BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #111
dminko
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao1118 View Post
dminko - this is great additional information! Would you mind posting a link and/or model of what you bought from Bimmer-tech.com? When you add in shipping, separate costs of coding, and cables it is possible that it isn't that much more than opuradio.

Thanks for posting the X7 video too - I will check that out.
The total cost of my order was $1,099. I know it was costly, but at that moment, it was the only option I found when the seller looked more or less trustable.

The order included the following:
1. A Central Information Display
2. ENET cable (Ethernet to OBD II)
3. Remote Coding Session

Here is the photo attached. As you can see, they also bought it from Opuradio for me. Look at its sticker
I think you can go and buy it right there and you will save good money!

You can always order a remote coding session from Bimmer-Tech.net if you don't want to code it yourself. There is a chat widget on their website, and they are pretty responsive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #112
sao1118
Rep
Drives: X7 m50i

dminko - This made the decision easy! Agree can use them for coding but went ahead and ordered directly from Opuradio now that several on the thread have confirmed those work once installed and coded.

Will report back once I receive it and install in the vehicle. Just need to decide the coding route - which software and whether to do it myself or just have an expert do it. Thinking more about it being good to know how to do it in future as assume future software updates will require recoding.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #113
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
Great stuff! Out of town now otherwise I'd try to duplicate it. Do you think you needed to code all of those units or just the last one? Let us know if it's operating or not too. That'd be fantastic if it was back in service.
Back-up Assistant test was a success.

I doubt all those ECUs are required. I know HU_MGU [63] and USS are needed. I'm not sure about the others since I was coding them one at a time until back-up assistant was selectable.

Since you've already coded HU_MGU [63], try USS next to see what happens.
Appreciate 3
dminko10.50
XSnake1.50
      01-07-2022, 06:08 PM   #114
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
Back-up Assistant test was a success.

I doubt all those ECUs are required. I know HU_MGU [63] and USS are needed. I'm not sure about the others since I was coding them one at a time until back-up assistant was selectable.

Since you've already coded HU_MGU [63], try USS next to see what happens.
Excellent work. Thanks for doing the research and sharing with our present and future members.
      01-08-2022, 02:18 PM   #115
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Just installed my new touchscreen and coded it using Sample's instructions. I finally have touch screen working and now want to try to enable backup assistant.

A bit of caution, I would definitely extended the steering wheel out and tilt it all the way down then disconnect the battery.When I was working on the trim, I accidentally hit something and the steering wheel retracted and I broke a clip on the steering wheel column trim. It almost crushed my instrument cluster screen if I didn't react fast enough.

Thanks everyone for all information, Mckelvie37's video and Sample's coding instructions. It was spot on and it was my first time coding using e-sys.

UPDATE: I followed Sample's instructions, however I couldn't get backup assistant to work. I found all the folders EXCEPT SAS3, so maybe that's what I needed. The option appears but I receive a malfunction message and then greys out.

Note, I don't have Driving Assistance Professional Package, but I do have the Parking Assistance Package. Not sure if that makes a difference and I also have a 2022.
Attached Images

Last edited by CarFreak; 01-08-2022 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #116
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Did you exit diagnostic mode before you got that error?

Last edited by Sample; 01-08-2022 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:34 PM   #117
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you exit diagnostic mode before you got that error?
I didn't get any errors on esys. After I closed out of everything, I'm able to select parking assistant but then an error message displays on my dash and central display. After the error, parking assistant is greyed out.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:12 PM   #118
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFreak View Post
I didn't get any errors on esys. After I closed out of everything, I'm able to select parking assistant but then an error message displays on my dash and central display. After the error, parking assistant is greyed out.
Is the led circle around the car green when you try to use it?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 06:03 AM   #119
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is the led circle around the car green when you try to use it?
Yes everything looks normal with the green circle around the button on the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:48 PM   #120
dminko
Rep

Quote:

UPDATE: I followed Sample's instructions, however I couldn't get backup assistant to work. I found all the folders EXCEPT SAS3, so maybe that's what I needed. The option appears but I receive a malfunction message and then greys out.

Note, I don't have Driving Assistance Professional Package, but I do have the Parking Assistance Package. Not sure if that makes a difference and I also have a 2022.
Just to confirm, did you code ALL of these ECUs as Sample mentioned in his instructions except SAS3? (I listed them below)

1. HU_MGU [63]
2. BDC_Body3
3. ACSM5
4. KAFAS4
5. USS

I was also going to do these ECU codings but it looks it makes sense to wait until we resolve your problem here.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #121
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminko View Post
Quote:

Just to confirm, did you code ALL of these ECUs as Sample mentioned in his instructions except SAS3? (I listed them below)

1. HU_MGU [63]
2. BDC_Body3
3. ACSM5
4. KAFAS4
5. USS

I was also going to do these ECU codings but it looks it makes sense to wait until we resolve your problem here.
Correct. SAS3 is for cars with the Driving Assistance Professional Package, which I don't have. If you have it, you should see all the folders needed to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:06 PM   #122
dminko
Rep

Quote:
Correct. SAS3 is for cars with the Driving Assistance Professional Package, which I don't have. If you have it, you should see all the folders needed to make it work.
Yes, I have all the folders, including SAS3. I'm trying to understand why you have the error now if you coded your ECUs with precisely the same list of installed options except 6UY. Maybe someone in this forum has some better understanding or ideas for the root cause of this issue.

I'm not going to code my car for enabling backup assistant until next week, at least (I've got COVID last weekend).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:18 PM   #123
sao1118
Rep

X7 Touchscreen Success!!

Very excited to have successfully replaced the screen and completed the coding to get the touchscreen working in our X7.

Special thank you to those on this forum with an extra special thank you to:
dminko
Sample
Mckelvie37

Your videos, written instructions, and recommendations was incredibly useful to be able to do this replacement. I took some notes and will try to update my experiences in more detail (with some pics) over next few days. No question the trim around the instrument cluster and the cluster itself was the hardest part of the entire process.

I did not spend any time trying to code Backup Assistant - if we find the exact coding steps that make it work through the trial and error that some of you are doing, then maybe I will code that in the future. For now, just glad to have the touchscreen functioning!
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2022, 11:40 PM   #124
Rock2022
Rep
Drives: X5e

Quote:
My opuradio screen came in from Hong Kong. I found cheaper ones on eBay, but I was nervous getting one with scratches on the screen.

I got the screen delivered to me in NY within 4 days! Packaged really well and secure. Screen looks perfect and new as noted from others., even though the manufacturing date shows 2019.

I'll start the install tomorrow and I'm trying to see if I can code it myself.
Could you share the link? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:39 AM   #125
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here's the link to purchase the screen for those that might have missed it on the long thread.

https://www.opuradio.com/products/65...06-x7-g07-2242
Appreciate 1
XSnake1.50
      01-15-2022, 03:27 PM   #126
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

A couple lessons learned here but also some issues I'm trying to resolve.

In order to see the SAS and a few other modules the car needs to be running. Some of these might not be "seen" or "read" until it's on.

I can see the modules but I get error codes every time I "code" them. Any idea what's going on? Is that normal? I've coded the ones suggested but backup assistant is still not selectable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 07:53 PM   #127
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

In order to see the SAS and a few other modules the car needs to be running. Some of these might not be "seen" or "read" until it's on.

I can see the modules but I get error codes every time I "code" them. Any idea what's going on? Is that normal? I've coded the ones suggested but backup assistant is still not selectable.
Doesn't look like it coded successfully. When I code a ECU I don't get red text/errors. I was able to see all of my ECUs whether I started car or just being in diagnostic mode. On that top right box under Vehicle Profile, mine actually shows text besides just numbers.

You're connecting by VIN and choosing the S18A/date without the direct suffix? You're using the same Esys install that you used to code the touch-screen?

FYI try the high resolution fix when you run Launcher Pro. There is a tickbox that might fix how your text is all sized wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sample; 01-15-2022 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 10:58 PM   #128
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Do you have drivers assistant package? I don't have it and that why I don't see that folder.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:49 PM   #129
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Do you have drivers assistant package? I don't have it and that why I don't see that folder.
Finally figured out my issue with the errors. Had one of the wrong boxes selected. So it's coded....but same issue as CarFreak. I can select it but then gives me an error. No drivers assistant package for me either.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #130
sao1118
Rep

X7 touchscreen success

As promised, I've put together a detailed summary of my experience completing the installation of the touchscreen and coding required to enable the functionality.

It would not have been possible to do this without the help of this forum and people willing to share their experiences. Special shout out to Sample , Mckelvie37 , and dminko for all the information shared on your experience. If I missed anyone else - thank you too!

I hope none of you mind, but leveraged what you posted together with my experiences to prepare the attached PDF instructions as a somewhat consolidated document for others to reference.
Appreciate 2
91Eunos105.00
dminko10.50
      01-17-2022, 05:08 PM   #131
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Finally figured out my issue with the errors. Had one of the wrong boxes selected. So it's coded....but same issue as CarFreak. I can select it but then gives me an error. No drivers assistant package for me either.
Either SAS3 is needed or there is something else missing with cars that don't have the Driving Assistance Professional Package.

Attached is what I have in my .xml.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 07:31 PM   #132
dminko
Rep

Hi Guys! Today it was my turn to experiment with backup assistant activation. My car has "Driving Assistance Professional Package".

I got it working but it looks like something is still missing or it requires additional adjustments.

Here is what I did:
  1. VO coded USS in diagnostic mode - nothing changed
  2. VO coded BDC_Body3 with running engine - nothing changed
  3. VO coded SAS3 with running engine - nothing changed
  4. VO coded ACSM5 in diagnostic mode - now back assistant can be activated

UPDATED:
Now it works I expected. I was initially confused with a bad video on youtube. Thanks to TurtleBoy for confirming that.

It looks like we have to VO code USS and ACSM5 if a car has the "Driving Assistance Professional Package".
Attached Images

Last edited by dminko; 01-20-2022 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0