BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #45
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Just catching up on threads and came across yours. For the non functional gps and SOS, were you able to get the dealership to check for water leak through the sharkfin? That's the issue I had.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #46
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
Just catching up on threads and came across yours. For the non functional gps and SOS, were you able to get the dealership to check for water leak through the sharkfin? That's the issue I had.
no leak, it's a hardware failure.

I'll post an update tonight if I can with the long list of shit wrong with my car. The engineer agreed with me on most things but also said anything can be fixed. While this is true I don't want half my interior ripped apart to replace modules because that's how rattles start not that I didn't already have them.

edit: we spoke for about ,3 hours, drove for 45min with a tech and the engineer. I'll take pics of the service order
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #47
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Went over everything with the engineer and a tech they basically agreed the issues were off putting but said everything can be fixed. I noted I didn't want half my car ripped apart to replace modules because that's how you create rattles and issues. Even if you replace everything there's no guarantee everything will work either. Once again he agreed but said they have to try so my car is there for an undetermined amount of time. I'm in a sad little X3 S Drive loaner which really makes me miss my X5

see the pics of my service order

basically these are the modules/parts to replace:
comfort access
whatever detects your key inside the car
antenna module
GPS module
trunk strut and motor
KAFAS camera
windshield due to delamination
various leather, dash, front two door cards, rear seat behind driver, center arm rest
Interior trim around doors
lug nut wrench since it was missing from my spare tire kit
other items I cannot remember the names of

yes, that's a long list and it's going to suck, I'm waiting to hear back from BMW NA about a trade assist which is what they call swapping out the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #48
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Wow, that is quite the list. What was the reason for the dealer being so shady?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #49
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Wow, that is quite the list. What was the reason for the dealer being so shady?
It's a long explanation but basically, they were being a**holes because they didn't want to deal with the car. Add this to me asking them politely to not wash my car, and keep me in the loop which apparently is asking too much. Fast forward to BMW NA and the engineer getting involved and now they're cooperating again.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #50
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
It's a long explanation but basically, they were being a**holes because they didn't want to deal with the car. Add this to me asking them politely to not wash my car, and keep me in the loop which apparently is asking too much. Fast forward to BMW NA and the engineer getting involved and now they're cooperating again.
How frustrating. I have some "minor" issues that the dealer probably would be frustrated by and just call normal, but I'm sure BMW design engineers would say are absolutely not normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #51
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Wow, with a list of issues that lengthy and varied I would have thought they just would have decided to do the trade assist. Good luck, maybe things look more overwhelming than they really are.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #52
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Wow, with a list of issues that lengthy and varied I would have thought they just would have decided to do the trade assist. Good luck, maybe things look more overwhelming than they really are.
I'm pushing for it, I'll let you guy's know how hard they try to screw me or maybe they won't we will see
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #53
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Seems like your X5 might of been one of the first for the new shift that started on a Friday. LOL hope all ends well.
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #54
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
You are in a good place now because the BMW rep is involved so the dealers work will be monitored. BMW took responsibility so it’s all a matter of waiting for the work to be done. I wouldn’t worry about issues or problems you don’t have with the repair. If there is a issue, BMW is involved and your liaison between you and the dealership.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #55
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Check the build date, was there a Panthers game on?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #56
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
Check the build date, was there a Panthers game on?
week 3 build, anything's possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
You are in a good place now because the BMW rep is involved so the dealers work will be monitored. BMW took responsibility so it’s all a matter of waiting for the work to be done. I wouldn’t worry about issues or problems you don’t have with the repair. If there is a issue, BMW is involved and your liaison between you and the dealership.
Yes and no, I still don't trust that dealer but I took 130 pics of every piece of my car before giving it to them. they're all geo tagged with the date and time so I prefer staying ahead of the curve. even if things get 'fixed' I'm at 2+ months with no gps/phone/mic working which doesn't make the experience welcoming. I'm giving them a chance to do the right thing here because repairs aren't going to be cheap given the number of items I'd estimate $10k or more with labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Seems like your X5 might of been one of the first for the new shift that started on a Friday. LOL hope all ends well.
it may have started on a Friday I'll have to look back
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #57
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Yes and no, I still don't trust that dealer but I took 130 pics of every piece of my car before giving it to them. they're all geo tagged with the date and time so I prefer staying ahead of the curve. even if things get 'fixed' I'm at 2+ months with no gps/phone/mic working which doesn't make the experience welcoming. I'm giving them a chance to do the right thing here because repairs aren't going to be cheap given the number of items I'd estimate $10k or more with labor
My question is whether you'll be happy with the vehicle following the repairs. With this many issues, is it something related to a wiring harness that is not easily replaced in an assembled car, as an example. Or are there other gremlins underneath that just haven't surfaced yet. I'm not saying this to plant the seeds of doubt, but with this many things wrong at time zero, I'd be thinking of wiping the slate and going with a new vehicle. :shrug:
      06-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #58
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
BMW said they're not fixing cosmetic things despite having them be an issue I noted at delivery. They also claim the electronics will be fine after the repair which I wholeheartedly disagree with. There's an underlying problem here which hasn't been found otherwise so many systems wouldn't be having issues. The CS Case Manager agrees with me but ultimately it's out of her control. I said I'll fight this and issues will not stop (going off past experiences) so I'm waiting to hear back yet again.

edit: added your quote, I didn't see it before posting but agree. I could trade my car in and move on but I refuse to take a hit on something outside of my control when BMW can fix it. I'm at the end of my patience with the handling of my car given how I had 2 full months of no action followed by a dealer illegally refusing warranty work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
My question is whether you'll be happy with the vehicle following the repairs. With this many issues, is it something related to a wiring harness that is not easily replaced in an assembled car, as an example. Or are there other gremlins underneath that just haven't surfaced yet. I'm not saying this to plant the seeds of doubt, but with this many things wrong at time zero, I'd be thinking of wiping the slate and going with a new vehicle. :shrug:
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #59
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
BMW said they're not fixing cosmetic things despite having them be an issue I noted at delivery. They also claim the electronics will be fine after the repair which I wholeheartedly disagree with. There's an underlying problem here which hasn't been found otherwise so many systems wouldn't be having issues. The CS Case Manager agrees with me but ultimately it's out of her control. I said I'll fight this and issues will not stop (going off past experiences) so I'm waiting to hear back yet again.
Dang, stories like these and my own dealings with BMW N.A. for my 5 weeks in the shop really have made me lose respect for the brand. How arrogant can a company be? Literally every other maker of products I buy makes things right without a fight when I have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #60
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
BMW said they're not fixing cosmetic things despite having them be an issue I noted at delivery...
Could you (or anyone actually?) have rejected the car @ delivery based on these cosmetic defects you noted? Or were they not significant enough?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #61
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

It's odd that we hear some forum members having an easy process with BMW corp and some buyback vehicles or lemons. Why is Android having such a problem? I had my share of BMW warranty item done. I had the entire leather dash on an X6 replaced. And yet on a X3 they gave me a hard time for warranty of a warped door window.
As I get closer to placing my M50i order, I have to admit I'm slightly concerned about gremlins or this many issues cropping up
      06-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #62
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
I could trade my car in and move on but I refuse to take a hit on something outside of my control when BMW can fix it.
I'm not sure if you qualify for a Lemon Law remedy, as that varies from state to state. But I would not trade my car - I'd ask BMW to buy it back. Every penny you put into it (e.g. ClearBra, ceramic coating, etc.). You've had a horrible experience, and if you have an established relationship with your dealer I'd say this is the time to exercise it.
      06-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #63
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Android - here is another prospective. Look at it from the big picture view - it is just a car. It is not magic - it is a sum of mechanical parts that work together.
You love you car and spend money and time on it. Nothing is fundamentally wrong with it. Engine is great - transmission and suspension is great. It drives great.

Yes some electronic malfunctioned and you have some cosmetic issues.
You were going to mod some stuff anyway - here is your chance to do some custom interior stuff.

Electronics - strange that they went all together - maybe a Short or a spike when you replaced the battery:? replacing the modules should fix the electronics - they are toys after all.

So i would not loose faith. Fix it - see how it goes. remember - you cant even get your interior anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #64
EbonyReader
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, 2008 BMW X5

Wishing you the best of luck with the trade assist. The number of repairs needed for your car is unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #65
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
It's odd that we hear some forum members having an easy process with BMW corp and some buyback vehicles or lemons. Why is Android having such a problem? I had my share of BMW warranty item done. I had the entire leather dash on an X6 replaced. And yet on a X3 they gave me a hard time for warranty of a warped door window.
As I get closer to placing my M50i order, I have to admit I'm slightly concerned about gremlins or this many issues cropping up
dealers here suck, it's the energy sector so if there's an issue they don't have to do anything because money isn't a problem for dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
Quote:
BMW said they're not fixing cosmetic things despite having them be an issue I noted at delivery...
Could you (or anyone actually?) have rejected the car @ delivery based on these cosmetic defects you noted? Or were they not significant enough?
I bought my car through and out of State dealer and took couresty delivery here so all paperwork was signed ahead of time therefore I couldn't reject it at delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Quote:
Dang, stories like these and my own dealings with BMW N.A. for my 5 weeks in the shop really have made me lose respect for the brand. How arrogant can a company be? Literally every other maker of products I buy makes things right without a fight when I have an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Quote:
I could trade my car in and move on but I refuse to take a hit on something outside of my control when BMW can fix it.
I'm not sure if you qualify for a Lemon Law remedy, as that varies from state to state. But I would not trade my car - I'd ask BMW to buy it back. Every penny you put into it (e.g. ClearBra, ceramic coating, etc.). You've had a horrible experience, and if you have an established relationship with your dealer I'd say this is the time to exercise it.
I have no respect for dealers by me anymore. Both of them have proven anything other than an oil change is too much of a hassle and they'll go our if their way to reject things or give you a hard time I'm always polite but I'm a very particular person whether I want to be it not. I can't ignore a problem that's not fixed or when a dealer causes damage to my vehicleml. If people are upfront and apologize I have zero problem, otherwise I politely yet firmly push to get whatever it is fixed like a reasonable person.

no, not at this time. I've gone through a lemon law case before and know the process, BMW knows mine doesn't qualify and is making my life hard for some reason. I'm giving them many chances to fix things but they don't care. I had to take a vacation day yesterday to meet their engineer since they said it's this day be there no exceptions. I don't like wasting my time for an issue I shouldn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Android - here is another prospective. Look at it from the big picture view - it is just a car. It is not magic - it is a sum of mechanical parts that work together.
You love you car and spend money and time on it. Nothing is fundamentally wrong with it. Engine is great - transmission and suspension is great. It drives great.

Yes some electronic malfunctioned and you have some cosmetic issues.
You were going to mod some stuff anyway - here is your chance to do some custom interior stuff.

Electronics - strange that they went all together - maybe a Short or a spike when you replaced the battery:? replacing the modules should fix the electronics - they are toys after all.

So i would not loose faith. Fix it - see how it goes. remember - you cant I bought my car through and out of State dealer and took couresty delivery here so all paperwork was signed ahead of time therefore I couldn't reject it at delivery even get your interior anymore.
Electrical issues are the absolute worst and hardest to fix. I'd rather have mechanical problems because they're simple in comparison. No, I highly doubt my problems will go away, the list is ever growing not staying stagnant or getting smaller. I try being optimistic but at some point I need to be realistic.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      06-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #66
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

You can look at it this way;

If the fixes don't work it is getting you closer to lemon law territory.
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0