BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2023, 09:11 AM   #1
@992seefouress
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6M Comp. '21 Porsche 911

Garage List
Adding Driver Assistance Professional after purchase

I purchased my ‘24 X6MC off of the showroom floor so I didn’t get to spec it myself. While Driver’s assistance package is standard, I didn’t realize at the time that adaptive cruise control was not included in that package.
Has anyone heard of being able to purchase Drivers Assistance Professional programmed after purchase ( seems like it would be just a software update).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 01:28 PM   #2
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

It’s more than just software coding. There’s a front radar sensor, different grill, steering wheel, wiring harnesses and much more.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2023, 02:34 PM   #3
DonKeedic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

That BMW doesn't equip every vehicle with adaptive cruise control is absurd.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 01:58 AM   #4
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW F95 X5 M competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by @992seefouress View Post
I purchased my ‘24 X6MC off of the showroom floor so I didn’t get to spec it myself. While Driver’s assistance package is standard, I didn’t realize at the time that adaptive cruise control was not included in that package.
Has anyone heard of being able to purchase Drivers Assistance Professional programmed after purchase ( seems like it would be just a software update).

Thanks!
So I don’t think it’s possible to add it as an aftermarket. I had a similar issue when I leased my 2022g80 xdrive. It was the spec from the dealer and without the “assistance driving package pro.” I had a 2021 Lexus is350 Fsport before the 22 G80 and it had adaptive cruise control as a standard option, and the same with my brother’s previous car (2017 Subaru legacy). I could be wrong but it also seems as though bmw’s technology for assisted driving is integrated with the adaptive cruise and/or the setup is completely different as the previous member informed about wiring harnesses and that large octagonal box in the front grills. I’ve also heard some people not getting the package because of how that looks on the front of G80’s.
Now I drive what I consider an exceptional amount and realized it was a necessity for me and traded in the car for an x5M with the package. I must say that it’s really helpful to me given how much I drive regularly. If you don’t drive much or encounter much traffic then I don’t think it’s worth the hassle and in which case you won’t even realize it’s missing when hitting the gas or taking tight turns in that beast!
      07-03-2023, 05:36 AM   #5
@992seefouress
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily_drivX5M View Post
So I don’t think it’s possible to add it as an aftermarket. I had a similar issue when I leased my 2022g80 xdrive. It was the spec from the dealer and without the “assistance driving package pro.” I had a 2021 Lexus is350 Fsport before the 22 G80 and it had adaptive cruise control as a standard option, and the same with my brother’s previous car (2017 Subaru legacy). I could be wrong but it also seems as though bmw’s technology for assisted driving is integrated with the adaptive cruise and/or the setup is completely different as the previous member informed about wiring harnesses and that large octagonal box in the front grills. I’ve also heard some people not getting the package because of how that looks on the front of G80’s.
Now I drive what I consider an exceptional amount and realized it was a necessity for me and traded in the car for an x5M with the package. I must say that it’s really helpful to me given how much I drive regularly. If you don’t drive much or encounter much traffic then I don’t think it’s worth the hassle and in which case you won’t even realize it’s missing when hitting the gas or taking tight turns in that beast!
Agreed! I have an ‘20 M550i and love the adaptive cruise control on it for long drives. I was so surprised when I realized after the fact that the X6M had just standard cruise control ( my fault- this car was an impulse buy). The steering wheel on the Driver assistance vs assistance professional has two differently labeled buttons to adjust for the following distance. I guess what threw me off was that I have the large octagonal unit and grille on the X6M and assumed incorrectly that it had adaptive cruise control. Though I love everything else about this beast!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-03-2023, 10:00 AM   #6
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Agreed! I have an ‘20 M550i and love the adaptive cruise control on it for long drives. I was so surprised when I realized after the fact that the X6M had just standard cruise control ( my fault- this car was an impulse buy). The steering wheel on the Driver assistance vs assistance professional has two differently labeled buttons to adjust for the following distance. I guess what threw me off was that I have the large octagonal unit and grille on the X6M and assumed incorrectly that it had adaptive cruise control. Though I love everything else about this beast!
That’s interesting, it does. Do you have a picture of the steering wheel? My assisted driving wasn’t initially working on my 23 g80 because I had to go into idrive8 to actually turn it on before I ever was able to use it. That being said, adaptive cruise worked on it from day 1, so I’m curious to see what’s the layout of the buttons on your steering.
      07-03-2023, 10:07 AM   #7
@992seefouress
United_States
Rep

Garage List
X6M steering wheel has differently labeled buttons compared to the M550 steering wheel with Drivers’s assistance Professional.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-03-2023, 10:19 AM   #8
Daily_drivX5M
Certified
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
X6M steering wheel has differently labeled buttons compared to the M550 steering wheel with Drivers’s assistance Professional.
I’d check with the dealership to see if hardware for the package exists on your car as it looks like there’s some sensor being protected by the box in your grill. It could be that bmw only mass produced the grills containing a space for the sensor and placed boxes regardless. I agree that steering wheel indicates that the feature isn’t on your car. Also bmw needs to make this standard across all their cars
      07-03-2023, 10:23 AM   #9
@992seefouress
United_States
Rep

Garage List
100% agree, basic adaptive cruise control should be standard - especially on a car that starts at $127k!
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2023, 11:24 AM   #10
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
100% agree, basic adaptive cruise control should be standard - especially on a car that starts at $127k!
Agreed, but seems all of the German cars are this way. The Mercedes doesn't even have rear sun shades unless you pay for them. Hyundais are better equipped standard.
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2023, 02:31 PM   #11
vitipr
Vitipr
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Did you ask bmw genius? I have the same steering wheel buttons but I have the Driving Assitance Executive Pkg. buttons are different because some settings are now within the i8 system.
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2023, 03:18 PM   #12
PacShakur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
Agreed, but seems all of the German cars are this way. The Mercedes doesn't even have rear sun shades unless you pay for them. Hyundais are better equipped standard.
Hyundais are also better equipped in getting stolen with minimum effort from your driveway.
Appreciate 2