BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #221
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
My advice to everyone who asks is to go in knowing everything you can about the pricing, the process, where the profit is, what the deals and rates etc are, then tell them what you are looking for, this forum proves there are lots of dealers willing to give reasonable discounts and if yours will not, then be willing to try another one.

The easiest thing to do (this is not exact but will get you close enough without doing crazy math) is to build it online and get the MSRP.

The dealer makes markup (money over invoice) plus holdbacks and factory incentives etc, so they make ok money at or around invoice - $500 over invoice I would consider reasonable on a new model like this. Any incentives offered by BMW DO NOT come out of the dealers pocket, so are always on top of your best discount off MSRP.

Markup from Invoice is around 7.5%, 500 over invoice is about 7% off MSRP - lots of dealers are doing in and around the 6-7% discount off MSRP according to this thread.

Make a spreadsheet sometimes helps, but take MSPR off the website, then calculate the price with a discount of where you want to start, say 7.5% (the 995 destination is not discountable so only discount the care not the destination). Then on top of that list the current incentives as a further reduction $1000 say for loyalty or APR credits.

That will give you a number you are willing to pay, also make sure you know that rates in your area, if you are leasing, ask them what the Money Factor is, it is 0.00182 (unless your credit is terrible - I think 800 is needed) they may also try to mark up the money factor so let them know you will pay the BMW published rate not marked up. If you are financing, then look up the rate on bmwusa.com - it is 2.89 or 4.35% depending on where you live - you may be able to do better from a credit union or bank, but you will loose any APR credit currently being offered.

You should also put all those numbers once you figure out what you want to pay in here https://www.calculator.net/auto-lease-calculator.html and this will tell you what your lease or loan payment will be based on those numbers (for the lease 10k miles residual is 59% of MSRP, 12k miles is 58% and 15k miles is 56% - this is off MSPR not what you are actually going to offer for the car - so if car is 100k, the price will be 93k with discount but residual will be 59k (59% of 100k). This will make sure that when they give you the payments you should be without 20 or 30 bucks, if it is 100 or 200 out, then they are playing games and marking something up somewhere.

Post is all up here and lots of people will help - don't be afraid to leave, tell them you need to review and get back to them, be serious, but you don't need to think on the fly and buy it today, if things confuse you, then tell them you are extremely interested, you need to look at the numbers and get back to them in a day or 2 - they will always be there to take any deal they offer, none are so good they won't give it to you the next day.

I agree with all of this but I contact the CA by email instead of in person. I tell them the build and give them the code off the BMW NA Build your Own site, and say I want to do a deal at XX% off MSRP (I did 6%) plus incentive and ask the CA if he is interested in doing a deal at that discount. I give him a couple of days to respond, saying I'd like to do business with him but if he cannot do it to let me know by close of business two days from now so I can keep shopping. If he says yes, I then ask for an email from him with all fees so there are no suprises. If acceptable, then I make an appointment to visit in person and do the paperwork.

I've done this twice now and its worked perfectly both times.

On my recently ordered X5, I thought 6% off MSRP plus 3k in incentives (plus another 1k from BMW CCA) was a good deal on a brand new model so thats what I asked for and they agreed. After reading the latest posts, I think I left 1% on the table. The 9.7% off MSRP that one poster claimed is not verified.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #222
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Oil Company View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Do you mind sharing how/where/from whom you were able to get 9.7% off MSRP? Thanks.
This has to be an employee deal, etc. Or he's not being completely straight with us. He posted his "great" deal to multiple threads on this forum, but then ghosted out and has yet to respond. I'm one of several folks that likely sent him a PM too that he hasn't responded to.

Remember - its still the internet......
Unless the markup is higher on the 40i I don't see a dealer giving that large of a discount without other incentives. I believe the 50i has a 7.5% markup but it's not very big based on the number dealers and BMW NA I've spoken with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustMD View Post
How does one approach a dealer asking for discounts on X5? Looking for ideas. I had no trouble asking for discounts at Subaru. At BMW, the salesperson looks at you as a rich person and doesn't bring up any discounts/specials.
Ask? Regardless of how much money you make asking never hurts. Dealers know people never expect MSRP unless it's a limited model or an inexperienced consumer. I think Porsche dealers have a bigger stigma than BMW or the other Germans, even then a discount can be had on just about everything sans the GT3/GT2 RS limited model.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #223
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
My advice to everyone who asks is to go in knowing everything you can about the pricing, the process, where the profit is, what the deals and rates etc are, then tell them what you are looking for, this forum proves there are lots of dealers willing to give reasonable discounts and if yours will not, then be willing to try another one.

The easiest thing to do (this is not exact but will get you close enough without doing crazy math) is to build it online and get the MSRP.

The dealer makes markup (money over invoice) plus holdbacks and factory incentives etc, so they make ok money at or around invoice - $500 over invoice I would consider reasonable on a new model like this. Any incentives offered by BMW DO NOT come out of the dealers pocket, so are always on top of your best discount off MSRP.

Markup from Invoice is around 7.5%, 500 over invoice is about 7% off MSRP - lots of dealers are doing in and around the 6-7% discount off MSRP according to this thread.

Make a spreadsheet sometimes helps, but take MSPR off the website, then calculate the price with a discount of where you want to start, say 7.5% (the 995 destination is not discountable so only discount the care not the destination). Then on top of that list the current incentives as a further reduction $1000 say for loyalty or APR credits.

That will give you a number you are willing to pay, also make sure you know that rates in your area, if you are leasing, ask them what the Money Factor is, it is 0.00182 (unless your credit is terrible - I think 800 is needed) they may also try to mark up the money factor so let them know you will pay the BMW published rate not marked up. If you are financing, then look up the rate on bmwusa.com - it is 2.89 or 4.35% depending on where you live - you may be able to do better from a credit union or bank, but you will loose any APR credit currently being offered.

You should also put all those numbers once you figure out what you want to pay in here https://www.calculator.net/auto-lease-calculator.html and this will tell you what your lease or loan payment will be based on those numbers (for the lease 10k miles residual is 59% of MSRP, 12k miles is 58% and 15k miles is 56% - this is off MSPR not what you are actually going to offer for the car - so if car is 100k, the price will be 93k with discount but residual will be 59k (59% of 100k). This will make sure that when they give you the payments you should be without 20 or 30 bucks, if it is 100 or 200 out, then they are playing games and marking something up somewhere.

Post is all up here and lots of people will help - don't be afraid to leave, tell them you need to review and get back to them, be serious, but you don't need to think on the fly and buy it today, if things confuse you, then tell them you are extremely interested, you need to look at the numbers and get back to them in a day or 2 - they will always be there to take any deal they offer, none are so good they won't give it to you the next day.

Thank you so much for such a nice explanation. I am going to start off with 7.5% off MSRP and hopefully they will agree to at least 6%. I read somewhere that Kelley Blue Book gives you fair purchase price range along with MSRP and Invoice prices.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #224
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with all of this but I contact the CA by email instead of in person. I tell them the build and give them the code off the BMW NA Build your Own site, and say I want to do a deal at XX% off MSRP (I did 6%) plus incentive and ask the CA if he is interested in doing a deal at that discount. I give him a couple of days to respond, saying I'd like to do business with him but if he cannot do it to let me know by close of business two days from now so I can keep shopping. If he says yes, I then ask for an email from him with all fees so there are no suprises. If acceptable, then I make an appointment to visit in person and do the paperwork.

I've done this twice now and its worked perfectly both times.

On my recently ordered X5, I thought 6% off MSRP plus 3k in incentives (plus another 1k from BMW CCA) was a good deal on a brand new model so thats what I asked for and they agreed. After reading the latest posts, I think I left 1% on the table. The 9.7% off MSRP that one poster claimed is not verified.

Best of luck.
Thank you for your tip! its always better to have things such as these in writing. either email or texting. 9.7% off MSRP is ridiculous. I don't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #225
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Thank you for your tip! its always better to have things such as these in writing. either email or texting. 9.7% off MSRP is ridiculous. I don't buy it.
Ya 10% is really hard to get to unless it includes incentives in that discount - on an 18 sure, on a 19 find it hard to believe.

Good luck with everything - I find once they know that you are smart did your homework and know where all the profit is and isn't they will be pretty straight with you (at least most of them in my experience). I don't approach them like the enemy, it is just a negotiation and the best thing to have in a negotiation is all the information - then it is a level playing field, nothing is hidden hopefully and it just comes down to how much profit you are willing to pay and they are willing to make - then it is simple.

And if you have not read it - find my BMW car club post and join if you have not - that will get you another $1000 check you apply for after you buy (nothing to do with the actual deal). And look at the USAA stuff some others have done - that is another $500 potential discount.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #226
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya 10% is really hard to get to unless it includes incentives in that discount - on an 18 sure, on a 19 find it hard to believe.

Good luck with everything - I find once they know that you are smart did your homework and know where all the profit is and isn't they will be pretty straight with you (at least most of them in my experience). I don't approach them like the enemy, it is just a negotiation and the best thing to have in a negotiation is all the information - then it is a level playing field, nothing is hidden hopefully and it just comes down to how much profit you are willing to pay and they are willing to make - then it is simple.

And if you have not read it - find my BMW car club post and join if you have not - that will get you another $1000 check you apply for after you buy (nothing to do with the actual deal). And look at the USAA stuff some others have done - that is another $500 potential discount.
Thank you so much again. Agreed! I will join the BMW car club. I dont think I will qualify for USAA.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #227
BimmerM5Comp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Buy at a dealer who will negotiate? I'm buying our of state for this exactly reason since you can have the car delivered to your local dealer if you have a good relationship with them.
How does the dealer to dealer delivery work? Is there a fee? Do both dealerships have to agree to it? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #228
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fan10 View Post
Quote:
Buy at a dealer who will negotiate? I'm buying our of state for this exactly reason since you can have the car delivered to your local dealer if you have a good relationship with them.
How does the dealer to dealer delivery work? Is there a fee? Do both dealerships have to agree to it? Thanks
No fee, it's referred to as a courtesy delivery. The dealer who takes delivery must agree (be in good terms with them) along with the dealer you're purchasing it from. My car will come with their normal vehicles as if it was one of theirs, go through PDI and that's it. The key here is the car doesn't ever go to the purchasing dealer so there's no extra cost involved. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #229
StevenSD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997.2 911

Quote:
No fee, it's referred to as a courtesy delivery. The dealer who takes delivery must agree (be in good terms with them) along with the dealer you're purchasing it from. My car will come with their normal vehicles as if it was one of theirs, go through PDI and that's it. The key here is the car doesn't ever go to the purchasing dealer so there's no extra cost involved. Let me know if you have any questions.
The dealer in Maryland told me that the only option is to have it trucked to Southern California. Courtesy delivery seems to be an exception that is not generally available.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #230
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSD View Post
The dealer in Maryland told me that the only option is to have it trucked to Southern California. Courtesy delivery seems to be an exception that is not generally available.
That is correct. Max indicated that was a very special deal based on the relationship between the buyer and dealer at the receiving end.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #231
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep

Do dealers receive holdback from BMW? I've seen conflicting information online.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #232
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Quote:
That is correct. Max indicated that was a very special deal based on the relationship between the buyer and dealer at the receiving end.
Quote:
Quote:
When I first arranged mine I went through the actual sales manager. He didn't make it seem like a big deal which now I think is odd. The strangest part is how he offered the option which is where I first leaned about it. Perhaps he knows something we don't? I'll have to ask him if this is a normal arrangement because that's how it came off when I was told about the option. Once I find out a little more info I'll let you guys know.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #233
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

is everyone getting 6-7% off MSRP? this one dealer I talked to yesterday was like X5 is a new car and will not do that much discount.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #234
BimmerM5Comp
Enlisted Member
Rep

What do you guys think?

2019 X5 40i
-M Sport package
-Premium Package 2
-3rd row seating option

MSRP: $72,330
Discount: $2,895 (4%)
Rebate: -$1,000 Loyalty
Credit: -$190 Gesture Control Credit

DOS: $2,115 (1st mo + licensing)
Monthly: $1,042
36m/10K
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #235
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fan10 View Post
What do you guys think?

2019 X5 40i
-M Sport package
-Premium Package 2
-3rd row seating option

MSRP: $72,330
Discount: $2,895 (4%)
Rebate: -$1,000 Loyalty
Credit: -$190 Gesture Control Credit

DOS: $2,115 (1st mo + licensing)
Monthly: $1,042
36m/10K
would need more info, what is sales tax where you are, that is the money factor they are charging, what are all the fees they are adding in (basically would need the tax rate, Money Factor and total with all the fees etc - monthly seems a bit high without seeing all the fees etc.

4% discount certainly could be better - a lot of dealers are willing go to 6 - 7% off.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #236
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

I’m new here and looking one for my wife but dealer in Houston give $2500 discount
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #237
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchhuor View Post
I’m new here and looking one for my wife but dealer in Houston give $2500 discount

First, welcome.

If you've not done it already, take the time to read through all th posts on this thread. Build the X5 you want on the BMWNA website and get th msrp. They will give you a code. Write down that code. Print the build on the summary page. Take that info to a dealer and tell them you want 6% off MSRP on that build PLUS whatever incentives are available. Right now I think its $2,000 in incentives if you finance through BMW and $1,000 loyalty (if you qualify). Also you can sign up for BMWCCA (Car Club of America) and get an additional $1,000 after you buy the car (not from the dealer) If the dealer says no, go to another dealer. I did it by email. I didn't actually go there in person until after they agreed to the price and they told me all the fees. As a result, I got 6% off MSRP plus $4,000 more ($3k from BMW and $1k from BMWCCA.

You might go to a dealer and get to know a CA and get their card first. If you have a "relationship" already, they might me more willing to work with you.

If they say yes to your offer, be ready to buy!

Get MSRP, discounts, and fees negotiated and then make sure you get BMWs latest APR I think its 2.89%. I don't know about leases.

Other posters have shared what they have done to get good discounts. Check them all out and pick the approach that works for you. By all means, don't pay MSRP.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #238
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First, welcome.

If you've not done it already, take the time to read through all th posts on this thread. Build the X5 you want on the BMWNA website and get th msrp. They will give you a code. Write down that code. Print the build on the summary page. Take that info to a dealer and tell them you want 6% off MSRP on that build PLUS whatever incentives are available. Right now I think its $2,000 in incentives if you finance through BMW and $1,000 loyalty (if you qualify). Also you can sign up for BMWCCA (Car Club of America) and get an additional $1,000 after you buy the car (not from the dealer) If the dealer says no, go to another dealer. I did it by email. I didn't actually go there in person until after they agreed to the price and they told me all the fees. As a result, I got 6% off MSRP plus $4,000 more ($3k from BMW and $1k from BMWCCA.

You might go to a dealer and get to know a CA and get their card first. If you have a "relationship" already, they might me more willing to work with you.

If they say yes to your offer, be ready to buy!

Get MSRP, discounts, and fees negotiated and then make sure you get BMWs latest APR I think its 2.89%. I don't know about leases.

Other posters have shared what they have done to get good discounts. Check them all out and pick the approach that works for you. By all means, don't pay MSRP.

Best of luck!

I tried that. The dealer in my area stated no one will give 6% off MSRP because there will be no profit margin (which I find hard to believe) Also, they were including the 2000$ rebate from BMW company in the discount. That 2000$ does not come from dealership from my understanding. Therefore, if I am understanding correctly, I should be asking 6% off MSRP + 2000$ rebate from BMW + 1000$ rebate from dealer for attending the X5 launch party?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #239
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I tried that. The dealer in my area stated no one will give 6% off MSRP because there will be no profit margin (which I find hard to believe) Also, they were including the 2000$ rebate from BMW company in the discount. That 2000$ does not come from dealership from my understanding. Therefore, if I am understanding correctly, I should be asking 6% off MSRP + 2000$ rebate from BMW + 1000$ rebate from dealer for attending the X5 launch party?
Maybe that dealer won't do it but another dealer will. Do you have multiple dealers? Send an email to a CA at another dealer with the build and the code from BMWNA Build your Own. In the email tell them the price you'll pay 6% off MSRP + all the incentives and discounts (you understood correctly) and give them a couple of days to respond. If they don't, move to the next one. If that doesn't work, you can use the dealer in Maryland (I think) that one of the posters was talking about and have the car delivered to your local dealer. The Maryland dealer will do the deal. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #240
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That might be your problem right there. I see you are in Portland, Oregon? If there are only one or two dealers in your area the lack of competition offers no incentive for them to deal.

In larger markets like Texas, Florida, NE, etc. there is more competition and dealers are more willing to discount.

To answer your specific questions:

Yes, 6% off MSRP (not including $995 destination, PLUS $2,000 for financing with BMW is not impossible. The $2,000 is a rebate from BMW and does not come out of the dealer's pocket. I'm not sure about the launch party rebate. If that's "BMW money" then it doesn't come out of the dealer's pocket either. Also, don't forget you can apply for a $1,000 rebate from BMWCCA after your purchase. Again, doesn't come out of the dealer's pocket.

Are you shopping in stock vehicles or looking to special order?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #241
BimmerM5Comp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
would need more info, what is sales tax where you are, that is the money factor they are charging, what are all the fees they are adding in (basically would need the tax rate, Money Factor and total with all the fees etc - monthly seems a bit high without seeing all the fees etc.

4% discount certainly could be better - a lot of dealers are willing go to 6 - 7% off.
-Tax is 10.1%
-MF is at buy rate of 0.00182
-Acq fee (750) and doc fee (150)
-4% discount is about as good as it gets here in Seattle as there are basically only 2 dealerships here in our market where Bimmers are a dime a dozen.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #242
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx5 View Post
That might be your problem right there. I see you are in Portland, Oregon? If there are only one or two dealers in your area the lack of competition offers no incentive for them to deal.

In larger markets like Texas, Florida, NE, etc. there is more competition and dealers are more willing to discount.

To answer your specific questions:

Yes, 6% off MSRP (not including $995 destination, PLUS $2,000 for financing with BMW is not impossible. The $2,000 is a rebate from BMW and does not come out of the dealer's pocket. I'm not sure about the launch party rebate. If that's "BMW money" then it doesn't come out of the dealer's pocket either. Also, don't forget you can apply for a $1,000 rebate from BMWCCA after your purchase. Again, doesn't come out of the dealer's pocket.

Are you shopping in stock vehicles or looking to special order?
My Houston dealer gave me $4500 total discount included $2000 apr credit. I did go with it then stop after I confirm about $2000 apr credit was included.
Appreciate 0