BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-12-2020, 11:41 PM   #1
AWESOM3
Private First Class
AWESOM3's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 17M4;15G63AMG;14E63SAMG
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ONTARIO,CANADA

iTrader: (0)

Advice sought. X6M Competition vs M8GC Competition

This may seem counter intuitive but I find myself choosing between the above vehicles.
Context.
Canadian. Mild winter by our standards but still requires winter tires with occasional heavy snow days.
Current lease expiring - 2017 750i XDrive Frozen Black.
Wife drives 2019 Mercedes G63.
2 kids -16 and 10.
I was set on the M8GC which I have extensively researched. I have not seen one in the flesh but have driven the M850GC and the M8 Competition Coupe ( amazingly quick)
I am somewhat underwhelmed by the lack of "solidity" on the GC. Doors don't close with a satisfying "this". Fit and finish is not quite where I'd expect. Rear seat is 2 buckets but three seatbelts with a centre console - so third person would not exactly be comfortable unless it was a short ride- this is a negative factor for ferrying kids friends
Family likes the comfort but not wild about the exterior. Having said that it's my car so my choice.
Enter the X6MC-offered to me as an alternative. Drove a demo that the dealer principal was using.
Sapphire Black with Sakhir interior
Amazing presence. Oozes testosterone. Great interior. Crushing acceleration with surprisingly comfortable ride in the soft setting.
I was not looking for two SUVs. Ideally I'd like a high performance sedan but the options are limited. M5 is a great car but not unique.
I have previously owned the Panamera Turbo and MB E63S and don't want to repeat.
With all the research I've done today the X is growing on me and does offer some practicality. When it comes to cars I have very little impulse control and I don't want to make the "wrong" decision - recognizing that having these options is something to be grateful for.
Please share your thoughts.
Vik
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 04:02 AM   #2
dds007
First Lieutenant
dds007's Avatar
United_States
240
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: F85, F82
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

Taycan.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
139
Rep
200
Posts

Drives: 2018 X5M
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: The Sticks

iTrader: (0)

RS6 or 7
Appreciate 1
jstein556375.50

      09-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
jokerswld34
Private First Class
21
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: 2014 335ix M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWESOM3 View Post
This may seem counter intuitive but I find myself choosing between the above vehicles.
Context.
Canadian. Mild winter by our standards but still requires winter tires with occasional heavy snow days.
Current lease expiring - 2017 750i XDrive Frozen Black.
Wife drives 2019 Mercedes G63.
2 kids -16 and 10.
I was set on the M8GC which I have extensively researched. I have not seen one in the flesh but have driven the M850GC and the M8 Competition Coupe ( amazingly quick)
I am somewhat underwhelmed by the lack of "solidity" on the GC. Doors don't close with a satisfying "this". Fit and finish is not quite where I'd expect. Rear seat is 2 buckets but three seatbelts with a centre console - so third person would not exactly be comfortable unless it was a short ride- this is a negative factor for ferrying kids friends
Family likes the comfort but not wild about the exterior. Having said that it's my car so my choice.
Enter the X6MC-offered to me as an alternative. Drove a demo that the dealer principal was using.
Sapphire Black with Sakhir interior
Amazing presence. Oozes testosterone. Great interior. Crushing acceleration with surprisingly comfortable ride in the soft setting.
I was not looking for two SUVs. Ideally I'd like a high performance sedan but the options are limited. M5 is a great car but not unique.
I have previously owned the Panamera Turbo and MB E63S and don't want to repeat.
With all the research I've done today the X is growing on me and does offer some practicality. When it comes to cars I have very little impulse control and I don't want to make the "wrong" decision - recognizing that having these options is something to be grateful for.
Please share your thoughts.
Vik
first and foremost, I don't think you can make a "wrong" choice with either of these vehicles. they are both amazing vehicles, but very different instruments.

that said, I have an X5MC and absolutely love it. I have 3 kids (4, 8, 11) and a dog, and they easily and comfortably fit in the back seat, even with car seats. my wife drives a suburban so we generally use that for longer journeys or hauling, but my X5MC can handle it as well. performance, as you said, is astonishing for an SUV. convenience, size and utility are all there versus a sedan. looks are subjective, but I think the F95/F96 with the right color combo really stand out from the crowd. I have marina bay blue and I get compliments on the vehicle every day. I considered a a sedan but for me, the utility and ability to seat 3 kids was more important. I also live in MA so have to deal with snow. the extra ground clearance of the X5MC will be helpful when the snow starts falling.

if you're after the most performance, best handling and willing to sacrifice some convenience/utility, the M8GC will not disappoint. it will be faster to 60 than the X6MC, handle better, and drive more closely to what you're used to. build quality likely will be similar between the two as the fit, finish and materials of the interior should be almost identical. the M8GC is quite a bit more expensive than the X6MC so that could sway your decision if you're trying to get most bang for your buck.

one other thing to mention is that if you're a person who is looking to upgrade the vehicle, such as exhaust, tune, etc., the M8GC would be the way to go. it shares it's engine directly with the M5 so more parts are available. there isn't much out there for the F95/F96 platforms yet so something to consider.

in the end, you're very fortunate to have both options and I think you need to consider whether or not you're willing to drive an SUV daily. if so, go with the X6MC.if you really prefer a lower center of gravity and the performance of a sedan, the M8GC or something equivalent like a taycan, M760 or S8 might be better choices. obviously you have a SUV in the family, but the MB G63 is much more truck than SUV.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
SlowX6M
Enlisted Member
29
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2017 X6M
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

My wife and I were too cross shopping the X6M vs M8. Our old 2017 X6M was coming to the end of lease term, and we went to test drive the M8 and absolutely hated it. It is a gorgeous car inside and out, but interior ergonomics are awful. If you're tall you'll be cramped, if you're short you'll still be cramped and wont be able to see out of it. It really should've been a two seater.

We opted for the X6M.
Appreciate 1
dds007240.00

      09-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
dds007
First Lieutenant
dds007's Avatar
United_States
240
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: F85, F82
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

I think the M8 Is a gorgeous car but the M8GC looks a little odd and not "special" to me.

I guess the same could be said about X5M/X6M too I suppose. So, it all comes down to what you prefer...good luck with your decision OP.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
AWESOM3
Private First Class
AWESOM3's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 17M4;15G63AMG;14E63SAMG
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ONTARIO,CANADA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
first and foremost, I don't think you can make a "wrong" choice with either of these vehicles. they are both amazing vehicles, but very different instruments.

that said, I have an X5MC and absolutely love it. I have 3 kids (4, 8, 11) and a dog, and they easily and comfortably fit in the back seat, even with car seats. my wife drives a suburban so we generally use that for longer journeys or hauling, but my X5MC can handle it as well. performance, as you said, is astonishing for an SUV. convenience, size and utility are all there versus a sedan. looks are subjective, but I think the F95/F96 with the right color combo really stand out from the crowd. I have marina bay blue and I get compliments on the vehicle every day. I considered a a sedan but for me, the utility and ability to seat 3 kids was more important. I also live in MA so have to deal with snow. the extra ground clearance of the X5MC will be helpful when the snow starts falling.

if you're after the most performance, best handling and willing to sacrifice some convenience/utility, the M8GC will not disappoint. it will be faster to 60 than the X6MC, handle better, and drive more closely to what you're used to. build quality likely will be similar between the two as the fit, finish and materials of the interior should be almost identical. the M8GC is quite a bit more expensive than the X6MC so that could sway your decision if you're trying to get most bang for your buck.

one other thing to mention is that if you're a person who is looking to upgrade the vehicle, such as exhaust, tune, etc., the M8GC would be the way to go. it shares it's engine directly with the M5 so more parts are available. there isn't much out there for the F95/F96 platforms yet so something to consider.

in the end, you're very fortunate to have both options and I think you need to consider whether or not you're willing to drive an SUV daily. if so, go with the X6MC.if you really prefer a lower center of gravity and the performance of a sedan, the M8GC or something equivalent like a taycan, M760 or S8 might be better choices. obviously you have a SUV in the family, but the MB G63 is much more truck than SUV.
Thanks for taking the time to write. It definitely helps to have some perspective from someone who "get's it".
These are all great points.
The more I think about it ,the less "concerned" am I about having two SUVs. I am definitely leaning towards the X- it really is a monster .
My dealer may have located a Frozen Black/Sakhir with the HEA package!

And yes , even with the refinements in the new G , it's a completely different animal.

Appreciate the advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
AWESOM3
Private First Class
AWESOM3's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 17M4;15G63AMG;14E63SAMG
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ONTARIO,CANADA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
My wife and I were too cross shopping the X6M vs M8. Our old 2017 X6M was coming to the end of lease term, and we went to test drive the M8 and absolutely hated it. It is a gorgeous car inside and out, but interior ergonomics are awful. If you're tall you'll be cramped, if you're short you'll still be cramped and wont be able to see out of it. It really should've been a two seater.

We opted for the X6M.
You are absolutely right.
I drove the M8 Coupe Competition and the M850i GC back to back.
I remember commenting to the sales guy right after that the Coupe front seats were way more spacious -and that my knee rested against the side door panels in the GC- both when I sat in the driver and passenger seat--and I am not tall.
The reason I find these forums helpful is that when you put me in a fast noisy car I become less discerning and more like a kid in a candy store.
So your objective observations are valued.
One more point to the X.
Appreciate the advice.

Vik
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
AWESOM3
Private First Class
AWESOM3's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 17M4;15G63AMG;14E63SAMG
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ONTARIO,CANADA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
I think the M8 Is a gorgeous car but the M8GC looks a little odd and not "special" to me.

I guess the same could be said about X5M/X6M too I suppose. So, it all comes down to what you prefer...good luck with your decision OP.
Says the guy from Hawaii who had to Google the word snow
Just kidding.

Briefly looked at the Taycan.Not sure if I'm ready for the EV lifestyle yet.
Besides when they look at my carbon footprint with the G they may not let me into the dealership...
Appreciate 1
dds007240.00

      09-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #10
MystroX5
Brigadier General
MystroX5's Avatar
3160
Rep
3,039
Posts

Drives: 2020 X7 M50i 2019 M2 Comp
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central Pa.

iTrader: (0)

I really tried to like the M850i GC with many long test drives. My issue was it’s way too small of a cabin for the size of the car. The trunk is small as well compared to a SUV. I just never see myself doing a luxury sedan again. A luxury/muscle SUV just gives me everything I want on a luxury vehicle. I have dedicated sports cars for carving up the curves.
Appreciate 1
LSM521.50

      09-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #11
LSM
Major
LSM's Avatar
United_States
522
Rep
1,331
Posts

Drives: 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Cayenne Turbo Coupe Or X5M and a dedicated sports car is my vote

Have you driven the AMG GT S Sedan? I'd buy that over a M8GC

Think the X6M rear is hideous and M8GC other than a couple I have seen don't look special - think Lexus LS clone
Appreciate 2
dds007240.00
jstein556375.50

      09-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #12
dds007
First Lieutenant
dds007's Avatar
United_States
240
Rep
347
Posts

Drives: F85, F82
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWESOM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
I think the M8 Is a gorgeous car but the M8GC looks a little odd and not "special" to me.

I guess the same could be said about X5M/X6M too I suppose. So, it all comes down to what you prefer...good luck with your decision OP.
Says the guy from Hawaii who had to Google the word snow
Just kidding.

Briefly looked at the Taycan.Not sure if I'm ready for the EV lifestyle yet.
Besides when they look at my carbon footprint with the G they may not let me into the dealership...
Snow...I've heard of that. Thought it was a myth.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #13
jstein55
Brigadier General
jstein55's Avatar
United_States
6376
Rep
3,704
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
OP How about AMG GT4D, RS6 or RS7?

I know you said you don't like repeating but if you enjoyed your E63S, the wagon variant would be a good compromise while still having that special/rare factor.

Edit - Panamera Sedan/Sport Turismo's can be had with huge discounts and the ST is really special and unique on the road. Also new Cayenne GTS/Turbo look pretty good.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 Son's: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:28 AM   #14
SlowX6M
Enlisted Member
29
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2017 X6M
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWESOM3 View Post
You are absolutely right.
I drove the M8 Coupe Competition and the M850i GC back to back.
I remember commenting to the sales guy right after that the Coupe front seats were way more spacious -and that my knee rested against the side door panels in the GC- both when I sat in the driver and passenger seat--and I am not tall.
The reason I find these forums helpful is that when you put me in a fast noisy car I become less discerning and more like a kid in a candy store.
So your objective observations are valued.
One more point to the X.
Appreciate the advice.

Vik
I did not sample the GC version of the M8, but it seems to me that i has little to do with the actual 8 series - looks to be a heavily restyled M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #15
jstein55
Brigadier General
jstein55's Avatar
United_States
6376
Rep
3,704
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWESOM3 View Post
You are absolutely right.
I drove the M8 Coupe Competition and the M850i GC back to back.
I remember commenting to the sales guy right after that the Coupe front seats were way more spacious -and that my knee rested against the side door panels in the GC- both when I sat in the driver and passenger seat--and I am not tall.
The reason I find these forums helpful is that when you put me in a fast noisy car I become less discerning and more like a kid in a candy store.
So your objective observations are valued.
One more point to the X.
Appreciate the advice.

Vik
I did not sample the GC version of the M8, but it seems to me that i has little to do with the actual 8 series - looks to be a heavily restyled M5.
All of the 8er's are heavily restyled 6's which are restyled 5's. They are not in anyway shape or form a flagship in my opinion.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 Son's: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 1
LSM521.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST