer seemed more responsive too. This all was from the basic coding function NOT the Expert mode (Which I have never even looked at) One thing which was great was in the “Theater” setting, if you play a full 5:1 surround sound movie, you get full surround sound affects in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #61
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yup, these are the same features that show up if you were to EXPERT code (before the option became available more easily in the modules).

**one little thing I noticed is that the background image after B&W coding looks like perforated leather.

I agree with the HK sounding more improved after these changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #62
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yup, these are the same features that show up if you were to EXPERT code (before the option became available more easily in the modules).

**one little thing I noticed is that the background image after B&W coding looks like perforated leather.

Good to know. I have HK but skipped the B&W coding for the first pass. Now I'll go back and add it in. Question, is it reversible?
      08-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #63
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Good to know. I have HK but skipped the B&W coding for the first pass. Now I'll go back and add it in. Question, is it reversible?
yup. u can run the most recent backup which is a 'snapshot' of the system prior to the last coding, or you can re-select the default setting(s) then code again.
Appreciate 1
JimVR4337.50
      08-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #64
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I enabled it and got the 5 options for surround. I had to re-enable VIM as well. Now I need to figure out how to play one of my surround music tracks
      08-10-2021, 07:15 AM   #65
Shawzy44
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

The image is actually a representation of a B&W speaker grill.

2024 BMW X1 28i
2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW 440iX M Performance Cabriolet
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4696.50
      08-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #66
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Quote: