05-03-2023, 08:02 AM   #1
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Beware of Simons Shine Shop in Chicago

This relates to my 2023 M5C/F90 cross posting just since I know there’s a large Chicago presence on here. They are removing Google reviews.

They have no business doing PPF. There are so many other places: Lustr, Luminescent Detailing, Chicago Auto Pros, Auto Image, All Wraps, and tons of others that can do WAY better work.

I’ve held off on sharing there name for months, this work was done in November, but they don’t want to do anything except redo the entire job, which to me isn’t even remotely acceptable.

There’s not a chance in hell I let them have a second crack at my car.

Here’s the review I left them on Google. I’m not one to review, this is my first ever review: https://g.co/kgs/3Szemj"]https://g.co/kgs/3Szemj"]https://g.co/kgs/3Szemj[/URL][/URL]

I didn’t add in the review, but after I showed them the work they said yeah we’ll redo the whole thing. I then called for months without a response. I pulled my call records from Verizon and in the last 60 days I called like 25 times and no one ever answered. Right after calling I called from my work cell and got a someone to pickup 3x in a row. At that point it was apparent they were ignoring me.

They finally replied to an email and said that I voided the warranty by having another shop remove it and that all they were willing to do was redo the whole job. They weren’t even willing to give me $500 back to cover the cost of removing it.

I paid between $6-7K I don’t remember exactly cause it was during their Black Friday sale, which in hindsight is red flag #1.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #2
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

That's unfortunate because for regular car washes, I've found them to be just fine, even if on the pricier side.

I'm a very anti-litigious person, but with the photos, and presumably written communication between you two, this seems like a slam dunk to get your money back, if you're up for the headache of pursuing this over $7k. You need to decide if it's worth it to you.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Who knows, but honestly there are way better car washes in the city. River North Hand Car Wash is good.

South Loop Hand Car was next to Bimmer Car Care at 2000 S Wabash, and their other location 1800 S State are not the best in terms of quality, but it’s a hand car wash and is ~$20. They are the best bang for the buck.

I’m sure there are others but those are the ones I have experience with that I can recommend. No you won’t get a PERFECT wash at either but you will leave satisfied, without damage, and not ripped off. For that both are at least 4 star outlets and I take my cars there.

I don’t know about litigating. I did them a favor not sharing their name. This work was done in November. It’s now May. They didn’t even offer me $500 to have it removed. Chicago Auto Pros is pricey, but great quality. They couldn’t believe their eyes when I asked them to take it off. Simon’s is full of shit!

That said their Mr. Beasley’s products are pretty good from what I hear.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

wow i would have been livid and its not like you paid a discount price either.
      05-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #5
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
wow i would have been livid and its not like you paid a discount price either.
That’s right and they’re removing my review on Google
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 03:32 PM   #6
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Wanted to provide an update — I spoke to Eastman who manufactures Llumar PPF. I was told by the shop they would use Llumar Matte. I have an invoice to prove it. Today, I spoke with Eastman and they said Simons has never ordered Matte PPF from them and the manufacturer is now investigating because clearly they are using some cheaper film and trying to pass it off as an established brand. I called the shop to add this to the list of shit they did. They hung up! 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 05:05 PM   #7
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyf90 View Post
That’s right and they’re removing my review on Google
I didn't know they could remove those. I thought it would be part and parcel of the google experience.

Plenty of 1-star bashes for that company are still up.
      05-05-2023, 05:08 PM   #8
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
I didn't know they could remove those. I thought it would be part and parcel of the google experience.

They did twice, then blocked me on IG too 😂
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-05-2023, 07:08 PM   #9
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post

You can't remove them, but you can flag them and then Google may take the review down while it investigates.
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2023, 11:20 PM   #10
Crusje
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Always use a credit card so you can dispute charges.
Appreciate 0