BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-05-2023, 08:03 PM   #1
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

iDrive 8.5 YouTube video walkthrough

Here's a video that walks through a number of the changes with 8.5. Note that the creator isn't logged in with a BMW ID, nor does he take the vehicle on the road, so it doesn't cover everything, but I found it mostly helpful as I wait for the upgrade to become available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hxQ0Bape8

Of course, these are just my initial impressions from this video, but I would say that BMW still has a ways to go with UI. It still looks too busy and elements are hard to distinguish in a quick glance.

BUT... and it's a big but... the climate controls are clearly the star of the show here and are a big improvement from the silly design of 8.0. It's nice also that seat and steering wheel heating/ventilation is now possible to quickly access. Makes me wonder how 8.0's climate interface ever made it into production, since basically they now replicate the tried and true basic functionality that physical buttons previously provided. (I miss you, hard climate buttons -- perhaps we'll meet again someday).

The other thing that stood out to me was the expanded favorites slots. That will be nice. The tiles on the left side look ok, but not revolutionary. Again, it still feels like BMW is kind of fumbling its way through this process of doing everything through the screen.

Anyway, that's just my POV from watching a video -- so I acknowledge that real life experience may differ.

And while I appreciate the person made this video, it probably could be 10 min shorter. I ended up cranking up the playback speed on YouTube. But I'm now smarter on what's to come, so thanks to him.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 11:14 PM   #2
CAtoMA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50e, M440ix conv

I love 8.5. Definitely requires some learning. Kind of like the early customizability of Wintel mixed with the general usability of MacOS.

The only thing that is a little whack is the upper-right status bar that has a dozen indecipherable icons. But as I sit here looking at my Mac, I see the same thing-- and actually I added more menu bar status items to my Mac once I realized how helpful the quick status icons can be... once you learn them.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 12:27 AM   #3
blinsc
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m60i

I am completely underwhelmed by iDrive 8.5. I was hoping to see actual improvements to the features, like the trip data panel showing more useful information and not just a giant image of the car. But nope, if you want to see travel time, you have to expand the trip data panel to full-screen because in the smaller mode, they can only fit two pieces of data in a 4" x 4" square (timestamp is 7:42 in the video). At least I won't forget what the car I'm currently sat in looks like.

The additional fixed functions on the lower bar are nice, and the climate panel looks better, but in my case, I just left the system on auto all the time, so the lack of physical buttons and the wonky climate screen in iDrive 8 wasn't a real issue for me.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not even sure I like the new layout better than the current layout. Currently, I have trip data, Spotify, and small map all next to each other. It doesn't seem like I'll be able to do that in iDrive 8.5.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #4
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinsc View Post
I am completely underwhelmed by iDrive 8.5. I was hoping to see actual improvements to the features, like the trip data panel showing more useful information and not just a giant image of the car. But nope, if you want to see travel time, you have to expand the trip data panel to full-screen because in the smaller mode, they can only fit two pieces of data in a 4" x 4" square (timestamp is 7:42 in the video). At least I won't forget what the car I'm currently sat in looks like.

The additional fixed functions on the lower bar are nice, and the climate panel looks better, but in my case, I just left the system on auto all the time, so the lack of physical buttons and the wonky climate screen in iDrive 8 wasn't a real issue for me.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not even sure I like the new layout better than the current layout. Currently, I have trip data, Spotify, and small map all next to each other. It doesn't seem like I'll be able to do that in iDrive 8.5.
To me I messed up 8.5 for a while and do not find the new UI provide much functional update; only the main screen seems different - and there is a way to split screen on home to show partially carplay and partially idrive widget

That said, the improvement over DAP assist plus mode is great (but not mentioned in any bmw provided doc). To me that single twitch worth better than any other update combined.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 01:37 PM   #5
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

While some other car companies have realized that making everything touch is not the right approach, BMW is moving to this direction. That's sad.

Speaking about iDrive 8.5 - I dislike it as much as I dislike 8th version. Anyway, with Android/Apple auto you don't see all that, but now will have to interact with the system to change climate settings, what is sad.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
Cbass93
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

I got my 2024 X5 50e back from the dealership and the 8.5 "upgrade" did zero. Literally turned around and asked technician and was told that was it. Total BS there was no change in any screen and BMW Genius told me to go back to the dealership because they did it wrong!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:44 PM   #7
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
only the main screen seems different - and there is a way to split screen on home to show partially carplay and partially idrive widget
Can you take a snap of what that looks like. Having Carplay and iDrive widget together? I would imagine that could be a mess because the widget would just overlay on the top of Carplay which takes the full screen? Unless i misunderstand what you are referring too.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 07:23 PM   #8
MNm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass93 View Post
I got my 2024 X5 50e back from the dealership and the 8.5 "upgrade" did zero. Literally turned around and asked technician and was told that was it. Total BS there was no change in any screen and BMW Genius told me to go back to the dealership because they did it wrong!!
According to the video link above, the 8.5 update won't be available until September '23.

Has anyone actually been able to update?
      08-08-2023, 07:50 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNm3 View Post
According to the video link above, the 8.5 update won't be available until September '23.

Has anyone actually been able to update?
They are speaking of being available by OTA. Dealers have had the update for about a month and installing it when needed for a repair or out of customer goodwill.
      08-09-2023, 07:18 AM   #10
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Can you take a snap of what that looks like. Having Carplay and iDrive widget together? I would imagine that could be a mess because the widget would just overlay on the top of Carplay which takes the full screen? Unless i misunderstand what you are referring too.
I saw this feature yesterday and its neat. It shows Apple map on the right side and iDrive widgets on the left. I don't think you can change what you see from Carplay though besides the default which is apple maps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CeEl480.50
      08-09-2023, 11:18 AM   #11
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
That is cool. I feel like I'm too invested in Waze to switch to Apple maps (user-generated reporting of accidents and police). But the HUD integration with Apple maps would be really nice. Anyone migrate from Waze with no regrets?

Last edited by Line Drive; 08-09-2023 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 11:27 AM   #12
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I saw this feature yesterday and its neat. It shows Apple map on the right side and iDrive widgets on the left. I don't think you can change what you see from Carplay though besides the default which is apple maps.
Nice, it looks like the carplay window has being rescaled then within its own window on the right rather than taking the entire window (like when the BMW built in nav map is used for home).

Thats good then. This is like going back to the old iDrive 6 split screen where you can have Carplay on one side and a widget on the other side of the screen !!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 11:29 AM   #13
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post
That is cool. I feel like I'm too invested in Waze to switch to Apple maps (real-time/user-generated reporting of accidents and police). But the HUD integration with Apple maps would be really nice. Anyone migrate from Waze with no regrets?
I'm pretty certain, he could have used the Waze map on the right instead of the Apple map. On the left he could have picked any of the widgets / short cuts including the BMW Nav map !!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #14
pixelate
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Quote:
That is cool. I feel like I'm too invested in Waze to switch to Apple maps (user-generated reporting of accidents and police). But the HUD integration with Apple maps would be really nice. Anyone migrate from Waze with no regrets?
For what it's worth, Apple Maps does have user-reported hazard / accident / speed check warnings. I don't know how they compare to Waze. The couple of times I used Waze on a new commute route it seemed to be overly eager to detour me off the slow freeway and onto surface streets that became jammed. And the two recent times I ignored Apple Maps suddenly telling me to deviate from the normal freeway route home, I found myself stuck in a nasty backup from a freeway accident. So in the future I will take its advice!
2008 BMW X5 xDrive48i mineral green
1972 BMW 2002 agave green
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 01:21 PM   #15
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Yes, I do hate the Waze advice to save a couple of minutes by diverting to neighborhood back roads that just end up being kind of a more stressful drive. Wish there were options like: Route A will save you 5 minutes (or 30 minutes). That way you could tell how bad the traffic ahead really is -- just a little slow-down or something more significant.

My sense is the crowdsourcing on Waze is superior, and I've heard some say the Apple maps speed check therefore isn't as reliable.
      08-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #16
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty certain, he could have used the Waze map on the right instead of the Apple map. On the left he could have picked any of the widgets / short cuts including the BMW Nav map !!
Just tried and there's nothing else from Carplay other than Apple Maps showing on the right panel as "Navigation".
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:58 PM   #17
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I use Apple Maps for navigation. I like it’s turn prompts better. The crowd sourced speed check works well on busy roads/highways. Waze will often warn me about something that’s no longer there. When Apple Maps warns me, it’s usually still there.

On the flip side, Apple may not warn me when Waze does - larger active community on Waze, and chances are bigger to get warned on smaller/less busy roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 06:09 PM   #18
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just tried and there's nothing else from Carplay other than Apple Maps showing on the right panel as "Navigation".
Ok, well i'll have to play with it once my 50e arrives and see what it can do. Seems like its heading in the right direction at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 08:08 AM   #19
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
so after this, I don't know how to bring up Apple Map just in normal driving mode without having set a destination. Not sure how it came up when I took this photo but right now the only way I can have this view is when I set a destination in Apple map. If anyone figured out how, please share
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 10:23 AM   #20
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
so after this, I don't know how to bring up Apple Map just in normal driving mode without having set a destination. Not sure how it came up when I took this photo but right now the only way I can have this view is when I set a destination in Apple map. If anyone figured out how, please share
Oh, so the carplay map isn't configurable for the "home setting" screen. It simply will use that for home, if the car play apple map destination input and route guidance is active? What is a bit puzzling is from your screenshot, it doesn't look like the Apple map route guidance is active though !

Last edited by apw2607; 08-10-2023 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #21
mattsrs
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh, so the carplay map isn't configurable for the "home setting" screen. It simply will use that for home, if the car play apple map destination input and route guidance is active? Was is a bit puzzling is from your screenshot, it doesn't look like the Apple map route guidance is active though !
Yea in the screenshot I posted above, no guidance was active and tbh have no idea how Apple Map ended up there (like don't remember if I clicked anything etc). But since then, the only way to see it is to have guidance active and on home screen, select "Navigation" for the right hand side panel content. When I select "Navigation" without having guidance in Apple Maps, it only shows iDrive Map.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 11:57 PM   #22
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yea in the screenshot I posted above, no guidance was active and tbh have no idea how Apple Map ended up there (like don't remember if I clicked anything etc). But since then, the only way to see it is to have guidance active and on home screen, select "Navigation" for the right hand side panel content. When I select "Navigation" without having guidance in Apple Maps, it only shows iDrive Map.
I think you need to go to Apps>Maps in Carplay for it to appear in Home Screen.
Appreciate 0