09-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #1
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Previously Unknown to me Feature: G05 Emergency Stop

Today I learned of a new feature that I was not previously aware of:

G05 Emergency Stopping -

Any other recent or unique features anyone?
Appreciate 5
      09-18-2023, 04:09 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

This is not new, it was available in my 2021 and is discussed in the User's Manual. In mine, it's on page 221.

"The emergency stop function is not triggered
automatically. The emergency stop function can
only be triggered manually by the occupants.
When the system is activated, the vehicle is
brought to a standstill in its own lane by use of
lane guidance.
Depending on the equipment version and national
market version, the system includes a lane
change function.
With lane change function: on motorways or motorway-
like roads, the system steers the vehicle
to the side of the road or shoulder where possible.
On other roads or under high traffic conditions,
the vehicle is brought to a standstill on the
actual road."

I've not tried it as I was not sure if the automatic emergency call then happened without a chance to cancel it, but the video does show that option.

You can continue to learn more about your vehicle by reading and re-reading the User's Manual, or viewing the videos stored in the vehicle, or the app. Yes, the manual is long, but the vehicle is complex...do yourself a favor and learn about it and its embedded features AND restrictions (like you can be jumpstarted in the PHEV, but you can damage your vehicle if you try to jump start someone else's - the 12vdc system is not designed for that large of a potential load).

After having had a stroke and crashing my airplane...I tell new passengers about it, just in case. Luckily, the plane didn't get off the ground, but was going 115mph when it abruptly hopped into the air over a bump and nosed-in. The light duty, primarily for an airfoil carbon fiber fuselage, I think, ended up acting like a huge air bag as it crushed, lessening the impact. Luckily, I don't remember any of it.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 04:24 PM   #3
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Correct - its not a new feature (the video is old) but "new to me" as I was previously unaware of this feature. Perhaps I should delete the word new above?

Just sharing so if there are others who didn't know of this feature like me could use it in emergency. Thanks for the UM page reference - will look it up there as well.
Appreciate 1
CGG171.50
      09-19-2023, 11:53 AM   #4
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
This is not new, it was available in my 2021 and is discussed in the User's Manual. In mine, it's on page 221.

"The emergency stop function is not triggered
automatically. The emergency stop function can
only be triggered manually by the occupants.
When the system is activated, the vehicle is
brought to a standstill in its own lane by use of
lane guidance.
Depending on the equipment version and national
market version, the system includes a lane
change function.
With lane change function: on motorways or motorway-
like roads, the system steers the vehicle
to the side of the road or shoulder where possible.
On other roads or under high traffic conditions,
the vehicle is brought to a standstill on the
actual road."

I've not tried it as I was not sure if the automatic emergency call then happened without a chance to cancel it, but the video does show that option.

You can continue to learn more about your vehicle by reading and re-reading the User's Manual, or viewing the videos stored in the vehicle, or the app. Yes, the manual is long, but the vehicle is complex...do yourself a favor and learn about it and its embedded features AND restrictions (like you can be jumpstarted in the PHEV, but you can damage your vehicle if you try to jump start someone else's - the 12vdc system is not designed for that large of a potential load).

After having had a stroke and crashing my airplane...I tell new passengers about it, just in case. Luckily, the plane didn't get off the ground, but was going 115mph when it abruptly hopped into the air over a bump and nosed-in. The light duty, primarily for an airfoil carbon fiber fuselage, I think, ended up acting like a huge air bag as it crushed, lessening the impact. Luckily, I don't remember any of it.
I read it as new to him. plus, not sure who actually reads the manual, ... Thanks OP for sharing as I didnt know about this "new to me" feature
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #5
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
plus, not sure who actually reads the manual,
Well, what did you folks do on those sleepless nights while waiting for your X5 to arrive? ;-)
Appreciate 1
bandersen587.00
      09-20-2023, 12:03 PM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I've been driving BMWs so long I get complacent about looking for new developments and totally missed the fact this feature existed.

Thank you, OP, for highlighting it.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2023, 01:23 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, there are lots of other 'jewels' in the operator's manual...the vehicle has a LOT of functionality that one wouldn't ever think about based on vehicles not that old. If you're not reading the User's Manual, you're missing out.
Appreciate 2
mobilejo1114.50
biterror515.50
      09-21-2023, 06:24 AM   #8
hmbmd116
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

It worked in my 2022 45e but not in my 2024 50e. According to the manual, in the new vehicle it is activated automatically via the driver attention camera and not pulling up on the emergency brake. The manual also says it can be activated my voice command.
Appreciate 0