BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-18-2023, 06:38 PM   #23
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando95 View Post
I had 5 Audis before leaping to my first BMW with the X5 M60i. I think there are pros and cons to both brands, had no issues with Audi, but so far loving the BMW!
The BMW M60i is just awesome.
Appreciate 2
LDT1539.50
      09-18-2023, 06:48 PM   #24
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I bought out the lease on our X5 but will not be buying another X5. Don't like the interior on the newer models.

Probably will go back to a sports sedan or wagon. Will make that decision when I'm ready to move on but leaning toward an Audi RS6 Avant.
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      09-18-2023, 06:58 PM   #25
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
I bought out the lease on our X5 but will not be buying another X5. Don't like the interior on the newer models.

Probably will go back to a sports sedan or wagon. Will make that decision when I'm ready to move on but leaning toward an Audi RS6 Avant.
Maybe the M5 wagon?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:03 PM   #26
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:

RS6 is a crazy cool vehicle. I could see one of those in our stable soon.
Vehicle interiors are changing rapidly and not just BMW.
We looked at the new 7th generation Mustang GTs the other day. Awesome car with great V8 sound. Even they are sporting the greatly expanded LCD across the dashboard which is very cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:12 PM   #27
whynotme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 xDrive 40i

Well, just joined the X5 family, but I did have a 2019 xDrive 330i for about 2 months. Turned out to be too small for my life, so moved on to an Audi A6.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 08:01 PM   #28
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Oh ...I'm interested in what people post as well. Before buying the X5, I was in an X3 and loved it, just wanted something a bit bigger but before buying the X5 I test drove a plethora of SUV class cars. Some less and some more pricey than the X5. One by one, we ruled them out, each for their own reasons but I think mainly due to their drive train and performance.
Still, things change every year and I will do the same test drives before replacing the X5 so am interested in peoples choices and especially their rationale. So c'mon people, post
This is the same route I took. Really enjoyed my X3 (and still have it) but wanted something bigger, something I enjoyed driving, and had all the new tech to go with it. I tried a bunch and researched until making my decision on my X5e. Depending on how the upcoming G65 will be, then that may either sway my decision on upgrading or getting something else altogether.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:37 PM   #29
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

I've never owned 2 vehicles from the same manufacturer, but do like the blend of sport and luxury BMW offers. While not as luxurious as the X5, I'd like to get into a M3/4 next. I came from an Audi Q7 and while I liked a lot about it, especially the quiet interior (X5 is noisy at HWY speeds), they tend to remove luxury items on their sporty models which is why I tried BMW. Wishful thinking would be a Panamera Turbo S since theres room for my girls in the back.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 07:08 AM   #30
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jszlaga View Post
Maybe the M5 wagon?
I wish, but I don't think it will be sold in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 08:05 AM   #31
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundeyvoo View Post
This is the same route I took. Really enjoyed my X3 (and still have it) but wanted something bigger, something I enjoyed driving, and had all the new tech to go with it. I tried a bunch and researched until making my decision on my X5e. Depending on how the upcoming G65 will be, then that may either sway my decision on upgrading or getting something else altogether.
How was the upgrade. I'm shopping the x5 and coming from an x3. The few test drives have me resenting my 18 x3. From my short experience, the x5 is better in every way. Wondering if there's things I'll miss from the x3.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 08:17 AM   #32
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
How was the upgrade. I'm shopping the x5 and coming from an x3. The few test drives have me resenting my 18 x3. From my short experience, the x5 is better in every way. Wondering if there's things I'll miss from the x3.
The X3 I came from was a 2011 35i. The only thing I miss is its raw power. The G05 is just as quick but it's much more refined so you don't get that sudden thrust into the seatback like I did with my X3, especially when I put it in sport mode. However, this is the price you pay for luxury, compared to the G05, that X3 was pretty crude. You'll get into an X5 and never look back
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 09:46 AM   #33
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
I wish, but I don't think it will be sold in the US.
So far all rumors are pointing to the fact that it will be coming here. Of course anything can change between now and when production begins in November of 24 but it is sounding like it may actually become a reality this time around. The biggest concern then would be at what price point…

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga461.00
      09-19-2023, 09:55 AM   #34
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

For reasons I can’t quite recall, we moved out of BMWs into Lexuses a couple of years ago. The Lexi were virtually bulletproof, but soooooo boring. Hard to stay awake driving them. Now, I’m in an iX M60 and I’m trying to lever my wife out of her Lexus RX350 and into an X5 50e because I absolutely hate driving her Lexus.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 12:32 PM   #35
jbirdav8r
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e, '24 M4Cx

I've been into cars and specifically BMWs for most of my life. I've owned two BMWs previously--2012 E92 328i 6MT coupe (that I shed a tear when I sold, didn't have to sell, never should have) and 2019 G01 X3 M40i. The E92 was a phenomenal car with 100,000+ relatively trouble-free miles. Broke the cupholder and had a DMTL pump failure, both covered under warranty. That's it. Not a squeak or a rattle to be found.

Never really fell in love with the G01 M40i. It was a nice car, as fast as anyone needs, but it just felt like it was trying to do everything--be super sporty with a stiff ride, but also a big top-heavy SUV. It did things well but it was too much of a compromise for me. Plus it had some annoying issues, like the infamous kidney grill shutter failure and a control arm replacement, in my relatively short three years with it. Overall, it was a great car, and man did I love that B58. Just never bonded with it.

Then they started offering stupid money for used cars. I sold my M40i 3 years old with 28k miles for a few thousand away from what I paid for it new, and bought a new Tesla Model 3 Long Range. I like new tech, so I wanted to try a battery electric vehicle and Full Self-Driving.

Big mistake. Huge.

The Tesla hasn't really "broken" per se, but it's a literal rattletrap. It is put together with less care than a 1994 Hyundai. When I got it brand new, the trunk was so misaligned it rubbed off some paint on the rear fender. The panel gaps are an assortment of different widths. One of the parking sensors was pushed in, and there was a scratch on the door jamb that had a Tesla inspection sticker on there--but that they just didn't do anything about. And that's Tesla ownership in a nutshell. Volume, volume, volume. Get them out the door and get paid for them, then basically abandon you to terrible service. Doesn't matter--they have your money already, and enough rabid fanaticism around them to not miss you as a customer if you move on.

The seats rattle. The doors rattle. The paint is like an Earl Scheib job from the 80s--feels like some doofus just sort of waved a spray gun in the general direction of the body and called it good. And the tech...okay, that deserves its own paragraph.

It can be downright dangerous. Even the bog standard driver assist features are not nearly as good as those on even a Toyota. My auto windshield wipers come on in the bright blue sky, and are nowhere to be found in a torrential downpour. Turning them on manually requires looking at the damn screen to punch through menus to find the controls--in the pouring rain. And Autopilot? The most nerve-wracking feature ever. You just never know when the car is going to decide to stomp on the brakes--hard--and scare the crap out of you. It's not just annoying, it's a safety hazard. BMW has better driver assist tech than Tesla and I don't even think it's close.

Full self-driving is another story. In short, it ain't. I compare it to teaching a 15-year-old how to drive. You're simultaneously impressed with what they do know, and horrified as it tries to send you off into the curb, oncoming traffic, or Wonderland. It speeds up and slows down on some interstates as it gets really confused on the speed limit. If it sees a shadow under the bridge, it will throw on the phantom brakes. I have to intervene regularly. It's nowhere near ready for a wide release. I don't think it is anywhere as good as Elon Musk intimates. Disclaimer: I'm rooting for it, but it's not there yet.

So less than two short years later, which is far shorter than I usually sell a car, I'm getting rid of it for an X5 50e. I think a plug-in hybrid (especially one with that beautiful B58 attached) is a better fit for the kind of traveling my wife and I do. The DAP on the X5 looks head and shoulders above anything Tesla offers--you can't even take your hands off the steering wheel in any Tesla at any time. I know the Model 3 will make a great purchase for the right buyer, but it's just not right for me. And it's not right for anyone who has any sort of expectation that the car will drive itself autonomously any time in the next several years.

Most of the rest of my family has Volvos--my wife, my folks and my in-laws. Roof leaks and electrical faults (which may or may not be because of the roof leaks) seem to plague them. And they're just not too inspiring to drive. They're "fine." But every BMW I've driven just seems to be on another level. And as for my itch for performance, my wife is now thinking about a G42 M240i and I am here for it. With that and the X5, I think we'd have a garage where we'd both be happy all of the time.

TL;DR: My first non-BMW purchase in a decade was a Tesla. It was a downgrade and I didn't like it. Going back to the X5 and not looking back.
Appreciate 2
      09-19-2023, 07:58 PM   #36
rundeyvoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 / X3 / 330e / 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
It's been great! I can't complain and definitely worth it especially coming from an older X3. It's just a more refined and bigger vehicle altogether. Still nimble for a big vehicle, but the X3 is more maneuverable overall. I even tried out the newer G01 X3, but after driving the X5... I knew it was time to make the jump to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
The X3 I came from was a 2011 35i. The only thing I miss is its raw power. The G05 is just as quick but it's much more refined so you don't get that sudden thrust into the seatback like I did with my X3, especially when I put it in sport mode. However, this is the price you pay for luxury, compared to the G05, that X3 was pretty crude. You'll get into an X5 and never look back
Seems like we were in the same boat (or car lol) and is exactly my thoughts when deciding on the X5 or similar sized competitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 09:42 PM   #37
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I went from an X5 to a Porsche Macan.
Not to bash you, or criticize your judgment that’s like going from a Q8 to Q5 Both really nice cars but just much smaller the macan is very over priced . I would’ve stuck with the. X5 Not to mention the ridiculous pricing on service and maintenance
Appreciate 1
spoodle172.50
      09-20-2023, 06:58 AM   #38
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540 Xdrive

You pose an interesting question that was far less likely to see when I got my first BMW in 2015. Back then I simply wanted a peppy, luxury adjacent vehicle and the lease price on a 328i was a good value. Previously, while it was never a stretch financially to own a BMW, I was a value shopper. Then I got an almost perfect CPO 535Xdrive, then ordered a 2020 540Xdrive and now my current X5.

I was never deluded into thinking BMW made the perfect luxury car. but the quality (interior is a solid step up in quality over my wife's GLE 350), drivetrain (absolutely nothing beats the B58/ZF combo) and the overall shape kept me in the fold. At a lease price of low $600s per month I could forgive some of the faults of the current crop of BMWs. At almost double that for a modestly equipped 40i I am less forgiving. Understand my '22 has been trouble free and is a nice vehicle overall. I still have the 3/22 version of the software and still have Auto Start Stop coded off.

Seeing where BMW seems to be going concerns me. First and probably most important is the decontenting. While other markets can still get air suspension, acoustic glass, etc. BMW has made a conscious and deliberate effort to screw American buyers. In almost every road test of 3 and 5 series there is a note how the adaptive dampers make the ride very good. Those same dampers which are included as standard on every X5 seem to be the farthest thing from adaptive on terrible PA roads. If they worked at all I would probably not consider other vehicles. But the simple answer, which I would happily pay the $1000 cost for, is the air suspension. But while you can get it in Canada and elsewhere, it has been withheld from the 40i in the USA for 3 years now. They make it. It is available. We just don't get it.

And let's discuss the auto start stop. There are really two things at issue: one is the lack of an off button. The second is that it is poorly engineered. As noted my wife has an MB GLE 350. Her car went in for service and they gave us the newly redesigned GLC (one category lower, comparable to an X3) for a loaner. Disregard for a moment the notably superior ride over potholes and expansion joints (with no EDC). It is also now a mild hybrid. MB does the mild hybrid far better. First, even in 2023 it has an on off button. However, even with it on it is far, far more seamless than BMW's system.

If I am going to pay premium prices I would at least like a vehicle that rides as well as (or not much worse) that a Hyundai Santa Fe (which my mother in law has and does ride better than my X5). It seems like, other than the upgraded power for the 40i (which is already the best powertrain in the segment) almost every "upgrade" on the LCI is a step backward (powertrain issues on the 50e, removal of rear door sensors, increased road noise, A/C issues on X5 and X7, inability to code out A**, continued poor ride quality).

Never say never. The new 5 series will be driven when it comes out, but if the LCI of the X5 is an indicator, I am not confident. And maybe some of the items mentioned will be addressed by the time I start looking into a new vehicle in 18 months. The new e class seems to have gone back to more traditional focus of comfort and luxury and it has made more options available, not less (jury is out on MB reliability). But as of right now I am very much considering other manufacturers for my next vehicle when I do not even test drive any other brand in my last 3 vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 08:25 AM   #39
Ghasley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi eTron; Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaPuck123 View Post
Ok, I may get flamed for this but still posting

When/If it was time to move on from BMW, which car did you buy?

We currently lease a 2022 X5, and are looking for the next vehicle. Overall, I like the X5 but don't see keeping it past the lease term due to noisy/squealing brakes, gear selector issues and tire noise. Dealership looked at these but were either unable to either fix the problem or mentioned "that's the typical BMW behavior".

The problem, however, is that every car I test drive does not seem as exciting as the X5. Ideally, we want a reliable 3 row SUV but as fun as the X5. X7 is nice, but X5 issues scare me.
Past several vehicles:
2021 BMW X5 45e
2020 Audi Etron S Prestige (wife)
2017 Range Rover HSE
2016 Audi SQ5
2014 Audi A8
2014 Audi Allroad (wife)
2012 BMW X3 3.5i
2010 Porsche 911
2008 Lexus GX
2006 Range Rover HSE
2004 BMW 328 (wife)

For context I bought my first BMW as an 18 year old in 1979 (a 1979 320i S). I’ve owned collectible examples of M cars along the way (e30 M3, e28 M5, e36 M3, e46 M3, etc). Typically we would have the wife’s car, something sporty but road trip worthy and a SUV. In other words, I’ve loved and owned BMW’s for almost 45 years and at one point, six straight car purchases were BMW’s. I’ve never leased a car and the only time I finance is when its forced upon me (BMW Financial trunk cash/zero apr) and then I paid it off after 3 or 4 months.

My 2021 X5 45e has been a fantastic car. It totally worked for my daily needs where the electric only range covered 95% of my daily duties. Spring and fall commutes were completely electric and winter and summer commutes the ICE would kick in for the last several miles when the battery depleted. Charged every night, absolutely wonderful for my needs. Never a warning light, never an issue, just routine oil changes/recommended service intervals. 60,000 trouble free miles over approximately 33 months. In fact, I’m struggling to remember any unanticipated dealer visits for any of the aforementioned cars other than the various Takata airbag recalls and a couple of scheduled TSB campaigns on the Etron.

With that preamble, I ordered a 2024 X5 50e from my dealer. Later went in to see the new interior layout…I was lukewarm and not really feeling the full integration of HVAC into the touchscreen but I thought what the heck, I would get used to it. Then drove one and thought the HVAC through the new vents was atrocious (yes, I adjusted the airflow settings through iDrive). Then cue up all the recent troubles so many have experienced with all the CEL’s, stop sales, etc. Reading about the lengthy stays in the shop and I decided to move on from BMW and cancelled my order. One reason in particular is I live 4 hours from my nearest BMW dealer (wonderful dealer) and potential extended shop stays would be terribly inconvenient given the drop off and retrieval logistics.

Previous to placing my 2024 X5 order I also had ordered a Land Rover Defender 110 at the beginning of 2023 and it came in in August. Ordered it for the mountains, not as a daily, however the more I drove it awaiting the X5 50e arrival I just began to question whether the new BMW ethos was consistent with what I wanted and how I drive…The Defender is not as sporty as the X5 but I didnt particulary drive my X5 that way…it was just transportation and basically just a taller wagon/estate. The Defender is a more comfortable road trip car that the X5 due to the seats and the driving position. Its a terrific vehicle and I dig the throwback styling inside and out and I further appreciate that it doesnt feel like a VR video game to drive. Extraordinarily capable. I believe BMW has evolved their seating away from where they were once dominant…today they are less than ideal with their seating comfort. The BMW I first did business with would never have beta tested their cars on the customer and I can’t for the life of me figure out how you screw up a LCI like they seem to have done.

I’m not sure I will ever return to BMW as the interiors have followed an unwelcome trend and reliability/QC has evidently become a thing but at the end of the day, these are just cars and I’m kind of unemotional about which one I buy. I just want it to do the job. Hopefully no flames for just answering the OP’s question. The X5 50e, on paper, is the ideal daily driver-road trip vehicle but the execution has been comical.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 08:31 AM   #40
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Some of us forget that BMW is and has been a performance oriented vehicle throughout its history. Certain BMW models are much more driver/performance oriented but all share a common DNA with this being a very well known fact in automotive circles.
Guys who are focused on extremely plush, soft, interiors, sound isolation, and a silky smooth ride will likely be better served by a Cadillac or Lexus type vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 09:08 AM   #41
Ghasley
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Some of us forget that BMW is and has been a performance oriented vehicle throughout its history. Certain BMW models are much more driver/performance oriented but all share a common DNA with this being a very well known fact in automotive circles.
Guys who are focused on extremely plush, soft, interiors, sound isolation, and a silky smooth ride will likely be better served by a Cadillac or Lexus type vehicle.
BMW seats have gone downhill…and there are some who have been around the brand long enough to remember that styling was an exercise in form follows function…some BMW models today are flat out FUGLY…in fact I was speaking to a friend who campaigned/owned a racing team for BMW for many years (he switched his team to Porsche several years ago) and we were chuckling at the memory of the Chris Bangle designs which today seem downright traditional. The XM, the Neue, the IX, the huge toothy look (the 4?) may be sane designs which would render my tastes vastly out of step…which is fine with me.

When I first began buying BMW’s, they occupied the space between Porsche and Mercedes….sportier, more driver oriented than Mercedes and more versatile than Porsche. Audi wasn’t in the picture then…it was just a rebadged VW. I drove cross country in my e30 M3 and it was terrific. I had a 1988 911 Targa at the same time and I preferred the M3 for 90% of driving. BMW is eroding its brand equity and credibility but that’s ok too, its theirs to erode if they choose to. Some may cross shop with Lexus or Cadillac as you mention, however I dont.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 09:21 AM   #42
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghasley View Post
BMW seats have gone downhill…and there are some who have been around the brand long enough to remember that styling was an exercise in form follows function…some BMW models today are flat out FUGLY…in fact I was speaking to a friend who campaigned/owned a racing team for BMW for many years (he switched his team to Porsche several years ago) and we were chuckling at the memory of the Chris Bangle designs which today seem downright traditional. The XM, the Neue, the IX, the huge toothy look (the 4?) may be sane designs which would render my tastes vastly out of step…which is fine with me.

When I first began buying BMW’s, they occupied the space between Porsche and Mercedes….sportier, more driver oriented than Mercedes and more versatile than Porsche. Audi wasn’t in the picture then…it was just a rebadged VW. I drove cross country in my e30 M3 and it was terrific. I had a 1988 911 Targa at the same time and I preferred the M3 for 90% of driving. BMW is eroding its brand equity and credibility but that’s ok too, its theirs to erode if they choose to. Some may cross shop with Lexus or Cadillac as you mention, however I dont.
Interesting that someone here with a handful of posts is so forcefully negative about BMW. Very odd indeed.
Porsche, BMW, Audi, MB, are all evolving as they do and have always done. Quite unrealistic to expect any of them to market the same vehicles to a small number of traditionalists highly critical and unable to accept change.
Change will occur in every thing whether we as individuals are on board or not. You can accept and enjoy new products which will never be perfect or elect to stick with prior models and essentially live in the past.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 09:33 AM   #43
Skimo612
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghasley View Post

I agree with much of what you say--and I would add that many companies are getting away from the root of what made them a success.

I feel like Porsche and Toyota are mixed.
I feel like VW has totally lost it.
I feel like Mercedes and Honda are getting better again.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 09:39 AM   #44
Ghasley
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Interesting that someone here with a handful of posts is so forcefully negative about BMW. Very odd indeed.
Porsche, BMW, Audi, MB, are all evolving as they do and have always done. Quite unrealistic to expect any of them to market the same vehicles to a small number of traditionalists highly critical and unable to accept change.
Change will occur in every thing whether we as individuals are on board or not. You can accept and enjoy new products which will never be perfect or elect to stick with prior models and essentially live in the past.
Alot of owners choose to drive their cars for what they are, transportation, rather than frequently post. I was active in the specialist circles (e28’s, e30’s, etc) but I have other interests, as do the vast majoirty of car buyers. You are mis-reading my posts. I love BMW, always will…even you might admit quietly that occasionally BMW loses its way. I assure you I’m not living in the past, I just wish BMW would use logic when evolving the product line. Everyone seems to be enamored with sub 5 second 0-60 times in a 5,000lb SUV when its still underbraked, running on runflats and with marginal visibility. You are welcome to embrace all functions through a touchscreen and I love that most functions have found their way into a centralized interface….but come on, HVAC? fan speed?…its unfortunate and less intuitive. Want adaptive cruise? Its buried in a package that isnt necessary.

And lest you brand me as the antithesis to the fanboy, I have multiple 2021 X7’s for my workplace runabouts. I dont drive them but once or twice per year and hadnt given the HVAC controls much thought until recently. They are perfect for what I need them to be and I have several more on order, I just wont be the primary driver.
Appreciate 0