BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2023, 12:43 PM   #45
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X6M Competition

Considering that the XM now has includes this feature as standard, it seems logical to consider retrofitting it into older models. The absence of Highway Assistance in all other M vehicles suggests there might be a specific reason for this distinction.
9/29 - Placed order | 10/12 - Received allocation (status 112) | 10/31 - Placed Individual Paint Order | 11/7 - Individual Order approved (Status 102) | 1/8 - Scheduled for production (status 112) | 1/25 - Production Starts (status 150) | 2/8 - Entering Assembly (status 153) | 2/9 - In Transit (status 195) | 2/13 - Accepted Delivery
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 01:04 PM   #46
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Apologies. I thought this thread was part of the XM forum since I was tagged in it. You can also find your head unit version inside iDrive In the regulations section. If it says MGU 21, than Highway Assistant will not be an option. If it says MGU 22 and you have purchased the driver assistance professional package, then you should be able to take advantage of highway assistant.
Unfortunately not the case for X5M / X6M... All 2024 LCI F95/F96 have the MGU22 head unit, so they do have the hardware capability for Highway Assist (this was confirmed in a different thread back in the spring). G05/G06 cars have Highway Assist as part of Drive Assist Pro, which is indicated by a $2100 option price. But F95/F96 cars do not get Highway Assist as part of Drive Assist Pro, which is indicated by a $1700 option price. I had several conversations with BMW on the subject and was told it was because the software integration for the M variant wasn't complete. This implies that it could be pushed OTA at a later date, but I'm guessing that since we technically didn't pay for it, we won't be getting it for free.

So the telltale to look for if you're ordering a new X5M/X6M is the option price for Drive Assist Pro. If it's the same as the non-M price, then maybe they've finally rolled it out for new builds. If different, then it's not going to be there. As of today on BMWUSA.com, it's a different price for the full M.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 01:18 PM   #47
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
Unfortunately not the case for X5M / X6M... All 2024 LCI F95/F96 have the MGU22 head unit, so they do have the hardware capability for Highway Assist (this was confirmed in a different thread back in the spring). G05/G06 cars have Highway Assist as part of Drive Assist Pro, which is indicated by a $2100 option price. But F95/F96 cars do not get Highway Assist as part of Drive Assist Pro, which is indicated by a $1700 option price. I had several conversations with BMW on the subject and was told it was because the software integration for the M variant wasn't complete. This implies that it could be pushed OTA at a later date, but I'm guessing that since we technically didn't pay for it, we won't be getting it for free.

So the telltale to look for if you're ordering a new X5M/X6M is the option price for Drive Assist Pro. If it's the same as the non-M price, then maybe they've finally rolled it out for new builds. If different, then it's not going to be there. As of today on BMWUSA.com, it's a different price for the full M.
Not sure how I got looped into an X5 thread, But the MGU 22 head unit is what’s required for highway assistant In addition to driver assistance professional. This may vary from model to model across the BMW lineup, but that is 100% the head unit you have to have. It will not work with the MGU 21 head unit.

There’s a reason they changed from the MGU 21 head unit on almost every vehicle even only a year or two into production on some of the vehicles - especially on the EV platforms. They were severely underpowered and could barely run iDrive 8. The MGU 22 head unit has dual CPUs and double the memory.

By the way, you can’t necessarily be 100% confident at everything BMW Genius says. They have given people the wrong information on multiple occasions. If you would like me to bore you to death with specifications on both head units, I’ve got time. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 04:29 PM   #48
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how I got looped into an X5 thread, But the MGU 22 head unit is what’s required for highway assistant In addition to driver assistance professional. This may vary from model to model across the BMW lineup, but that is 100% the head unit you have to have. It will not work with the MGU 21 head unit.

There’s a reason they changed from the MGU 21 head unit on almost every vehicle even only a year or two into production on some of the vehicles - especially on the EV platforms. They were severely underpowered and could barely run iDrive 8. The MGU 22 head unit has dual CPUs and double the memory.

By the way, you can’t necessarily be 100% confident at everything BMW Genius says. They have given people the wrong information on multiple occasions. If you would like me to bore you to death with specifications on both head units, I’ve got time. 😂😂😂
I think we both agree that you have to have MGU22 to run Highway Assist. And we've established as a community that all 2024 X5/X6 cars have that head unit (my 2024 X5M certainly does, and it was a very early build). So it comes down to BMW making the functionality available to the M community, which so far they have only done on the XM, not the X5M/X6M.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 05:35 PM   #49
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think we both agree that you have to have MGU22 to run Highway Assist. And we've established as a community that all 2024 X5/X6 cars have that head unit (my 2024 X5M certainly does, and it was a very early build). So it comes down to BMW making the functionality available to the M community, which so far they have only done on the XM, not the X5M/X6M.
That’s not entirely true. It arrived on the iX and i4 platforms (assuming properly optioned) in March when they received the new head unit. If your vehicle has highway assistant, it will be a line item on your build sheet/window sticker.

Any 2024 with the MGU 22 head unit should have it if it also has driver assistance professional. While I can’t be entirely sure about every single model in BMWs lineup, every 2024 I looked at that had this head unit had that feature too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 07:12 PM   #50
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s not entirely true. It arrived on the iX and i4 platforms (assuming properly optioned) in March when they received the new head unit. If your vehicle has highway assistant, it will be a line item on your build sheet/window sticker.

Any 2024 with the MGU 22 head unit should have it if it also has driver assistance professional. While I can’t be entirely sure about every single model in BMWs lineup, every 2024 I looked at that had this head unit had that feature too.
lol I think you should read his response again, the iX and i4 are not M cars.
9/29 - Placed order | 10/12 - Received allocation (status 112) | 10/31 - Placed Individual Paint Order | 11/7 - Individual Order approved (Status 102) | 1/8 - Scheduled for production (status 112) | 1/25 - Production Starts (status 150) | 2/8 - Entering Assembly (status 153) | 2/9 - In Transit (status 195) | 2/13 - Accepted Delivery
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 07:14 PM   #51
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanseric21 View Post
lol I think you should read his response again, the iX and i4 are not M cars.
Exactly, but he made it seem like this feature was only available on certain M models which is clearly not the case. At this point I’m sorry I even responded to the thread. I was just trying to help. #Fail

Every new vehicle will get it eventually.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 07:21 PM   #52
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, but he made it seem like this feature was only available on certain M models which is clearly not the case. At this point I’m sorry I even responded to the thread. I was just trying to help #Fail
I value your input, so please don't take offense. To clarify, he mentioned that the 2024 X5/X6(non-M models) are equipped with the new head unit and can option highway assistance. However, among the M models, the XM is the only one that offers this feature. Hopefully that helps to clarify.
Appreciate 1
aug0211167.50
      11-20-2023, 07:24 PM   #53
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I value your input, so please don't take offense. To clarify, he mentioned that the 2024 X5/X6(non-M models) are equipped with the new head unit and can option highway assistance. However, among the M models, the XM is the only one that offers this feature. Hopefully that helps to clarify.
Appreciate the response. Thank you for saying that . Since his vehicle has hardware that’s capable, perhaps they will offer it as a purchase through the ConnectedDrive store. I missed the cutoff on my 2023 iX M60 by a couple of months when that feature was added to the lineup. After having it for the last month on my XM Label, it’s a game changer.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2023, 07:58 PM   #54
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry if I made it seem like I was trying to generalize to any model beyond the current X5 range; that was not my intent.

Here's my window sticker from our early June build 2024 X5M, where you can see Drive Assist Pro for the reduced $1700 price and no Highway Assist. I'm not trying to be antagonistic; just wanting to avoid confusion since as of November 2023, the X5M and X6M are outliers in having the updated MGU22 head unit but no current availability of Highway Assist. I can only assume that's a conscious decision by BMW rather than a limitation of the hardware since it works in other applications.

I did the iDrive 8.5 OTA upgrade over the weekend and can sadly confirm Highway Assist was not added as part of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2023, 08:40 PM   #55
evanseric21
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the response. Thank you for saying that . Since his vehicle has hardware that’s capable, perhaps they will offer it as a purchase through the ConnectedDrive store. I missed the cutoff on my 2023 iX M60 by a couple of months when that feature was added to the lineup. After having it for the last month on my XM Label, it’s a game changer.
Hopefully they add it to the ConnectedDrive store. I have not taken delivery of my 24 X6M Comp yet but would love to have this feature. It seems like a game changer for sure!
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2023, 08:43 PM   #56
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hopefully they add it to the ConnectedDrive store. I have not taken delivery of my 24 X6M Comp yet but would love to have this feature. It seems like a game changer for sure!
That’s a beautiful car. I had an X6 once before and always wanted an X6M. I actually considered one for my most recent acquisition, but I could not find one configured the way I wanted it, so I ended up with this XM Label instead. Congrats on your new ride. It will be awesome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #57
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry if I made it seem like I was trying to generalize to any model beyond the current X5 range; that was not my intent.

Here's my window sticker from our early June build 2024 X5M, where you can see Drive Assist Pro for the reduced $1700 price and no Highway Assist. I'm not trying to be antagonistic; just wanting to avoid confusion since as of November 2023, the X5M and X6M are outliers in having the updated MGU22 head unit but no current availability of Highway Assist. I can only assume that's a conscious decision by BMW rather than a limitation of the hardware since it works in other applications.

I did the iDrive 8.5 OTA upgrade over the weekend and can sadly confirm Highway Assist was not added as part of it.
Glad we got that cleared up period. FYI, this feature has nothing to do with the iDrive version. I find it very strange that BMW is not more consistent with their option package names and Included options across the entire lineup. The iX got the feature immediately when the head unit was changed over in March which was before iDrive 8.5 even came out. Hopefully it will be offered as an upgrade for you on the ConnectedDrive store.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #58
swiego29382
Private
Rep
Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

I have some experience with the design of these systems. I suspect we will not get it on the X5MC and have two suspicions for why it was not made available for our vehicles but does show up in say the M60i.

First thing to know is that ADAS systems like these have safety monitors (combination of hardware and software) to detect a motion plan that if executed would cause an unsafe situation and prevent it. For example, if the system Incorrectly generated a dangerous steering command that might send you into a wall. One can imagine that these systems need to run at a rate that exceeds the potential motion envelope of a vehicle. This has two implications.

One, the safety systems have to be tested and qualified if the powertrain changes substantially such that its motion capabilities are greater.

Two, for a higher performance vehicle with bigger brakes, more torque, etc., the safety monitor needs to be more capable as it needs to detect and intervene more quickly.

Put differently, achieving the same lane centering on the highway in a 150hp ICE vehicle is much, much easier than say a 800hp AWD EV with rear wheel steering. The electronics and software is necessarily more complex.

I suspect the X5MC is a very low volume vehicle, and given just the throttle response of that amazing engine, I’d not be surprised if BMW decided not to spend the time doing the necessary testing and qualification. The performance matter they need to solve anyway with even more performant vehicles like the i7 M60i, so were it up to me I’d put scarce testing resources on that vehicle and let the X5MC inherit the capability a couple of years later when my EV program is healthy and stable.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 06:13 PM   #59
BadBoostedBMWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36m,F80,G80;TRX; 992 TTS; F95

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Yes.
But, based on what I’ve read in X5M forum, guys who has iDrive8.5, has DAP+ activated up to 85mph.
In your case, ‘24 model should have iDrive8.5 already.
My ‘24 does not have it. Hmm…