BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-22-2024, 10:05 PM   #1
shed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7, Audi Q5 TDI Neutered

Anyone coming from a Q7?

Just about to put my order in for 50e. Loved how it drove. Felt better and more responsive driving than my Q7.

I have a 2018 Q7 Prestige. Also the top rated SUV by CR at the time. Really like the car, but I am a bit of a tech junkie in cars, and it's beginning to show its age. Also don't like the fact no Touch Screen for AA, whose UI is really not suited for non touchscreen controls.

For those who came from a Q7, what will I likely love or hate on the X5? For instance, I hear mixed things on the ventilated seats, which I really quite like on my Q7.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 08:56 AM   #2
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

X5 technology is light years ahead of Audi (and Porsche). I had a '21 A6 with dual touch screens and the '24 X5 with iDrive 8.5 is far superior. Also have the ventilated seats in my M60i and they work very well (I live in SC). Massaging seats are just okay.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      03-23-2024, 09:34 AM   #3
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

I only can refer when I had a Q7 for 500+ miles weekend trip.

It felt more quiet inside the cabin. Went smooth over any road bump (almost too much with occasional bouncing). I have a friend of mine they actually prefer that softer ride. The Q7 for the engine it has, is terrible in fuel consumption.

Tech, Display, iDrive X5 is ahead. Car handling and the engine of the X5 is to me clearly ahead.

But most important the Q7 didn’t provide any fun or excitement for me to drive. To me it felt more like a convenient family cruiser not like a SAV.

On the other side every time I drive my X5 50e I enjoy the ride and have fun. Almost an addiction to drive more.

Not enough time in the Q7 to judge seat cooling. But I like the more subtle but working seat cooling in the X5 (keeps my back dry in FL).
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      03-23-2024, 09:43 AM   #4
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

I've spent some time in a Q7 myself, it's a great SUV.

As is typical that I find of most Audis, it drives like its on rails. In contrast, the BMW can lash out on occasion (in a good way).

In a sense, Audi feels 100% German with its incredibly predictive behavior, and BMW is like 95% German with a 5% dose of a Latino dancer who can break into a spicy salsa rhythm at the drop of a hat.

And for the 50e specifically, you'll get a very obvious acceleration improvement over the Q7.
Appreciate 2
LDT1539.50
      03-23-2024, 09:53 AM   #5
shed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7, Audi Q5 TDI Neutered

How does dynamic cruise control compare?

I do a commute in stop go and love the features, but my biggest issue with the Audi one is it recognizes people coming in to your lane very late. It's like they have to be almost in the lane before it breaks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:10 AM   #6
LDT
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shed View Post
How does dynamic cruise control compare?

I do a commute in stop go and love the features, but my biggest issue with the Audi one is it recognizes people coming in to your lane very late. It's like they have to be almost in the lane before it breaks.
The highway assist and stop and go features work very well but....when in stop and go traffic and someone merges into your lane in front of you the system takes a while to recognize it. It's that way in my current X5 and was no different in my Audi and Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:25 AM   #7
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
I have both a 2019 X5 40i and a 2017 Q7. Throttle response on the X5 is much better than the Q7. Even with the Q7 in Sport mode the X5 throttle response, in comfort mode, is better. Cargo space I think goes to the X5. I don't have a spare on the X5 so the space underneath the deck gives the nod to the X. The X also gets the nod for technology. It just simple has more features than the Q. The 2024 Q7 has only a few improvements in technology since 2017. Now the 2nd row nod goes to the Q simply for the fact that the seats are adjustable and recline. Two big items for me when comparing a 2024 X5 to the 2024 Q7 are soft close doors and acoustic glass. X doesn't have and the Q does. The Q also has some of the items that have been removed from the X over the years. Just my personal preference, the Q has a better looking interior design than the X. I really don't like the new single display on the X.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:12 PM   #8
jazz120
Yanik
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Coming from an Audio Q7 2018 Prestige as well , switched to X5 M50i in 2022.
It is really day and night difference aside from the engine being 6 vs 8 cylinders. Technologically X5 is more advanced as well as comfort of the seats and the overall ride is superior to Q7. So it’s a good replacement : )
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:16 PM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shed View Post

For those who came from a Q7, what will I likely love or hate on the X5? For instance, I hear mixed things on the ventilated seats, which I really quite like on my Q7.
I had three S line Q7 (two TDI, one TFSI) including my last one which was a 2015 Sport Limited Prestige (only 750 made) that I traded-in for a 2021 45e M Sport. I consider the 45e one of the best purchases I’ve made in my adult life. while I enjoyed all Q7, I’ve never said the same of them

most noticeable improvements for me:
1) better cabin technology in the 45e, which one can say is ‘obvious’ given the 6y difference. still, wireless Apple CarPlay is my friend. there’s a good mix of physical buttons and touch-screen UI, though the same can’t be said of the 50e (less physical buttons). I want to say Android Auto isn’t supported as well as Apple CarPlay (I could be wrong)

2) better air suspension on the 45e. even though both vehicles had 21” tires (squared non-RFT on the Q7 versus staggered RFT on the 45e), the ride was so much better on the 45e. it was one of the first praises my family mentioned during their initial rides in it. (note I did change to a squared 20” RFT setup not for ride issues but for increased tread wear and availability.)

3) quieter cabin in the 45e. sure U.S. models can’t option acoustic glass, but I can set the media volume at 15-20% on the HK audio system and listen happily. surprisingly, when I turn it up for hip-hop or EDM, my teenage kids actually tell me it’s too loud! (choice of music maybe? lol)

4) I prefer BMW’s driver assistance features better than Audi’s and also prefer the steering wheel controls for cruise control on the BMW versus the stalk on the Audi

5) the heated steering wheel is one of my favorite features on my M Sport 45e. Audi deleted this option in all S Line Q7

6) this one isn’t really fair, but with the 45e being a PHEV, I only have to fill up with fuel around long road trips as my weekly work commutes are completely covered under electric power. having solar PV at home to offset charging costs is great, too, so overall I save money when “refueling”

there are a few things that I did prefer on the Q7, though:
1) its air suspension level isn’t dependent on the drive mode. in the 45e/50e, it is. for example, if I’m in Sport suspension level while in Electric Drive mode and switch to Hybrid drive mode, the suspension rises to Normal which is the level attached to that drive mode. I want it to stay in Sport level at all times, but I have to toggle it after the drive mode switch. (my body can easily feel the difference; Normal is too “floaty” for my liking.)

2) when reversing in the rain (front wipers activated), the Q7 automatically swipes the rear wiper blade whereas in the BMW, it will do this only if the rear wiper blade is already activated, the difference being a constant motion when in reverse versus intermittent

3) direct install aftermarket running boards were an option for the Q7 (I installed the ones pictured below). none exist for the M Sport X5

4) ventilated seats. cooled A/C air is pushed out from the seat vents on the Q7 versus warm radiant air from seating surfaces being sucked in on the X5. from what I’ve gathered over the years, most prefer the former (myself included) though BMW’s works adequately as designed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      03-23-2024, 01:38 PM   #10
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
Two big items for me when comparing a 2024 X5 to the 2024 Q7 are soft close doors and acoustic glass.
I have soft close doors with the 50e.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:14 AM   #11
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

[QUOTE=nZtiZia;31012193]I had three S line Q7 (two TDI, one TFSI) :
1) better cabin technology in the 45e, which one can say is ‘obvious’ given the 6y difference. still, wireless Apple CarPlay is my friend. there’s a good mix of physical buttons and touch-screen UI, though the same can’t be said of the 50e (less physical buttons). I want to say Android Auto isn’t supported as well as Apple CarPlay (I could be wrong)

Android Auto user here. It was fussy and unpredictable when I started using it in '22 but it has gradually improved. I don't know if the most recent iDrive update is responsible, but Android Auto works well now. My only complaint is that it immediately shows Google Maps on the display even if I'm not navigating anywhere.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2024, 07:26 PM   #12
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

I test drove a 2023 sq7 in December really good incentives and ended up with a 2021 x5m50i.

Pros of the Q7
- I liked the seats
- standard air suspension
- ability to tune to ridiculous power numbers if that’s your speed
- little higher towing rating

Cons:
- the dual screen infotainment and the push to click screens think blackberry 2008 really killed it for me
- a little less cargo space interior wise in the q7 lower sloped roof in the back.

Don’t think you can go wrong with either one tbh, personal preference and for me that was more familiarity with working and driving bmws. Also think the x5 will retain a bit more resale value and age better than the Audi.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 12:14 AM   #13
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

I also had a 2018 Q7 mid optioned Prestige and replaced it with a 2023 M50i.
Q7
- quieter interior, especially at highway speeds
- I remember brakes having better feel, although they may not perform as well
- better interior fit. All gaps were uniform, or minimal
- more ambient lighting choices
- throttle response from a stop in sport mode was more instantaneous (either fuel mapping or result of the supercharger)
- Bose system was about or almost as good as B&W and let you adjust the sub level.
- more room in second row, reclining seats. Has 3rd row seats at similar similar size
- $75k Prestige model had soft-close doors
- virtual cockpit displayed edge to edge and could be toggled to display the navigation map full-screen.
- had adjustable steering wheel heat
- could take over and control rear climate settings from front menu
- child door safety locks can be controlled from drivers door. Great for school dropoff.

X5 M50i
- much flatter in turns while in sport mode (DHP)
- turning at high or low speeds while in sport mode feels phenomenal due to rear-wheel steering.
- I'm pretty sure this is faster in turns.
- V8 vs V6 sound
- Transmission is light years faster
- more premium interior (Alcantara headliner, merino leather, heated arm rests, lighted moonroof, wood trim choices, more interior color choices)
- driving aids are better, more advanced
- I find this car to be more fun to drive
- wait time for a custom order is significantly less.
- this suspension seems to manage some road bumps better and doesn't upset balance, although you still feel most of it.
- putting traction in sport or turning off adds additional control or less interference during turns.
- better headlights/visibility (laser)

While the Q7 ventilated seats May function better overall, one thing they do not do is blow air conditioned air onto your bottom. Instead they pull ambient cabin air in blow it out of the seat. Ford/Lincoln pull cooled air from the climate system and push it through the seat (cold air). Mercedes used to also do this. I would say that the Q7 ventilated seats are better and more noticeable during hot times of the year; however, they are nowhere near as good as the air condition seats I had in my 2011 Lincoln MKX.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 01:48 AM   #14
pixelate
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

My previous car was a 2018 Q7 prestige with good options but not the "S-line" stuff. Now with a 2024 X5 M60i fairly loaded up.

A lot of good comments above that I agree with. I went with the Q7 after my previous CPO 2008 X5 got a bit heavy on maintenance costs, and primarily chose the Q7 to get a quieter ride for long hauls, which it provided. I have very little to complain about the Q7; it was very nice inside, had good features, good towing capacity and towing ride, drove well and looked good.

With my X5 being a 6-year newer car, all the electronic systems are better and faster. Wireless CarPlay, the large touch screen, and the customizeable gauge dash display are significant improvements; not sure if the current Audis match that or not. My particular X5 is loaded with options so it's got a more upscale and sporty interior, and the body style is "cooler" than the Q7 for sure, though the Q7 is handsome enough.

A minor complaint about the X5 -- the steering wheel control buttons: should have an audio mute button, and the scroll wheel would be more useful as a volume control! I went in with some concern about road noise with the lack of acoustic glass and low-ish profile tires (which was definitely part of the issue with my 2008 X5) but it has been fine in that regard (I went with the 21" wheels to avoid the worst case).

Overall I like my X5 quite a bit more, due the combination of being newer (more advanced), sportier, more optioned, and just subjectively nicer. The Q7 already had good adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning features, but the X5 is a noticeable step ahead of that with the full driver assistance option.
2008 BMW X5 xDrive48i mineral green
1972 BMW 2002 agave green
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2024, 09:06 AM   #15
LDT
Major
Rep

pixelate "A minor complaint about the X5 -- the steering wheel control buttons: should have an audio mute button, and the scroll wheel would be more useful as a volume control!"
There is a mute function on the steering wheel. Press the scroll wheel.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2024, 09:07 AM   #16
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue87 View Post
- could take over and control rear climate settings from front menu
You can do this in the X5 as well. There's a menu for HVAC to adjust fan speed and temperature via iDrive, and one of the options is for the rear seats. Unfortunately for whatever reason it won't let you save the rear seat HVAC as a present button, so you end up having to save the menu above it. Although maybe I can save the rear ac lockout as the preset and that would get me there... Gotta try that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:30 AM   #17
PunsGalore
BMW Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Wagon

In addition to my E91, I have a 2019 Q7 3.0 Prestige. It is very quiet, comfortable, and good looking - at the time it ranked higher than the X5, and I needed the 3rd row. With that said, I will not be buying another Audi and will instead stick to Porsche and BMW. I feel Audi Build quality, driving feel, and looks have decreased significantly in the past 5 years. While BMW's/Porsches don't look as good as they did 10+ years ago, they retain decent driving dynamics, have superb build quality, and good tech in a user friendly package - they're also more reliable. In 3 years Im planning on trading my Q7 for an X5, as the Cayenne looks like a fish and is extremely overpriced. I do quite like the 718/911 models
      03-28-2024, 09:31 AM   #18
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
You can do this in the X5 as well. There's a menu for HVAC to adjust fan speed and temperature via iDrive, and one of the options is for the rear seats. Unfortunately for whatever reason it won't let you save the rear seat HVAC as a present button, so you end up having to save the menu above it. Although maybe I can save the rear ac lockout as the preset and that would get me there... Gotta try that.
I'll have to try it out. Thank you for the recommendation. I do not recall accomplishing anything in the climate menus being as intuitive as it was in the Q7, since this in particular could be done using physical buttons.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:17 AM   #19
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue87 View Post
I'll have to try it out. Thank you for the recommendation. I do not recall accomplishing anything in the climate menus being as intuitive as it was in the Q7, since this in particular could be done using physical buttons.
I've been trying to figure out how to get it to save new default temperatures and fan speeds for the rear. I set it one time, but didn't make it cold enough or enough fan speed for the kiddos in the back. I change it , but it goes back to my old default after I turn the car off and I can't seem to get it to save over the old default, lol. These cars have a lot of tech that can be difficult at times.
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      03-28-2024, 03:38 PM   #20
pixelate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
pixelate "A minor complaint about the X5 -- the steering wheel control buttons: should have an audio mute button, and the scroll wheel would be more useful as a volume control!"
There is a mute function on the steering wheel. Press the scroll wheel.
Ah! Thanks for the tip, I will try that. I don't like having to take my eyes off the road and locate the volume/mute button over on the center dash -- it's a bit too far over and down to just reach out and tap it without looking.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 03:44 PM   #21
LDT
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelate View Post
Ah! Thanks for the tip, I will try that. I don't like having to take my eyes off the road and locate the volume/mute button over on the center dash — it's a bit too far over and down to just reach out and tap it without looking.
I misspoke as the steering wheel scroll wheel does not mute. But if you have gesture control the peace symbol ✌️will mute and unmute the audio.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 11:00 AM   #22
pixelate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
I misspoke as the steering wheel scroll wheel does not mute. But if you have gesture control the peace symbol ✌️will mute and unmute the audio.
Yeah, I tried clicking the scroll wheel it on the way home yesterday with no success. I shall try the peace sign!
Appreciate 0