BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2023, 07:02 PM   #1
sksksk1
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive40i

2024 X5 Engine Pinging/Knocking Noise

Hello everyone,

I recently leased a 2024 X5 xDrive40i, that I picked up about 2 months ago. Almost immediately I noticed a pinging/knocking sound coming from the engine, usually upon acceleration from a stop or low speed. It is also more pronounced on uphills. The sound is not very loud, but it is noticeable and not normal.

I've brought the car in to my dealer twice so far. The technician at my BMW dealer drove with me and confirmed the pinging noise. But while they had my car, a BMW test engineer checked the car himself and made a determination that “the car is operating as designed” (but acknowledged the noise!). They refuse to do anything, because according to BMW, there is nothing wrong with the car.

I had a good local non-BMW mechanic drive my car and he immediately heard the knocking and said the engine has an ignition timing problem and should be repaired. He was amazed that they wouldn't do so btw.

I know that my only recourse is through legal channels now, but after talking to an attorney, I've learned that the Lemon Laws in my state are very much in favor of the manufacturers. It's going to be tough.

My question to the forum is this: are there any other new owners of the 2024 model who are experiencing this problem? I'm wondering if BMW is aware that they have a manufacturing defect on their hands and fixing my car would be an admission of that.

It's just so crazy that they wouldn't honor their warranty for an obvious engine problem. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 08:35 PM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Possible to share a sound track?

In B58, ignition timing is all software. I wonder what could throw ignition timing off. Maybe software itself? Cam position sensor?
      10-17-2023, 08:39 PM   #3
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

I've heard of lawyers just saying things to get out of taking a case they don't want. Research the lemon law in NY closely, but you will probably need statements from three mechanics that the sounds are abnormal, especially for that engine and that diagnosing could result in engine disassembly or replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 08:59 PM   #4
traron
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 Msport S40i

What octane rating is the fuel you are using? ECU should adapt to lower octane but you never know. I’m sure the dealership asked….
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 08:47 AM   #5
sksksk1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by traron View Post
What octane rating is the fuel you are using? ECU should adapt to lower octane but you never know. I’m sure the dealership asked….
Always premium fuel (93 octane).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 08:50 AM   #6
sksksk1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking60 View Post
I've heard of lawyers just saying things to get out of taking a case they don't want. Research the lemon law in NY closely, but you will probably need statements from three mechanics that the sounds are abnormal, especially for that engine and that diagnosing could result in engine disassembly or replacement.
Yes I think you're right about that. I read the filing form used by the NYAG, and it turns out there were some options that the attorney did not mention to me. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 08:56 AM   #7
sksksk1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Possible to share a sound track?

In B58, ignition timing is all software. I wonder what could throw ignition timing off. Maybe software itself? Cam position sensor?
If that's true then I would think this would be a simple adjustment, rather than a major repair (or replacement) that BMW clearly wants to avoid. I will try to record it when I'm in a quiet area. Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 11:22 AM   #8
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksksk1 View Post
If that's true then I would think this would be a simple adjustment, rather than a major repair (or replacement) that BMW clearly wants to avoid. I will try to record it when I'm in a quiet area. Thanks for your response.
I think you ought to get an opinion from an independent BMW mechanic. It's hard to imagine a failure that could be causing severe pinging or throwing your ignition timing without also causing a CEL or code.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      10-18-2023, 01:08 PM   #9
JohnRoth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 40i M-Sport 2023 330i

Garage List
2020 BMW G05 X5  [9.00]
2020 BMW X5   [0.00]
Could be something basic as a bad coil or plug.
      10-19-2023, 10:03 PM   #10
slicky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cadilac ATS-V

If the car is pinging, it isn't going to be a "software adjustment". OEM's dont develop customer ECU calibrations. All calibrations will be the same for the model or even multiple model years, unless BMW made mid or year to year adjustments.
There is probably a mechanical or electrical issue that is causing the issue, but it isn't the calibration. It should be addressed as soon as possible as ongoing pinging is doing a small bit of damage continuously or at least causing some degree of overpressure and wear on the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 01:42 AM   #11
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

sksksk1 Can you share the sound?

Also, did you try to go to a different BMW center? Have them document and reach out to the regional BMW rep.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 02:34 AM   #12
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksksk1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently leased a 2024 X5 xDrive40i, that I picked up about 2 months ago. Almost immediately I noticed a pinging/knocking sound coming from the engine, usually upon acceleration from a stop or low speed. It is also more pronounced on uphills. The sound is not very loud, but it is noticeable and not normal.

I've brought the car in to my dealer twice so far. The technician at my BMW dealer drove with me and confirmed the pinging noise. But while they had my car, a BMW test engineer checked the car himself and made a determination that “the car is operating as designed” (but acknowledged the noise!). They refuse to do anything, because according to BMW, there is nothing wrong with the car.

I had a good local non-BMW mechanic drive my car and he immediately heard the knocking and said the engine has an ignition timing problem and should be repaired. He was amazed that they wouldn't do so btw.

I know that my only recourse is through legal channels now, but after talking to an attorney, I've learned that the Lemon Laws in my state are very much in favor of the manufacturers. It's going to be tough.

My question to the forum is this: are there any other new owners of the 2024 model who are experiencing this problem? I'm wondering if BMW is aware that they have a manufacturing defect on their hands and fixing my car would be an admission of that.

It's just so crazy that they wouldn't honor their warranty for an obvious engine problem. Thanks.
Does it sound anything like the ticking noise my car is making? ‘24 X5 M60i which is the new S68 V8. I’ve been a bit surprised and unnerved by the way it sounds idling - not the constant rattle/clatter which is apparently normal - but that secondary clicking/ticking.

Already been to service once and they also acknowledged but tech said they thought it was normal. When I sent this video today (a month later) they said to bring it back in for them to take another look. Definitely doesn’t sound like a $104k V8 to me but luckily the cabin in so well isolated sound-wise I don’t hear much inside the car! My partner thinks it may be a “lifter tick” which there are some videos about on YouTube.

Here’s my video recording
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 02:45 AM   #13
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I know the B58 engine has a rattle sound to it. It happened on two Z4 and an M340i that I had owned. The rattle is louder on acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/IsFYg9dP_S8

Rob
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 03:06 AM   #14
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

high pressure fuel pump clicks
      10-21-2023, 03:54 PM   #15
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

My car doesn’t make any pinging/knocking sounds on initial acceleration. Injector clicking can be heard at idle from outside the car with the hood open, but you shouldn’t be able to hear anything from inside the cabin while accelerating. What is your fuel economy like? Is it exceptionally poor despite conservative driving? The B58TU2 in the 2024 models has an electronically controlled Vanos and they also overhauled the ignition system and there are now dual injectors…. In short, all these optimizations introduce opportunities for engine faults. I would try to elevate your complaint to BMW corporate (go over your dealership’s head) because I’m sure their engineers really would like to know if there’s an engine fault. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 04:22 PM   #16
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I am with your thought process. Electric vano, so cam phase is now software instead of oil pressure. Ignition timing is definitely software. Port injection meaning air + fuel are being suck into cylinders instead of just air as in DI. But still, there are 2 dedicated knock sensors listening the “ping”, and make adjustments accordingly. If “ping”s are detected and presist, I would expect a CEL. All of these cannot go unnoticed to most basic sensory of any modern engine, not to mention German luxury high precision variations.

Also, from the video posted above, the sound isn’t ping. Ping generation doesn’t happen at idle either, it happens in high engine load, say high gear low engine rpm and large input of throttle.
      10-22-2023, 06:45 AM   #17
sksksk1
Rep

Thanks for everyone's replies to my original post.

There is no question that the sound is engine knocking. This was verified by my BMW dealer's technician, a BMW-NA test engineer, and an independent auto mechanic.

The problem is that the test engineer is claiming that the knocking/pinging is acceptable ("car operating as designed"). The noise isn't extremely loud, but it is very noticeable during acceleration, and not normal. The CEL is not on btw. The dealer's tech told me (verbally of course--would never put it in writing) that the test engineer acknowledged "an ignition timing problem."

Which is why they refuse to fix the car.

I was curious if other owners of the 2024 model were having a similar issue, as I am aware that there were some changes made to the engine (as people on the forum pointed out, and also the dealer's technician). I wonder if BMW is concerned they have a bigger problem on their hands than just me.

Anyway, after multiple exchanges, my case was escalated to a new customer service area at BMW-NA. We'll see what happens. But either way: a brand new BMW engine has a problem, and they should have honored their warranty from the beginning.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      10-22-2023, 06:59 AM   #18
sksksk1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
My car doesn’t make any pinging/knocking sounds on initial acceleration. Injector clicking can be heard at idle from outside the car with the hood open, but you shouldn’t be able to hear anything from inside the cabin while accelerating. What is your fuel economy like? Is it exceptionally poor despite conservative driving? The B58TU2 in the 2024 models has an electronically controlled Vanos and they also overhauled the ignition system and there are now dual injectors…. In short, all these optimizations introduce opportunities for engine faults. I would try to elevate your complaint to BMW corporate (go over your dealership’s head) because I’m sure their engineers really would like to know if there’s an engine fault. Keep us updated!

Thanks for your reply. BMW corporate IS the problem here. They acknowledge the noise but are saying the "car is operating as designed." Maybe you're right that their engineers would want to know about an engine fault. But I can tell you that BMW isn't willing to do anything about it (so far).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 03:50 PM   #19
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Do you always use the same brand of tier 1 gasoline?
      10-22-2023, 03:56 PM   #20
sksksk1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
Do you always use the same brand of tier 1 gasoline?
Mostly Costco, but I've used other brands for 3 other fill-ups.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #21
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

I would try using another tier 1 brand for a couple of tanks then if no change, try an octane booster just as a definitive confirmation test
      10-22-2023, 05:01 PM   #22
MC113
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
Does it sound anything like the ticking noise my car is making? ‘24 X5 M60i which is the new S68 V8. I’ve been a bit surprised and unnerved by the way it sounds idling - not the constant rattle/clatter which is apparently normal - but that secondary clicking/ticking.

Already been to service once and they also acknowledged but tech said they thought it was normal. When I sent this video today (a month later) they said to bring it back in for them to take another look. Definitely doesn’t sound like a $104k V8 to me but luckily the cabin in so well isolated sound-wise I don’t hear much inside the car! My partner thinks it may be a “lifter tick” which there are some videos about on YouTube.

Here’s my video recording
For what it’s worth, after taking my car out for some spirited driving the unusual sound from my engine compartment reduced quite significantly. I am still going to take it back in per my Service Advisor’s recommendation, but the lifter tick theory on my S68 may have been a match since day to day I am doing mostly short and low rev trips. Misc. content online explained what lifter tick is on BMWs, why it’s commonplace and that it’s typically harmless and resolved by getting the revs up for a sustained period.

Before long drive, high revs

After long drive, high revs
Appreciate 0