BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2024, 05:42 PM   #1
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Oak Ridge National Lab

Oak Ridge National Lab has been working on wireless EV charging for many years. In 2018, they demonstrated on a lab bench a prototype that passed 120Kw with a 6” gap into a simulated vehicle at 97% efficiency. Recently, they improved on that with 100Kw into a Kia with a 5” gap with 98% efficiency. BMW, along with a few other manufacturers, have been working on versions of similar devices. It seems that the ORNL may be the furthest along, and are about ready to license that tech to willing partners,

While I’ve never felt the few seconds it takes to plug in as being a problem, some have stressed that it is just too inconvenient for them to fathom even considering it. We may start to see this tech available in the next few years, and for some, it would be a big deal. It’s still a ways away from having a powered roadway, but there are prototypes of those out there…charge as you drive with those.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 12:15 PM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Charge as you drive would be a game changer and would (may?) convince me to get an EV.. I can't imagine the infrastructure needed to make it happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 07:59 PM   #3
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Wireless charging is a big deal. Nobody plugs things like cell phones in anymore, it's inconvenient and the charge ports always wear out.

Pulling into your parking spot and it automatically charges wirelessly, that's a huge improvement for ease of use.
Appreciate 0