BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Buying a used 2019 X5. Tips?

Hi all,

I found a loaded 2019 X5 40i xdrive with a great price, which im kinda skeptical but it's from a very well known dealership in Chicago soooo.

The guy told me that there's no any credit whatsoever because those are for new cars only. Is that true?? I mean honestly the price is below my budget but any extra saving will definitely make my day.

I am trading in a 2013 335 which lots of issues lol so that's gonna be painful to hear how much they give me.

It has 8000 miles only and literally every single options that I want except for the white interior.

Never negotiate with a dealer, does anybody have tips to help me out????

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinandwhat View Post
Hi all,

I found a loaded 2019 X5 40i xdrive with a great price, which im kinda skeptical but it's from a very well known dealership in Chicago soooo.

The guy told me that there's no any credit whatsoever because those are for new cars only. Is that true?? I mean honestly the price is below my budget but any extra saving will definitely make my day.

I am trading in a 2013 335 which lots of issues lol so that's gonna be painful to hear how much they give me.

It has 8000 miles only and literally every single options that I want except for the white interior.

Never negotiate with a dealer, does anybody have tips to help me out????

Thanks!
There were a few 2019 owners who got BMW to take their X5 back due to the many unsolvable issues they were having. I wonder if this is one of their cars...or is it a service loaner? Usually though service loaners aren't decked out but I don't know what options you were looking for but service loaner mileage seems to fit. I would try hard to investigate its ownership and why its for sale at only 8K miles. In terms of credit or discounts, there's always room for discounting but since you are trading, its not the best scenario to get the best price on the X5. Consider selling your 335 outright if possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

I checked it was a lease car... It does sound strength... unless the leasee just suddenly went broke? lol
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I checked it was a lease car... It does sound strength... unless the leasee just suddenly went broke? lol
The G05 X5 is a highly leased car so that in itself doesn't mean much. I recall that several of the owners who got BMW to take their cars back, were leasing them. As you know, leases are normally for three years, there aren't any G05 X5's that are off lease yet so there's a story behind this one that would be interesting to understand. If you have the VIN, you might post it here and see if anyone recognizes it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
The G05 X5 is a highly leased car so that in itself doesn't mean much. I recall that several of the owners who got BMW to take their cars back, were leasing them. As you know, leases are normally for three years, there aren't any G05 X5's that are off lease yet so there's a story behind this one that would be interesting to understand. If you have the VIN, you might post it here and see if anyone recognizes it.
Here's VIN: 5UXCR6C56KLL36412

Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:15 AM   #6
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

I wouldn't. There's a reason it's a "good deal". I have a 2019 X5 and it's been in the shop 13 times since I bought it new in Nov 2018. Most unreliable car I've ever owned. It left me and my family in the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with 400 miles on the clock... It's currently been sitting at the dealership for nearly two months waiting on parts. Been discussing with BMW about a resolution... not right I need to keep making my lease payments while driving a loaner with a fraction of the value of my car. It's my 4th BMW since 2007 and the second with significant problems... so it will probably be the last BMW I ever buy or lease... if they'd buy it back I'd sell it in a heartbeat...
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

there's a huge difference between the F15 and the G05. The G05 isnt a vehicle, its a computer that has wheels, and the software isn't fully baked in. I have frequent glitches and miscues when driving. Does it bother me? No, its a lease, therefore not my problem. If it were mine i'd have so many sleepless nights wondering how long this stuff will last till it breaks expensively. Don't buy it
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
there's a huge difference between the F15 and the G05. The G05 isnt a vehicle, its a computer that has wheels, and the software isn't fully baked in. I have frequent glitches and miscues when driving. Does it bother me? No, its a lease, therefore not my problem. If it were mine i'd have so many sleepless nights wondering how long this stuff will last till it breaks expensively. Don't buy it
So far other than the intercooler recall on my X50i I've had no issues. Software is fine for me but I also didn't buy the one with the auto cruise and lane change stuff. I cheaped out. I wouldn't say it is much of a worry since I have a warranty. But totally would be with a year 1 new model without, but that is the risk when buying the first year of a major model make over, there will always be problems of some sort. Don't forget forums are for the major part help for people seeing issues, those who don't have issues, have nothing to write about..... Other than awesome pics of cool spots and long drives!!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
So far other than the intercooler recall on my X50i I've had no issues. Software is fine for me but I also didn't buy the one with the auto cruise and lane change stuff. I cheaped out. I wouldn't say it is much of a worry since I have a warranty. But totally would be with a year 1 new model without, but that is the risk when buying the first year of a major model make over, there will always be problems of some sort. Don't forget forums are for the major part help for people seeing issues, those who don't have issues, have nothing to write about..... Other than awesome pics of cool spots and long drives!!
I havent yet had any issues with the driver assistance stuff. But driving down from the PCD center, the camera system has twice 'malfunctioned'. I constantly have issues with idrive saying 'no media available' when I'm playing music through carplay. Ive now figured out how to circumvent that by toggling the idrive music player and then going back to carplay. I mean it all mostly works, but its almost like windows 10, stuff will randomly just glitch out. I would be annoyed if I owned this thing out of warranty. Nevermind all the noises and buzzes all the electrical components make as soon as I get near the car with my key fob.

I'm glad you haven't had any issues, I'll continue to pray for you and other owners that you are able to enjoy your vehicle issue free for the length of your ownership. I, however, will never do anything with vehicles that are this sophisticated except lease.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4504.50
      05-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
I havent yet had any issues with the driver assistance stuff. But driving down from the PCD center, the camera system has twice 'malfunctioned'. I constantly have issues with idrive saying 'no media available' when I'm playing music through carplay. Ive now figured out how to circumvent that by toggling the idrive music player and then going back to carplay. I mean it all mostly works, but its almost like windows 10, stuff will randomly just glitch out. I would be annoyed if I owned this thing out of warranty. Nevermind all the noises and buzzes all the electrical components make as soon as I get near the car with my key fob.

I'm glad you haven't had any issues, I'll continue to pray for you and other owners that you are able to enjoy your vehicle issue free for the length of your ownership. I, however, will never do anything with vehicles that are this sophisticated except lease.
Totally understand your frustration, I've been there yet I still buy early year models... LOL It does sound like you got the Friday at 4:30pm last one out the door for sure! I've only ever leased my play around vehicles this one I bought so you and I are both praying cause 6 years is about how long I keep my daily drivers. Time will tell for sure.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      05-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm not necessarily frustrated. I just feel overwhelmed. Having driven the F15 for 4 years, I didn't really query the PCD guy for much figuring it was just another iteration of something I already was very familiar with. I was so so wrong. It took me almost 2 months to fully wrap my head around all the new features and how to use the tech. So I can understand there will be software hiccups with something this sophisticated. I also realize I'm not the typical owner since I'm a forum enthusiast. But at this point, I'm trying to reduce daily stressors, and I know if I own something, my annoyance would turn into frustration and paranoia every time it acts up.

Although software issues aside, there's been zero mechanical issues.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      05-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

What I'd recommend to look for are Dealer Manager car, the Managers offtin will drive a fully loaded unit till it reaches a certain millage then they will off load it.

Typically these are good deals usually between 10-20k off, are fully loaded and service will be done on schedule.. check all dealers US wide there's lots of deals where you can fly, buy, and drive home.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
What I'd recommend to look for are Dealer Manager car, the Managers offtin will drive a fully loaded unit till it reaches a certain millage then they will off load it.

Typically these are good deals usually between 10-20k off, are fully loaded and service will be done on schedule.. check all dealers US wide there's lots of deals where you can fly, buy, and drive home.
Trust me. I searched "nationwide" lol It is very hard to shop for one when you have a budget and still wanting all the options. I know I know lol
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #14
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not necessarily frustrated. I just feel overwhelmed. Having driven the F15 for 4 years, I didn't really query the PCD guy for much figuring it was just another iteration of something I already was very familiar with. I was so so wrong. It took me almost 2 months to fully wrap my head around all the new features and how to use the tech. So I can understand there will be software hiccups with something this sophisticated. I also realize I'm not the typical owner since I'm a forum enthusiast. But at this point, I'm trying to reduce daily stressors, and I know if I own something, my annoyance would turn into frustration and paranoia every time it acts up.

Although software issues aside, there's been zero mechanical issues.
If its just software stuff, think i can handle them. Given the one I am looking at does not have the driver assistance pro package. think that just eliminate many potentials for it to go wrong
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Quote:

Trust me. I searched "nationwide" lol It is very hard to shop for one when you have a budget and still wanting all the options. I know I know lol
I believe there are 1 year lease units for employees of BMW, might want to consider waiting a few months for a better deal.. either way the new G05 is a great car you will enjoy it!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #16
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe there are 1 year lease units for employees of BMW, might want to consider waiting a few months for a better deal.. either way the new G05 is a great car you will enjoy it!!
I actually called and the sales guy told me the one I am looking at was a manager's lease. Think i am paying my visit tomorrow. Its 3 hrs away from me
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #17
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
I wouldn't. There's a reason it's a "good deal". I have a 2019 X5 and it's been in the shop 13 times since I bought it new in Nov 2018. Most unreliable car I've ever owned. It left me and my family in the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with 400 miles on the clock... It's currently been sitting at the dealership for nearly two months waiting on parts. Been discussing with BMW about a resolution... not right I need to keep making my lease payments while driving a loaner with a fraction of the value of my car. It's my 4th BMW since 2007 and the second with significant problems... so it will probably be the last BMW I ever buy or lease... if they'd buy it back I'd sell it in a heartbeat...
I remembered your post from last year about being stuck on the side of the road and being pissed and how BMW took care of you. Have you had any other mechanical issues with the car since then?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
I actually called and the sales guy told me the one I am looking at was a manager's lease. Think i am paying my visit tomorrow. Its 3 hrs away from me
For me one of the best ways to get the price down is looking interested but not to much and letting them know you have other options like another test drive later on. Act like you can buy the car if the deal is good but otherwise you walk away.

If you really want to play it hard leave interested without signing and wait until they contact you. Down side could be that someone else buys it.

If you look at the car line it is your first girlfriend the price won't go down much.

My current car is a new one. My two cars before were 6 months old and driven by the owner of the dealer. Got a really good deal on both and never had serious issues.

I always had 2 years BMW guarantee. In your case I would try to have the same. After two years all major faults should have become clear and taken care of.

You should be able to look into the service history. If there are major issues that should be evident.

In Europe there is a Bmw program that sells cars driven by Bmw employees. They usually have a lot of options. I don't know if this exists in the US. Off course more 3 series than X5 available.

Good luck. It's a great car !
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I would not own or lease a late model BMW without a warranty. They are very expensive to repair. Knock on wood we've had ours for 16 months and have had 0 problems but it's a 3 year lease so it will be turned in before the warranty expires.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #20
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
For me one of the best ways to get the price down is looking interested but not to much and letting them know you have other options like another test drive later on. Act like you can buy the car if the deal is good but otherwise you walk away.

If you really want to play it hard leave interested without signing and wait until they contact you. Down side could be that someone else buys it.

If you look at the car line it is your first girlfriend the price won't go down much.

My current car is a new one. My two cars before were 6 months old and driven by the owner of the dealer. Got a really good deal on both and never had serious issues.

I always had 2 years BMW guarantee. In your case I would try to have the same. After two years all major faults should have become clear and taken care of.

You should be able to look into the service history. If there are major issues that should be evident.

In Europe there is a Bmw program that sells cars driven by Bmw employees. They usually have a lot of options. I don't know if this exists in the US. Off course more 3 series than X5 available.

Good luck. It's a great car !
The only trick i can play is the ivory white interior lol coz i already applied credit online and they definitely thinking I am just going to go in and sign the paper. Well, I am just gonna look at gle too tomorrow lol. and really hope i actually dont mind the white interior on a blue x5. We will see.

Thanks for the advise!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #21
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
I would not own or lease a late model BMW without a warranty. They are very expensive to repair. Knock on wood we've had ours for 16 months and have had 0 problems but it's a 3 year lease so it will be turned in before the warranty expires.
It does have standard 3yr 36000 mile warranty. And i should be able to get major things fix by the end of that if there's some flows in the 2019 productions. hopefully i just win lottery by the end of the warranty and i will get a Urus without asking how much it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #22
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It does have standard 3yr 36000 mile warranty. And i should be able to get major things fix by the end of that if there's some flows in the 2019 productions. hopefully i just win lottery by the end of the warranty and i will get a Urus without asking how much it is.
Justinandwhat a new 2020 and when the 2019's were new, had this warranty.. . warranty starts when the car is titled under someones name and I would imagine it started on this one when the BMW mgr first did the paperwork. So knowing this, you can determine how much warranty is left once you see the paperwork when you get there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0