Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
We went to Hawaii for 3 weeks and got married there. Barely cost more than the vavation.
We did the exact same thing. No guests, no hassle. We spent ~$20k on the vacation/wedding/honeymoon (went all out) and about $20k on rings (custom designed 200-stone engagement ring plus our two bands - mine platinum comfort fit [HEAVY] and her diamond band).

Since we were financing the entire venture ourselves, we spent the money on what we thought made sense. You keep the rings forever and the only people who are in the marriage the entire time are the two of you, so that's who we spent the money on. Wouldn't have had it any other way. It was so liberating to self-finance because nobody else could give their input. I highly recommend it!

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #156
JuzMe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4; E92 M3

If a woman loves a man, she won't ask for such ridiculous amount$ for a ring
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #157
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
From the car forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
If a woman loves a man, she won't ask for such ridiculous amount$ for a ring
From the fashion forum:
Quote:
If a man loves a woman, he would spend any amount to keep her happy

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #158
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Lotus Evora 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Also, she seems to not really understand the true value of money; no offense to those who come from wealthy families, but their perception is honestly skewed and a "tit for tat" approach to expenses and luxuries is as immature as it is selfish. It doesn't sound like you're this way, but you do have an appreciation for the finer things in life, yourself.

If this is only for engagement, I shudder to think of the magnitude of your wedding. I also would most certainly like an invite to partake in the alcohol and festivities.
+1 for invite to partake in alcohol and festivities. Maybe get a sugar mama to support my car addiction

Instagram: boostedtrav_
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #159
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucki14 View Post
+1 for invite to partake in alcohol and festivities. Maybe get a sugar mama to support my car addiction
I'm trying to groom mine, now.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #160
Bucki14
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT | Lotus Evora 400

Quote:
I'm trying to groom mine, now.
As am I lol! I talk cars all day...even in her sleep (jk slightly). Take her to shows and make her drive different cars so she could understand my obsession. She finally understands why the M is so much more worthy than my work car (Honda). Now I just need her to support the upgrades, although last week she said I need the carbon fiber side skirts (I asked you paying)

Instagram: boostedtrav_
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/boostedtrav
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #161
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

It's interesting that you say that because now I get picture messages of like Jaguar F-Type R's and M3's, and exotics with loud exhausts that she will ask me about.

She is shooting for a Challenger Hellcat. Needless to say, I would much rather share my life with someone who can appreciate my passion than dragging some trophy bitch along.

Next stop: getting her to master the manual transmission.

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #162
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

This is my kind of Ring!!
Name:  valentines day.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  186.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #163
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
From the fashion forum: If a man loves a woman, he would spend any amount to keep her happy
Even if I were a billionaire I would never have that attitude. I want an equal, not a gold digging trophy wife. I'd rather be single than to be with someone that needed me to provide a certain lifestyle to be happy.
Appreciate 8
      03-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #164
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxgt3 View Post
Even if I were a billionaire I would never have that attitude. I want an equal, not a gold digging trophy wife. I'd rather be single than to be with someone that needed me to provide a certain lifestyle to be happy.
Amen.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #165
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
It is kind of funny that if you were a billionaire, it's much easier to spend 1/4 of the years earnings on a ring.

I personally didn't and like you, most certainly would not if it were expected.
      03-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #166
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
If the cost of the ring is a concern to her, take it as a warning. You may have bigger problems than a ring.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

And btw, the general diamond market is fraud. Read some history on it.
Cheers-mk
Why aren't you runnibg for POTUS with such powerful statements.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #167
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

OP, I got onto this thread a bit late. Think you got all the advice you need already mate.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #168
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
+1 on that. Make sure everyone sees all the photos and make them envy
Haha hell yea!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #169
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
Why aren't you runnibg for POTUS with such powerful statements.
The world is not ready for MKSixer to be POTUS.

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #170
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
My post was purely in jest.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #171
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Hey guys, the OP's girlfriend's friend said she got a $50K ring, not the OP's.
You need to read between the lines. Her mentioning that to him is her way of saying "50k required. More is better so I can gloat." She may have realized later how ridiculous she sounds and said "oh 30k would suffice."

I'd be long gone, personally. Plenty of humble people from wealthy families around too.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #172
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
You need to read between the lines. Her mentioning that to him is her way of saying "50k required. More is better so I can gloat." She may have realized later how ridiculous she sounds and said "oh 30k would suffice."

I'd be long gone, personally. Plenty of humble people from wealthy families around too.
I can see what you are saying, but the point of that post was not to read between the lines. I am isolating the facts provided to us by the OP, which everyone has now clearly disregarded.

Reading between the lines has been done plenty by everyone who has commented in this thread, including myself, should you have failed to notice up until this point.

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #173
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
I can see what you are saying, but the point of that post was not to read between the lines. I am isolating the facts provided to us by the OP, which everyone has now clearly disregarded.

Reading between the lines has been done plenty by everyone who has commented in this thread, including myself, should you have failed to notice up until this point.
Fair enough. I'm also a 9-5 guy; 50k is a ton of money for me. OP may be on a different playing field, which does impact one's viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #174
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Respect!

Sadly, this is the exact reason why people stay single. Women date men who can only improve the Woman's lifestyle. If the man can't provide her what she wants, then she'll be out looking for the next man.
That's how 90% of Women are.
The other 9% who aren't like this are single, happy and aren't necessarily looking for a relationship. The other 1% are already taken.

LOL
      03-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #175
335penguin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

I would like to input a woman's opinion, I read through most of the comments telling him to dump her if she wants an expensive nice ring. I disagree This is something she will wear on her finger every day for the rest of her life it should be what she wants, that being said perhaps she should help pay for her ring. I personally want a nice ring and we've talked about when the time comes to picking out and getting a ring if the one I want costs more than he can afford I will chip in. I wouldn't want him to financially suffer I'd say yes to anything he got me but there's nothing wrong with pitching in and getting exactly what I want.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #176
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335penguin View Post
I would like to input a woman's opinion, I read through most of the comments telling him to dump her if she wants an expensive nice ring. I disagree This is something she will wear on her finger every day for the rest of her life it should be what she wants, that being said perhaps she should help pay for her ring. I personally want a nice ring and we've talked about when the time comes to picking out and getting a ring if the one I want costs more than he can afford I will chip in. I wouldn't want him to financially suffer I'd say yes to anything he got me but there's nothing wrong with pitching in and getting exactly what I want.
I don't understand the "perhaps she should help pay for the ring". Every woman that gets married to the man that bought the ring will help pay for the ring unless they plan on keeping all money separate. If he spends $50k or whatever the number, once they get married and everything gets combined, the missing $50k, or payments or whatever is now both of their problem. If the number is a drop in the bucket to what he has it may not matter but for most an expensive ring is just a delay in buying other things (house, school loans, car, kids college) or a reduction in their ability to use the money for other things.

If she had a large amount of money and I had very little I would be happy to buy the expensive ring. Once we combine our money the problem will be gone. Whether she likes it or not she will have paid for the ring.
Appreciate 0